303 replies to this topic

#41 mannysBETTER3434

mannysBETTER3434

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (betterREDthandead @ August 25, 2009 - 11:42AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's the other way round. Honestly, I think MSU is overrated this year.

I want to agree with you, but don't know if I can just yet. I honestly have no clue about U-M or MSU this year. I've read everything I can, and it hasn't helped. I need to see them both for myself. MSU can't replace Ringer this year, but say Nichol starts and they get a solid RB to step up they could match Ringer's rushing numbers because Nichol can run unlike Hoyer. I also don't think replacing Hoyer is that big deal because he wasn't that good to begin with. They have 2 stars on D, and for once decent depth. So yeah I just don't know, because Nichol isn't even the starter. If it's Couisins they lose a way to run, and if no RB steps up the whole story changes.

I can't say anything about U-M, because how am I suppose to know what to expect from 2 freshmen QB's? If they were both completing 70% of their passes this summer I still wouldn't bite it. Playing 7 on 7's, and performing well during 2 a days against a mix of starters, backups, and walk-ons doesn't mean anything until you step up to the plate in front of 110,000 people. The same can be said for the OL pretty much as well. I think the defense could surprise but I'm very, very concerned about playing power teams like Wisconsin/Iowa. I don't know if they have the personal to stop that, and if there is ONE major injury on that side of the ball they are in deep trouble. The depth RR inherited on that side of the ball was and still is horrible.

Edited by mannysBETTER3434, 25 August 2009 - 03:07 PM.

#42 Lidstrom for life

Lidstrom for life

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (timothy1997 @ July 15, 2009 - 08:37AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting that you picked Nichol. I know little about Nichol. I know he has tremendous upside and is a very atheltic QB. Whether or not his time is now or in the next few seasons, i guess we will have to wait and see.

Curious to see what Michigan fans are thinking with reports that Rich Rod is on a short leash this year and unless things turn around dramatically, this would be his last season. they are saying that recruits dont like Rich, they dont like his practice style. Boosters dont like him and the school doesnt like the whole lawsuit mess from West Va.

As a Michigan fan who goes to Michigan State I am going to reply to both parts of this post. First in regard to Nichol, I think he should be MSUs QB. When I was a sophmore in high school my home town of St Johns played against Lowell in the state championship game, (fun fact: our quarterback was Andy Schmitt who is now the QB at Eastern Michigan) and Nichol was playing for Lowell, Lowell won the game and Nichol was flat out awesome. I also went to the spring game at MSU this year (no, not as a spy) and I thought that Nichol was clearly the better of the two quarterbacks. I think his athletic ability would be a huge benefit for MSU especially early in the season since they don't have a clear #1 running back yet. If Nichol plays and a quality running back emerges MSU has a serious chance at atleast a share of the big ten title (due in large part to not playing OSU and getting Penn State and Iowa at home). If they can find a way to win at Illinois it could be a special season.

As far as the Rich Rod thing, I don't think he is on a short lease...yet. Although Michigans AD did jokingly say that if they have another 3-8 season they will both be putting their houses up for sale. It is true that a lot of players have left the program because they don't like the practice style/workouts etc but the same thing happened when Bo took over. I think any true Michigan fans have to realize that the obstacles last years team had to overcome were insane (Hart, Henne, Long etc graduating, Mallett and Boren transferring, several other players leaving the team because they didn't like the new system/style, and lots and lots of injuries) Further, Michigan still managed to land a top 10 recruting class which took a lot of the heat off in my opinion. I think Rich Rod has one more "free pass" season before he has to start worrying about job security, although there will be plenty of upset Michigan fans if there is no bowl game again this year.
credits to hobbit-face for my icon.

#43 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (timothy1997 @ August 22, 2009 - 09:15PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how do you feel jack that 3 of the mountain west teams are ranked in the top 25 with no guarntee of a bcs bowl game yet the big east has no one in the top 25 yet has a bcs bowl game guarntee? Do you think they will change it soon to open the door to the Mountain West conference soon?

I don't know and honestly I really don't care anymore. The bowl selection system is all f'ed up as it is and there is rarely a fair way to choose a National Champion (or at least a matchup). Plenty of examples to choose from...

