• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BlakChamber

2009 College Football Thread

Rate this topic

New year, new thread.

Conversation piece for the offseason. Big 10 expansion and championship game. JoePa is apparently for it.

NEW YORK -- Penn State coach Joe Paterno said Thursday night that he has pushed within the Big Ten conference to expand it to 12 teams as a method of leveling the playing field in college football.

"We go into hiding for six weeks," Paterno said, referring to the hiatus between the end of the Big Ten regular season and the BCS bowls. The other major FBS conferences play into the first weekend of December.

"I've tried to talk to the Big Ten people about, 'Let's get a 12th team -- Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt -- we could have a little bit of a playoff.'"

Asked what sort of response he had received, Paterno raised his eyebrows in a facial shrug.

"You know, it's a conference that's dominated by a couple of people," Paterno said. "If I start talking, they're polite, but they snicker.

"They don't know I know they're snickering, but they're polite. ...I wish I were younger and going to be around [another] 20 years."

Just a guess, but those couple of people would be Michigan and Ohio State, who wouldn't want anything to get in the way of their precious game.

I'd like to throw out three topics for discussion.

1: Should the Big 10 expand?

2: Who should the 12th team be?

3: If so, how should the teams be aligned?

1: Yes it should, for the reasons that JoePa outlined. The Big 10 basically ends their season two-three weeks before everyone else. In addition, the NCAA needs 12 teams in a conference for that conference to have a championship game. The NCAA could grant a waiver and let the Big 10 do a championship game with only 11 teams, but the ACC tried that a few years ago and the NCAA didn't go for it.

In the interest of keeping the Big 10 in discussion when the rest of the conferences are still playing games and being talked about, the Big 10 needs to add a team and add a conference championship game.

2: Notre Dame is the obvious answer. They have location, history, and acedemics. They also have their fat TV contract with NBC. So Notre Dame is a no go. Let's just leave them out of the conversation.

Some possible schools I've seen mentioned repeatedly are Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt, Louisville, and Missouri. Louisville and Missouri can probably be taken off the list. Louisville doesn't have the academics and Missouri probably wouldn't want to give up their rivalry with Kansas.

Cuse is a small private school without much of a TV market. It's like Northwestern, but without the Chicago TV market.

Pitt and Rutgers are both good possibilites. Both are on par with the Big 10 in terms of size and academics. Pitt could get their rivalry with Penn State going again. Rutgers and Penn State could probably get a rivalry going. Both are in large TV markets as well. Rutgers probably has the better football program right now, but their basketball program isn't very good. I would be happy with either one in the Big 10.

3: How to split everyone up. Here would be my geographic breakdowns.

North/South

North: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Iowa.

South: Ohio State, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Penn State, Pitt/Rutgers.

East/West

East: Penn State, Pitt/Rutgers, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Indiana.

West: Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois.

Looking at the two of those, North/South is probably more evenly balanced. Each team would play 5 games against their division, 3 games against the other division, with one protected game, and 4 non-conference games. To use Michigan as an example, their schedule could look like:

GVSU

UMass

Notre Dame

Michigan School for the Blind

Minnesota

Indiana (rotating game)

MSU

Iowa

Penn State (rotating game)

Wisonsin

Northwestern

Ohio State (protected game)

[come on, I couldn't go a whole post without a shot at Michigan ;)]

With making one team in the other division a protected game, it keeps Michigan and Ohio State happy.

OK, I've written way too much. This is what happens when I don't have enough to do at work.

Thoughts?

I like the way your are thinking starting this thread so early.

I'm all for another team, but I would HATE a Big Ten championship game. For one, the OSU/U-M game is watered down. How much would it suck to beat OSU, and then play them in the championship game a couple weeks later, and lose? Or any scenario for that matter. What if MSU beat U-M during the year, and then lose to U-M in the playoffs? I hate those scenarios. It takes away from the rivalries. I know teams like Penn State probably don't care about this because they don't have emotion tied into rivalries, but I do and college football is special because of rivalries.

What I would like to see is all Big Ten teams play each other. All you have to do is take out some garbage game (Like Delaware State), and fill it in with the missing Big Ten team. The games would be better.

ND is clearly my first choice for a team joining the Big Ten. Everything makes sense. I wish the Notre Dame Broadcasting company would pull their plug on the TV deal. That would be a huge hill to get over, because since they are not going to BCS bowl games that money from a conference will look more appealing.

Pitt would be my second choice. They fit the academics, have the sports, and location makes sense. I wouldn't be in favor to add Cuse, Rugters, Miami of Ohio, or anyone like that.

You want my big time dark horse pick for the Big 10 (far fetched I know, but there was actually talks of it): Texas.

