• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Phazon

Where is Hossa?

Rate this topic

There's so much more to the game than points. The guy backchecks like crazy, kills penalties, etc...

I agree with Younguns, though, I don't love him and Datsyuk being paired together. To be honest, I'd still prefer to see ZDH against their top line. That line is magic. On the other hand, who am I to argue with Babcock?

This is a strange thread. Both Hossa and Z have more points than Datsyuk, but there's no mention of Pavel not showing up or being a poor leader.

Just sayin'.

Except Datsyuk was the best player of the Columbus series.... and lets not forget duing the first five minutes of game one Datsyuk set up two plays that should have been easy goals yet the player with the puck couldn't finish.

You guys seem to forget that Datsyuk is a playmaker, one of the best in the league. Most of you seem to take for granted his passing ability, his faceoff ability and his defensive ability.

The difference between Datsyuk and Hossa is simple. Datsyuk throws his weight around constantly. He wins key faceoffs, he sets up other players and he doesn't stand around in his own zone waiting for breakouts or standing around waiting to take one timers.

Hossa is a one dimensional forward who backchecks hard in the neutral zone. Datsyuk is a Selke winning center who is great in both ends.

And in all honestly, put Datsyuk and Franzen together and one could argue that Pavel would easily be leading the team in scoring.

Hossa and Datsyuk have zero chemistry.

I don't love him and Datsyuk being paired together.

Neither do I unless they're on the Power Play.

Both have had to shed reputations of being unnoticeable intensity-wise in the playoffs. Joe Thornton syndrome as some may call it. They've both gotten a little better in that department. I think it helped Datsyuk last year to play with Zetterberg, a guy who without question gives his intensity on the defensive end. I'm just saying some need those kind of linemates to help them dig deeper in the moment when they're on the ice.

he doesn't stand around in his own zone waiting for breakouts or standing around waiting to take one timers.

Hossa is a one dimensional forward who backchecks hard in the neutral zone.

:rolleyes: Would you like Hull, Shanahan or Lang back on the team?

Some teams would kill for their star forward(s) to play D like Hoss. He's fine in his own end.

You know what's REALLY funny is that just Hossa's presence alone is a boost for this team. Last year, one of our most important players (not on the stats sheets for all you people who only realize that aspect of the game) was Dallas freaking DRAKE! Why? Because he wanted that Cup more than anyone else. His presence alone pushed the other Red Wings to be better and this year, that is what Hossa has been doing. Sure, I'd love for him to get going like he did last year for the Pens. But to say he is "invisible" is just ridiculously stupid.

Stop looking at the stats. Just WATCH the guy when he's on the ice. He's always giving 200% to get the puck, to back-check, to hold onto and control the puck. Sometimes you just need that extra bit of energy that Hossa is providing and thus far, it's paid off. Now, if you wanna say he's been invisible on the stats sheet, then go ahead. But as it's been pointed out, none of our top 4 offenseman have been dominating by any means.

Besides, it's been a single game into this series where we saw a VERY rusty Red Wings team.

Oh, and for the idiot who said "oh, he just scored 2 goals against a Colombus team that was already down 3 games to none". Uhhhh, have you EVER heard a hockey player make the expression of "they always say the clinching game is the hardest"? That's because it IS! Hossa scored 2 goals in the most hard-fought game of the series. A game where Colombus had nothing to lose and was leaving it all on the ice.

Funny thing, eh? Thus far in the playoffs, game 4 of the Colombus series, the most important game of these EARLY playoffs, at the point where we needed Hossa most on the score sheet, he was there! Like I said, he might not be scoring two-three goals/points a game, but you HAVE to believe that his energy alone is giving the Wings a mental boost that is much needed after a worrisome regular season.

Edited by This Is Bida

You know what's REALLY funny is that just Hossa's presence alone is a boost for this team. Last year, one of our most important players (not on the stats sheets for all you people who only realize that aspect of the game) was Dallas freaking DRAKE! Why? Because he wanted that Cup more than anyone else. His presence alone pushed the other Red Wings to be better and this year, that is what Hossa has been doing. Sure, I'd love for him to get going like he did last year for the Pens. But to say he is "invisible" is just ridiculously stupid.

Stop looking at the stats. Just WATCH the guy when he's on the ice. He's always giving 200% to get the puck, to back-check, to hold onto and control the puck. Sometimes you just need that extra bit of energy that Hossa is providing and thus far, it's paid off. Now, if you wanna say he's been invisible on the stats sheet, then go ahead. But as it's been pointed out, none of our top 4 offenseman have been dominating by any means.

Besides, it's been a single game into this series where we saw a VERY rusty Red Wings team.

