• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

albo23

Fight in the stands

Rate this topic

i showed this to a buddy and he went nuts, he contacted all the local news teams w/ the story and link and also espn... i sent channle 4 a email just to make him happy but i know its a long stretch... who knows. maybe they can find the fan and see how hes doing, and find the ackets fan and hold him accountable.

I just posted this over at HF boards, Im sure it will be deleted in about 8 seconds...

Columbus boards at HF

Well since the top shelf appreciation thread was closed for whatever reason :huh:. Check out dispatch.com and see a picture of him taking down the wings fan.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/index.html

Picture 1 of 4 on the front page.

jacketsfans200.jpg

This is seriously what you're proud of?

And please don't call me a troll or delete my post; if you fans are condoning someone attacking a fan of a rival team and starting threads calling them a hero, then people have a right to respond, even if they disagree.

So Top shelf is your big hero? Jumping a Red Wing fan at your arena, and getting into something with security at Joe Louis? I guess we better hope no Wing gets a hat trick at your arena, or else it might turn into a Top Shelf riot.

How about enjoy your teams first playoff berth ever, and not resort to goonery over a tradition that's existed about 10 times as long as your franchise has.

And Mod's, I'm sure you'll delete this in about 10 seconds, but let me ask you this; Why do you leave posts up condoning violence, but take down the ones that call BS on the whole practice. Sure you closed the "Top Shelf" thread, but you deleted all of the posts not in agreement with the condoning of violence. That doesn't sound very mod-like to me. I guess you get to pick and choose.

I posted this in the GDT but it seems appropriate here as well:

You have to understand that you are dealing with the same people who check the license plates of cars during a Michigan / Ohio State game, the proceed to be complete animals to anyone driving a car from Michigan.

"Fans" in Columbus are a special strain of retarded. They take things entirely too far regarding sporting events. Some of them tend to take things a bit too seriously and then want to turn every indiscretion into a physical battle.

Hopefully the Wings can finish the job on Thursday and get the hell out of town. People rag on Detroit for being a decaying city, but at least the fans are generally respectful of visiting teams' fans. Columbus is filled with mouth-breathing goons who start fights and couch fires.

I posted this in the GDT but it seems appropriate here as well:

You have to understand that you are dealing with the same people who check the license plates of cars during a Michigan / Ohio State game, the proceed to be complete animals to anyone driving a car from Michigan.

"Fans" in Columbus are a special strain of retarded. They take things entirely too far regarding sporting events. Some of them tend to take things a bit too seriously and then want to turn every indiscretion into a physical battle.

Hopefully the Wings can finish the job on Thursday and get the hell out of town. People rag on Detroit for being a decaying city, but at least the fans are generally respectful of visiting teams' fans. Columbus is filled with mouth-breathing goons who start fights and couch fires.

I laughed out loud at that one.

Youre 100% right, it just pisses me off. I know it's pointless though to argue with them...

I have a PVR so I watched this skirmish a few times.

This TopShelf character sounds like a grade-A loser.

First, I wouldn't be shocked in the least if he was drunk or well in-the-bag for either of his altercations. I just love guys who can't find the sack to do stuff like this while being sober.

The guy coming down the steps also looked like he had 1 too many. So cheers to TopShelf for jumping a drunk guy, from behind.

It really says a lot about a grown-man that starts fights at a sporting event.

I've been to Columbus wearing a Wings jersey and I never got any hassles. Their fans were great and we had no problems. TopShelf is the exception to the rule as there's always a meathead in every bunch and this drunken coward sounds like he meets the status-quo.

Edited by Hank

What a perfect distraction. Let security gather up over here, while the octopus is getting tossed over here.

:beerbuddy:

That sounds like something R.E. Lee would do, divide your forces in the face of overwhelming odds.

/hey it worked at Antietam

//sorry, I'm a civil war buff :blush:

That's probably a good thing. Joining other boards just to start a flame war is considered a no-no around here. It tends to lead them back here to start little flame wars of their own...

And we definitely don't want that...

:thumbup:

I couldn't agree more.

I wish I hadn't went to bed halfway thru the 3rd, but it probably wouldda just pissed me off to see that anyway. I am also another one guilty of assuming Ohio fans were classy as *hit after watching Michigan/Ohio St. games.. but this takes it to a new level. I hope DRW win this next game in carbon-copy fashion (score early), take the crowd and the team out of it and get this series over with.

That said, don't think these guys are the worst- I watched most of the CGY-CHI game the other night on VS and it just reminded me how much playing in Calgary absolutely sucks. That has to be one of the most abrasive team/fanbase ever.

Somewhat ironic SandMan...