2008 - Oklahoma doesn't even beat Texas but still plays in their conference championship due to BCS standnings and eventually the National Championship, losing to Florida

2007 - LSU vs. Ohio State - Which I am glad LSU won being a fan but you could've basically picked multiple teams out of a hat that year to play for the Championship (b/c of 2-loss teams etc.)

2004 I think - Oklahoma doesn't even win their conference but plays for the National Championship and loses to USC.

2001 or 2002? - Nebraska doesn't even win their conference but plays for the National Championship and loses to Miami.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see my school get in a BCS game, but there is rarely anything fair about the BCS selection process regardless of if you are in one of the qualifing conferences or not. So getting on a soapbox and campaigning is a waste of time IMO. Just win your games and see what happens from there...

#44 timothy1997

timothy1997

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:12 PM

^^ Very classy Jack. I wish more fans in sports were like you.

I personally would understand in frustration over the fact that every year it seems that the Mountain West conference gets screwed.

#45 mannysBETTER3434

mannysBETTER3434

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:28 AM

It such a messed up system. It's really a shame. That's why I don't expect National Championships from Michigan. I expect B10 titles and BCS bowls. Every year you got 2-3 teams usually getting screwed and it's a joke.

#46 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:32 AM

QUOTE (mannysBETTER3434 @ August 27, 2009 - 02:28AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It such a messed up system. It's really a shame. That's why I don't expect National Championships from Michigan. I expect B10 titles and BCS bowls. Every year you got 2-3 teams usually getting screwed and it's a joke.

They probably deserved a shot in 2006 but nobody wanted a rematch. Florida was the best team anyways -- which UM then inexplicably beat the next year. wacko.gif
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#47 timothy1997

timothy1997

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:53 AM

QUOTE (Heroes of Hockeytown @ August 27, 2009 - 02:32AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They probably deserved a shot in 2006 but nobody wanted a rematch. Florida was the best team anyways -- which UM then inexplicably beat the next year. wacko.gif

Michigan had their chance in 2006 on the football field. A lot of these screwed teams dont even get that shot in the BCS.

#48 The Winged Wheel

The Winged Wheel

Prospect

• 42 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:41 AM

Pretty much agreed. They need to rename it to the Bull Crap System.

#49 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Beat Boston!

• Gold Booster
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:38 PM

I hate the BCS as well like most everyone else has said. However, I think it is here to stay for the forseeable future. My first preference after trashing the BCS for a playoff system would be to eliminate the pre-season rankings altogether. They generate hype and something to talk about in August, but beyond that they have no purpose. Start the rankings in early October when there are actual games to judge performance. It doesn't completely level the playing field, but it does create a more fair opportunity for quality teams that might have been unjustly ranked lower in the pre-season.

I can't wait for next Saturday. Nothing better than college football.

#50 Lidstrom for life

Lidstrom for life

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (GoWings1905 @ August 27, 2009 - 02:38PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate the BCS as well like most everyone else has said. However, I think it is here to stay for the forseeable future. My first preference after trashing the BCS for a playoff system would be to eliminate the pre-season rankings altogether. They generate hype and something to talk about in August, but beyond that they have no purpose. Start the rankings in early October when there are actual games to judge performance. It doesn't completely level the playing field, but it does create a more fair opportunity for quality teams that might have been unjustly ranked lower in the pre-season.

I can't wait for next Saturday. Nothing better than college football.

I completely agree with you about the preseason rankings they are a terrible idea. I know I am in a very small minority here but I prefer the BCS over a playoff system. With a playoff season you would take all the fun out of the regular season. Last year for instance when Oregon State shocked USC that was a huge deal and super exciting, if there was a playoff system no one would have cared and it wouldn't have mattered anyway because USC still would have made the playoff. It is unfortunate that teams like Utah can go undefeated and get screwed out of playing for the national title but IMO national titles aren't that big of a deal. Yes I actually said that. As a fan of the big ten to me the biggest game of the year is the rose bowl regardless of whether it is the national championship game or not. I would have been pissed if Michigan played in a national title game in 97 instead of the rose bowl. I am probably the only person in the country that feels that way but oh well.

Also with the BCS you can at least see the justification behind the rankings, unlike with coaches/media poll.

