• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Icesurfer

Anaheim Preview

Rate this topic

Most of the comments about how this series will be different than the one in 2007 are spot on. One I haven't seen mentioned yet: The Wings have taken a much easier road to this series than the Ducks have. In 2007, the Wings had played two grueling playoff rounds against tough Calgary and San Jose teams, with lots of travel, while the Ducks had a pretty cake ride to the WCF. This year, the Wings had a relatively easy round one with very little travel, while the Ducks just finished a battle with the top seeded Sharks.

I'm Dabura and I approve this message.

In fact, I'm calling a sweep.

I have been thinking the same thing. Sweep or we win in 5. Our offense is better then 2 years ago, our defense is better (no one is hurt, that cannot be replaced) and our goalie is ready to add to his playoff numbers.

Retribution '09: Pronger can finally pick on someone his own size. I can wait to see that no-gloves droppin', cheap shot slammin' punk finally get his comeuppance! Who feels me on this?

You know, you're right. In 2007 we didn't have anyone that hit. Kronwall had not yet found his wild side, and his magical pairing with Stuart had not happened yet. I can't wait to see one of thsoe guys hit Pronger and send his helmet flying.

Guest micah
Retribution '09: Pronger can finally pick on someone his own size. I can wait to see that no-gloves droppin', cheap shot slammin' punk finally get his comeuppance! Who feels me on this?

I feel ya! now the Ducks' no-glove-dropper can meet all of the Wings' no-glove-droppers. Intense! I am anticipating some major facewashes out of this one! I think I'll record the series and make a badass facewash/glovepunch comp video for youtube;)

Seriously, I hope someone has the sack to force Pronger to fight if he gets cheap with us. Even if the Wing took and Instigator penalty, our being a man down for 2 minutes mifght be offset by the Ducks being without their best DMan for % minutes, and (if all goes well) him having to mouth-breath for the rest of the game because he has tampons stuffed in the nostrils of his broken nose. Go get him, Maltby! Wait, no, bad idea. Ericsson!

didnt yzerman take pronger out in the playoffs a while ago. haha maybe its lidstrom this time that takes him out

Hiler was helped by SJ's terrible play, for the majority of the series SJ played a perimeter game with the basic strategy of throwing everything on net. Ana knew this and did an excellent job of clearing rebounds, Hiler while excellent did give up a lot of rebounds. Detroit plays a similar style, I'm no coach (thank god) but I don't know how well this will work against the Ducks.

Homer is one of the best guys in the league at playing in front of the net he needs to get traffic and get some of those rebounds. Detroit is probably the best team in the league at supporting the player with the puck and getting to loose pucks, if they can hold in the zone and get the Ducks running you can force them to roll 4 lines. They can't hold a candle to our depth, we have to exploit this by really dictating the tempo. Make the game a drag race, really push the tempo and kill them on the transition. The transition game is what Detroit does so well, if you want to disrupt the Ducks cycle play make Niedemeyer hang up high or at least be more pensive by killing them in the transition. He was key in keeping plays alive in the offensive zone.

The powerplay is going to be a huge part of this series, if we can make them change the way they play because they are worried about getting sent to the box this series will be a hell of lot easier.

I think this is going to be a great series, both teams know what it takes and have supreme levels of talent. This is probably the most difficult matchup for the Wings and I think for Detroit they need to see this as the ultimate test of what they are as a team and really get after them. Make them play our game not the other way around.

I say Wings win in 6. The Ducks will give it to the Wings hard. But thats okay. As long as Detroit doesn't try to go toe to toe with these guys in fisticuffs we will be okay. If guys like Ericsson start to let these guys get under their skin and we fight as often as San Jose did, we throw away our edge. The Wings win by matching the gritty play and drawing the line, the other team then crosses that line, takes the penalty and the talented Wings PP takes over. That is how this has to play out.

On top of that.

35+44+35+31+48+38=231 Shots against on Hiller in the first round

Plus the Ducks are out shot every game of the playoffs so far I believe.

If Hiller can face another 231 shots (Wings shoot just as much as San Jose did) and win another series, I will gladly bow down and call him master.

I say Wings win in 6. The Ducks will give it to the Wings hard. But thats okay. As long as Detroit doesn't try to go toe to toe with these guys in fisticuffs we will be okay. If guys like Ericsson start to let these guys get under their skin and we fight as often as San Jose did, we throw away our edge. The Wings win by matching the gritty play and drawing the line, the other team then crosses that line, takes the penalty and the talented Wings PP takes over. That is how this has to play out.

On top of that.

35+44+35+31+48+38=231 Shots against on Hiller in the first round

Plus the Ducks are out shot every game of the playoffs so far I believe.

If Hiller can face another 231 shots (Wings shoot just as much as San Jose did) and win another series, I will gladly bow down and call him master.

Hiller, unlike Giguere, gives up some nice, big, fat, juicy rebounds as well. The Sharks were rarely able to capitalize, but the Wings should be up in their grill a lot more than the Sharks were.

