• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FunkedUp

Round 1: (2) Red Wings vs. (7) Blue Jackets

Rate this topic

I'm upset about TV coverage, Versus sucks and I don't get it in HD because I have WOW Cable.

Same here. I keep sending channel requests to them to add Versus HD. I hope they eventually do it. My emails alone might just be enough to get it done :)

Apologies if this is already posted, but here is a summary of Columbus' understanding of the NHL playoffs:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/multi...lObject=4318846

although funny, I don't think I could spat it all off in front of a camera. I was at the joe on Feb. 11 for a game against Pheonix and got asked to do the jumbo tron trivia thing. I did. Asked me three questions "who was pheonix formally known as" "who leads the team with the most goals" and "who has the most points"

Well it was hossa night and everything was geared around hossa, i had hossa on my mind. I answered the third question hossa knowing full well it was dats....I felt extremely dumb and the 18,000 fans let me know about it too.

All in all, put a cam in front you of, and you go blank.

Guest mindfly
I'm excited for the playoffs to start, simply because I've forgotten what this team looks like when it plays with motivation and urgency.

How are you so sure they will magically turn things around? There is no such thing as an ON/OFF button....

How are you so sure they will magically turn things around? There is no such thing as an ON/OFF button....

Yes there is. It is in the center of the wheel that makes up the Winged Wheel. Babcock presses it on every player before Game #1.

Edited by Mike

First off, not surprising most of these posts has us trembling in fear of a "hot goalie". Does anyone need a reminder he is a rookie? He will most definitely not be standing on his head the first couple of ROAD playoff games. I say the Wings take it to them at home, they might squeak one out at their place, but it will be too late and Wings in 5.

Nash always kills us yes, so we must concentrate on the pieces AROUND him IMO. Peca, Huselius, Umberger, et al. They are going to be quite dangerous if we focus all of our attention on Mr. Nash.

I'm not saying this series won't be tough, but come on people... of ALL the teams to be able to crank it up a notch when they want to, isn't it us?

P.S. For all the Lilja bashers out there, is there a soul on this site that doesn't wish fervently that he returns, and FAST! Hello: shot blocking, PK...

They worked hard once they saw that getting that 50th win might be in doubt. Once they got it, though, they went into rest mode. They flipped the switch on April 3rd - after the players meeting - and played near perfect games against Minnesota and Buffalo, as they fought for playoff spots.

We'll be ok. The Wings have an 8-0 ass whooping to look back on. They won't take the BJs lightly.

First off, not surprising most of these posts has us trembling in fear of a "hot goalie". Does anyone need a reminder he is a rookie? He will most definitely not be standing on his head the first couple of ROAD playoff games. I say the Wings take it to them at home, they might squeak one out at their place, but it will be too late and Wings in 5.

I'm certainly not trembling in fear over Mason, but I definitely think we should be somewhat concerned about him. Yes, the playoff pressure will probably get to him - but for a rookie to have that kind of talent between the pipes?

I think he's a legitimate concern.

I'm certainly not trembling in fear over Mason, but I definitely think we should be somewhat concerned about him. Yes, the playoff pressure will probably get to him - but for a rookie to have that kind of talent between the pipes?

I think he's a legitimate concern.

The Wings should give Mason his due. He is an excellent goalie that is extremely capable and will be good for a long time. He is not however the be all end all goalie that many make him out to be. He has played a ton of games this season and probably would have played more if he had not gotten sick. I believe he is 1-5 in his last 6 games and his GAA and Save % are down. Mason is only human. The regular season is all fine and dandy, but it is nothing compared to the playoffs.

The Wings should give Mason his due. He is an excellent goalie that is extremely capable and will be good for a long time. He is not however the be all end all goalie that many make him out to be. He has played a ton of games this season and probably would have played more if he had not gotten sick. I believe he is 1-5 in his last 6 games and his GAA and Save % are down. Mason is only human. The regular season is all fine and dandy, but it is nothing compared to the playoffs.

You're right. He isn't the be all end all. Maybe if this were years down the line & he were more experienced, I'd say he was. However, given his ability to "stand on his head" as some say, I can understand why people are bringing him up.

There's no way to know until playoff time - but here's to Mason cracking under pressure and letting in 40 goals in the first period! :thumbup: :beerbuddy:

Edited by Ms_Hockey

You're right. He isn't the be all end all. Maybe if this were years down the line & he were more experienced, I'd say he was. However, given his ability to "stand on his head" as some say, I can understand why people are bringing him up.

There's no way to know until playoff time - but here's to Mason cracking under pressure and letting in 40 goals in the first period! :thumbup: :beerbuddy:

Every bottom seed in the NHL has a "goalie that can stand on his head." Thats how most of those bottom seeds get into the playoffs in this first place. Thats also the reason why those kinds of teams don't get any further than the bottom seed - because they don't have a complete team.

