• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Columbus Columnist: Osgood is Wings' Weak Link

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline
If we take off our red colored glasses, it's hard to dispute that if the Wings do have a weakest link, it has to be goaltending. How many of the 15 other remaining teams would trade forwards with them? How about top 3 defense pairings? Now, how about starting goaltenders? Anybody who would not give the lowest number to the third question hasn't been watching the same team I have. Sure Ozzie has been named 1st star two games in a row and he has played light years better the 1st two playoff games than he did during the regular season. But the fact remains that the general premise of the article is correct....Ozzie IS the weakest link.

Maybe you didn't get the memo, but the regular season is behind us now. I think you need a pair of red colored glasses, as they seem to invoke a bit more sensibility.

Here you go, you guys will like this:

Red Wings goaltender Chris Osgood, on his doubters: "People that doubt me don't really know me. So I don't really listen to it. What means most to me is when I step on the ice and fans are chanting my name, like they have for 15 years. Maybe (the doubters) are jealous (the fans) love me so much."

If we take off our red colored glasses, it's hard to dispute that if the Wings do have a weakest link, it has to be goaltending. How many of the 15 other remaining teams would trade forwards with them? How about top 3 defense pairings? Now, how about starting goaltenders? Anybody who would not give the lowest number to the third question hasn't been watching the same team I have. Sure Ozzie has been named 1st star two games in a row and he has played light years better the 1st two playoff games than he did during the regular season. But the fact remains that the general premise of the article is correct....Ozzie IS the weakest link.

ozzie.jpg

It's only two games but I just thought I would illustrate the fact that our "weakest link" is the best goaltender so far in the playoffs.

Thing is, it's a stupid point to make right now. Yeah, if the Wings have a potential weakness, most would probably agree that it's Ozzie. But he (as in the man himself, not just the team in front of him) is coming off owning the Jackets in back-to-back games. He's been very sharp from a technical standpoint, he's made the big saves -- and bottom line: he's held the opposition to just one goal across 120 minutes. That's complete ownage, "weakest link" or not.

Weak link? What's that?

They don't have the scoring depth.

They don't have the back end skill.

They don't have physicality or hitting.

They don't have faceoff ability.

They don't have veteran presence.

They don't have energetic youngsters.

They don't have cup experience.

They don't have a good system.

They don't have shutdown forwards.

They take too many penalties.

They don't have fan support.

They don't have heart.

They don't have leadership.

They don't have good coaching.

They don't have good goaltending.

Weak link? What's that?

They don't have the scoring depth.

They don't have the back end skill.

They don't have physicality or hitting.

They don't have faceoff ability.

They don't have veteran presence.

They don't have energetic youngsters.

They don't have cup experience.

They don't have a good system.

They don't have shutdown forwards.

They take too many penalties.

They don't have fan support.

They don't have heart.

They don't have leadership.

They don't have good coaching.

They don't have good goaltending.

HAVE YOU SEEN THEIR TEETH???

FLOSS PEOPLE! MY GOD.

Sorry about that columnist, he's obviously as frustrated as most of us are. I'm not sure how he can be so confident that Ozzy is the weak link, look how he's played. I can see where he is coming from looking at what Osgood did in the regular season but honestly not too many jackets fans, or even hockey fans in general remembered how well Osgood plays in the playoffs. Everyone was like, we want Detroit first round because Osgood is a sieve. Osgood has shut that idea down. The columnist used the word shaky, do you call going to the top of your crease, or further, to cut down angles on shots shaky? not quite that's what I call confidence and to be honest the jackets playing like they are will just result in Ozzy getting even more momentum heading into future rounds. I'm not saying I've given up on my team quite yet, we are half way done the series, depending if we can create chances we could compete against you but if we continue going down the path we are headed it will be an easy sweep for Ozzy and your Wings.

I think this article is based on frustration and a way to try and pump up himself, the city, and the organization after getting their lunch handed to them, or should I say shoved down their throat. Any one associated with the Blue Jackets would have been a complete fool to think playing the Red Wings would be easy.

Every team has a weakest link. I don't think it takes a genius to see that the Wings strongest points doesn't include goaltending. Holland himself has said he'd rather spend the majority of their cap money on the forwards and defense. The Wings don't need a $7+ Million goalie, when they allow 20-25 shots on net a game.

Anyone playing the Wings, their goal to beat them is to take at least 30 shots a night. But try, when the Wings have the puck the entire game.

It's our system.

Maybe you didn't get the memo, but the regular season is behind us now. I think you need a pair of red colored glasses, as they seem to invoke a bit more sensibility.

Maybe you didn't get the memo either.....2 wins vs Columbus at home does not yet make a successful playoff run.

I'll maintain a sense of objectivity and stand by a prediction (and I certainly hope it doesn't happen) that if the wheels fall off, the blame will fall squarely between the pipes.

I am guessing they mean one of the most important links. when he is on the wings are invincible... when he is off its all up in the air. Weakest link isn't exactly what they are looking for but i can see where the hopes of columbus practically live and die with how ozzie is playing.

