• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Holmstrom96

WOW Cable Customers: Versus Not in HD

Rate this topic

Demand Versus in HD!

Hello fellow Red Wings Fans and WOW Cable Customers! Did you enjoy many FSD and NBC high-definition games? Well you're going to be left in the 480i dark for many playoff games, that is because Versus on WOW (channel 306 in Michigan) is not offered in HD. So while you're used to watching games in 720p HD, you'll be reduced to standard 480i when watching Versus (yes, that's worse than 480p).

So what should we do about it? COMPLAIN! How do we do it? Here you go:

Online Channel Request Form - http://www1.wowway.com/event/module/moduleKeyword/ChanReq/

And\Or call them: (866) 496-9669 aka (866) 4-WOW-NOW

When you call them be sure to note the Comcast offers Versus in HD, while they do not. They need to be mindful of their market, and the Michigan markets wants needs Versus in HD for Red Wings games. Normally I would speak with my dollars and switch service providers to get what I want, but WOW Cable is a great company, with great customer service, and their prices are much lower than Scamcast's non-promotional prices. Also, I've had nothing but bad experiences with Scamcast customer service.

Now stop reading and start complaining!

Edited by Holmstrom96

Guest mindfly

We can't see NHL in HD what so ever... stop whining :D spoiled americans ;)

Edited by mindfly

We can't see NHL in HD what so ever... stop whining :D spoiled americans ;)

That would have been my opinion a year ago, but once you watch hockey in HD you can't go back to standard def. It simply cannot be beat. 16:9 widescreen is an excellent format for sports, since the rinks\fields are all rectangular. The extra clarity of 720p and 1080i is simply amazing, with a good sounds system you feel like you are right there watching the game.

I did the channel request form when I upgraded to their HD package about 3 months ago. I didn't know Versus was an SD channel, so I was dissapointed. At any rate, I never heard back from them and I wouldn't get your hopes up as WOW is a pretty s***ty cable provider. You get what you pay for though, for $100 a month I have the digital package with like 25 HD channels and the second highest speed internet they offer.

This is a big reason why I just switched to AT&T U-verse. Great service with tons of HD, including VS, stupid fast internet, and all for basically the same price I was paying for WOW. No-brainer for me. Too bad it's availability is still somewhat limited.

Forget HD.

They need to show more Wings games, and then I'll worry about whether they're in HD or not.

If only atdhe.net wasn't showing these new s***ty quality streams, then I wouldn't care, but at this point it looks like the only Wings action I'll see is in highlights.

This is a big reason why I just switched to AT&T U-verse. Great service with tons of HD, including VS, stupid fast internet, and all for basically the same price I was paying for WOW. No-brainer for me. Too bad it's availability is still somewhat limited.

I wish U-Verse was available in my neighborhood, my parent's have it and amazing. The only other option we have is comcast and I WILL NEVER give those crooks another dime (directly). I know satellite's available, but I have a few cable only HD tivo's, so that's out of the question.

I'm a Kansas Citian.

I've had ComCast for years.

I definitely recommend AT&T UVerse. We just switched, it saves about $150 a month, and we have Vs in HD (though we did with ComCast, as well).

I did the channel request form when I upgraded to their HD package about 3 months ago. I didn't know Versus was an SD channel, so I was dissapointed. At any rate, I never heard back from them and I wouldn't get your hopes up as WOW is a pretty s***ty cable provider. You get what you pay for though, for $100 a month I have the digital package with like 25 HD channels and the second highest speed internet they offer.

Yeah, I've got the HD and digital package, the slowest internet speed (2 meg) and I only pay $76 a month!

Edited by Holmstrom96

I've had WOW since the day they started offering service on Westland. It is a good company but pisses me off we don't get Versus HD, NHL Network or NHL Center Ice. Hell I'd be willing to pay but thats not even an option.

Guest Shoreline

Hell, I was thinking about upgrading to the HD satellite and getting an HD receiver but I'm not sure now that I want my expectations to be this high. :lol:

Personally I've never had a problem with SD broadcasts. I kinda want to see one in HD now, though, since my Samsung HDTV has full 1080p support (probably only 720i/p at best for DirecTV).

Edited by Shoreline

It's a shame that we still have major networks still broadcast just some shows in HD and the rest in SD. By the time we are fully converted to HD (as in 24/7 every channel, every show) the Japanese will likely have gone to some crazy stuff like the Star Trek holo deck where you can watch the game as if you were at the live game. :P

Edited by C-Dub

Hell, I was thinking about upgrading to the HD satellite and getting an HD receiver but I'm not sure now that I want my expectations to be this high. :lol:

Personally I've never had a problem with SD broadcasts. I kinda want to see one in HD now, though, since my Samsung HDTV has full 1080p support (probably only 720i/p at best for DirecTV).

On my DirecTV receiver I have the option for 1080i. My TV only goes up to 720p though, and I know they support that. :)

How do you live with a 1080p TV watching SD broadcasts? :scared: Everytime I switch to a SD channel my eyes need some major adjusting, haha.

