• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
VM1138

Playoffs to Be Full of Blowouts?

Rate this topic

I just wandered over and took a peek at NHL.com's potential playoff matchup. The page also has the records vs. their prospective opponents and I noticed that all but one series is very lopsided.

I know the playoffs are a different animal than the regular season, but I thought it was odd that every series except the NJD-PIT one boasts a season series of 3-1, 3-0, 4-0 or similar. Could this mean a quick playoffs?

Why must Bettman and/or Crosby be bashed in every other thread here, regardless of their relevance to the subject matter? I grow weary.

No kidding, I'd also like to understand excatly how Bettman is going to impact the playoff games anyway.

Why must Bettman and/or Crosby be bashed in every other thread here, regardless of their relevance to the subject matter? I grow weary.

Because the others are reserved for goalie/enforcer arguments.

One can never tell what will happen in the playoffs.

You have teams that may be bringing up people (like we are reported to have Helm and Leino) which changes things from the regular season.

There is also more time for preparation against a certain team. If you know you will be playing them for the next several games, you can focus more on that one team than if you are playing in a back to back against 2 different teams or have 3 games in 4 days like often happens during the regular season.

Likewise, teams are on a more even playing ground. You don't have one team on the tail end of a back to back when the other has been resting for days. You might have a discrepancy during the first game depending on when each team finished its last round or due to travel, but after that, it's even.

There is also a tendency to underestimate teams during the regular season (see Detroit vs Nashville). No one makes this mistake in the playoffs, at least not after the first game of the series.

I'm sure there are a number of other considerations, but these occurred to me off the top of my head, and I must be off for work now.

The way I see this going down, Detroit will lose in the 1st/2nd round, Osgood will play OK, but a major injury will knock us out, leaving a team with no real answers what they should do for next season, ie. sign Hossa and Franzen, or sign Franzen and get a goalie. Why not Bulin? Last year of a contract, he's getting old, maybe he'll take 3 million a season or less, and Chicago has Huet signed for such a big contract, they'll probably just go with him.

I just wandered over and took a peek at NHL.com's potential playoff matchup. The page also has the records vs. their prospective opponents and I noticed that all but one series is very lopsided.

I know the playoffs are a different animal than the regular season, but I thought it was odd that every series except the NJD-PIT one boasts a season series of 3-1, 3-0, 4-0 or similar. Could this mean a quick playoffs?

There is simply no way one can make such a bold prediction regarding the NHL post season. This is especially true here where it is not uncommon to see all of the top teams done by the second round.

Do you remember the 2003, 2004, and 2006 Redwings seasons? This aint the NBA where the best teams almost always win in the post season.

Guest Shoreline

Sadly, mindfly is right. This is the playoffs. Not the regular season. Throw all that regular season s*** out the window. It's a new season coming up.