The percentage of Blue Jackets fans who are classless, poor losers is probably identical to the percentage of Red Wings fans that are classless, poor losers.

Predators and Penguins aside, there are no NHL teams with fans that are inherently ****** bags.

I would add Montreal fans to that list:

All ears will be tuned in to hear if the Bell Centre crowd will embarrass itself again by booing the American national anthem, a disrespectful act that has occurred far too often during recent playoff years in the cavernous home of the Montreal Canadiens.

There is not much that shows less class in my opinion.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
I know we all love to make fun of Ohio, but I didn't actually think they were that bad.

Wrong-O-

Ohio is sort of an odd state. I'm from Cleveland originally but live in Cincinnati now. Bengals fans are atrocious. I don't even wear my Browns jersey to games here anymore b/c I went to two games in back to back years and ended up in fights in both of them. Just not worth it.

On the flip side, Browns fans can be pretty ornery too when it comes to the Steelers or Ravens coming to town.

As for the BJ's, my assumption would be that it was simply some drunken, "tough guy" ******* pissed about losing, etc..... From my experience, Ohioans are pretty nice people. But we're hard. We love our sports and after living here for almost all of my 32 years can attest to the fact that Ohioans don't mind getting into fights at sporting events.

I blame it on the reputation we have as a farming state with nothing but a bunch of hillbillys riding tractors on the street and such. The good ol' boy syndrome.

Being married with 2 small children, I find it best now not to represent any team when I go to a sporting event. I just mind my own business, cheer when appropriate and avoid the mess. People don't realize that all it takes is 1 punch for you to end up a vegetable or in prison. Not worth it.

Yeah I forgot about that and it seemed like some of them were doing that last game in Montreal too, that is very classless good point.

This is a real serious issue in Columbus. As a UofM fan I've done several road trips to watch Mich play. Each fan base has their share of losers, ours included, but Columbus fans are just beyond description. I've been to 2 OSU/UofM games down there and the second one we parked in Toledo and rented a car to go the rest of the way(Mich plates are big trouble). I also carried my jersey and didn't put it on till I was in the stadium, if they know your a fan of Michigan you are at risk on the streets.

Now this new hero, Low Shelf or whatever he's called, he could have just as easily grabbed octopus guy and waited for security. That's not how they are wired down there. I usually enjoy reading opponents GDT's even when we lose, but I had to stop when the loving for their goon started. Not one person it the thread thought he went overboard, not one. That sums up Columbus for you.

I hope octopus guy is ok. I hope he had bail money too, reading their thread someone said he was arrested and jailed. Not sure if that's true but it wouldn't surprise me. It seems they figured out a defense for the "I have 2 tickets" octopus attack.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
This is a real serious issue in Columbus.

When I was in college my friends and I would sometimes spend a night in Columbus (about a 90 minute drive). We'd go if there was a big football game that weekend and would just crash with friends or friends of friends. Anyway, one time the fans were just out of control. I can't count how many fights I saw. One fight me and a buddy actually pulled this guy off another guy because he had him pinned, with his knees on the guys arms and was just laying into this guy's face until he was almost unconscious. And both of these idiots were Buckeye fans!!! That same night they proceeded to burn coaches, set fires and cause mayhem. And that was after OSU had WON the football game.

The arena district is great and I love going to Nationwide. But I often tell my out of state friends to be careful when going to Columbus. It's not the safest place to be. And this is coming from a guy who grew up in Cleveland. :yowza:

The percentage of Blue Jackets fans who are classless, poor losers is probably identical to the percentage of Red Wings fans that are classless, poor losers.

Predators and Penguins aside, there are no NHL teams with fans that are inherently ****** bags.

Despite the man-crush people around here have, I'm going to have to go ahead and add Caps fans to that list. Of all the away games I've been to (Nashville, Boston, Dallas, even Colorado) I've never encountered bigger prick fans. You've got people trying to spit on you, throw beers at you, I've been in a fight outside the stadium, people in passing cars calling you a ****** even when little kids are around. That's why I will continue to say f*** the Caps and GO RANGERS.

ON THE CONTRARY...

I now live just across the border outside of Toledo. I'm a life-long Wings (and Komets) fan. I also have season tickets to Purdue football (did undergrad and doctorate there.) Twenty -five years ago, every Purdue fan knew the most malevolent, car-keying, child-shoving, foul-mouthed fans came from that place in South Bend. HOWEVER, over the last 10-15 years the concensus (and this is talking to fans at Penn State, Iowa, and all the other Big Ten schools as well) is that Ohio State fans have surpassed those from the school in South Bend with their unprecedented level of douchiness. I will give them kudos for their unbridled success, and they deserve to be proud. But a couple of years ago when we beat Ohio State AT WEST LAFAYETTE the O.S. fans were engaged in unbelievable levels of nasty smack, jumping on cars, and being scum. The main thing is it JUST ISN'T THE STUDENTS, adults were just as bad. When you lose on the road, STFU, slink back to your car and hit the road. :thumbdown:

I truly believe there is a culture of classlessness from O.S. Heck, their former President said as much!