Maybe you didn't get the memo either.....2 wins vs Columbus at home does not yet make a successful playoff run.

I'll maintain a sense of objectivity and stand by a prediction (and I certainly hope it doesn't happen) that if the wheels fall off, the blame will fall squarely between the pipes.

having a .5 Goals for on the road when you are the team with only 3 home games doesn't make for a successful playoff run either ;)

Edited by OsGOD

I am guessing they mean one of the most important links. when he is on the wings are invincible... when he is off its all up in the air. Weakest link isn't exactly what they are looking for but i can see where the hopes of columbus practically live and die with how ozzie is playing.

having a .5 Goals for on the road when you are the team with only 3 home games doesn't make for a successful playoff run either ;)

Were you predicting a successful playoff run for the BJ's? I certainly wasn't. But, a successful attempt at overstating the obvious anyway.

Clearly this guy tuned in at the start of the second period of Game 1, because anyone in their right mind would've gave credit to Oz for that performance.

That being said, what does it matter how many shots he faces? Any goaltenders' job when playing for the Winged wheel is to make timely saves, because that's generally all you get. That doesn't make him the weak link, just less utilized. That being said, thus far Oz has done exactly what the guys in front of him have needed. I don't care about the rest.

So because Osgood COULD start playing poorly, we should all stop congratulating and him and being happy for how well he has played.

That's the dumbest logic I've ever heard. He's been playing well which means there's absolutely no reason for guys like you or the article writer to jump all over him as if he's done something wrong already. Give the guy some credit. If we want to congratulate him on a job well done, let us.

You and I both know damn well that if he plays ONE bad game, threads will be up here like mad about how much he sucks.

So give it up. Let us enjoy his good play.. and for God's sake, acknowledge it.

Were you predicting a successful playoff run for the BJ's? I certainly wasn't. But, a successful attempt at overstating the obvious anyway.

ah my bad i was taking you as a BJ's fan ragging on us for only being up 2-0 after 2 games.

I say so far a .500 GAA and 2-0 lead in the series is a great playoff run and very successful. We are 100% in the games we have played, cant get any better than that

Edited by OsGOD

So because Osgood COULD start playing poorly, we should all stop congratulating and him and being happy for how well he has played.

That's the dumbest logic I've ever heard. He's been playing well which means there's absolutely no reason for guys like you or the article writer to jump all over him as if he's done something wrong already. Give the guy some credit. If we want to congratulate him on a job well done, let us.

You and I both know damn well that if he plays ONE bad game, threads will be up here like mad about how much he sucks.

[/

Did I ever "jump on Ozzie"? Nobody is scrutinizing you for giving Ozzie credit....it is well deserved. If people would actually read what I've said, I've just pointed out that goaltending is the weakest part of Detroit's team. Is that an outlandish statement? Nobody is any happier than I am that Ozzie is playing well. I live in Oklahoma and have been a Wings fan for over 20 years. I've probably spent as much money as most of the people living in Michigan going to watch them play. I was at game 3 (seats on the ice) for game 3 of the Dallas series last year, at game 1 of the Finals against the Pens in Detroit (seats on the ice again), and was actually stupid enough to be one of the what appeared to be less than 50 people at Game 4 in Pittsburgh to wear a Wings jersey (most expensive tickets of all......and the most rude treatment by fans in history). If you think that goaltending isn't the weakest part of the team.....I respectfully disagree....but I'd have to think you're in the minority.

Did I ever "jump on Ozzie"? Nobody is scrutinizing you for giving Ozzie credit....it is well deserved. If people would actually read what I've said, I've just pointed out that goaltending is the weakest part of Detroit's team. Is that an outlandish statement? Nobody is any happier than I am that Ozzie is playing well. I live in Oklahoma and have been a Wings fan for over 20 years. I've probably spent as much money as most of the people living in Michigan going to watch them play. I was at game 3 (seats on the ice) for game 3 of the Dallas series last year, at game 1 of the Finals against the Pens in Detroit (seats on the ice again), and was actually stupid enough to be one of the what appeared to be less than 50 people at Game 4 in Pittsburgh to wear a Wings jersey (most expensive tickets of all......and the most rude treatment by fans in history). If you think that goaltending isn't the weakest part of the team.....I respectfully disagree....but I'd have to think you're in the minority.

So far, through the first two games, goaltending has been the strongest part of the team. This is evidenced by the fact that Osgood was named first star in both games, and has been the best goaltender so far in the playoffs statistically in every important category.

Granted, the Wings have not displayed much weakness, other than perhaps a slow start in Game 1 that was, for the most part, eliminated in Game 2. But that doesn't mean that Osgood is the weak link because the Wings are strong in other areas.

Guest Shoreline

You don't happen to be "boomer", the one I had on ignore, do you? If so, you'll go right back there. The stupidity in your posts stands out just the same.

