• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ilmickeyli

Mike Brown's hit on Hudler

Rate this topic

5 years ago, no one would have had a problem with that hit, there wouldn't have even been a penalty. Looks pretty similar to the hit Stevens laid on Kariya, which no one seemed to think was dirty.

These days, the league is really cracking down on hits to the head, even if apparently clean, which I think they should, but I'm not sure a suspension is warranted here.

5 years ago, no one would have had a problem with that hit, there wouldn't have even been a penalty. Looks pretty similar to the hit Stevens laid on Kariya, which no one seemed to think was dirty.

These days, the league is really cracking down on hits to the head, even if apparently clean, which I think they should, but I'm not sure a suspension is warranted here.

Agreed. Nothing wrong with a clean hit...even if it ends a guy's career. Hits to the head just seem to do that more than most hits.

This.

If Brashear got 5 why shouldn't Brown. Same hit.

:blink: No... not the same hit.

Brashear's hit was much later, and I think Hudler got what he deserved. You need to be aware, especially in the playoffs.

If he was hit with Brown's stick then that is definitely suspension worthy. But since the NHL is cracking down on headshots it looks like he'll get a game or two anyway.

Edited by Louisville

stick.jpg

Oh man, guys. Look at that shoulder-to-face action right there. T. Low is right!! /Sarcasm.

Props to whoever posted this on page 2.

+1 - There's no homerism in calling a dirty hit like it is. If that's truly a shoulder to the head, I wouldn't be yappin'.

The lack of objectivity, the overwhelming Homersim, and the lame observation skills is symptomatic of a declining nation. North Amercia doesn't stand a chance. Good night, kids.

Yeah dude, we're all wrong, and you're right. If there's anything wrong with people in this country, it's their inability to admit when they're wrong. Lame.

stick.jpg

Oh man, guys. Look at that shoulder-to-face action right there. T. Low is right!! /Sarcasm.

Props to whoever posted this on page 2.

Oh great, now I got some little girl whose parents bought her a computer for her own bedroom and has never hit anybody in a contact sport in her life, playing Kelly Hrudey on the telestrator.

Notice the elbow in tight, Hudlers mellon is chest high on Brown. He didnt' go after him with the elbow or stick, he hit him with the shoulder, followed thru (Brown's legs have straightend so you know he has already exploded into his hit and is now beginning the follow thur).

OK, more of you guys with the name calling, but I haven't heard one explanation of what Brown should have done. Hudler blindy floats into his path while admiring his own pass instead of paying attention to where he is going.

Should Brown have openned his arms softly and caught Juri and whispered "Careful"?

Should Brown have attempted evasive action, and risk a knee on knee at most, and at the least put himself out of position to make a play on the puck and letting Hudler get by him for a rush?

Let up on the hit, thereby absorbing more of it, just because Huds wasn't paying attention?

What should Brown have done?

Brown should have back checked instead of charging Hudler and delivering the head shot! Game misconduct and suspension are totally acceptable for that.

Brown did not have a guy float into his path he ******* charged him.

As for you claiming he can''t be responsible for the position Hudler was in when he delivered the hit, that is just asinine. You do not have to intend to commit a penalty for the penalty to be called! You don't even have to intend it to be suspended, you just need to be recklessly indifferent to the health of your fellow player.

During the post-game interview, Carlyle completely defended this hit. He blamed Hudler for "admiring his pass" and said that Brown hit with his shoulder, therefore there is no way it can be dirty. Absolutely disgusting franchise.

Edited by Lovin Jiri Fischer

Oh great, now I got some little girl whose parents bought her a computer for her own bedroom and has never hit anybody in a contact sport in her life, playing Kelly Hrudey on the telestrator.

Notice the elbow in tight, Hudlers mellon is chest high on Brown. He didnt' go after him with the elbow or stick, he hit him with the shoulder, followed thru (Brown's legs have straightend so you know he has already exploded into his hit and is now beginning the follow thur).

Are you serious right now? You complain about being called a "goofball" and then come back with THAT? Grow up, man.

WTF, I thought you were leaving. Waiting around to see how people will react to your ridiculous arguments?

Guest MrSandMan

I didn't like the hit... and if goes unpunished, Ducks are going to continue taking dirty cheap shots. NHL needs to nip this in the bud before it goes out of control and ends careers... or lives.

Brown hit with the sholder, then followed thru with the bows.

Hudlers head was less maybe 48" off the ice. Whats more, Hudler was totally leading with his head, hence the "vulnerable" position he put himself into. Brown cannot be expectd to accomodate for Hudlers goofy body position. There is absolutely no way he could have avoided Hudlers mellon. If for some unexplainable reason Brown happend to be skating backwards so that it was total incidental contact, Hudler still would have crashed and burned and had blood on the ice from his visor cutting his face from the body to body impact.

