• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Columbus Columnist: Osgood is Wings' Weak Link

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline

If Ozzie is the Wings weak link, what does that make Nash and Huselius?

I've never heard of a weak link posting a shutout and only allowing 1 goal in 120 minutes of playoff hockey. That must make Nash the weak link for the Jackets because he has 0 points in 2 games and has done nothing. So much for playing well in the big games. Our defense has shut down Nash and the rest of the Jackets and Ozzie is playing like playoff Ozzie. Give the guy some credit. He has won 3 Stanley Cups, 2 as a starter, for a reason.

:lol:

Oh please. Ozzie has played out of his mind these past few games, and if the BJs can't acknowledge that, then they're going to lose this series. Yes, I realize this is the columnist speaking and not the team/coach, but still, was he even watching? Ozzie has steadily been getting better this past month, if he can't see that, it's his own fault.

OTOH, I can understand why they think Ozzie might be the weakest link, and on a team with our players on offense and defense I can see why they might pick on Ozzie (all the cool kids are doing it).

Dude just comes off as ignorant to me.

I posted this response in another thread with this link posted in it, but here's the jist of what I said.

1. We don't chant Ozzie because we think he's weak. We chant Ozzie because we appreciate what he's done for us at the time.

2. When have the Red Wings EVER been known as a team to get in the heads of? We're amazingly good at not caring what you say and do.. we've been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt.

I've never heard of a weak link posting a shutout and only allowing 1 goal in 120 minutes of playoff hockey. That must make Nash the weak link for the Jackets because he has 0 points in 2 games and has done nothing. So much for playing well in the big games. Our defense has shut down Nash and the rest of the Jackets and Ozzie is playing like playoff Ozzie. Give the guy some credit. He has won 3 Stanley Cups, 2 as a starter, for a reason.

Well put my friend! Does anyone really need to say anything else? :ranting:

I don't think calling Osgood the Weak Link is smart. He seems to feed off of that kind of criticism and really uses it to motivate him. In fact, a better attempt to get in Osgood's head would be to praise him and kiss his ass into a state of complacency. But even then it's still feeble.

The part where he said Ozzie hasn't been challenged was a head-scratcher, since he pretty much bailed us out early in game 1, and also had some big-time stops last night.

You can tell they thought they were on our level based on the season series, but didn't realize that we had another gear. Now they've resorted to saying Osgood sucks, except in a mainstream-journalism-acceptable way. They're desperate and grasping at straws.

Actually, what I don't get is how the writer says that Osgood is "fighting shots"? Earlier during the regular season before his sabbatical, he was definitely fighting shots. But I've watched both games and I haven't really seen it once, at least not in the way he was earlier in the regular season. Anyone else think he's "fighting shots"?

Their is no doubt that Osgood is playing amazing, but the D and offense by Detroit has been perfect as well, Osgood doesn't have to face sustained pressure since Columbus can't match the Wings intensity. A better team may be able to crack Osgood, but if the Wings keep playing the way they are, they should be able to cruise to the western final.

Maybe someone should show him this

18 results: 2008-2009 - PLAYOFFS - GOALIE - SUMMARY - TOTAL WINS LEGEND ›

Summary | Bios | GAA Leaders | Penalty Shots | Save % Leaders | Shootouts | Shutouts | Special Teams

Player Team GP W L OT SA GA GAA Sv Sv% SO G A PIM TOI

1 Roberto Luongo VAN 2 2 0 0 56 1 0.50 55 .982 1 0 0 0 119:51

2 Chris Osgood DET 2 2 0 0 46 1 0.50 45 .978 1 0 0 0 119:52

3 Marc-Andre Fleury PIT 2 2 0 0 67 3 1.30 64 .955 0 0 0 2 138:29

4 Tim Thomas BOS 2 2 0 0 59 3 1.50 56 .949 0 0 1 0 119:39

5 Henrik Lundqvist NYR 2 2 0 0 70 3 1.50 67 .957 1 0 0 0 119:54

6 Nikolai Khabibulin CHI 2 2 0 0 57 4 2.00 53 .930 0 0 0 0 120:06

7 Jonas Hiller ANA 1 1 0 0 35 0 0.00 35 1.000 1 0 0 0 60:00

8 Martin Brodeur NJD 2 1 1 0 51 3 1.48 48 .941 0 0 0 0 122:23

9 Cam Ward CAR 2 1 1 0 73 5 2.44 68 .932 0 0 0 0 122:36

10 Jaroslav Halak MTL 1 0 0 0 5 0 0.00 5 1.000 0 0 0 0 20:00

11 Simeon Varlamov WSH 1 0 1 0 24 1 1.02 23 .958 0 0 0 0 59:09

12 Chris Mason STL 2 0 2 0 57 4 2.03 53 .930 0 0 0 0 118:24

13 Evgeni Nabokov SJS 1 0 1 0 17 2 2.03 15 .882 0 0 0 0 58:56

14 Miikka Kiprusoff CGY 2 0 2 0 61 6 3.03 55 .902 0 0 0 2 119:23

15 Martin Biron PHI 2 0 2 0 82 7 3.04 75 .915 0 0 0 0 138:14

16 Steve Mason CBJ 2 0 2 0 73 8 4.00 65 .890 0 0 0 0 119:52

17 Jose Theodore WSH 1 0 1 0 21 4 4.07 17 .810 0 0 0 0 58:58

18 Carey Price MTL 2 0 2 0 64 8 4.80 56 .875 0 0 0 0 99:32

Actually, what I don't get is how the writer says that Osgood is "fighting shots"? Earlier during the regular season before his sabbatical, he was definitely fighting shots. But I've watched both games and I haven't really seen it once, at least not in the way he was earlier in the regular season. Anyone else think he's "fighting shots"?

yes, and he is beating though shots asses

Wow, a massive conspiracy to make Ozzie feel good?

No, it's just that we are either A) Excited that he's playing amazing and always had faith. or B) Had doubts but are happy to see we were wrong.

Not a conspiracy. Just a good goalie who deserves a little praise after all he crap he takes from everyone.

That's what passes for journalism in Columbus?

Stringing together words to make sentences is like doctorate level stuff in Columbus, so whenever that happens, they publish it.

Somebody needs to show this to Ozzie, stat. The more stuff like this happens, the better he plays. One more "Osgood is shaky" column and the next game will end up Detroit 5, Columbus -1.

I don't think calling Osgood the Weak Link is smart. He seems to feed off of that kind of criticism and really uses it to motivate him. In fact, a better attempt to get in Osgood's head would be to praise him and kiss his ass into a state of complacency. But even then it's still feeble.

I had the same reaction. And then I suggested on that site that our two teams obviously have different concepts of team play. The Wings not only support Oz, they support each other with their excellent passing, aggression and defense. Meanwhile four (I think...) different members of their "team" - if you count Hudler's shot going off the Jax's butt, have hurt their goalie with puck deflections.

Go figure.... :blink:

Guest lnvincible
I had the same reaction. And then I suggested on that site that our two teams obviously have different concepts of team play. The Wings not only support Oz, they support each other with their excellent passing, aggression and defense. Meanwhile four (I think...) different members of their "team" - if you count Hudler's shot going off the Jax's butt, have hurt their goalie with puck deflections.

Go figure.... :blink:

While i was watching the game this guy was saying nothing good and everything bad about them.

With the way he's been playing the Wings must a chain stronger than what they where using in that monster truck tug-o-war competition they where doing prior to the Montreal/Boston game on Versus.