I would be in favor of Texas too, since it would make it a lot easier for me to see MSU play. Texas in the Big 10 would be huge, but I couldn't see it happening. The travel budget alone would be enough for schools not to want them in.

Pitt would be my second choice as well, but Rutgers adds a new state and a new TV market. You do have to think about the almighty dollar.

As far as not wanting a UM/OSU rematch in a Big 10 Championship game, there's a very easy solution for that. Put the two schools in the same division. I took a quick look at the ACC, there may be some logic behind the way their divisions are split up, but it doesn't appear that geography is it.

If the Big Ten expands, and it can't be Notre Dame, then I think Nebraska should be the far and away #1 choice. Fits geographically and keeps the Big Ten in the Midwest, instead of a sort of quasi Midwest-East Coast mix. Tremendous football history, brings a huge alumni base in, and they're an AAU member so they fit that requirement too.

If the Big Ten expands, and it can't be Notre Dame, then I think Nebraska should be the far and away #1 choice. Fits geographically and keeps the Big Ten in the Midwest, instead of a sort of quasi Midwest-East Coast mix. Tremendous football history, brings a huge alumni base in, and they're an AAU member so they fit that requirement too.

I doubt they will leave the big 12. They have too many rivalries in the big 12 anyway.

I like the option of Pitt or Sryacuse personally. Plus getting Pitt or the 'Cuse would bolster the basketball conference big time.

I am also in favor of the East/West alignment. Michigan-Ohio State would still be a big deal then, almost assuring that it would decide at least who heads to the Big Ten Championship game, where under the North/South game...it is possible for both teams to play once during the season and then turn around and play right back in the championship game. If so, why bother with the season game.

Look at it this way. Alabama and Auburn are two of the most bitter rivals. Does there game become meaningless due to playing in the same divison in a conference? HELL NO!!

Edited by timothy1997

I didn't think about Nebraska. But I do agree with Timothy that they probably wouldn't want to leave the Big 12.

There are some good points listed above by you guys. How about I play devil's advocate here though. How about we just kick out Penn State from the Big 10? :D

Let's face it every school was suppose to bow down to PSU when they joined the league. They have been good, but not as good as the PSU fans proclaimed. It also gives us 10 teams again, and we can play everyone.

OR have college football remove all conference championship games. Mack Brown suggested it last season after he was hosed.

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

There are some good points listed above by you guys. How about I play devil's advocate here though. How about we just kick out Penn State from the Big 10? :D

Let's face it every school was suppose to bow down to PSU when they joined the league. They have been good, but not as good as the PSU fans proclaimed. It also gives us 10 teams again, and we can play everyone.

OR have college football remove all conference championship games. Mack Brown suggested it last season after he was hosed.

#1 PSU will never be kicked out of the Big 10.

#2 Conference championship games make too much money for their conferences to be eliminated.

#1 PSU will never be kicked out of the Big 10.

#2 Conference championship games make too much money for their conferences to be eliminated.

I'm not serious on No. 1...I'm just saying

You are right on about No. 2, but it would be interesting IMO if more people brought it up.

Why people hate Notre Dame. From the Sporting News.

I understand a bit of historical airbrushing surrounding the custom team publication. NFL Films faces the annual task of creating a film for every team in the NFL, including total disasters. They make for great viewing, if only to watch the editors squirm to find one bit of good footage in the garbage pile of even the 2008 Detroit Lions' season while the announcer booms something like "The Detroit Lions fought valiantly, and only allowed 351 yards and 2 TDs to Drew Brees in a 42-7 loss."

At least they leave the facts and nasty bits in, though. This year's Notre Dame media guide was outsourced to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, who excised not just the 2007 3-9 Notre Dame season from the record, but also any losing record whatsoever from Weis' record.

How was there talks of Texas? Makes no sense lol

as for the michigan-ohio state game being watered down just put them in the same division so only one team can play the team from the other divison and they only play each other once, problem solved

Edited by Anaheim Lucks

How was there talks of Texas? Makes no sense lol

It could make sense in that Texas is stuck in a conference with a crappy TV deal and they are academically closer to the rest of the Big 10 schools than they are the rest of the Big 12. Getting in on the CIC would be big time for Texas as a school.

That being said, as cool as it would be for me as a Texan to have UT be part of the Big 10, I just don't see it happening. Missouri or Nebraska would make a lot more sense.

That being said, as cool as it would be for me as a Texan to have UT be part of the Big 12, I just don't see it happening. Missouri or Nebraska would make a lot more sense.

Texas is already a part of the big 12...so is Missouri and nebraska.

Took a look at the new Michigan State schedule and I was like WHOA!! this sets up nicely for the Spartans this year. Check it out.

