• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

hockeysattva

Would you want Crosby on the Wings?

Rate this topic

Guest GordieSid&Ted

This is one of the most disturbing threads I have ever seen here.

"he's immature" well duh? He's barely old enough to buy beer you fraggin genuises

"he's bettman's lap dog" this one is especially comical considering the incessant whining around here about how the Wings are just disrespected by everyone in the hockey universe. Yes, it's true. The amount of whining that goes on around here about how we get no league-wide love and everyone hates us makes any whining Crosby does look insignificant by comparison. One would think that since we have so many whiny *****-ass Wings fans crying about our lack of love...that bringing in the Golden Child would be a good thing. DUH!

anybody want to ***** about his production? Good luck winning that argument.

so what other gripes do we have? Oh, he's not a Selke finalist. Well neither are about 500 other forwards in the league. Oh, but how many of them rack up 100 point seasons?

I'm not going to get into talk of which wingers he would mesh with or salary caps or whatever. The point is that IF Crosby could be a Wing. It would be ludicrous to not take him. What is the guy, freaking Sean Avery or something? The way he is treated like a pariah around here by some of our knuckle-dragging friends is baffling.

Does anyone realize that Crosby finished this year just 3 points shy of 400 for his career? 400 FREAKING POINTS! He's 21!!!!!!

Toss in 42 points in 32 career playoff games and other than getting shut down by the best team in hockey last year (that would be our beloved Wings) he's proven right off the bat he is a playoff producer. Fedorov...even Datsyuk had "no show" labels stamped on them at early points in their careers. Not Sid. He just keeps getting it done offensively.

I have no issue with anybody who just flat out dislikes Crosby for whatever reason. But as far as his ability to play and excel at a level only 2 or 3 guys in the league can maintain or reach....well, if you think they're growing 100 point scorers on trees. I'd like to see the trees.

To answer the OP's question. Would I take him over Hossa? No. Assuming money were not an issue, why would we add another centerman? He's a #1 center and we already have 2 of those in Dats and Z. Hossa is a far better fit and I personally like him better because he's more polished defensively and is an absolute beast on the puck. Sid has great lower body strength but I don't care how much you practice or workout, you can't teach somebody to be 6 foot 2 and 225 pounds. Hossa is a beast of a man.

The Crosby bashing around here....hell....I don't even know what to say about it anymore.

What I can say is that all the talk of the deteriorating standards of our school systems is blatantly and sadly evident in this thread.

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

People are saying no?

Are you crazy? Of course I would want Crosby on the Red Wings. I can't think of any reason not to have one of the 5 best players in the game, even if he has an 8.7 million dollar salary cap. He is younger, and better then Hossa - how could you not want him on the team? Think of how he would mature with players like Dats, Zetter, and Lids.

It would be sick.

People are saying no?

Are you crazy? Of course I would want Crosby on the Red Wings. I can't think of any reason not to have one of the 5 best players in the game, even if he has an 8.7 million dollar salary cap. He is younger, and better then Hossa - how could you not want him on the team? Think of how he would mature with players like Dats, Zetter, and Lids.

It would be sick.

Agreed... Imagine Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Crosby as your top 3 centers. Good game till they retire.

Yeah, I guess it was a pretty silly question, but we have time before the next round, and it even got a lurker to join!

On a small tangent, since logic has been brought up, all the best players do not the best team make.

The thing about it, is that whether or not the Wings would want him is moot. The Pens aren't likely to get rid of him -- EVER. Why would they?

Asking how Sid would fit into this team is little different than asking if Gordie would, since neither are going to happen.

I found the opinions expressed to be interesting for the most part. thanks.

He's the kind of guy who seems like he'll go for the paycheck rather than the cap space to make the team around him better, so that right off the bat dosen't lend me to believe he'd work in Detroit's system. Besides, our offense is stacked to high heaven as it is and he dosen't play two-way hockey. It's a moot point.

