• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest E_S_A_D

The Buzz is Gone in Hockeytown (W/ Article)

Rate this topic

Guest E_S_A_D

Today folks, you will see something unprecedented... a Stanley Cup Team defending their championship to a 50% full arena. Some will say it is the Euro play, others will say it's the economy, and finally the old physicality of the team comes into effect...

I think Illitch and Management really missed the ball on this. You can as of 3 pm GAME DAY still get tickets 12th row from the ice. The problem is, here is what my ticketmaster.com receipt at checkout said for pricing:

Section

Row

Seats

Description

10 - 11

PRICE LEVEL 2

Executive Level (Lower Bowl) Type2 Full Price Ticket Ticket PriceUS $105.00 x 2 Convenience ChargeUS $6.25 x 2

So you want to take your family or 4 to a Playoff game? Shell out $600 after you pay for parking, gas, etc. Too bad in this economy and this is part of the reason why the rink is empty. Freep is running last minute articles trying / pleading with fans to come out to support them! It might be very embarresing come 7:00 pm when they pan the crowd tonight. Have an extra $1000? Then go out and take your family to a game! ;)

Don't wait until second round to catch Wings' fever

By KRISTA JAHNKE • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • April 16, 2009

Hey, Hockeytown! Do you still have a pulse?

Do you still love your Wings?

I ask only because a story in today's Free Press seems to cast some doubt on the the intensity of Wings support as the playoffs start.

Tickets are still available. No buzz. No talk on talk radio.

So, what gives? Are you just waiting to kick it up a notch in the second round? Because columnist Mike Rosenberg sets out a theory today that waiting for that "inevitable" second round might be a big mistake.

There's no doubt that the anxiety surrounding this first-round match-up is even higher than normal thanks to a hot opponent with an extra hot goaltender. The city is so nervous, I think I saw some man-hole covers rattling on my way into work this morning. The angst is certainly tempering the excitement.

It is very hip to pick against the Wings right now. They’re old. They haven’t played spectacularly in the last few months. Their goalie is eh. They’re soooo 2008.

USA Today tells us that defending champions never win. And neither do No. 2 seeds.

The Toronto Star points out that the NHL salary cap prohibits champions from repeating.

Columbus is buzzing. The city of Detroit? Snoozin'.

Chris Osgood’s in the spotlight, which he despises. And at NHL.com, “Journeyman†Sean Pronger picks Columbus in six. (He admits his reason for the pick is because he’s had a “few troubling times†against the Wings.)

But let's keep our chins up. There is reason for optimism. And truly, despite all those bad-news viewpoints, that optimism is out there.

At SI, four out of seven pundits picked the Wings to win the West and three of ‘em have the Wings going all the way.

And did you notice who else is on the Wings bandwagon, at least for this round? "Evil" Drew Sharp picks the Wings to sweep!

And hey! News even came out today pointing out that all octopuses are poisonous. We knew that here in the D, didn't we?

As for Average Joe fans, here's a sampling from Wings fans on Twitter:

• kristianDavid: shaved today...the playoff beard begins now! Go Wings Go!!

• Mike_Hoffman: Ok. Playoffs are here. I've shaved, and I have my #redwings Dan Cleary #11 jersey on. This is gonna be good.

• emarquis:Absolutely can't wait to watch the Wings take on Columbus tonight! #redwings

• eliudell: We're only a few hours away now ... Let's go, #Redwings!

• ChrisHaas: Predicting Detroit eliminates Columbus. #nhl #redwings #cbj #stanleycup

Let's keep the good vibes going. A little optimism never hurt anyone.

Guest Shoreline
Today folks, you will see something unprecedented... a Stanley Cup Team defending their championship to a 50% full arena. Some will say it is the Euro play, others will say it's the economy, and finally the old physicality of the team comes into effect...

If the economy was fantastic, there would be no problem. If the Wings weren't winning every season, and expecting some sort of playoff run, there would be no problem. Overemphasis on "physical" or "euro" play there.

Edit: Oh, and I had predicted what this topic would be as soon as I realized who the OP was. :lol:

The obvious solution though to fill up seats is reduce the ******* price. Why the Illitches aren't grasping this.. who knows. Maybe they don't get that the empty crowd is bad PR.

Edited by Shoreline

I believe regardless of economy, it will take a handful of missed playoffs to realize to how fortunate us wings fans have truly been. I can admit, I became a Wings fan in mid 90's due to one Stevey Y. I have never known anything but success (despite a handful of early playoff exits.)

But I know there are a lot of people round LGW's who saw the Wings of the 70's and 80's. They know what its like, they understand. And inevitably, in time, I assume the rest of us will too.

Guest E_S_A_D
The obvious solution though to fill up seats is reduce the ******* price. Why the Illitches aren't grasping this.. who knows. Maybe they don't get that the empty crowd is bad PR.

This is my point Shoreline. 100% my point, it's a real 'F.U.' to the state of Detroit that the Illitches kept the price at $105 a ticket for FIRST ROUND. They want a sold out place? $50 a ticket, first come first serve arena wide. They'd make up the difference in beer and LITTLE CEASAR pizza.

Guest Shoreline
I believe regardless of economy, it will take a handful of missed playoffs to realize to how fortunate us wings fans have truly been.

Truly. We are fortunate enough to complain all the time WHILE winning. :lol:

Not many fans get the pleasure of doing this.