Sat, Sep 5 Montana State

Sat, Sep 12 Central Michigan

Sat, Sep 19 at Notre Dame

Sat, Sep 26 at Wisconsin

Sat, Oct 3 Michigan

Sat, Oct 10 at Illinois

Sat, Oct 17 Northwestern

Sat, Oct 24 (20) Iowa

Sat, Oct 31 at Minnesota

Sat, Nov 7 Western Michigan

Sat, Nov 14 at Purdue

Sat, Nov 21 (8) Penn State

Not sure what the toughest road game is. Wisconsin?? Illinois?? Definately the hardest home game is Penn State. Penn State is gonna be tough this year. They basically return everyone on their team.

I see PSU winning the big ten with Ohio State in 2nd, but why can't this team with this schedule have a 2 loss year and finish 3rd in the big ten.

^^^

Yeah, it's a fairly weak schedule this year. I hate the opening game against Montana State. Nothing good comes from playing 1-AA teams. If you win, BFD. You were supposed to win. If you lose, well, just ask Michigan about that.

I do love that we're avoiding OSU and Pryor for the next two years.

^^^

Yeah, it's a fairly weak schedule this year. I hate the opening game against Montana State. Nothing good comes from playing 1-AA teams. If you win, BFD. You were supposed to win. If you lose, well, just ask Michigan about that.

I do love that we're avoiding OSU and Pryor for the next two years.

I think this year is all about Dantonio for MSU. Michigan State has had on paper "easy" schedules before and failed to deliver. Lose to a team like Indiana or LA Tech. With a lot of talent departed, this will surely be a sign if this program is in the right direction like a lot of people believe it is. Plus an excellent shot at going for back to back wins against Big Blue.

I think this year is all about Dantonio for MSU. Michigan State has had on paper "easy" schedules before and failed to deliver. Lose to a team like Indiana or LA Tech. With a lot of talent departed, this will surely be a sign if this program is in the right direction like a lot of people believe it is. Plus an excellent shot at going for back to back wins against Big Blue.

I know a guy down here who played for MSU a while ago and he knows some of the coaches. Chatting with him today he said both Nichol and Cousins are looking really good, and the defense should be awesome. There probably will be slight step back since you're getting new QBs and RBs, but I really think anything else than 8-4 will be a disappointment.

#46 Michigan

#46 overall is Michigan. Interesting breakdown and analysis. Thought the wolverine fans on here might enjoy. I really think the QB situation is gonna be the key for UM this year. If Forcier is not the answer, someone has to be.

I read that earlier today. That is a very solid breakdown. I have no doubt in my mind Forcier is better then Threet or Sheridan, but I can't tell you how many more wins that will equal. I'm really worried about the defense. I think Greg Robinson is going to do a great job at some point, but with this current talent on that side I just don't know about this year...

I read that earlier today. That is a very solid breakdown. I have no doubt in my mind Forcier is better then Threet or Sheridan...

There's someone in East Lansing who is looking foward to meeting Tate...

n2309100_49952224_9026.jpg

Greg Jones...he's a baaaaaaaaaad man...

#31 Michigan State

Thought they would be a little bit higher, might even in the top 25 but I am ok with the ranking. Defensively they look pretty solid. Greg Jones is the main linebacker so the Spartans need him to be just that. If they can get a pass rush, the secondary has talent and should capitalize on that.

Offensively tho, they have holes to fill. A QB and HB must step up and the WRs have to be the strongest link in the offense. Limit the dropped passes.

The schedule favors MSU to have another great year but everyone will bring out the SOS (same ol' sparties) if they cant even get past CMU in week 2. 2-3 loss team is very reasonable expectations.

This year should show Dantonio's system and if it is working in East Lansing.

#31 Michigan State

Thought they would be a little bit higher, might even in the top 25 but I am ok with the ranking. Defensively they look pretty solid. Greg Jones is the main linebacker so the Spartans need him to be just that. If they can get a pass rush, the secondary has talent and should capitalize on that.

Offensively tho, they have holes to fill. A QB and HB must step up and the WRs have to be the strongest link in the offense. Limit the dropped passes.

The schedule favors MSU to have another great year but everyone will bring out the SOS (same ol' sparties) if they cant even get past CMU in week 2. 2-3 loss team is very reasonable expectations.

This year should show Dantonio's system and if it is working in East Lansing.

I think MSU's QB situation will be an upgrade over Hoyer whether it's Cousins or Nichol. They need a RB to rise the top though or else they are in trouble on offense. Ringer left, Ringer right, Ringer up the middle 30+ times a game will be missed, but if Nichol starts that will solve some of it because he can move. That CMU game will be very interesting. CMU can play, and still have LeFevour who is a stud.