Edited by Cern

All this Crosby bashing is getting old...Was it that long ago (some here must have short memories) he took his visor off, & invited the smart-mouthed Boston Bruin Marc Savard to "dance"?...Would a little cry baby do this?...Didn't think so.

He punched a guy in the ass while he was being pinned down by a teammate. Even Avery hasn't pulled that one to my recollection.

so what other gripes do we have? Oh, he's not a Selke finalist. Well neither are about 500 other forwards in the league.

So then why pick Crosby in the first place? If we're simply dividing defensive responsibility into 'Selke finalists' and 'not Selke finalists' give me Malkin or Ovechkin. Both of them have MORE points per season than Crosby and don't offer a heck of a lot on the back end, so if we're in some no-holds-barred fantasy scenario where we're picking one-way forwards isn't it only logical to pick the players with more offensive output? The argument is already being made that it's illogical to not want even more offensive potential, so why should it be logical to argue in favour of taking on the #3 guy when you should be going for #1?

Edited by Cern

In all fairness, Zetterberg was already a great defensive player before he came over here. As a centerman growing up in Sweden, that's something that you learn very early. Also, I think Z had a great influence on the growth of Pav's defensive game.

So, no, Yzerman didn't exactly pass it on to them, but it was his commitment to defense that inspired Kenny and Co to look for players like Zetterberg.

You're absolutely right about Z.

I had just been reading something about Stevie (what it was or where it was, I don't know- I'm middle aged and have CRS) and how he had influenced younger players after Bowman had turned him into a 2-way player. I put that in with what I was typing and it came out Z.

Now I wish I could remember who they were talking about specifically.

At any rate, it's becoming something that is expected in Detroit, and Hank and Pavel do it as well as anyone else in the league.

Your point about Swedes is well-taken. Perhaps that's why we go for so many of them- they're well-rounded players.

This is one of the most disturbing threads I have ever seen here.

"he's immature" well duh? He's barely old enough to buy beer you fraggin genuises

"he's bettman's lap dog" this one is especially comical considering the incessant whining around here about how the Wings are just disrespected by everyone in the hockey universe. Yes, it's true. The amount of whining that goes on around here about how we get no league-wide love and everyone hates us makes any whining Crosby does look insignificant by comparison. One would think that since we have so many whiny *****-ass Wings fans crying about our lack of love...that bringing in the Golden Child would be a good thing. DUH!

anybody want to ***** about his production? Good luck winning that argument.

so what other gripes do we have? Oh, he's not a Selke finalist. Well neither are about 500 other forwards in the league. Oh, but how many of them rack up 100 point seasons?

I'm not going to get into talk of which wingers he would mesh with or salary caps or whatever. The point is that IF Crosby could be a Wing. It would be ludicrous to not take him. What is the guy, freaking Sean Avery or something? The way he is treated like a pariah around here by some of our knuckle-dragging friends is baffling.

Does anyone realize that Crosby finished this year just 3 points shy of 400 for his career? 400 FREAKING POINTS! He's 21!!!!!!

Toss in 42 points in 32 career playoff games and other than getting shut down by the best team in hockey last year (that would be our beloved Wings) he's proven right off the bat he is a playoff producer. Fedorov...even Datsyuk had "no show" labels stamped on them at early points in their careers. Not Sid. He just keeps getting it done offensively.

I have no issue with anybody who just flat out dislikes Crosby for whatever reason. But as far as his ability to play and excel at a level only 2 or 3 guys in the league can maintain or reach....well, if you think they're growing 100 point scorers on trees. I'd like to see the trees.

To answer the OP's question. Would I take him over Hossa? No. Assuming money were not an issue, why would we add another centerman? He's a #1 center and we already have 2 of those in Dats and Z. Hossa is a far better fit and I personally like him better because he's more polished defensively and is an absolute beast on the puck. Sid has great lower body strength but I don't care how much you practice or workout, you can't teach somebody to be 6 foot 2 and 225 pounds. Hossa is a beast of a man.

The Crosby bashing around here....hell....I don't even know what to say about it anymore.

