• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

teckaholic

Coming to the Joe as a opposition fan

Rate this topic

I just want to take my wife to a great game of hockey.

No.

If the Wings pull the Ducks, I'm seriously considering a flight down to Anaheim. What can I expect? Any taboos there?

Um retards?

i like it when an opposing team fan is at the joe and even better sitting by me.its good for some fun and innocent trash talking,thats is far as i would go

just dont go and try to throw a duck or the disney logo on the ice or someone might want revenge for that little fiasco in colombus.lol

Edited by maltbymaniac

I get ragged on for being a on the wings bandwagon even though i've been a wings fan since i started watching hockey alot in 94 when I was 8 years old. Stuck true ever since.

Kinda one of the reasons why I hate so many Pens fans. Ask them who Jagr or Mario are and they can't tell you all they know is Crosby. Rather annoying if you ask me.

you hit the nail on the head they have no idea about hockey they just know who "the face of the league" supposedly is. and just to add another thing crosby and malkin get way to much respect, yes their good players, but pavs and hank kicked their ass up and down last year in the stanley cup final. Just cuz crosby is in commercials.

I'm a Detroit expat in SF these days. If the Wings pull the Ducks, I'm seriously considering a flight down to Anaheim. What can I expect? Any taboos there?

You can expect to get tickets fairly easily...they didn't sell out game 4. It's just like anywhere else. Mostly sensible people, a few drunk a-holes. Nice weather.

I have a question for you guys...I am a huge Ducks fan that will be attending The Joe if the Ducks make it to the 2nd round. I am not one of those fans who taunt other fans. Am I going to be violently attack? Sounds stupid but I got attacked because I had a Chargers jersey at a Steelers game. Walking up the stairs and pow. Got in a fight w/ the guy and he got arrested. I just want to take my wife to a great game of hockey.

Thanks ahead of time!

You seem like a decent hockey guy...some suggestions:

1) There are certain parts of Detroit you definitely want to avoid. If you want to enjoy, however, you might want to park in Highland Park and take the bus/cab/or walk to the game. Highland Park is, naturally, a park and will show the best side of Detroit...if you're coming all this way you might as well have a good time.

2)Wings fans are EXTREMELY tolerant of stuff ending up on the ice...observe the octopus! If you feel the Duks get a bad call, give up a goal, score a goal, get in a fight, etc., CHUCK SOMETHING ON THE ICE!!!! Cups of beer are best!

3)There are several statues around the arena of hockey fossils, such as Gordie Howe. Tradition states that opposing fans get a picture of themselves in front of these statues screaming "These old bastards don't know s*** about hockey compared to (fill in the blank with your team.)

4)Wings fans wear jerseys, LOTS of jerseys of current and former players. We do it because we kind of like to reminisce about the good old days before the Wings became too old/slow/lazy/European/goalie-lacking/defense-lacking/young/weak/not-hungry-enough/lacking grit/etc. Since it's kind of a joke to us, play along as do fans of all other visiting teams. If you see a fan wearing an Yzerman jersey, for example, it's kind of tradition to go up to that fan and yell (since you're a Duks fan) "Pronger/ Niedermayer (sporting your respective jersey) owned that ***** Yzerman his whole career. You suck!" Usually everybody has a good laugh and somebody ends up buying a beer.

5)Obviously, Detroit and the state of Michigan are in a depression (recession passed a LONG time ago.) Since we all are past being bothered by more bad news, it's kind of tradition for other fans to make fun of Detroit as you're standing in line to get in, waiting in line for the bathroom, for beer, or just during breaks in play. We envy California's warm weather and higher standard of living, so a mantra of stuff like, "Hey, you people live in a s***ty city! Your city sucks as much as your team does! Bet you wish you lived in Anaheim! Ha Ha, you SUCK!" Wings fans are used to this and kind of just go along for the ride...they'll probably buy you a beer!

6)Don't worry about tickets...they'll be there. However, since the economy is so bad you will probably want to negotiate price. In order to do this, you should have small bills available. Obviously, you're not coming from California with less than $100 bills, so just stop kids in the neighborhoods and say "Hey...Boy...you got change for these hundreds?" This is the best approach to getting cheap tickets!

Hope these suggestions work for you. Looking forward to seeing you at the game!

