• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

clayjoh

I miss Vladdy this time of year

Rate this topic

With all the whoopla of the start of the playoffs I still remember back to the original cup team of 96 -97 and the feel we had then with Konstantinov on Defense

Vladdy had the heart of a lion much more so than any other russian I've ever seen since

Remeber how he used to line guys up for absolutely devastating mid ice hits ?

Remember the beauty he laid on HAwerchuck in the finals

It's just sad to think of what might have been ..to have had a warrior like him with us for the last 12 years or so He was one of a kind in my opinion

Sure glad the organization still helps him along

If they need some Chris Farley type Motivational stuff this year they should bring out a highlight reel of Vladdy for the youngsters in the dressing room to watch

He was a special player

Feel free to reminisce....

With all the whoopla of the start of the playoffs I still remember back to the original cup team of 96 -97 and the feel we had then with Konstantinov on Defense

Vladdy had the heart of a lion much more so than any other russian I've ever seen since

Remeber how he used to line guys up for absolutely devastating mid ice hits ?

Remember the beauty he laid on HAwerchuck in the finals

It's just sad to think of what might have been ..to have had a warrior like him with us for the last 12 years or so He was one of a kind in my opinion

Sure glad the organization still helps him along

If they need some Chris Farley type Motivational stuff this year they should bring out a highlight reel of Vladdy for the youngsters in the dressing room to watch

He was a special player

Feel free to reminisce....

Thanks for your post. I think that's a great idea to have a highlight reel of him and his history with the Wings. In fact, I'd buy it. IN FACT, I wish they'd do a whole DVD on the Russian Five and their years with the Wings.

Next to Lidstrom, he's the best defensive player since I've seen since I started following them in '94.

Thanks again.

Edited by Vladifan

Guest Shoreline

I don't worry about what it would have been, just was happy to be around as a Wings fan at the time he was playing to enjoy his contribution to the team. Everyone who plays hockey, or gets into a car, knows the risks, and I'm sure he looks back on it now and appreciates not only the support he got but the fact that he's still alive. That accident could have been worse.

Edited by Shoreline

I don't know about a DVD since they were only together for about 2 and some years. But definitely like a half hour spotlight special or something like they did for Lidstrom, Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

The Wings themselves like to compare Kronwall to Vladdy and with all due respect I think it's unfair to Kronwall because to me Vladdy was first and foremost a pest. Opponents hated to play against him and Vladdy relished that. When you think of Nik Kronwall, you don't really think of a pest but rather a guy who will probably thread the needle with a pass.

I don't worry about what it would have been, just was happy to be around as a Wings fan at the time he was playing to enjoy his contribution to the team. Everyone who plays hockey, or gets into a car, knows the risks, and I'm sure he looks back on it now and appreciates not only the support he got but the fact that he's still alive. That accident could have been worse.

Looking back on it, it also makes me never want to declare a favorite defensive pair again.

The last time I declared a favorite defensive pair on the Wings; which to this date is still my favorite pairing since they were put together; is the Konstantinov/Chiasson pairing that played together from early in the 91-92 season through the end of the 93-94 season.

He certainly was the closest thing that we have had with a Scott Stevens like grit. He laid out a ton of guys with mean ripping hip checks. I wonder how many interference calls he would get in today's NHL?

I think it is fair to say that if Vladdy was still a Wing, we would likely have won another cup. He was such a difference maker. There hasn't been a player like Konstantinov since. Mean, gritty, skilled, strong on the puck but he wasn't dirty. He could hound you closer than your own shadow and wear you out. Man I miss watching him.

Lidstrom Konstantinov

Raffalski Fisher

Kronwall Erricson

Chelios

Imagine a world without those 2 tragic accidents.

As great of a line up that would be, I don't believe chelios would of ever became a wing if it wasn't for what happened to vladdy. And with fisch and vladdy all still here rafalski probably wouldn't be here either. but then again you could say that about anyone if history changed.

Guest mindfly

Konstantinov would have been 42 years old, doubt that he would have played by now..

What amazed me about Konstantinov's devastating hits is that he rarely went out of position to deliver them. Just a really smart player who was also capable of beautiful passes - his overall game was a little underrated because he did not see as much power play time.

Edited by egroen

Guest mindfly
As if you even know who Valddy is. Lol.

As if you even know what hockey is. Lol.

My favorite Konstantinov memory was getting to meet him Spring of 1996. He was at Gibraltor doing autographs. There was a HUGE line and he was just sitting there signing and smiling (remember, his English was not good). I finally got my chance. I shoved my jersey at him and asked him to 'do me a favor'. He got this horrified look on his face. Like what the hell does that crazy girl want? I asked him to lay out Claude Lemieux next time they played. Remember, this was right after THE FIGHT. He let it sink in what I said, then got this HUGE HUGE grin. He said 'I DO THAT for YOU'! And he did.... check it out.... here it is on youtube.

Notice too, my name is VLADYFAN and my email has been for 15 years.....

What amazed me about Konstantinov's devastating hits is that he rarely went out of position to deliver them. Just a really smart player who was also capable of beautiful passes - his overall game was a little underrated because he did not see as much power play time.

All true. His play - especially his hits - also reminds me of the old adage about bees. They're really too heavy to fly, but nobody told the bees about what they're not possibly capable of. By most standards of enforcers/goons/hitters, Konstantinov was really not big enough to do what he did.

That's where the heart came from. That's where the warrior instinct came from. Nobody. Nothing was going to keep him from his appointed rounds.