Oh, and for the idiot who said "oh, he just scored 2 goals against a Colombus team that was already down 3 games to none". Uhhhh, have you EVER heard a hockey player make the expression of "they always say the clinching game is the hardest"? That's because it IS! Hossa scored 2 goals in the most hard-fought game of the series. A game where Colombus had nothing to lose and was leaving it all on the ice.

Funny thing, eh? Thus far in the playoffs, game 4 of the Colombus series, the most important game of these EARLY playoffs, at the point where we needed Hossa most on the score sheet, he was there! Like I said, he might not be scoring two-three goals/points a game, but you HAVE to believe that his energy alone is giving the Wings a mental boost that is much needed after a worrisome regular season.

Great post. Really.

It's just a little bothersome when he or Pav in the O zone has the puck but just circles around the perimeter only to lose it while Homer does all the dirty work in front of the net. One of those two has to go to the net more often and I don't care who. Overall, I have faith that they will do whatever they need to do to win and that's all that matters. The series just began and some things are still a work in progress.

Except Datsyuk was the best player of the Columbus series.... and lets not forget duing the first five minutes of game one Datsyuk set up two plays that should have been easy goals yet the player with the puck couldn't finish.

You guys seem to forget that Datsyuk is a playmaker, one of the best in the league. Most of you seem to take for granted his passing ability, his faceoff ability and his defensive ability.

The difference between Datsyuk and Hossa is simple. Datsyuk throws his weight around constantly. He wins key faceoffs, he sets up other players and he doesn't stand around in his own zone waiting for breakouts or standing around waiting to take one timers.

Hossa is a one dimensional forward who backchecks hard in the neutral zone. Datsyuk is a Selke winning center who is great in both ends.

And in all honestly, put Datsyuk and Franzen together and one could argue that Pavel would easily be leading the team in scoring.

Hossa and Datsyuk have zero chemistry.

ohhh yea, almost forogot... I think you just might be one of the dumbest people I've ever met when it comes to hockey knowledge. Hossa doesn't use his weight/size? You could argue that he uses his size better than Franzen (don't get me wrong here, love Franzen too). Only backchecks in the neutral zone? Do you think that Mickey just makes out Hossa to be this amazing goal scorer who just happens to play phenomenal defensive hockey for his own good? As 'numberthirtynine' already pointed out, MOST (he only said 'some') teams would KILL to have their star forwards play defensive hockey as well as Hossa. Hell, I'd even care to argue that Hossa puts forth more effort back-checking than he actually does skating up ice!

"one dimensional"!!! :blink:

Are you freaking KIDDING ME? Funny thing is, before Hossa even played a single game, the whole organization was foaming at the mouth when Hossa signed, foaming at the mouth about how great of a fit he'd be in a Wings uniform because he's such a great forward who can play well defensively. Then again, Babcock must just be an idiot putting Hossa out there on the penalty kill all the time, like he does. Maybe YOU should take over as Wings head coach so YOU can win us a Cup! Or you'd probably just run Hossa out of town and every other great player like him cause you're such a damn FOOOOOL!!!

(I apologize if I came off a bit harsh or cruel towards a fellow Red Wings fan. I'm a little drunk and I've dealt with immaturity all night. Just saying, you should probably rethink your opinion since you're the only person on the planet who feels this way about this specific player)

Edited by This Is Bida

ohhh yea, almost forogot... I think you just might be one of the dumbest people I've ever met when it comes to hockey knowledge. Hossa doesn't use his weight/size? You could argue that he uses his size better than Franzen (don't get me wrong here, love Franzen too). Only backchecks in the neutral zone? Do you think that Mickey just makes out Hossa to be this amazing goal scorer who just happens to play phenomenal defensive hockey for his own good? As 'numberthirtynine' already pointed out, MOST (he only said 'some') teams would KILL to have their star forwards play defensive hockey as well as Hossa. Hell, I'd even care to argue that Hossa puts forth more effort back-checking than he actually does skating up ice!

"one dimensional"!!! :blink:

Are you freaking KIDDING ME? Funny thing is, before Hossa even played a single game, the whole organization was foaming at the mouth when Hossa signed, foaming at the mouth about how great of a fit he'd be in a Wings uniform because he's such a great forward who can play well defensively. Then again, Babcock must just be an idiot putting Hossa out there on the penalty kill all the time, like he does. Maybe YOU should take over as Wings head coach so YOU can win us a Cup! Or you'd probably just run Hossa out of town and every other great player like him cause you're such a damn FOOOOOL!!!

Flip and Cleary spend more time on the penalty kill than Hossa. Hossa is on the PK, with Datsyuk at the experation of a penalty. The pairings are as such, when everyone is healthy.

1. Zetterberg/Draper

2. Cleary/Flip

3. Datsyuk/Hossa

In that order, its like that because Datsyuk can catch the other team off gaurd getting his number one line on the ice the second he gets his fifth man back, instead of having to change two forwards.