Columbus could have Marty Broduer in net. Hell, the Jackets could have Brodeur in net and be as effective at employing the trap as the Devils once were, and its STILL going to come down to the Wings. It doesn't matter how good Mason plays, if the Red Wings want it, they'll get it. Simple as that. No goalie - Mason or anyone else - is going to stand in the way of a determined Wings team, unless they have talent throughout. Something CBJ, and most other teams, don't have.

Dan Ellis was absolutely brilliant against us last year and we overcame that, i think Mason will be very good for CBJ but i think we can get to him and i do not think he will play as well as Ellis did last year.

Dan Ellis was absolutely brilliant against us last year and we overcame that, i think Mason will be very good for CBJ but i think we can get to him and i do not think he will play as well as Ellis did last year.

Kiprusoff was also incredible the year before that and the Wings didn't have much of a problem putting Calgary away.

I've said it before... the only way the Wings lose this series is if Osgood gives it away. It's possible but not probable.

Kiprusoff was also incredible the year before that and the Wings didn't have much of a problem putting Calgary away.

I've said it before... the only way the Wings lose this series is if Osgood gives it away. It's possible but not probable.

(Young Guns --->)

It doesn't matter how good Mason plays, if the Red Wings want it, they'll get it. Simple as that. No goalie - Mason or anyone else - is going to stand in the way of a determined Wings team, unless they have talent throughout. Something CBJ, and most other teams, don't have.

This quote from Young Guns says it a helluva lot better for me. The Detroit Red Wings can win the Stanley Cup again. As a team, they have the talent and they have the depth. Bottom line remains - how badly do they want it?

(Young Guns --->)

It doesn't matter how good Mason plays, if the Red Wings want it, they'll get it. Simple as that. No goalie - Mason or anyone else - is going to stand in the way of a determined Wings team, unless they have talent throughout. Something CBJ, and most other teams, don't have.

This quote from Young Guns says it a helluva lot better for me. The Detroit Red Wings can win the Stanley Cup again. As a team, they have the talent and they have the depth. Bottom line remains - how badly do they want it?

Alright, to better phrase it: The only way the Wings lose this series is if Osgood and the defense play like they're uninterested (like they did for most of the season.)

Alright, to better phrase it: The only way the Wings lose this series is if Osgood and the defense play like they're uninterested (like they did for most of the season.)

There ya go and I agree.

Mostly. ^_^

Although I'm not sure "uninterested" is the right word. Problem is, right now I can't think of a better one. Mebee "unfocused"? "unmotivated"? Whadevah!

Will the motivation be there to play to potential? I think so, the DRW players seem like they want to leave something great behind and want to excel when i doesn't seem like there is much more to accomplish, i see this in Datsyuk the most out of everyone on the team but I believe it is there in every player on this team.

Here's NHL.com staffers' take on this contest:

Detroit will win if... It doesn't get flustered. Too often, good goalies seem to get in the head of the Red Wings, who like to make the pretty play and score the fancy goal. Mason has shown the ability to stone even the most offensive of teams, so the Red Wings can't lose their composure if the rookie steals a period, or even a game. The Red Wings have the talent and the tenacity to break through against any team -- as long as they stick with the game plan that has served them so well during the regular season.

Columbus will win if... They do everything absolutely right. It's no big secret to say that the Blue Jackets will have to be at the top of their game in order to solve the defending Cup champion. But Hitchcock has a way of making his team's play close-to-perfect hockey. For this team, it means getting consistent scoring from a line other than Nash's, killing power plays effectively and scoring on their own power play more often than once every blue moon. If they can do all that -- and Mason is on his game -- the Jackets have a puncher's chance here.

I had better see the wings come in fired up and keep it for 60 minutes on Thursday, otherwise I'll be quite worried. They took the last few games off so they need to be ready to go. I have confidence they will.

Weren't the jackets like 1-7 or something like that in their last 7 or 8 reg season games?

The Wings always seem to make the opposing goalie look like a god even if his team loses. I guess it's just sort of our system, or maybe because we're usually way up in shots and the opportunity is always there for the opposing goalie to appear to 'steal' a game.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the goalies we play against always appear to be really good. Mason will be great, he'll get alot of attention for his performance, and the Wings will move on to the second round.

Edited by digitaljohn88

The Wings always seem to make the opposing goalie look like a god even if his team loses. I guess it's just sort of our system, or maybe because we're usually way up in shots and the opportunity is always there for the opposing goalie to appear to 'steal' a game.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the goalies we play against always appear to be really good. Mason will be great, he'll get alot of attention for his performance, and the Wings will move on to the second round.

Opposing goalies look good when they face 30-40 unscreened perimeter shots with few second chances. If the Wings can avoid letting that happen Mason will look decidedly human.