This is my point Shoreline. 100% my point, it's a real 'F.U.' to the state of Detroit that the Illitches kept the price at $105 a ticket for FIRST ROUND. They want a sold out place? $50 a ticket, first come first serve arena wide. They'd make up the difference in beer and LITTLE CEASAR pizza.

Exactly. I was thinking the same thing. Little Caesars ain't going under any time soon. This isn't even their only source of major income.

It's either the games are selling and people need to plant their asses in the seats (or give them to a much more loyal fan who doesn't like to waste money), or the Illitches need to drastically reduce prices.

Edited by Shoreline

Guest E_S_A_D
I believe regardless of economy, it will take a handful of missed playoffs to realize to how fortunate us wings fans have truly been. I can admit, I became a Wings fan in mid 90's due to one Stevey Y. I have never known anything but success (despite a handful of early playoff exits.)

But I know there are a lot of people round LGW's who saw the Wings of the 70's and 80's. They know what its like, they understand. And inevitably, in time, I assume the rest of us will too.

Good post. I can attest to this; my family and I didn't miss a game in the 1980s, almost literally. We were there through the thick and mainly thin... It was a different team then though.

When Yzerman came out on the line with Gerard Gallant and Joe Kocur and busted their butts every shift like blue collar hockey players for a blue collar city, that place rocked.

This might be a stupid question, but does Mike Illitch actually set the prices for the tickets? I mean does he actually sit there and go "these are "$30, these are $60, these are $90, etc".

Or does he have a person in charge of the ticket prices? I'm not trying to take the blame from Illitch because he certainly HAS the authority to lower the prices. I'm just wondering if he even knows what the prices are.

Guest E_S_A_D
This might be a stupid question, but does Mike Illitch actually set the prices for the tickets? I mean does he actually sit there and go "these are "$30, these are $60, these are $90, etc".

Or does he have a person in charge of the ticket prices? I'm not trying to take the blame from Illitch because he certainly HAS the authority to lower the prices. I'm just wondering if he even knows what the prices are.

He has NOTHING to do with it as far as logistics go... but he's the owner and has the final say. Just like if they're signing a player... Holland would confirm with Illitch, but make the deal happen.

Edited by E_S_A_D

Guest E_S_A_D
Unprecedented?

Apparently you never saw the Continental Airlines Arena in 2001 and 2003.

Actually I did and the place was rocking for Broduer and the devils. Totally different situation too. It wasn't economically related nor were tickets not adjusted to meet the biggest recession in 100 years.

Edited by E_S_A_D

Sigh I wish people would just get over this. we have been here for the last 18 years. the first round is kind of like the regular season for Detroit. Throw in the fact that no one has any jobs. Why would they be suprised its not sold out. People still love theri wings. they are just loving them from home or at friends houses. Get over it

Guest E_S_A_D
Sigh I wish people would just get over this. we have been here for the last 18 years. the first round is kind of like the regular season for Detroit. Throw in the fact that no one has any jobs. Why would they be suprised its not sold out. People still love theri wings. they are just loving them from home or at friends houses. Get over it

LOL. That's hilarious, this entire post. You think the Wings feel that way too when they take the ice and it's like a library? Hell no, they hate that. Babcock has commented before that it's louder for Red Wings in Arizona.

Also, that's the ENTIRE point, the tickets are outrageous and blue collar fans with minimal money should be able to go.

Actually I did and the place was rocking for Broduer and the debils. Horrible comparison.

Really?

In 2001, as I recall, they didn't sell out a single playoff game until Game 6 of the Cup Finals (when they could have clinched a second consecutive Cup).

He has NOTHING to do with it as far as logistics go... but he's the owner and has the final say. Just like if they're signing a player... Holland would confirm with Illitch, but make the deal happen.

That's what I figured. I still think we have the best owner in all of the NHL, but I really think they and the "ticket office" have dropped the ball this year. They really could have set an example to the rest of the financially struggling NHL and lowered the prices.

Guest E_S_A_D

So sad... 3:17 pm and I just did a search for SIX TICKETS TOGETHER... 2nd row are still available for 6 together. Yikes.

Guest E_S_A_D
I don't get it. Buying tickets at that price anyways isn't exactly a smart way to protest high prices of something. :huh:

Sarcasm shoreline... keep up.

Guest Crymson
Actually I did and the place was rocking for Broduer and the devils. Totally different situation too. It wasn't economically related nor were tickets not adjusted to meet the biggest recession in 100 years.

Unless I'm grossly mistaken, I do not believe that this recession even remotely approaches the dark depths of the Great Depression.

Guest Shoreline
Sarcasm shoreline... keep up.

I'm a bit skeptical of that being sarcasm, but if you say so.

Guest mindfly

What's wrong with Executive Level 105$ tickets, when i went to a regular season game in tampa they were 80$ and they were in the upper part of lower bowl... so average seats.. this is detroit red wings and in the playoffs and great seats... $105 is nothing

Guest E_S_A_D
What's wrong with Executive Level 105$ tickets, when i went to a regular season game in tampa they were 80$ and they were in the upper part of lower bowl... so average seats.. this is detroit red wings and in the playoffs and great seats... $105 is nothing

Apparently only 50% of the fans that are present agree tonight.

Guest E_S_A_D

What saddens me is that bars accross Michigan will be packed to watch the game tonight. Fans want to feel a part of it regardless. They cannot do so; however, by going to the game because ticket prices are so high.