• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Blueliner

Bettman: Penguins are model franchise

Rate this topic

Also, I think it's interesting that he talks about the amount of interest and revenue the team has generated and not the team on the ice.

Of course the two are related, but that's not what Bettman or the article focuses on.

Translation: I will go above and beyond last year to rig calls in their favor to see them back in the finals and this time win it!

I wish our franchise was more like the Penguins, trading away three players and a draft pick for Hossa and Dupuis, an obviously model move the inferior Holland wasn't crafty enough to think up (he runs on pure luck, btw), and did it yield results or what! All the way to the finals and 6 solid games before bowing to some lesser franchise team (pure luck, btw). Definitely worth the cost, even though Hossa left to some lesser franchise team later (pure luck, btw). And how they managed to keep most of their core a year later! That's a model franchise! I mean, I need both hands to count all the players they retained! Lesser franchises would be lucky to accomplish that feat. And did you see who they picked up? None other than Fedetenko and Satan! Game-makers, that's for sure! I bet Holland was chompin' at the bits trying to land those guys, but alas: lesser franchise. He's also pretty mean to the players he signs, only letting them sign for 7M tops?? They won't produce reeling in that little! They need Crosby and Malkin contracts to elicit the big numbers! I mean, Malkin and Crosby were in the top 3 in scoring this year. Thats 18M well spent! It's no wonder Datsyuk finished 4th overall, he gets less than 7M. But the Wings don't run a model franchise. I suppose us poor fans will just have to settle for another Stanley Cup this year. Bummer.

Blowing it out of proportion. Get over your hate for Bettman/Crosby. Bettman never said "Pittsburgh was a model franchise", that was the writer's interpretation. If you are going to flame Bettman at-least flame him using his own words, and trust me there are enough of his own thoughts out there to burn down a country.

Just because people like to jump to conclusions without reading the article...

The commissioner, speaking between periods of Game 1 of the Flyers-Penguins first-round playoff series Wednesday night, said what's happening in Pittsburgh is a model for other franchises.

"As we talk about the state of the franchise here in Pittsburgh, this is the 108th consecutive sellout, the club announced a renewal of its radio deal, they announced the TV ratings locally set an all-time record, of 6.9 per game, which is spectacular," Bettman said. "I noticed a lot of steel across the street. Thing are looking pretty good in Pittsburgh, and that's nice to see."

It wasn't that long ago that Pittsburgh was considered a less-than-ideal hockey area. The team was in bankruptcy and Mellon Arena was an empty, old building.

All Pittsburgh is a "model" for is the Floridas and Phoenixs of the world as far as turning the organization around. He's not saying that they're the best-run franchise or the envy of the Wings or whatever you guys are reading there. I can't really argue with the actual point being made there, and anyone who remembers the Pens pre-Crosby (you know, when they were going to move to KC) should agree.

Although that said, making a couple of no-brainer draft picks and reaping the rewards (winning=fans=sellouts=TV ratings) doesn't mean you're well run. If Tavares lives up to the hype, the Islanders will be called well-run in a few years, bank on it.

Edited by C-TownWing

Also, I think it's interesting that he talks about the amount of interest and revenue the team has generated and not the team on the ice.

Of course the two are related, but that's not what Bettman or the article focuses on.

This. He's not talking about any amount of success or putting talent on the ice, he means generating fans, which is all he cares about.

Now, if Pheonix had Crosby and Malkin, I'm sure they'd be a bustling franchise as well.

Some of you need to think before you press "post" :thumbdown:

Bettman says that Pittsburgh was once a struggling team and is now a competitive, well supported team.

He doesn't even use the word model.

Absolutely correct. And even if he did use the word, it would only be to point out that there's a model for all the franchises written off for dead (Nashville, Phoenix, etc.), as the Pens once were, to turn things around.

He is absolutely NOT saying that Pens are a model for the entire league or that they're better run than the Wings or whatever else you guys are grasping at there.

Bettman says that the situation in Pittsburgh is an example of what could (and we should hope does) happen with franchises like Tampa Bay, the Islanders, and Phoenix. A team in a well-populated area managed to develop a good, young team and solid fan base over the course of a few years.

He's not saying "Pittsburgh is awesome, Detroit sucks" or whatever you guys are hearing.

Absolutely correct. And even if he did use the word, it would only be to point out that there's a model for all the franchises written off for dead (Nashville, Phoenix, etc.), as the Pens once were, to turn things around.

He is absolutely NOT saying that Pens are a model for the entire league or that they're better run than the Wings or whatever else you guys are grasping at there.

Regardless of the "facts" I reserve my right as a LGW member to write farse comments aimed at Crosby, Malkin, Bettman, and the Penguins organization, using any information they decide to "give me" in context (or not). I would go so far as to say its my duty as a Wings fan, nay, a hockey fan to badmouth them whether justified or not.

Besides, I hear there's a funniest comment award at the end of the year. That 55fan better watch out cuz I'm gunning for the championship

Regardless of the "facts" I reserve my right as a LGW member to write farse comments aimed at Crosby, Malkin, Bettman, and the Penguins organization, using any information they decide to "give me" in context (or not). I would go so far as to say its my duty as a Wings fan, nay, a hockey fan to badmouth them whether justified or not.

Besides, I hear there's a funniest comment award at the end of the year. That 55fan better watch out cuz I'm gunning for the championship

Don't hate on Crosby and Malkin just because they are going to have better careers' then Datsyuk.

Edited by Carman

Fair enough, and good luck in the funniest comment voting! :thumbup: I think I'm on your guys' side now anyway since Carman just brought Datsyuk into this (and crapped on him) for no good reason.