• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DYags

Darren Haydar

Rate this topic

Next season, could Darren Haydar be the player to step into the Wing's roster and grab peoples attention?

I pose this question because I'm damn impressed with what I've seen and read about him this year. He led the Griffins this season with 80pts, 31 goals and 49 assists. 28 more points than Abdelkader who took second. But the thing is, he's been putting up those kinds of numbers his entire AHL carreer; his worst season was 50pts in 04-05 when he missed 20 games due to injury.

Statistics aside for a moment, the guy has tremendous character and leads by example. He took a paycut to sign a one year deal with the Wings, and I remember him saying afterward that it was because he wanted an opportunity to impess Red Wings management. At 29, he's an experienced player, has great hockey sense and a nose for the net. He isn't overly skilled or speedy, but he makes up for it with his determination along the boards. Next year we're going to have a few holes to fill and I think Haydar will earn a promotion.

As many potential holes as we will have next season, I don't think there'll be enough for him. First, Ken favors promoting his own draft picks, and second, we have a lot of those.

Haydar has played at the NHL level with I believe the Thrashers so he's not exactly an unknown commodity. He's older and if he's only on a one year contract he may not be in GR next season.

Not trying to completely shoot holes in your theory, but that's the opposition I see him having to overcome. If he just knocks peoples' socks off at training camp a la Dan Cleary then maybe, but it will taking nothing short of that to make the Wings.

Next season, could Darren Haydar be the player to step into the Wing's roster and grab peoples attention?

I pose this question because I'm damn impressed with what I've seen and read about him this year. He led the Griffins this season with 80pts, 31 goals and 49 assists. 28 more points than Abdelkader who took second. But the thing is, he's been putting up those kinds of numbers his entire AHL carreer; his worst season was 50pts in 04-05 when he missed 20 games due to injury.

Statistics aside for a moment, the guy has tremendous character and leads by example. He took a paycut to sign a one year deal with the Wings, and I remember him saying afterward that it was because he wanted an opportunity to impess Red Wings management. At 29, he's an experienced player, has great hockey sense and a nose for the net. He isn't overly skilled or speedy, but he makes up for it with his determination along the boards. Next year we're going to have a few holes to fill and I think Haydar will earn a promotion.

Haydar is woefully undersized and a poor skater, but definitely has talent.

He isn't someone that's flown under any radars, however. He's a former AHL MVP- many people have taken long looks at him. I'm not too sure why he isn't in someone's system still, though. He has 8pts in 20 career NHL games (all with the Thrashers). Last season he stepped up in Atlanta after they had some injuries and put up 1 goal, 7 assists and a +4 over a 16 game span that year. That's not bad at all for a call-up. His first call-up was a 4 game stint with the Thrashers the year before that (he didn't manage to put up points that time).

Opps- I forgot to mention that he's streaky and his play away from the puck is questionable.

On the plus side he's got a ton of heart and is a great leader who steps his play up at the right times. He's got tons of positives, but the problem is he also has a decent number of negatives.

He's not a write-off, he just needs a team to hold onto him, develop him and give him a chance to make an impact. Being a journeyman doesn't help your career- it just makes your life tougher.

I suspect that there are lots of people in the NHL and AHL that would be really pleased if he could make the next step and stick with an NHL team- he's definitely someone that people would like to see succeed.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

he's also very good around the net. I've had the opportunity to watch him the last few seasons when he was playing with Chicago's AHL team and he always seemed to find a way to score a big goal when needed. I don't know though if he will fit into the Wings, but it would be cool to see him there.

Pretty much a career minor leaguer.

Yep, lots of guys just like him, amazing minor leaguer but can't make the jump.

Assuming Hossa doesn't return, Detroit could potentially have a better roster. Ericsson, Leino, Helm, Aldbekater (spelling!). Losing Hossa won't be as catastrophic as people think. Flipulla will be better, Cleary seems to be getting better, and Hudler MUST return.

The question becomes, if Hossa wins a cup this year, will he return for another for bare minimum, or will he have achieved his goal and take more money? It's a guarantee Detroit will win at least one Cup in the next 5 years, something that can't be said for any other team.

Edited by TheOwl

What's even more amazing about his season this year is all of the personal issue he's overcome. The first few months of the season, he was pretty distracted as his girlfriend underwent a boatload of surgeries for throat cancer. She's doing much better now, but I believe is still at the Mayo Clinic. He spoke both about her situation and why he signed with Detroit this year in a video clip a few months ago. He planned to play in Europe, but decided to stay closer to home because of Sara. Darren wanted to sign with Detroit because of the Wings' recent history of still seeing NHL potential in "veteran" AHL players.

I'm not sure if the link is still good, but here it is:

Video

Not only did he finish in the Top 6 scorers of the AHL this year, Darren holds the all-time AHL record for the most goals and points in the playoffs (career). Hats off to Darren, he's been a great Captain for the Griffins this year, providing leadership on and off the ice.

Unfortunately, he does have size issues. He's listed at 5'9 / 175 pounds - but that's exaggerated - he's closer to 5'6 and probably 165. Defensively, he's also a bit challenged. He finished with 80 points, but is -22 (even worse than Jakub Kindl's -14).

The ONLY way he makes the club is if A:) He comes to camp and pulls a Dan Cleary B:)If Justin Abdelkader has minor league eligibility left. C:)He has to clear waivers to be sent down, forcing Holland to keep him or lose him. And D:) The Wings re-sign Hossa, forcing Holland to cuts ties with Hudler, Sammy (possibly Kopecky(but he's cheap)) and trade Filppula. If all four of those happen, then you'll probably see him up here next year. But Helm, Leino & Abdelkader just may have something to say about that next training camp.

Yep, lots of guys just like him, amazing minor leaguer but can't make the jump.

Assuming Hossa doesn't return, Detroit could potentially have a better roster. Ericsson, Leino, Helm, Aldbekater (spelling!). Losing Hossa won't be as catastrophic as people think. Flipulla will be better, Cleary seems to be getting better, and Hudler MUST return.

The question becomes, if Hossa wins a cup this year, will he return for another for bare minimum, or will he have achieved his goal and take more money? It's a guarantee Detroit will win at least one Cup in the next 5 years, something that can't be said for any other team.

Hermmm. That's a pretty bold statement. I wouldn't guarantee something like that. I would say the Wings have a very good chance to win one cup in the next five years.

The ONLY way he makes the club is if A:) He comes to camp and pulls a Dan Cleary B:)If Justin Abdelkader has minor league eligibility left. C:)He has to clear waivers to be sent down, forcing Holland to keep him or lose him. And D:) The Wings re-sign Hossa, forcing Holland to cuts ties with Hudler, Sammy (possibly Kopecky(but he's cheap)) and trade Filppula. If all four of those happen, then you'll probably see him up here next year. But Helm, Leino & Abdelkader just may have something to say about that next training camp.

Filppula is not going anywhere regardless of what anyone says.

Filppula is not going anywhere regardless of what anyone says.

Heck yeah- he's as untouchable as Gretzky was. He's just one more of those players who can't possibly be traded under any circumstances (just like Greztky!).

I would assume there are others that would probably make the Wings roster over Haydar.

Yep. Especially considering the roles that may be open. He's not likely to jump into the top two lines, and he's not a gritty player by any means. Enforcer? Not in this lifetime. Its too bad, but there just doesn't seem to be a spot for him.