• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
IILeiBlazeII

Johan Franzen signs extension, 11 years

Rate this topic

All rumors right now, so I will wait for my judgment on this once the numbers are confirmed. Just glad to know Franzen is sticking with us. Kenny must have a plan with the long term deals, it could just be another genius plan in the works.

I don't like this deal. There's no denying he's got a natural knack for goal scoring, and he's pretty defensively sound, but 11 years? And 3.9M per year? He's missed at least 10 games a year in each season since his rookie season, and he's 29 years old. Kind of scary.

Don't get me wrong, it's far from terrible, and the guy is clutch, but overall I think it's a little too long.

We need to look at this differently.

One of the reasons that we are in cap heck at the moment is that even if some of our older guys retire now, their cap hit stays on the books because they signed these contracts after age 35.

Now, here's Ken Holland signing these younger guys to long term deals that should get them to their retirement, and if they retire earlier than the end of their contract, the cap hit comes off!

This IS genius.

I don't know what everyone is disappointed about. Franzen is in the midst of his prime. Roughly $4 million is a great price for a guy who is becoming a premier power forward in the NHL. For years everyone bitched about the Wings not having a scoring power forward. Franzen is exactly that and now everyone expects him to play for nothing? Say he blows up again in the playoffs, scores 15 goals, and wins the Smythe. Disappointed with $4 million then? I'd guess he could get upwards of $5.5 million on the open market. Franzen's a very versatile player... he can play center or wing in a scoring role or a shut down role.

The thing about the term is no one knows what's going to happen with the economy over the course of this deal. The cap will likely go down in the near future, but maybe it will go up a few million towards the middle of the contract.

What Holland's doing is making this team as strong as possible while Lidstrom is still around. This team has been playing at or near elite level hockey for close to 20 years people! 20 years! It has to end at some point. This core is intact for years to come, and if it ends up biting the Wings in the ass in nine years, so what? How long can a team stay this good for? It's a "cross that bridge when we come to it" type of thing. Signing Franzen, Zetterberg, and hopefully Hossa to these deals give the Wings the best shot at winning some more Cups in the near future.

Would you rather have a team that's not as good for the next few years, simply for the possibility that the team will be better in 10 years?

If the Wings keep producing young talent (which it looks like they're going to), they can afford to have some overpaid players.

$4M for a perennial 30-40 goal guy is probably underpayment in this NHL. I'm good with the cap hit, the length is a bit of a calculated risk. It's just like the Hank thing; in the last years of these monster contracts, when he's old and less effective or even totally ineffective the Wings are still on the hook for the money.

$4M for a perennial 30-40 goal guy is probably underpayment in this NHL. I'm good with the cap hit, the length is a bit of a calculated risk. It's just like the Hank thing; in the last years of these monster contracts, when he's old and less effective or even totally ineffective the Wings are still on the hook for the money.

After the 5 years they can trade him or put him on waivers and send him down to the minors. Franzen still gets his money, but at least the cap hit is off the books.

I think it is safe to say... kiss Hossa bye bye unfortunately.......

Not necessarily - with Franzen at $3.9m, Flip's $3m really stands out. If he is traded, you can still get Hossa.

He turns 30 at the end of December, and has just had his first 30 goal season. He's very clutch, this is true. But he's NOT a perennial 30-40 goal guy, he's a BAD skater, he's inconsistent defensively, and without a doubt he is one of the worst playmakers in the league playing more than ten minutes per game.

$4m per year for Franzen at his age, given the contract length and the fact he is INCREDIBLY injury prone, is probably fair value on the open market. But if he were taking a hometown discount as had been rumored and hoped, he would be making less than $3m per year.

Not necessarily - with Franzen at $3.9m, Flip's $3m really stands out. If he is traded, you can still get Hossa.

Why do people think trading JUST Filppula allows for Franzen at $4 and Hossa at $6-7? The kind of math that allows that to be true is so wrong it's insane.

Flip, Stuart, and more would have to be dealt or let go as free agents to make room for those contracts.

Franzen deal done better mean under $3m. He's not worth $4m right now, so a 10-year deal close to that at his age is INSANE. I know I am in the minority with all the Franzen fanboys here, but that's the truth. If the deal is more than 5 years, he better be $2.5m-$3m per year cap hit.

Man this team will be *ahem* interesting in 8 - 10 years from now.

He turns 30 at the end of December, and has just had his first 30 goal season. He's very clutch, this is true. But he's NOT a perennial 30-40 goal guy, he's a BAD skater, he's inconsistent defensively, and without a doubt he is one of the worst playmakers in the league playing more than ten .

I'll give him credit for the 27 + playoffs last year and give him two good seasons back to back. He's a good triggerman and he has his own bag of tricks he reaches into now and again, he'll probably keep scoring, especially playing with Pavel or Hank. If he falls off the face off the Earth it'll be a pretty huge miscalculation by management then.

Why do people think trading JUST Filppula allows for Franzen at $4 and Hossa at $6-7? The kind of math that allows that to be true is so wrong it's insane.

Flip, Stuart, and more would have to be dealt or let go as free agents to make room for those contracts.

Franzen 3.9 - Flip 3 = .9 difference.

If you are suggesting I have not been over the numbers, you are dead wrong.

It can work.

Haha wow. I hadnt thought about Franzen's contract vs Filppulas. Or Clearys for that matter. I would be happy with any of them going.

Congrats Johan.

I'll give him credit for the 27 + playoffs last year and give him two good seasons back to back. He's a good triggerman and he has his own bag of tricks he reaches into now and again, he'll probably keep scoring, especially playing with Pavel or Hank. If he falls off the face off the Earth it'll be a pretty huge miscalculation by management then.
I agree, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. Kenny and Co.have been doing a damned fine job the past few years.

He turns 30 at the end of December, and has just had his first 30 goal season. He's very clutch, this is true. But he's NOT a perennial 30-40 goal guy, he's a BAD skater, he's inconsistent defensively, and without a doubt he is one of the worst playmakers in the league playing more than ten minutes per game.

$4m per year for Franzen at his age, given the contract length and the fact he is INCREDIBLY injury prone, is probably fair value on the open market. But if he were taking a hometown discount as had been rumored and hoped, he would be making less than $3m per year.

Some of your comments come out of left field, Eva. For a guy who endlessly backs up Kopecky, you should know what bad skating looks like. Franzen is strong and quick on his skates. Hardly anything close to a bad skater. Kopecky is the atrocity on skates.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Franzen 3.9 - Flip 3 = .9 difference.

If you are suggesting I have not been over the numbers, you are dead wrong.

It can work.

Z's making more next season,doesn't that affect on the cap situation?

Edited by FinRedWing