What I can say is that all the talk of the deteriorating standards of our school systems is blatantly and sadly evident in this thread.

Speaking of school systems... anyone who tagged Fedorov as a playoff no show at any point during his Red Wing tenure, early or otherwise, is a hell of a lot less S-M-R-T smart than you're making out the guys who'd pass on Crosby. That sentence alone is just mind-boggling as if Datsyuk is an afterthought in regards to playoff no-shows early in careers whereas Fedorov stands out as a shining example of checking out come April. Just doesn't make any sense. I doubt you could have come up with a worse name to stick in there.

The point is if you've ever seen Miracle, it's not about picking the best players, but about picking the right ones. Some of us happen to think that while Crosby is one of the best players, he is not right for us. Does that mean we are idiots/products of the failing school system? No, especially since most of us don't live in Detroit and therefore never attended Detroit Public Schools. All the OP wanted was an opinion, which means there can be more than one answer.

And what's really ironic is that half the people here also keep bitching that we need more enforcers, more grit, less skill. Would Crosby solve that? None of us are GMs anyway and we will never have Crosby, so it really doesn't matter anyway.

Absolutely. In a perfect world, we would acquire him on an off day, then trade him for Ovi later that evening so that he would never play a single game in a Red Wings sweater. And then Angelina Jolie would come over and clean my room

You'd have to give up more than just sid for ovie, sid and like 3- 1st rounders

If the cap and everything somehow magically aligned in a way where Detroit could get Crosby I would love it. I'm not a fan of Crosby but I would quickly become one if he was in the winged wheel.

I would also love to see how he would change as a player with veteran leadership around him. I think he would be a lot more likable if he wasn't constantly trying to figure out how to lead his team. I think he could hit a new level if the weight of leadership was taken off his shoulders for a few years.

That being said if the team was to magically get a top tear North American player I would prefer a Nash / Iginla type player to Crosby.

When it comes to playoffs, this is a no brainer:

Through Crosby's first 31 career playoff games he has 40 points

Through Z's first 40 career playoff games he had 33 points

Through Pav's first 37 playoff games he had 12 points

Through Hossa's first 44 playoff games he had 30 points.

At 21, Z was still playing in Sweden, a year from playing his first NHL game

At 21, Pav was playing in Russia 2 years from playing a game in the NHL

at 21, Hossa had played 145 NHL games and had 44 goals and 42 assists for 86 points.

at 21, Crosby has played 290 NHL games has had 132 goals, 265 assists for 397 points, has captained a team to a Stanley Cup Finals appearance, has been a 4 time all-star and has won an Art Ross Trophy, a Hart Trophy and a the Lester B. Pearson Award.

If you are talking cap space, and trading for him today , etc. then i understand you not wanting Crosby for those reasons; but for those of you who are saying no even if the cap considerations and such were thrown out the window then you are idiots, thats all there is to say. No matter how much you all hate to admit it, the fact is that at the end of his career, Crosby will have morphed into a far better player than Z, Pav, Hossa ,etc. ever will. He will win a Cup(s) and will be considered one of the top 10 players to have ever played the game. I'm done with this thread, the biased ignorance among some of you is alarming

When it comes to playoffs, this is a no brainer:

Through Crosby's first 31 career playoff games he has 40 points

Through Z's first 40 career playoff games he had 33 points

Through Pav's first 37 playoff games he had 12 points

Through Hossa's first 44 playoff games he had 30 points.

At 21, Z was still playing in Sweden, a year from playing his first NHL game

At 21, Pav was playing in Russia 2 years from playing a game in the NHL

at 21, Hossa had played 145 NHL games and had 44 goals and 42 assists for 86 points.

at 21, Crosby has played 290 NHL games has had 132 goals, 265 assists for 397 points, has captained a team to a Stanley Cup Finals appearance, has been a 4 time all-star and has won an Art Ross Trophy, a Hart Trophy and a the Lester B. Pearson Award.