I won't clutter the thread by quoting your post, but thanks so much ARice, that was very helpful. I forget just how banged-up the Wings were in that series. Everyone remembers Schneider and Kronners being out, but Homer was basically ineffective after getting his head rammed into the glass by Chrissy early in the series and others were banged up. Poor Cleary stuck with Bert and Bobby Lang, and Flip and Mule weren't the players they are now. Like you say, the Wings were really close (and were probably only a couple of bad breaks at the end of game 5 away from winning), but the '09 team is night and day compared with the '07 team.

The Ducks are revamped, so they're a bit of an unknown compared to the team the Wings faced in the regular season, but they've still got a great defence, the hottest top line in hockey, and a goalie playing very well. What I see as the keys to the series:

1.) Can the Wings contain the Getzlaf line?

2.) Can the Wings (especially Homer, Mule, and Cleary) disrupt Hiller?

3.) Can Ozzie continue his strong play and at least match Hiller?

4.) Can the Wings make their superior depth up front pay off over 7 games?

5.) Do the Ducks continue the parade to the penalty box, and do the Wings make them pay for it?

Edit: counting. As in I can't do it, apparently. :lol:

Edited by Third Man In

I know Ducks fans are all riled up with the Sharks series... but did they even notice that the biggest factor wasn't Hiller's performance, but Nabokov's no-show?

Game 1 - Ducks 17 shots, 2 goals

Game 2 - Ducks 26 shots, 3 goals

Game 3 - Ducks 30 shots, 3 goals

Game 4 - Ducks 26 shots, 4 goals

Game 5 - Ducks 25 shots, 2 goals

Game 6 - Ducks 33 shots, 4 goals

.890 pct

If Osgood shows up at all in this series, and if they shut down just Getzlaf alone...I don't know that the Wings have anything to worry about. You know the Ducks are going to have fewer chances in this series...

Wings in 5

Scoring depth is ridculously one-sided here.

6 Franzen (2nd line)

5 Cleary (2nd line)

4 Hossa (1st line)

4 Hudler (3rd line)

4 Holmstrom (1st line)

4 Zetterberg (2nd line)

3 Filppula (3rd line)

VS.

8 Getzlaf (1st line)

4 Ryan (1st line)

4 Perry (1st line)

3 Miller (2nd line)

In the series against Anaheim two years ago, we had neither our number 2 or 3 defensemen in injuries to Schneider and Kronwall. The cheap shotting, especially by Pronger went largely unpunished by the league that is now buckling down huge on shots to the head ala Pronger+Neidermeyer on Holmstrom that year. Pronger is less untouchable being as he is no longer a Norris contender and his rap sheet has gotten longer. A team that was largely unphysical in the Wings of '07, now has bigger bodies, and seasoned guys like Datsyuk who will meet incoming hits with some of his own. Helm's speed and physical play is going to be pretty big and the ability of the Wings to stay calm as the other team takes stupid hissy-fit penalties after the whistles (unless you count Samuelsson, who loves to put on the angry face and slap people but never fight, almost like he would rather play 4 on 4 than take the PP).

The top line on the Ducks is big and dangerous offensively, but I'll take either of our top two lines against them in a stalemate anyday. The Wings depth and poise is going to have to shine through and we are going to need Game 1-3 Ozzy to show up for the rest of the run.

Should be a good one! GO WINGS!

didnt yzerman take pronger out in the playoffs a while ago. haha maybe its lidstrom this time that takes him out

Oh man, I almost forgot about that. Was such a classic moment. Common Nick follow up and make it a Redwing captain tradition!

as much as i have a man crush on jonny eric, i dont think hes dishing any whoppings to pronger :rolleyes: wishful thinking, and i hope he proves me wrong, but i dont see it happening. id love to see downey come up for this round though... we all know the ducks are going to be out for intent to injure key people. thats the only way they can win. :rolleyes: im not really too excited about this round.

I'd like to see Ericsson knock the *** pronger out. Jonny is a fiesty one, you don't want to make him mad.

Really, ***? Come on, how old are we?

And for anyone that thinks Big Rig is going to fight Pronger, sorry to say, but it won't happen. Only reason Big Rig fought last time was because he already had punches thrown at him. Big Rig will delivery some nasty crease clearing checks after the whistle, but he won't be fighting anyone unless they are the aggressor.

PS. Please don't bring up any fights that happened in the AHL, the NHL is a much different beast.

i don't know if i completely buy the whole "hot goalie" excuse for playoff disappointments. the Red Wings have made stars out of goalies by throwing 40 shots on net all from the perimeter. considering the way the Wings took it to the BJs Im not as concerned as in years past about their ability to get down low, get rebounds and create distraction. there will definitely be a price to pay, but the last thing the Ducks will want to do is take 8 penalties a game. I have more concerns in the Wings end of the ice and handling their big bodies in front of the net.

I am with you totally that I am not overly concerned about the "hot goalie" thing. I think if the Wings are able to throw a lot of shots at Hiller and get a couple through early it will undermine his confidence and be advantage Wings.