• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings1110

New arena?

Rate this topic

There's been a lot of talk for a couple years. Although it's desperately needed, funding will be a big issue preventing the erection of a new arena. Illitch has a complete steal with the Joe's contract, and it surely won't be as sweet for a subsequent arena. Taxpayers will be looked at to pick up some of the load, and with Detroit still in economic limbo, there's not going to be too many who will support that. As much as I hate to say it, I think the Joe will be around for a bit longer.

As it has been discussed on here before, it all falls to this summer. There is a deadline to renew the lease for the Joe, which would indicate no new arena for a while. The other side would be to finish the lease next year and move into a new building. Since it seems to take more than a year to build an arena, I am guessing they are going to be at the Joe for a while longer.

I went to the United Center recently. I felt like I was at the mall. No major changes need to be done at the Joe. It's like Tigers Stadium, the history is more important than flashy crap.

I went to the United Center recently. I felt like I was at the mall. No major changes need to be done at the Joe. It's like Tigers Stadium, the history is more important than flashy crap.

The Joe, in my opinion, can't be compared to Tiger Stadium. If we're talkin Olympia, then ok. It's not like the Joe has been around forever.

The Joe is an embarrassment both inside and out. Renovations won't really fix that.

This is a world class organization, quite possibly the best in all of sports, and it deserves a fitting place to play in, not a dump.

Though I know the biggest roadblock will probably come from Illitch demanding that the city or state pick up a large portion of the tab for a new arena and I can't see that happening unfortunately.

The Joe, in my opinion, can't be compared to Tiger Stadium. If we're talkin Olympia, then ok. It's not like the Joe has been around forever.

The dynasty is in the Joe. We've won cups, retired jerseys, and had many rivalries. Plus, they won the cup last year and can't even sell out most games. I don't think now is the best time for a new venue. People are dropping season tickets like crazy. My wings rep was filling me in a few weeks ago. Now is a great time to get season tickets if you don't already have them. Picks of seats all over the Joe. Anyway, just my two cents. Too many people are sold on frills and not substance. We have the greatest team in the world that was built in the Joe and you want to get rid of it that easily.

Agreed.

From my point of view United Center is just horrible.

1 - There are no hotels nearby.

2 - There are no watering holes nor restaurants nearby.

3 - There is no mass transit rail system nearby.

4 - Taxi service to and from there is awful.

5 - It's in a shady area of Chicago.

6 - Most importantly, the sightlines are horrible for hockey.

And while the Joe hasn't been around forever, it's only 30, it's one of the oldest in the League.

Agreed.

From my point of view United Center is just horrible.

1 - There are no hotels nearby.

2 - There are no watering holes nor restaurants nearby.

3 - There is no mass transit rail system nearby.

4 - Taxi service to and from there is awful.

5 - It's in a shady area of Chicago.

6 - Most importantly, the sightlines are horrible for hockey.

And while the Joe hasn't been around forever, it's only 30, it's one of the oldest in the League.

While I agree there is no CTA station right at the front door of the UC, but there is one a few blocks and another either 4-5 blocks away that service two lines. Which is a lot better then what Joe Louis Arena has which is nothing! (Not many people are willing to live in Downtown Detroit, so the people mover does not count until it branches out to neighborhoods and suburbs)

Edited by Jwo

I really hope the Wings don't end up getting a new arena, the Joe is old but I wouldn't call it a dump, it's aged with character, just like this franchise and many of the players who have played there. The nostalgia factor is awesome with all of the monuments and stuff, and many of the Wings fans, I personally have 2 great memories of the Joe; playing there, and, on March 26th, 1997 as an 8 year old second grader standing on my seat to see over all the adults to watch Darren McCarty beat the piss out of Claude Lemieux and with Roy and Vernon skating to center ice to go at it...at my second Wings game ever, what a memory!! The Red Wings are indeed a world class franchise but definitely do business differently from almost every other pro sports team, and I think it would be refreshing if the Wings didn't join the masses of pro franchises building flashy high dollar complexes that have no personality and are more famous for their archectural intricacies than then their game watching (for lack of a better word) "ability" and decided to stick with a barn full of memories and character!

