Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

WOW Cable Customers: Versus Not in HD

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 C-Dub

C-Dub

Intimidation -- Now also available in classy!

• PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE (Shoreline @ April 13, 2009 - 12:01PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It looks f'ed up to me if I stretch it to full screen, which is why I use the receiver option (think there's a TV option too) to keep those bars on the side as a normal 4:3 or whatever the regular broadcast ratio is. Now that I'm looking kinda silly I might talk to DirecTV and see if they'll upgrade the satellite/receiver for free/small cost. laugh.gif

If you want to do that, do not call the regular customer support. I tried for them to upgrade me to for free and they said the couldn't do it.

Instead, I called to disconnect service. The guy asked why and I said because you want to charge me $150 for the HD-DVR, plus $99 for installation and I can get both cheaper by breaking my contract with you and switching to Dish. He was more than happy to talk to me about that.

Ended up getting the HD-DVR for $10 shipping, $50 for installation, plus 1 year of free HD service. biggrin.gif

If you have been with them for a while, always pay on time and order maybe one or two extra packages (I have the Sports Pack + Sunday Ticket) they are your best friend. Good luck!

#22 hockeytown9321

hockeytown9321

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (C-Dub @ April 13, 2009 - 10:58AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On my DirecTV receiver I have the option for 1080i. My TV only goes up to 720p though, and I know they support that. smile.gif

How do you live with a 1080p TV watching SD broadcasts? scared.gif Everytime I switch to a SD channel my eyes need some major adjusting, haha.

If you have a 720p TV, you also have 1080i. The p stands for progressive scan, which means all of the pixels are refreshed at whatever refresh rate you have. the i in 1080i stands for interlaced, which means that your're getting more pixels than 720p, but you only get half them at a time. No one broadcasts in 1080p yet. I prefer 720p over 1080i for sports.

I have WOW, and when I got my HDTV, I also started a subscription to Dish network. They offer an HD only package, which is fairly reasonably priced. But reception does indeed suck when it rains.

#23 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (hockeytown9321 @ April 13, 2009 - 01:15PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you have a 720p TV, you also have 1080i. The p stands for progressive scan, which means all of the pixels are refreshed at whatever refresh rate you have. the i in 1080i stands for interlaced, which means that your're getting more pixels than 720p, but you only get half them at a time. No one broadcasts in 1080p yet. I prefer 720p over 1080i for sports.

I have WOW, and when I got my HDTV, I also started a subscription to Dish network. They offer an HD only package, which is fairly reasonably priced. But reception does indeed suck when it rains.

Yup, this information is correct.

The highest res the HDTV is broadcast on (cable\sattelite\OTA\whatever) is 720p\1080i. I too have a 1080p TV, but the only time I get full 1080p is when I watch blu-ray movies.

I love Red Wings in HD on my 42" LCD tv!

#24 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (C-Dub @ April 13, 2009 - 10:04AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you want to do that, do not call the regular customer support. I tried for them to upgrade me to for free and they said the couldn't do it.

Instead, I called to disconnect service. The guy asked why and I said because you want to charge me $150 for the HD-DVR, plus $99 for installation and I can get both cheaper by breaking my contract with you and switching to Dish. He was more than happy to talk to me about that.

Ended up getting the HD-DVR for $10 shipping, $50 for installation, plus 1 year of free HD service. biggrin.gif

If you have been with them for a while, always pay on time and order maybe one or two extra packages (I have the Sports Pack + Sunday Ticket) they are your best friend. Good luck!

Funny thing here.

I didn't get the free year of HD service, but we got the $295 install fee waived and will just pay $5 more per month, installment tomorrow. I remember doing a similar retention department thing with AT&T years ago, but hadn't even though of doing this again. Thanks for the heads up! It's getting installed tomorrow morning so will be watching the playoffs in HD (if/when available). laugh.gif

#25 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:26 AM

Just a reminder: It looks like only some of the games will be televised on FSD. If you're a WOW Cable customer that means that you won't be able to watch some of round two's playoff games in HD:

Game 1 - VS (No HD for WOW customers)
Game 2 - NBC HD
Game 3 - FSD HD
Game 4 - VS (No HD for WOW customers)
Game 5 - FSD HD
Game 6 - FSD HD
Game 7 - FSD HD

So if you're not satisified with that, let them know! They're a great company, they just need more HD offerings, especially Versus in the Michigan market!

Online Channel Request Form - http://www1.wowway.c...eyword/ChanReq/
And\Or call them: (866) 496-9669 aka (866) 4-WOW-NOW

QUOTE (Holmstrom96 @ April 13, 2009 - 07:31AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Demand Versus in HD!