If you are talking cap space, and trading for him today , etc. then i understand you not wanting Crosby for those reasons; but for those of you who are saying no even if the cap considerations and such were thrown out the window then you are idiots, thats all there is to say. No matter how much you all hate to admit it, the fact is that at the end of his career, Crosby will have morphed into a far better player than Z, Pav, Hossa ,etc. ever will. He will win a Cup(s) and will be considered one of the top 10 players to have ever played the game. I'm done with this thread, the biased ignorance among some of you is alarming

A players worth is measured by far more than just points tallied at the end of your career. He may win cups, but it is not purely reflective on the INDIVIDUAL'S greatness when that happens - it is a team effort. I would take Zetterberg, Datsyuk, or Hossa over Crosby any day of the week, because when all is said and done, they are OVERALL better hockey players. From the start of their careers they were taught and excelled in defense first and the responsibility of being able to play in all situations. This is something Crosby has lacked as evidenced in last years playoffs (defense). 1 on 1, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Hossa would all burn Crosby.

Now, I strongly dislike Crosby because of crybaby demeanor and the fact that the league decides to market just 1 players instead of doing it the right way (see NBA). Having said all that, my opinion is not based on my dislike for Crosby one bit, I'm not a fool, I just know that there is more to the sport of hockey than scoring as many points as possible. Being one dimensional is not appealing to me.

P.S. - Crosby is not the best offensive player on that team. Malkin is. Malkin has continued to inflate Crosby's numbers.

Edited by SwedeLundin77

A players worth is measured by far more than just points tallied at the end of your career. He may win cups, but it is not purely reflective on the INDIVIDUAL'S greatness when that happens - it is a team effort. I would take Zetterberg, Datsyuk, or Hossa over Crosby any day of the week, because when all is said and done, they are OVERALL better hockey players. From the start of their careers they were taught and excelled in defense first and the responsibility of being able to play in all situations. This is something Crosby has lacked as evidenced in last years playoffs (defense). 1 on 1, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Hossa would all burn Crosby.

Now, I strongly dislike Crosby because of crybaby demeanor and the fact that the league decides to market just 1 players instead of doing it the right way (see NBA). Having said all that, my opinion is not based on my dislike for Crosby one bit, I'm not a fool, I just know that there is more to the sport of hockey than scoring as many points as possible. Being one dimensional is not appealing to me.

P.S. - Crosby is not the best offensive player on that team. Malkin is. Malkin has continued to inflate Crosby's numbers.

you my friend are crazy, first of all, Malkin and Crosby hardly play on the same line. Second of all, If you would take Zetterberg Hossa or Datsyuk over Crosby because of all around game, I dont think you realize that Crosby is only 21 years old. Yzerman was not a great all around player at this age either. He has plenty of time to develop even more and has already accomplished more than any of those players. You dont think if Crosby had the likes of Lidstrom on his defense he wouldnt be winning cups? I love all of our players but I am sorry, Crosby >>>>>> Dats, Z, Hossa

This thread makes me VERY sad panda.

It's enough to admit that Crosby has considerable talent. I'm no idiot. I know that the guy is going to be a monster on the ice. I just plain old do not like him. I think there's a certain caliber of person it takes to wear the winged wheel - and I don't think that Crosby is that type of person. I don't think it's just immaturity. For those of you excusing his actions by saying he's only 21, stop. I'm 20 years old and there's nothing more irritating than somebody excusing my ignorance or immaturity because I'm young. That's absolutely no reason to give someone a pass. At 21, he should know better. Hell, at 20, I should know better. Maybe in a few years, he'll change and I'd be comfortable enough to say sure - join our crew. But right now? No. I don't think he's the caliber of person I'd want in a Red Wings sweater.

Edited by Ms_Hockey

Taking real-world rules into consideration (and the fact that Crosby behaves like a spoiled 12-year old)? No, I wouldn't want him on the Wings.

In the fantasy-land where the Wings could just pick him up for free and stick him on the 3rd line? Yeah, I'd take him. In this scenario, I'd take Ovechkin and Malkin as well, those 3 would make a decent 3rd line.