Edited by donfishmaster

1) There are certain parts of Detroit you definitely want to avoid. If you want to enjoy, however, you might want to park in Highland Park and take the bus/cab/or walk to the game. Highland Park is, naturally, a park and will show the best side of Detroit...if you're coming all this way you might as well have a good time.

2)Wings fans are EXTREMELY tolerant of stuff ending up on the ice...observe the octopus! If you feel the Duks get a bad call, give up a goal, score a goal, get in a fight, etc., CHUCK SOMETHING ON THE ICE!!!! Cups of beer are best!

3)There are several statues around the arena of hockey fossils, such as Gordie Howe. Tradition states that opposing fans get a picture of themselves in front of these statues screaming "These old bastards don't know s*** about hockey compared to (fill in the blank with your team.)

4)Wings fans wear jerseys, LOTS of jerseys of current and former players. We do it because we kind of like to reminisce about the good old days before the Wings became too old/slow/lazy/European/goalie-lacking/defense-lacking/young/weak/not-hungry-enough/lacking grit/etc. Since it's kind of a joke to us, play along as do fans of all other visiting teams. If you see a fan wearing an Yzerman jersey, for example, it's kind of tradition to go up to that fan and yell (since you're a Duks fan) "Pronger/ Niedermayer (sporting your respective jersey) owned that ***** Yzerman his whole career. You suck!" Usually everybody has a good laugh and somebody ends up buying a beer.

5)Obviously, Detroit and the state of Michigan are in a depression (recession passed a LONG time ago.) Since we all are past being bothered by more bad news, it's kind of tradition for other fans to make fun of Detroit as you're standing in line to get in, waiting in line for the bathroom, for beer, or just during breaks in play. We envy California's warm weather and higher standard of living, so a mantra of stuff like, "Hey, you people live in a s***ty city! Your city sucks as much as your team does! Bet you wish you lived in Anaheim! Ha Ha, you SUCK!" Wings fans are used to this and kind of just go along for the ride...they'll probably buy you a beer!

6)Don't worry about tickets...they'll be there. However, since the economy is so bad you will probably want to negotiate price. In order to do this, you should have small bills available. Obviously, you're not coming from California with less than $100 bills, so just stop kids in the neighborhoods and say "Hey...Boy...you got change for these hundreds?" This is the best approach to getting cheap tickets!

lol you're cruel. OP.....this is more a list of things you DEF don't do at a wings game lol

EHHH, you might not want to come here for a game, it gets pretty intense. Instead sell tickets to me for real cheap and I will go in your place and wear a "duck hunt" (nintendo video game) shirt underneath my Red Wings Jersey...

For real you will be fine... unless you try to throw a dead duck on the ice that might be a little weird, get your own traditions!

You're going to find there are A-Holes everywhere, it happens a lot when you mix alcoholic beverages and sports. You're going to get some boos, some people are going to scream, but that's going to happen everywhere when you are cheering for the opposing team. You'll be fine.

You'll get worse in Pittsburgh from Steeler fans, you'll get in worse in Chicago from Bears, Cubs, Sox, Bears, Bulls, and especially Hawks fans, Philly will try to pick a fight with everybody. Here's some linkage to read about what Flyers fans have been doing to Pittsburgh fans recently

http://mondesishouse.blogspot.com/2009/04/...-on-morons.html

Reminds me of a time as Broncos' fans we went to a Bronco's/Raiders game at LA Stadium. (Feel free to pass on this if I've already put it on here.)

We didn't blatantly wave or holler about anything. However the kid about 3 seats down from us was trying to open a beer can with a knife. And the can was upside down. Well duh, he cut his hand badly and was bleeding all over the place. Juuuust a little stoned/drunk? His "friends" did nothing to change that. The LA police came down to help him and a bunch of fans from all over that area threw ice at them. But the couple sitting next to us were cool and we just chatted.

JLA can never, ever be that bad. Just don't taunt or flaunt in enemy territory. That's when you ask for it.

:rotflmao: This probably oughta be framed. Beeeeeutiful!!!!!

Pretty much at any game you'll get a few stupid people at the game regardless of the team/city/event, but I went to a Wings-Avs playoff game last year and game 2 of Wings-Columbus playoffs this year. Expect to be razzed and ridiculued to a certain degree if you wear your visiting team's apparel in the home barn, but both playoff games I went to nothing bad or heated happened. Just take the ribbing in fun or ignore it completely and you'll be fine.