• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FunkedUp

Round 1: (2) Red Wings vs. (7) Blue Jackets

Rate this topic

Like it was stated above; Wings need to contain Nash and keep Mason from getting hotter than a Las Vegas night.

Key to this series is to:

1. Get traffic in front of the net

2. Get rebounds

3. Do not give up any turnovers

I'd like to add to that.

Key to this series:

1. Score on Mason early- don't spot him some confidence.

2. Get traffic in front of the net.

3. Pepper Mason with shots.

4. Pound their players into the boards. Make them pay a heavy physical toll from second 1 of period 1 of game 1.

5. Limit turnovers and CONVERT when they turn the puck over to you.

6. Finish. Finish. Finish. When given a clear shot- make it count.

No Pronger...No Neidermeyer, No Getzlaf, No Perry, No Ryan, No Giguere....Instead we get Mason, Nash, and Huselius (though i heard he's hurt). I'll take this matchup waaaaaaaaaaaaay before I take the Ducks. I think it's good Columbus spanked us one game too, hopefully Detroit will come out with the hammer down and show them the caliber they don't have to make a push like our red and white do.

Wings in 6

Something tells me that Babs will get lots of millage out of that game tape.

This was my second choice of a first round opponent (Blues were first). If the Wings can't win this series, they would have lost to any other team as well. It has the makings of a perfect first round matchup; minimal travel and very little physical wear and tear. The Jackets are solid defensively and Mason is a good goaltender, but it all boils down to how hard the Wings work. If they play to their potential, they'll handle the Jackets pretty easily. If not, they'll lose this series. I'm hoping for the former.

I have to say, the matchups league wide are just fantastic. So many good matchups and rivalries in round one, can't wait for the games to begin!

Well said. This about sums it up.

I'm excited for the playoffs to start, simply because I've forgotten what this team looks like when it plays with motivation and urgency.

Tell me about it! I can't wait to watch the Wings play like Red Wings.

They worked hard once they saw that getting that 50th win might be in doubt. Once they got it, though, they went into rest mode. They flipped the switch on April 3rd - after the players meeting - and played near perfect games against Minnesota and Buffalo, as they fought for playoff spots.

We'll be ok. The Wings have an 8-0 ass whooping to look back on. They won't take the BJs lightly.

Hossa, Dats, Zets, Lids will all crank it up. Add Helm and Leino and even if they do not play - they motivate the 3rd and 4th line guys to play for fear of their jobs. You may recall one of the best streaks was when those guys were up challenging for jobs. I fully expect the red wing commitment in all zones will prevail. All we need is nominal goal-tending... (crosses fingers.)

Dan Ellis was absolutely brilliant against us last year and we overcame that, i think Mason will be very good for CBJ but i think we can get to him and i do not think he will play as well as Ellis did last year.

yeah, this year does feel almost identical to last year. We certainly lucked out compared to 1-8.

Ozzy said so himself he will be more then ready for the playoffs. If Ozzie is right and plays well, the Jackets don't have much on us.

Thankfully his fingers were crossed those other times when he said that. Just kidding - go team!

Edited by clutchngrab

Every bottom seed in the NHL has a "goalie that can stand on his head." Thats how most of those bottom seeds get into the playoffs in this first place. Thats also the reason why those kinds of teams don't get any further than the bottom seed - because they don't have a complete team.

Columbus could have Marty Broduer in net. Hell, the Jackets could have Brodeur in net and be as effective at employing the trap as the Devils once were, and its STILL going to come down to the Wings. It doesn't matter how good Mason plays, if the Red Wings want it, they'll get it. Simple as that. No goalie - Mason or anyone else - is going to stand in the way of a determined Wings team, unless they have talent throughout. Something CBJ, and most other teams, don't have.

Nothing like a little early morning Wings confidence booster to wake up to. :P You're right - when the Wings want it, they want it, and there's nothing & nobody who can stop them. (Man, it felt good just to type.)

Call me a pessimist, but I'm still a tad bit concerned about Nash & Mash against us. I'll have to wait to see how we play in the series against them, but given that Nash (I think) has the more goals against us than any other player in the NHL, I'm counting a lot more on their lack of playoff experience than I'd like to.

did i read here that it's Datsyuk who's been given the assignment of covering Nash? Whatever, it doesn't matter. Datsyuk or Zetterberg, we'll more than likely see the same type of thing from them. But what my point....that is phenomenal. Yeah, Nash kills us whenever we play, but having him go up against one of the euro twins is basically just like reducing his minutes. Nash plays the PK, but it's way different than 5 on 5. Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg are obviously going to be on the offensive, so that brings Nash into playing a whole lot of 5 on 5 defence against that line. More time in his defensive zone, leads to a lot less time in our offensive zone.