There are potential collisions happening all the time when you have ten guys skating around at high speed and constantly changing directions. But when a guy moves into your path, if he doesn't have the puck, you turn your skates and your body as much as possible and avoid him. 95% of the time it's quite possible without that much effort. You cannot just haul off and hit a guy when he doesn't have the puck. Some people just can't seem to grasp that. It's illegal. If a player lines someone up while he has the puck and the player gets rid of it just before impact, that's legal, because he had the puck when you lined him up and right up till just before you hit him, but you just can't go blasting guys who haven't had the puck for a couple of seconds, just because they happened to wander into your path.

It doesn't matter whether he hit him in the head (which he did) or didn't, or whether he kept his elbow in or used his stick, it was a late, late hit, and that's why it's illegal.

Edited by LiddyFan

And now I'll tell you, as someone that's played the game since age five (I'm now 24)--and played lacrosse since I was nine--that head-hunting (which this clearly was, as he changed vectors, and didn't go for a hip-check which is a much safer check to go for if you're not blind-siding the guy) is the biggest ***** move in contact sports; it's not only dirty, but it shows a general lack of respect for the other side, and the player you're about to hit.

I played defense in both hockey and lacrosse, and while I've made some border-line dirty hits in my time, this was a ridiculous hit that should never have been made in the first place.

If Brown wants to man up and hit him when he's paying attention, that's one thing. Blind-siding a guy when he's obviously out of a play is ridiculous. Coming in on a smaller guy with a shoulder instead of a hip check from his blind side is down-right villainous.

I've attached an image from

video. Go ahead and watch the replay at 1:40 and tell me he doesn't hit Hudler with his forearm/elbow.

GG. You're a moron.

post-16955-1241238834_thumb.jpg

After watching the replay, the 5 min penalty was more than enough IMO.

The lesson here is dont admire your pass.

Look, I agree about the 5 minutes. I'm not looking for a suspension. But to say "don't admire your pass" is laying the blame here on Hudler when Brown clearly committed the infraction - THUS THE 5 MINUTES.

I thought the hit deserved a 2-5 min and that's it, I don't want the league to become suspension happy.

Agreed

Most people here are blowing the whole situation out of proportion

Look, I agree about the 5 minutes. I'm not looking for a suspension. But to say "don't admire your pass" is laying the blame here on Hudler when Brown clearly committed the infraction - THUS THE 5 MINUTES.

Honestly Im not sure if I saw an infraction.

Wasnt a late hit. At best it was a high hit .

Nothing else should come from the play IMO.

Well I just saw the replay of the Betts hit and the hit on Hudler and to me they look the same. Pretty much the same time w/out the puck just that the Brashear hit looks more savage because Betts is 6' something so Brash' elbow travels higher.

With the hit on Hudler, Browns elbow doesn't go as high to connect with the face since Huds is shorter.

But what ever see it as you please.

I'm seeing an elbow to the head with no attempt at contacting the rest of the body (this is key in determining whether its suspension worthy). I'm also seeing the hit a couple seconds after Hudler let the pass go. I'm calling 2 game suspension.

OK, more of you guys with the name calling, but I haven't heard one explanation of what Brown should have done. Hudler blindy floats into his path while admiring his own pass instead of paying attention to where he is going.

Should Brown have openned his arms softly and caught Juri and whispered "Careful"?

Should Brown have attempted evasive action, and risk a knee on knee at most, and at the least put himself out of position to make a play on the puck and letting Hudler get by him for a rush?

Let up on the hit, thereby absorbing more of it, just because Huds wasn't paying attention?

What should Brown have done?

He should have peeled off entirely rather than veering INTO Hudler after the puck was dumped in to Filppula. Hudler is heading straight for the bench and Brown was heading up ice following the puck. Hudler getting "by him for a rush" was impossible. As was the dreaded knee on knee unless Brown was the guy aiming for it.

He was too late for the hit. Exploding into Hudler's head was pretty much the dumbest course of action he could take at that point. He got lucky that Pavel and Hossa couldn't accomplish anything on the PP or otherwise and only the one individual effort by Franzen went in.

Even if your a ducks fan a don't think this is a suspension Brown is in idiot for giving the league a chance to give him a suspension on a controversial play like that . You can't even ***** about a suspension if it comes. Brown was not thinking about his team, and the outcome of hitting someone in the head. If the ducks play like this the whole series they are done, the wings PP will toast them. If babcock was at the podium in place Carlyle he would not condone something like that from a player on the wings.