I'm a MI transplant living in Cincinnati. One thing I have noticed since I moved here is Cbus has a real hard time admitting they are the third most relevant city/sports market in Ohio. Can't wait to get this series over so I can be done with the CBJ broadcasts. Curse you FSO!

I did thoroughly enjoy the tone in Danny Gare's voice last night when he says "Zetterberg scored".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akNb1DtqSLU...player_embedded

OK i say we send D-Mac in a wings jersey and ball cap (incognito) and but him a ticket, Have him walk over to the same spot and try the same thing and when "Shelf" tries to stop him.......Well I think you can figure it out from there......

ON THE CONTRARY...

I now live just across the border outside of Toledo. I'm a life-long Wings (and Komets) fan. I also have season tickets to Purdue football (did undergrad and doctorate there.) Twenty -five years ago, every Purdue fan knew the most malevolent, car-keying, child-shoving, foul-mouthed fans came from that place in South Bend. HOWEVER, over the last 10-15 years the concensus (and this is talking to fans at Penn State, Iowa, and all the other Big Ten schools as well) is that Ohio State fans have surpassed those from the school in South Bend with their unprecedented level of douchiness. I will give them kudos for their unbridled success, and they deserve to be proud. But a couple of years ago when we beat Ohio State AT WEST LAFAYETTE the O.S. fans were engaged in unbelievable levels of nasty smack, jumping on cars, and being scum. The main thing is it JUST ISN'T THE STUDENTS, adults were just as bad. When you lose on the road, STFU, slink back to your car and hit the road. :thumbdown:

I truly believe there is a culture of classlessness from O.S. Heck, their former President said as much!

I'm going to fully agree with this. I go to BGSU right now and there is nothing more annoying than an Ohio State fan, especially when we play them in the CCHA. But that's another matter. They'll scream things at you no matter what. I have a friend that lives in Columbus and he roots for BG. They ask him if he likes Ohio State or Michigan. He says BG. Then they found out he was born in Ann Arbor and beat him up anyway. I have a strong dislike for their fans.

So please focus on Columbus and not the entire state of Ohio, because from what I can see living here my entire 21 years the rest of the state would like Columbus to just be its own state and not be associated with the rest of us. Especially since there are so many Wings fans in Ohio and so many hockey fans in general. :)

I deviate from most Wings fans over this point. I absolutely LOVE the octopus tradition. My friends and I in college would throw stuffed octopi around the apartment after Wings goals in the playoffs. That said, I am completely against the throwing of the octopus in an opponent's arena (with the exception of EXTREME circumstances like having the Wings about to win a Cup).

Take a look from their perspective... no matter how traditional, would you like it if another team waltzed into your arena and did that? I think it's celebratory in Detroit, and disrespectful in other arenas. Some things are just best left at home, like throwing the octopus, doing the Lambeau Leap, or otherwise showing off. And let's face it... the octopus in the opponent's arena is not respectful tradition, it's trying to show up the hosts. We speak of classiness a lot on these forums and I find the octopus on the road to be very much not classy, despite it being a great DETROIT tradition that I love in the Joe.

The guy trying to throw is wrong, and the guy beating him is wrong. I'd just assume that they both go to jail.

Edited by Wombat

I deviate from most Wings fans over this point. I absolutely LOVE the octopus tradition. My friends and I in college would throw stuffed octopi around the apartment after Wings goals in the playoffs. That said, I am completely against the throwing of the octopus in an opponent's arena (with the exception of EXTREME circumstances like having the Wings about to win a Cup).

Take a look from their perspective... no matter how traditional, would you like it if another team waltzed into your arena and did that? I think it's celebratory in Detroit, and disrespectful in other arenas. Some things are just best left at home, like throwing the octopus, doing the Lambeau Leap, or otherwise showing off. And let's face it... the octopus in the opponent's arena is not respectful tradition, it's trying to show up the hosts. We speak of classiness a lot on these forums and I find the octopus on the road to be very much not classy, despite it being a great DETROIT tradition that I love in the Joe.

The guy trying to throw is wrong, and the guy beating him is wrong. I'd just assume that they both go to jail.

Unfortunately, your opinion on this is irrelevant. I'm not saying that your opinion is worthless though, you make a good point. All teams have disrespectful fans, including the wings, and those idiots would give their freedom just to get an octopus on the ice.