• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
96warrior

Darren Helm Recalled from Grand Rapids

Rate this topic

Red Wings recall Darren Helm from Grand Rapids, he'll play in Game 1 against Columbus

by Ansar Khan

Monday April 13, 2009, 3:09 PM

The Red Wings have recalled center Darren Helm from Grand Rapids and he will be in the lineup for Game 1 of the playoffs Thursday against Columbus, general manager Ken Holland said.

Helm played well for the Wings in the playoffs last year, providing speed, grit and energy. He had two goals, two assists and a plus-2 rating in 18 games. He spent most of the season in Grand Rapids due to a lack of salary cap space.

Helm played 16 games for the Wings this season (one assist, minus-7 rating). He had 13 goals and 24 assists and a minus-10 rating in 55 games for the Griffins.

No word yet on who Helm will replace in the lineup. Holland said Helm, for now, is the only player being recalled. Ville Leino undoubtedly would be the next player recalled.

Holland said forwards Marian Hossa (groin) and Kris Draper (upper-body injury) are expected to practice Tuesday and play in Game 1. He had no update on defenseman Andreas Lilja, out since Feb. 28 with concussion-like symptoms.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...elm_f.html#more

he will solidify our lines and make us even tougher to play agaisnt. Wondering aloud here but who do you guys think should sit Kopy or Maltby?

Edited by AD2044

I think Maltby will sit, although I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them out. I think they'll let Kopey play just because of what happened to him last year, you gotta at least give the guy a chance.

But either way, great news. Looking forward to seeing Helm back out there.

Maltby lives for the playoffs, I doubt he sits, Babcock even said a couple days ago he's looking to veterans like Malts and Drapes to step up like Drake did last year. Gotta be Kopecky, 8 good games out of 100 some isnt good enough. Glad to see Darren up, love his style (and his birth place ;))

It's gotta be Kopecky. Maltby is a playoff performer and knows the game. He stays until he proves he doesn't deserve the spot. Kopecky on the other hand, has never proven he deserves to be on this team, let alone a regular.

Guest mindfly

Why not call up Leino as well.. I just don't get it, what's the dude gotta do to convince the management team? He was brilliant the few games he was up.. come on :(

Guest mindfly

Spin-o-rama goal in 1st nhl game

volley goal batted from the air

rouding the net and put it in etc

yeah kopecky and maltby can all do that *not*

helm is minus in the NHL and the AHL...?

I was thinking the same thing. He was awesome for us in the playoffs last year, but that's a little disconserting. I'm sure he was playing against the top players in the AHL, but, it is the AHL.

Hopefully he provides the same spark this year...

It's gotta be Kopecky. Maltby is a playoff performer and knows the game. He stays until he proves he doesn't deserve the spot. Kopecky on the other hand, has never proven he deserves to be on this team, let alone a regular.

Exactly. I fully expect Maltby to step it up completely come playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if Babcock played Kopecky due to obvious reasons, but he really hasn't earned the opportunity.

Wow, I definitely would've thought Leino wouldve been brought up too!

As for Helm, I think he'll most likely take some time away for Kopy but I don't know. Babcock absolutely LOVES Kopy (he must see something that NO ONE ELSE does) but he said the other day (as was mentioned) that the veterans will step up and NEED to step up. I just don't see him talking about how important the role is for the veterans right now, and then sitting one of them for Helm.

Like I said, I think he'll just steal some time from Kopy. Other than that, it'll be a game by game basis on whos playing and sitting.

This had to happen, and I love this move. Is Draper still injured? I guess its possible that Helm could just be replacing Drapes.

Too bad it won't be Sammy though. Hes been terrible lately. Kopecky has been blah, and Maltby has picked it up. Honestly though, I could care less who he replaces on the 4th line. Just glad hes in.