The Joe is an embarrassment both inside and out. Renovations won't really fix that.

This is a world class organization, quite possibly the best in all of sports, and it deserves a fitting place to play in, not a dump.

Though I know the biggest roadblock will probably come from Illitch demanding that the city or state pick up a large portion of the tab for a new arena and I can't see that happening unfortunately.

Exactly. Timing is everything in life, and now is certainly not the time to get one's hopes up that government/taxpayer dollars will be a big part of any plans for a new arena. And you are spot-on about the Joe. I love Wings games as much as anyone, but the Joe is a relic of bad 70's design. Worst of all are the cramped seats - and I'm not fat.

Illitch loves the Wings, he does want a new building to put his crown in, seeing what he has done for this team and for the Tigers I would think everyone would trust he is smart enough and has enough passion about the organization to do it at the "RIGHT" time. It's not really a question of "WILL" it happen it's a question of "WHEN". He's not stupid, I'm sure he is working on something and the timing will be "right" for the situation. I'm also certain we will all be around to see it. What a day that will be because I'm sure it will be first class.

Edited by CUJO#31

Illitch loves the Wings, he does want a new building to put his crown in, seeing what he has done for this team and for the Tigers I would think everyone would trust he is smart enough and has enough passion about the organization to do it at the "RIGHT" time. It's not really a question of "WILL" it happen it's a question of "WHEN". He's not stupid, I'm sure he is working on something and the timing will be "right" for the situation. I'm also certain we will all be around to see it. What a day that will be because I'm sure it will be first class.

Yea if only Illitch owned the lions......

I think they should just not bother with the renovations and renew the lease for only 5 years while everything with the new rink gets finalized. I just hope they dont tear it down it would be a shame.

You know, I've never understood why people wish they wouldn't tear down old stadiums... You heard it a lot last year with Tiger Stadium and now you hear about the Joe.... There's no point in leaving old stadiums standing since it just adds another abandoned building in the city, which isn't what Detroit needs... I know there's a ton of history at the Joe and Tiger Stadium but if people don't want to see them torn down then Comerica shouldn't have been built and the Joe should get renovated....

For the good of the City of Detroit the Wings should get a new arena since it would benefit both parties... The Red Wings would have a new modern facility to play in and the city would be able to do something with the valuable riverfront property the Joe currently occupies... Now I love the atmosphere of the Joe since it really fits the gritty feel of the city and when you go there you're there to watch hockey and that's it, but the Wings could use a new arena.... If it's built to look like an old school arena from the outside and is brought out behind the Fox that whole area would be a great place to watch a game and spend a night in Detroit.... And with the Joe gone the city could expand Cobo into that area if they wanted too and do something more with the riverfront in that area....

See, this is why I like the Joe. No matter what your opinion of the actual arena is, you know that it's all about the product on the ice, not necessarily about the comfort factor of watching. The arena has great sightlines and can get loud (when people actually cheer). As long as the Wings play in the Joe, I know that hockey comes first and comfort is secondary.

You know, I've never understood why people wish they wouldn't tear down old stadiums... You heard it a lot last year with Tiger Stadium and now you hear about the Joe.... There's no point in leaving old stadiums standing since it just adds another abandoned building in the city, which isn't what Detroit needs... I know there's a ton of history at the Joe and Tiger Stadium but if people don't want to see them torn down then Comerica shouldn't have been built and the Joe should get renovated....

For the good of the City of Detroit the Wings should get a new arena since it would benefit both parties... The Red Wings would have a new modern facility to play in and the city would be able to do something with the valuable riverfront property the Joe currently occupies... Now I love the atmosphere of the Joe since it really fits the gritty feel of the city and when you go there you're there to watch hockey and that's it, but the Wings could use a new arena.... If it's built to look like an old school arena from the outside and is brought out behind the Fox that whole area would be a great place to watch a game and spend a night in Detroit.... And with the Joe gone the city could expand Cobo into that area if they wanted too and do something more with the riverfront in that area....

http://stadiumdrawings.blogspot.com/2006/0...-red-wings.html

this guy made a prototype but i think it should be bigger