• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Four

Showing Big Rig Some Love

Rate this topic

Guest Four

Sorry if this was posted already!

Chalk up another successful draft-day heist for the tireless and always industrious scouting department of the Detroit Red Wings.

Why? Because towering defenseman Jonathan Ericsson, the final pick (No. 291) of the 2002 Entry Draft, is here to stay. And to think, the experts label the last selection in the draft, "Mr. Irrelevant."

Not only has Ericsson earned the praises of his coaching staff and teammates, but Columbus Blue Jackets coach Ken Hitchcock.

"He's huge and he reminds me of Vladimir Malakhov in the way he skates and plays," Hitchcock said. "He has the body language that Vladdie had with his mobility and ability to be calm with the puck and get up the ice. He doesn't go fast, but still goes by people and has really stabilized their blue line."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=419992

The Mr. Irrelevant is from the NFL. Not sure where this guy is making the connection.

So what? I think you could consider the last pick in pretty much any draft as Mr. Irrelevant, so rare one works out in any league. I've always liked the term and I like it even more when regarding a great young player like Ericsson.

Nice write up.

What's the deal here? Were there mitigating circumstances that kept him from getting picked earlier? I mean that far down the draft and no one was willing to take a flyer on this guy.