You blatantly ignored how Osgood has been the team's stalwart and largely considered amongst the best thusfar in the postseason. He's got plenty of time to screw up and for people to say he sucks ass, but to suggest right now he's the weakest link isn't objective, logical, rational, or even reasonable. It's typical Osgood bashing. If there was any objectivity to it, you'd probably be waiting until he screwed up to make such an outlandish suggestion. If the Sharks and Wings postseason's thusfar hasn't been speaking loudly enough, the regular season is the regular season, the postseason is the postseason.

Time for you to buy those red colored glasses. They apparently increase rationality. The team as a whole is winning, and this stupid talk about the weakest link is only for people who aren't Wings fans (like the Jackets writer) or unappreciative Wings fans with nothing better to do than troll.

Edited by Shoreline

That writer in Columbus is obviously an idiot, who could not have watched the same 2 games we all did. Maybe he's just looking for anything to latch onto at this point, seeing how his team is getting a rather rude introduction to the playoffs courtesy of the Wings. I understand it's the easy thing to do by saying Ozzie is the weak link, but he's been absolutely outstanding so far, and I really hope it does stay that way. I've been watching Ozzie since he started playing, and sooner or later he will finally get the respect he deserves.

I don't think it takes a genius to see that the Wings strongest points doesn't include goaltending.

But like eva said, Ozzie's been our best player through the first two games. So again, for this Jackets fan to come out and call him the weakest link right now is, while perhaps technically true, basically really stupid.

You don't happen to be "boomer", the one I had on ignore, do you? If so, you'll go right back there. The stupidity in your posts stands out just the same.

You blatantly ignored how Osgood has been the team's stalwart and largely considered amongst the best thusfar in the postseason. He's got plenty of time to screw up and for people to say he sucks ass, but to suggest right now he's the weakest link isn't objective, logical, rational, or even reasonable. It's typical Osgood bashing. If there was any objectivity to it, you'd probably be waiting until he screwed up to make such an outlandish suggestion. If the Sharks and Wings postseason's thusfar hasn't been speaking loudly enough, the regular season is the regular season, the postseason is the postseason.

Time for you to buy those red colored glasses. They apparently increase rationality. The team as a whole is winning, and this stupid talk about the weakest link is only for people who aren't Wings fans (like the Jackets writer) or unappreciative Wings fans with nothing better to do than troll.

Ahh...another idiot who apparently can't read. I ignored nothing, you mental midget. And Ozzie doesn't have to screw up to be the weakest part of a superior team. All teams...good, bad, great or indifferent, common sense would tell you that no matter how stong the three components are, one would have to be the weakest of the three. Would you agree with that assumption, Einstein? I maintain that even though Ozzie has been steller through the first two games (home games I might add vs. a playoff virgin), he is in fact the weakest part of the team. I say that the Wing's forwards and blueline, relative to those of the other playoff teams, are stronger overall. If you can't at least concede that this might be true, then you are guilty of the stupidity that you accused me of. And no, I not anyone named Boomer that you might have so harshly punished by ignoring. Give me a break!!

Ahh...another idiot who apparently can't read. I ignored nothing, you mental midget. And Ozzie doesn't have to screw up to be the weakest part of a superior team. All teams...good, bad, great or indifferent, common sense would tell you that no matter how stong the three components are, one would have to be the weakest of the three. Would you agree with that assumption, Einstein? I maintain that even though Ozzie has been steller through the first two games (home games I might add vs. a playoff virgin), he is in fact the weakest part of the team. I say that the Wing's forwards and blueline, relative to those of the other playoff teams, are stronger overall. If you can't at least concede that this might be true, then you are guilty of the stupidity that you accused me of. And no, I not anyone named Boomer that you might have so harshly punished by ignoring. Give me a break!!

So far in the postseason, Osgood has been the best goaltender. He has made numerous HUGE stops that have been game-saving or game-changing plays in that they prevented Columbus from scoring goals at key moments when the score was still close. Would you argue they have had the best defense or best offense, given the numbers posted by other teams?

Edited by eva unit zero

Guest Shoreline

Since this team works as a unit, and is winning, only a truly brilliant person is going to sit there and talk about some ambiguous "weakest link", right? Right. :lol: Keep digging the hole deeper, pretender.

So far in the postseason, Osgood has been the best goaltender. He has made numerous HUGE stops that have been game-saving or game-changing plays in that they prevented Columbus from scoring goals at key moments when the score was still close. Would you argue they have had the best defense or best offense, given the numbers posted by other teams?

One could argue that Hiller's numbers in 2 road wins vs. the #1 seeded Sharks were as impressive if not more so than Ozzie's.....also, I think the wing's offense at 4 goals a game is 2nd only to Boston. Ozzie has made some great saves, but I think there have been long periods of time in both games where he has faced a minimal amount of shots. Let me pose the question to you. 83-84 Oilers, 76-77 Canadians, 01-02 Redwings....all 3 very stong teams, correct? But like it or not, one of them is THE WEAKEST. Same analogy applies to the Redwings. Superior Offense and Defense...............Goaltending, while excellent so far, in my opinion, is just a notch below. I never said that Ozzie wasn't good....all I said is that he is the weakest of the 3 components and that if one of the 3 breaks down, in my opinion, it will be Ozzie. Is that so outrageous that it is beyond belief?