Of course, what do I know? I never watch games... or I can get over the love affair with Hossa and realize that he doesn't "Click" with Datsyuk or Zetterberg for that matter.

Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Franzen are signed for the next decade(I doubt Datsyuk leaves after his contract expires). Hossa is signed for one season and if he is re-signed it will be at the cost of either Kronwall, Hudler or Filippula.

This team, minus Drake won a Stanley Cup last season. Hossa is a luxury who doesn't really fit with either of our two premier playmaking centers, which this team is based around. If the Wings win a cup this season it'll be a great story but it won't be because of Hossa.

I think some of you are unaware of a little thing called the "Salary Cap". Read up on it, then come back and discuss whether Hossa is worth keeping around even at a discounted rate.

The "Presence" of Hossa keeps Flip from centering the second line like he should be and it breaks up arguably the best line in hockey (Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom). It also keeps Zetterberg from scoring at the potential he can because hes separated from Datsyuk.

The point is, the signing of Hossa was great but as it was seen then and now its a one year deal. He doesn't hurt this team I guess but the amount of space he takes up or the amount of assets lost if we re-signed him doesn't justify keeping Hossa. Signing Franzen for over a decade sealed that fate.

Discussing Hossa's "Defense". He doesn't play defense in the sense that Datsyuk does and certainly not in the style that Zetterberg does. Watch the next game, watch any game, watch his positioning in his own zone when the other team sets up. Any time the opposing team gets the Datsyuk line pinned in their own zone, 100% of the time Hossa is standing waiting for Datsyuk or a defenseman to get him the puck. Its the same style Ovechkin plays. Certainly you need an "open man" but Hossa isn't giving 200% like the other poster eluded to. Hes not a Selke forward, hes got great hustle and chases down players through the neutral zone but he doesn't even compare to Dats or Z in their own zones.

I thought he was overrated before he came to the Wings, some of you are taking it to an entirely new level. There are much better and cheaper options in the off season who IMO would have better chemistry playing with Datsyuk or Zetterberg.

A guy like Marian "Made of glass" Gaborik, if healthy would be a PERFECT fit for this team. Hes a combination of goal scoring and playmaking in the same mold as Zetterberg.

Daniel Cleary is giving 200% and back-checks like hell. Are we thinking about giving him a $6-7m contract ?

Hossa is highly overrated, concerning playoffs performance. Remember him in the Stanley Cup Finals last year ? I don't want another Thorntorn in a long-term contract.

Datsyuk has been dominant. Not on the stats, on the ice. He's the only one (with Franzen) which makes plays on a regular basis.

Just pair him with somebody visible on the ice and his assists would be everywhere in the scoring sheet.

Zetterberg would come back to his usual level if paired with Pavel.

We're playing against a one-line team, we need our two superstars on the first line to match that scary Getzlaf line.

(I apologize if I came off a bit harsh or cruel towards a fellow Red Wings fan. I'm a little drunk and I've dealt with immaturity all night. Just saying, you should probably rethink your opinion since you're the only person on the planet who feels this way about this specific player)

I can kind of see where that poster is coming from. When we think of Hossa's defensive game, sometimes we get a little blinded by his superb, excellent backchecking. In that area of defense for the forwards, he's probably the best on the Wings.

However, what if the opposition already has the puck deep and they already have it on the cycle? This is where defensive anticipation is so useful so that you can establish good positioning to get the puck back and clear it out. It is this area where, in comparison to others on the team (commonly those centermen who grew up in Sweden's defense-first from infancy system), Hossa just isn't as good. That doesn't mean he's useless in the defensive zone. He's quite able-He's just not as good as some others. And I think it's that comparison that the original poster is making that may be clouding his judgment a little.

:rolleyes: Would you like Hull, Shanahan or Lang back on the team?

Some teams would kill for their star forward(s) to play D like Hoss. He's fine in his own end.

Hossa in 6 or 8 years will be Hull and Shanahan.

Hossa plays with a Selke center on whichever line he plays, he certainly backchecks but you're overrated his defense. And yes, most teams would love Hossa on their team. In the same sense, most teams would love Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart, Kronwall, Filippula, Hudler, Holmstrom. Catch my drift?

We have top six players on most teams playing on the third line..

Hossa isn't needed.

Hossa is highly overrated, concerning playoffs performance. Remember him in the Stanley Cup Finals last year? I don't want another Thorntorn in a long-term contract.

I seriously think that is something Kenny and Co. will bring up during negotiations, as they should. Hossa is a guy who can really carry a team through the regular season but the playoffs are what's most important, especially in Detroit. And imo, Hossa is still in the process of shedding that "playoff choker" label he had seeing as how he's only had one good year of playoff stats. I love Hossa, but if he really wants to stay then he'll probably end up with a contract that has the average cap hit between Pav, Z and Mule.