Edited by Lidstrom for life, 27 August 2009 - 04:19 PM.

#51 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:31 PM

I would also prefer to continue to refine the BCS than to have a playoff.

The vast majority of fans and writers who want a playoff live in fantasy gumdrop rainbow land, in which purity of competition is the first and only criterion in designing a playoff. Many are in favor of a playoff because they have their own special fantasy of how it would play out, and would likely be sorely and wildly disappointed to see the actual end result. There are certain truths that nobody takes into account when they say retarded things like, "a playoff wouldn't have to destroy the bowl system, you could incorporate the bowls into the playoff."

I have my own idea how I'd like to see a playoff go, and I like it enough I could even be pro-playoff if it were implemented. I have no illusions this will happen, though, and so I remain staunchly anti-playoff.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#52 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Beat Boston!

• Gold Booster
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:17 PM

Maybe Michigan can better that 3-9 record with all the practice they have been getting in. nono.gif

Edited by GoWings1905, 30 August 2009 - 07:18 PM.

#53 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE (GoWings1905 @ August 30, 2009 - 08:17PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe Michigan can better that 3-9 record with all the practice they have been getting in. nono.gif

Yeah, I think we're up s***'s creek here:

Link

We're almost a full week into it and preseason camp is everything all of us freshmen expected it to be: learning a completely new style of football, working hard every day to try and move our way up the depth chart, meeting new people and trying to fit in with the flow of things, and trying to get used to this totally foreign schedule. A typical day consists of showing up for meetings as early as 7:30 a.m. and being dismissed after our final meeting at 9:30 p.m. In those 14 hours, we have meetings, practice, lunch, more meetings, film sessions, dinner and meetings.

Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#54 mannysBETTER3434

mannysBETTER3434

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:20 AM

That article was the biggest joke ever. I don't know where to even begin with it. Once again Rosenberg, and the Freep write with a double standard. Using nameless sources (who were FORMER players) and taking true freshmen quotes out of context is pure busch league journalism.

I think we all know there are gray areas while you work out for sports. It happens at every school, and when I say every I mean even high school. When I was in high school I played hockey and football and during the offseason you always had your "optional workouts". If you missed a couple consecutive or heck even one you always got questions from your coaches (in their disappointed voice).."Where were you? Are you committed? Do you want to start this season? This person plays your position and always shows up, etc"

Edited by mannysBETTER3434, 31 August 2009 - 10:21 AM.

#55 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (mannysBETTER3434 @ August 31, 2009 - 11:20AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That article was the biggest joke ever. I don't know where to even begin with it. Once again Rosenberg, and the Freep write with a double standard. Using nameless sources (who were FORMER players) and taking true freshmen quotes out of context is pure busch league journalism.

That is what infuriates me to no end. There are a few potentially troubling issues in the article, but nothing that is as major as they make it sound. But this bit about quoting the freshmen who "apparently didn't know the rules" is dirty, scummy, rotten journalism. And it's horses***, because the freshmen were talking about the voluntary workouts and about preseason camp. In camp, there are no rules about time limits. All that four-hour-a-day stuff goes out the window. Gone. Nothing the freshmen said is even remotely close to a violation nor is it anything different that anyone else does. The link above is from Michigan State. It's not that MSU is violating anything and should be investigated, it's that Rosenberg had nof****** business insinuating Michigan was doing anything wrong as far as Stokes and Hawthorne were concerned.
Posted Image

#56 mannysBETTER3434

mannysBETTER3434

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (betterREDthandead @ August 31, 2009 - 11:34AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is what infuriates me to no end. There are a few potentially troubling issues in the article, but nothing that is as major as they make it sound. But this bit about quoting the freshmen who "apparently didn't know the rules" is dirty, scummy, rotten journalism. And it's horses***, because the freshmen were talking about the voluntary workouts and about preseason camp. In camp, there are no rules about time limits. All that four-hour-a-day stuff goes out the window. Gone. Nothing the freshmen said is even remotely close to a violation nor is it anything different that anyone else does. The link above is from Michigan State. It's not that MSU is violating anything and should be investigated, it's that Rosenberg had nof****** business insinuating Michigan was doing anything wrong as far as Stokes and Hawthorne were concerned.