Guest Shoreline
On my DirecTV receiver I have the option for 1080i. My TV only goes up to 720p though, and I know they support that. :)

How do you live with a 1080p TV watching SD broadcasts? :scared: Everytime I switch to a SD channel my eyes need some major adjusting, haha.

It looks f'ed up to me if I stretch it to full screen, which is why I use the receiver option (think there's a TV option too) to keep those bars on the side as a normal 4:3 or whatever the regular broadcast ratio is. Now that I'm looking kinda silly I might talk to DirecTV and see if they'll upgrade the satellite/receiver for free/small cost. :lol:

It looks f'ed up to me if I stretch it to full screen, which is why I use the receiver option (think there's a TV option too) to keep those bars on the side as a normal 4:3 or whatever the regular broadcast ratio is. Now that I'm looking kinda silly I might talk to DirecTV and see if they'll upgrade the satellite/receiver for free/small cost. :lol:

If you want to do that, do not call the regular customer support. I tried for them to upgrade me to for free and they said the couldn't do it.

Instead, I called to disconnect service. The guy asked why and I said because you want to charge me $150 for the HD-DVR, plus $99 for installation and I can get both cheaper by breaking my contract with you and switching to Dish. He was more than happy to talk to me about that.

Ended up getting the HD-DVR for $10 shipping, $50 for installation, plus 1 year of free HD service. :D

If you have been with them for a while, always pay on time and order maybe one or two extra packages (I have the Sports Pack + Sunday Ticket) they are your best friend. Good luck!

If you have a 720p TV, you also have 1080i. The p stands for progressive scan, which means all of the pixels are refreshed at whatever refresh rate you have. the i in 1080i stands for interlaced, which means that your're getting more pixels than 720p, but you only get half them at a time. No one broadcasts in 1080p yet. I prefer 720p over 1080i for sports.

I have WOW, and when I got my HDTV, I also started a subscription to Dish network. They offer an HD only package, which is fairly reasonably priced. But reception does indeed suck when it rains.

If you have a 720p TV, you also have 1080i. The p stands for progressive scan, which means all of the pixels are refreshed at whatever refresh rate you have. the i in 1080i stands for interlaced, which means that your're getting more pixels than 720p, but you only get half them at a time. No one broadcasts in 1080p yet. I prefer 720p over 1080i for sports.

I have WOW, and when I got my HDTV, I also started a subscription to Dish network. They offer an HD only package, which is fairly reasonably priced. But reception does indeed suck when it rains.

Yup, this information is correct.

The highest res the HDTV is broadcast on (cable\sattelite\OTA\whatever) is 720p\1080i. I too have a 1080p TV, but the only time I get full 1080p is when I watch blu-ray movies.

I love Red Wings in HD on my 42" LCD tv!

Guest Shoreline
If you want to do that, do not call the regular customer support. I tried for them to upgrade me to for free and they said the couldn't do it.

Instead, I called to disconnect service. The guy asked why and I said because you want to charge me $150 for the HD-DVR, plus $99 for installation and I can get both cheaper by breaking my contract with you and switching to Dish. He was more than happy to talk to me about that.

Ended up getting the HD-DVR for $10 shipping, $50 for installation, plus 1 year of free HD service. :D

If you have been with them for a while, always pay on time and order maybe one or two extra packages (I have the Sports Pack + Sunday Ticket) they are your best friend. Good luck!

Funny thing here.

I didn't get the free year of HD service, but we got the $295 install fee waived and will just pay $5 more per month, installment tomorrow. I remember doing a similar retention department thing with AT&T years ago, but hadn't even though of doing this again. Thanks for the heads up! It's getting installed tomorrow morning so will be watching the playoffs in HD (if/when available). :lol:

Just a reminder: It looks like only some of the games will be televised on FSD. If you're a WOW Cable customer that means that you won't be able to watch some of round two's playoff games in HD:

Game 1 - VS (No HD for WOW customers)

Game 2 - NBC HD

Game 3 - FSD HD

Game 4 - VS (No HD for WOW customers)

Game 5 - FSD HD

Game 6 - FSD HD

Game 7 - FSD HD

So if you're not satisified with that, let them know! They're a great company, they just need more HD offerings, especially Versus in the Michigan market!

Online Channel Request Form - http://www1.wowway.com/event/module/moduleKeyword/ChanReq/

Demand Versus in HD!

Hello fellow Red Wings Fans and WOW Cable Customers! Did you enjoy many FSD and NBC high-definition games? Well you're going to be left in the 480i dark for many playoff games, that is because Versus on WOW (channel 306 in Michigan) is not offered in HD. So while you're used to watching games in 720p HD, you'll be reduced to standard 480i when watching Versus (yes, that's worse than 480p).

So what should we do about it? COMPLAIN! How do we do it? Here you go:

When you call them be sure to note the Comcast offers Versus in HD, while they do not. They need to be mindful of their market, and the Michigan markets wants needs Versus in HD for Red Wings games. Normally I would speak with my dollars and switch service providers to get what I want, but WOW Cable is a great company, with great customer service, and their prices are much lower than Scamcast's non-promotional prices. Also, I've had nothing but bad experiences with Scamcast customer service.

Now stop reading and start complaining!

Edited by Holmstrom96