Hello fellow Red Wings Fans and WOW Cable Customers! Did you enjoy many FSD and NBC high-definition games? Well you're going to be left in the 480i dark for many playoff games, that is because Versus on WOW (channel 306 in Michigan) is not offered in HD. So while you're used to watching games in 720p HD, you'll be reduced to standard 480i when watching Versus (yes, that's worse than 480p).

So what should we do about it? COMPLAIN! How do we do it? Here you go:

Online Channel Request Form - http://www1.wowway.c...eyword/ChanReq/
And\Or call them: (866) 496-9669 aka (866) 4-WOW-NOW

When you call them be sure to note the Comcast offers Versus in HD, while they do not. They need to be mindful of their market, and the Michigan markets wants needs Versus in HD for Red Wings games. Normally I would speak with my dollars and switch service providers to get what I want, but WOW Cable is a great company, with great customer service, and their prices are much lower than Scamcast's non-promotional prices. Also, I've had nothing but bad experiences with Scamcast customer service.

Now stop reading and start complaining!

Edited by Holmstrom96, 29 April 2009 - 11:28 AM.

#26 aflac9262

aflac9262

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:31 AM

Be glad to even get Versus, let alone HD!

#27 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE (aflac9262 @ April 29, 2009 - 12:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, I understand, but I need Red Wings in HD! If I can get enough fellow fans from this website to complain they might put more weight with the request to get this channel in HD.

Once you go HD, there's no going back!

#28 pavyaz19

pavyaz19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (hockeytown9321 @ April 13, 2009 - 10:15AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Geesh, thanks for writing that so I didn't have to. There are so many misconceptions about broadcast formats these days. I blame Best Buy. I'm serious about that, I blame Best Buy.

Here's a couple other tips for all of you out there that have been lied to and misled by Best Buy...

1.) FALSE: You need a $100 HD antenna to pick up HD over the airwaves. (true: you can use any antenna you'd like, even the $9.99 one they have at radioshack).

2.) FALSE: You MUST spend $80-$150 on an HDMI cable to get the quality you're looking for. (true: the more you spend on HDMI cables usually means higher data rates... however, data rates aren't really a factor yet since everything is so compressed. Go online to a site like newegg.com and get yourself an HDMI for $10. If you're worried about it, double it and spend $20... that's still four times cheaper than the lowest price HDMI cable Best Buy carries (thanks Best Buy! You're really a classy company. You treat us so well! Thanks for carrying the highest priced cables and making us believe that's our only option.)

3.) FALSE: You need high-priced (Monster, etc) Component cables if you choose not to use HDMI - Component cables are 6 cables attached together, you'll recognize them because they are red, green, and blue (for the 3-colors you will see on your screen, which is how your image looks better, because there is more room for data to be transfered since there are 3 cables for your image instead of the previous one) and the three other colors attached are red, white, and yellow. (TRUE: These cables are simply RCA cables which are color-coded differently. The SAME cables you've always used before to hook up your VCR (red, white, yellow) can be used instead of spending $50 or more on a deception. All you have to do is recolor-code them yourself or just remember you're running the yellow cord from green to green, etc.

DON'T BE FOOLED!

Damn, I hate Best Buy for that.

#29 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (aflac9262 @ April 29, 2009 - 12:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly I dont even Get Versus...should be a channel everyone gets..I can understand a upgrade to get the HD
But is Versus THAT good? where they can justify requiring a upgrade just to get the station? GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!

Mean while i have 5 or 6 channels that dont have ANYTHING being broadcast on them..... Bulls*@t

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan, 29 April 2009 - 04:34 PM.

#30 The_Cub

The_Cub

Raindrop

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:18 PM

Anyone else only getting audio without video for the Canucks & Hawks game 5? WOW cable in Westland.

#31 drfnr14

drfnr14

OZZY, WITH THE SAVE!!!!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 548 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:21 PM

i wish i could jump in on the bitching, but im in florida and using comcast and well if its on nbc or versus its in HD. hope you guys get what u want though!

#32 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE (The_Cub @ May 9, 2009 - 11:18PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone else only getting audio without video for the Canucks & Hawks game 5? WOW cable in Westland.

I had an issue with the Wings game on Versus (and all other channels) the other day; same exact issue with audio only and no video. After a lot of troubleshooting I found out the issue was with my Phillips 42" LCD 16:9 1080P HDTV. I corrected the issue by unplugging and re-plugging my TV.

However, I doubt you're having the same fluke issue.