Absolutely right. What they also fail to explain is when you're watching film, rehabbing an injury, or working out extra because YOU WANT TO GET BETTER that doesn't count towards the 20 hours!! If Je'Ron Stokes said flat out "Coaches told me they would pull my scholarship if I didn't do _____" then we got problems, and there is legitimate concerns with what is going on here but it's clear this was a smear campaign and a final attempt to save the Free Press. Good try guys and have fun finding new jobs.

Edited by mannysBETTER3434, 31 August 2009 - 04:07 PM.

#57 Lidstrom for life

Lidstrom for life

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (mannysBETTER3434 @ August 31, 2009 - 05:04PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good try guys and have fun finding new jobs.

thumbup.gif worst article ever. I really hope the free press gets humiliated over this.

#58 timothy1997

timothy1997

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (betterREDthandead @ August 31, 2009 - 08:33AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I think we're up s***'s creek here:

Link

That quote is misleading. MSU players run some of their practices in order for them to improve as much as they can. It is something Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State etc have always done in the past. Let the seniors run the practice and put the players "out of bounds" to the media like Carr did is the answer so you dont have idiot freshman taken advantage of a reporter just looking for a big story.

Oh and would this story come out if Michigan won 9 games last year. Answer is NO.

#59 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (timothy1997 @ August 31, 2009 - 10:05PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That quote is misleading. MSU players run some of their practices in order for them to improve as much as they can. It is something Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State etc have always done in the past. Let the seniors run the practice and put the players "out of bounds" to the media like Carr did is the answer so you dont have idiot freshman taken advantage of a reporter just looking for a big story.

No, it's something every school does and continues to do. Including Michigan. The coaches aren't allowed to watch nearly any of the players' summer activities. The Freep alleges that they did. Michigan's compliance department, which is the same staff they had under Carr too, found no problems along this line or they'd have reported it.

Anyway, the MSU quote isn't about offseason practice, it's about preseason practice. There's no time limit on preseason camp, except for limits on actual practice length and some regs on two-a-days. MSU coaches are supervising the whole thing, guaranteed. Of course, Stokes was also talking, in part, about preseason camp, conveniently ignored by the Freep.

And I'll thank you not to call the players "idiot freshmen." They didn't act stupidly, they answered the questions they were asked. It's something anyone would have done. You're right on one thing - the media access will probably be tightened up. Thanks for that, Rosenberg, you *******. RR was much more open than Carr was and it was getting interesting. Back to Fort Schembechler, I bet. Although, I think but am not sure that these media days where Stokes and Hawthorne were asked these questions are required.
Posted Image

#60 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (mannysBETTER3434 @ August 31, 2009 - 03:04PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Absolutely right. What they also fail to explain is when you're watching film, rehabbing an injury, or working out extra because YOU WANT TO GET BETTER that doesn't count towards the 20 hours!! If Je'Ron Stokes said flat out "Coaches told me they would pull my scholarship if I didn't do _____" then we got problems, and there is legitimate concerns with what is going on here but it's clear this was a smear campaign and a final attempt to save the Free Press. Good try guys and have fun finding new jobs.

I haven't paid attention to football since last year until today when several people are calling me asking me what I think of the Michigan scandal. huh.gif So I had to look it up of course.

I agree very lame attempt by the Free Press to garner attention. Wouldn't want to print positive stories about the Detroit area or Michigan in these times - why not dig up some dirt to hurt the local area even more. It's like the virus that kills the host - and itself.

If there are really "illegal practices" going on - then on one hand they deserve some heat. But seriously if that is the worst they can dig up - that is pretty lame. No drugs, guns, domestic violence, dog fighting rings ( wink.gif ) etc., but a few too many reps - OMG! ohmy.gif

I was a Carr supporter so I am not sure about Rich Rod - but he deserves a chance to get some of his own players and give it a shot. I'm one of those people that was pretty happy with 10-2 seasons and good bowl bids - Natl Championships are overrated in college football imo, since the system is biased as several have pointed out.

If they get hammered, I'll just boycott college football for a few years and reclaim my autumn Saturdays for something else - there is always an upside when things like this happen.
New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users