I'd like to add to that.

Key to this series:

1. Score on Mason early- don't spot him some confidence.

2. Get traffic in front of the net.

3. Pepper Mason with shots.

4. Pound their players into the boards. Make them pay a heavy physical toll from second 1 of period 1 of game 1.

5. Limit turnovers and CONVERT when they turn the puck over to you.

6. Finish. Finish. Finish. When given a clear shot- make it count.

Aren't these the keys to any series?

:hehe:

I find it funny that no one has even brought up the possibility that Nash's game won't translate in the post-season. Nobody seems to have considered the fact that hes taking his franchise into the playoffs for their first time in history, with that C on his chest. Everyone will be looking to this kid to be superhuman. Thats a lot of pressure. Not to mention the amount of attention hes going to receive.

I find it funny that no one has even brought up the possibility that Nash's game won't translate in the post-season. Nobody seems to have considered the fact that hes taking his franchise into the playoffs for their first time in history, with that C on his chest. Everyone will be looking to this kid to be superhuman. Thats a lot of pressure. Not to mention the amount of attention hes going to receive.

I agree with you here. A lot of people, mostly Columbus fans, talk about how Nash has played so well in the "biggest"games of his life being in the World Championships. That is true, but at the same time, I seem to remember him pulling a nice dissapearing act at the Olympics in Torino. (Along with the rest of the team)

But you nailed it on the head. First playoff appearance for the franchise, donning the "C", Nicklas Lidstrom, it just doesn't add up into success...I hope.

I really don't believe this whole thing about the Wings not playing to their potential. They played as well as they could've today, and we shouldn't magically expect everyone to turn it up. For this entire season, we've been saying "It's only November" or "It's only January", then suddenly "It's only the regular season." We'll all say it after Game 1, then Game 2, then what? If the Wings don't take Game 1 and 2, it'll be over. Osgood will fail, it's just a matter of when.

Columbus in 5.

WTF. Ok, everybody has a right to their opinion so if you had said BJ's in 7 or even 6, I would have just put it off as pesimism but BJ's in 5? That's just stupid. You say that the Wings are going to lose 4 out of 5 to Columbus. Come on?

I really don't believe this whole thing about the Wings not playing to their potential. They played as well as they could've today, and we shouldn't magically expect everyone to turn it up. For this entire season, we've been saying "It's only November" or "It's only January", then suddenly "It's only the regular season." We'll all say it after Game 1, then Game 2, then what? If the Wings don't take Game 1 and 2, it'll be over. Osgood will fail, it's just a matter of when.

Columbus in 5.

So, how has being a red wings fan been working out for you the past few months?

Any inclination as to what team you'll be a fan of next?

Columbus in 5.

Ok mindfly.

A few years back someone made a freaking awesome pumper-upper video of clips from the season. We could use another one around here. Anyone working on anything??

This is the best time of year!!

Columbus in 5.

Gee, I love your optimism.

I'll have a plate of crow waiting for you when we win the series. <_<

Uh oh.......... :P

osgood0.png

mason0.png

That's a shame. Those stats don't mean crap when the playoffs start. It's all what happens from here on out! :sly:

Ozzie looks so much older that Mason could be his son, lol.

Aflac, are you doing the playoff GDTs?

cause.. drool.. your perty graphics.. Nice to see them again! (do you work on an avid or work in video editing/graphic design? lol)

Edited by ilmickeyli

Ozzie looks so much older that Mason could be his son, lol.

I would agree except Ozzie STILL looks young cause of his 'baby-face'. He just has those boy-ish (I didnt say 'good') looks. The man will be 80 and still look like a freakin teenager.

Not a bad thing though! I'm 25 and people always tell me the oldest I look is 17 or 18.

Edited by This Is Bida

So I went through the thread, noticed all the discussion about TSN2 converage ect. Does anyone now if TSN does live streaming like CBC?

Anyway, if anyone finds anything for the game ( I live in BC), let all know.