Cap decrease, $2 million

Hudler raise, $1.5-$2 million at the least.

Zetterberg raise, $4 million

Franzen raise, $1.5 million

---------------------------

$7.5-$9 million increase on team cap #

Its fiscally impossible to sign Hossa unless you move one or two of the following:

Hudler(RFA)

Kronwall

Lilja

Filippula

and one of

Stuart (NTC)

Cleary(NTC)

Rafalski(NTC)

Or you can just let Hossa walk, we'll have a little wiggle room under the cap and all of the salary increases wont be an issue because Hossa's $7.5 million cap hit comes off the books.

In reality, Hossa would have to sign for about $4 million per season for it not to involve losing two roster players.

Edited by DavyMac

Daniel Cleary is giving 200% and back-checks like hell. Are we thinking about giving him a $6-7m contract ?

Hossa is highly overrated, concerning playoffs performance. Remember him in the Stanley Cup Finals last year ? I don't want another Thorntorn in a long-term contract.

Datsyuk has been dominant. Not on the stats, on the ice. He's the only one (with Franzen) which makes plays on a regular basis.

Just pair him with somebody visible on the ice and his assists would be everywhere in the scoring sheet.

Zetterberg would come back to his usual level if paired with Pavel.

We're playing against a one-line team, we need our two superstars on the first line to match that scary Getzlaf line.

Flip and Cleary spend more time on the penalty kill than Hossa. Hossa is on the PK, with Datsyuk at the experation of a penalty. The pairings are as such, when everyone is healthy.

1. Zetterberg/Draper

2. Cleary/Flip

3. Datsyuk/Hossa

In that order, its like that because Datsyuk can catch the other team off gaurd getting his number one line on the ice the second he gets his fifth man back, instead of having to change two forwards.

Of course, what do I know? I never watch games... or I can get over the love affair with Hossa and realize that he doesn't "Click" with Datsyuk or Zetterberg for that matter.

Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Franzen are signed for the next decade(I doubt Datsyuk leaves after his contract expires). Hossa is signed for one season and if he is re-signed it will be at the cost of either Kronwall, Hudler or Filippula.

This team, minus Drake won a Stanley Cup last season. Hossa is a luxury who doesn't really fit with either of our two premier playmaking centers, which this team is based around. If the Wings win a cup this season it'll be a great story but it won't be because of Hossa.

I think some of you are unaware of a little thing called the "Salary Cap". Read up on it, then come back and discuss whether Hossa is worth keeping around even at a discounted rate.

The "Presence" of Hossa keeps Flip from centering the second line like he should be and it breaks up arguably the best line in hockey (Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom). It also keeps Zetterberg from scoring at the potential he can because hes separated from Datsyuk.

The point is, the signing of Hossa was great but as it was seen then and now its a one year deal. He doesn't hurt this team I guess but the amount of space he takes up or the amount of assets lost if we re-signed him doesn't justify keeping Hossa. Signing Franzen for over a decade sealed that fate.

Discussing Hossa's "Defense". He doesn't play defense in the sense that Datsyuk does and certainly not in the style that Zetterberg does. Watch the next game, watch any game, watch his positioning in his own zone when the other team sets up. Any time the opposing team gets the Datsyuk line pinned in their own zone, 100% of the time Hossa is standing waiting for Datsyuk or a defenseman to get him the puck. Its the same style Ovechkin plays. Certainly you need an "open man" but Hossa isn't giving 200% like the other poster eluded to. Hes not a Selke forward, hes got great hustle and chases down players through the neutral zone but he doesn't even compare to Dats or Z in their own zones.

I thought he was overrated before he came to the Wings, some of you are taking it to an entirely new level. There are much better and cheaper options in the off season who IMO would have better chemistry playing with Datsyuk or Zetterberg.

A guy like Marian "Made of glass" Gaborik, if healthy would be a PERFECT fit for this team. Hes a combination of goal scoring and playmaking in the same mold as Zetterberg.

Uhhh, am I dealing with the same moron here? I'm just not sure but it seems as if this is a single person using two seperate accounts...

As for comparing Hossa defensively to Zetterberg and Datsyuk defensively... You're talking about arguably the 2 best defensive fowards in the game of hockey right now and you're complaining the Hossa isn't as good defensively as these two? No sh*t! The same could be said about every single forward in the game of hockey compared the Z and Dats.

Again, what is making you sound like a complete idiot, is that you're making out Hossa to be nothing but offense. A horrible defensive player in his own zone. This is just not the case!!! Again, since you think you're so brilliant, why do you think that everyone in the NHL has complemented Hossa for not only his great offensive play but for his great back-checking and defensive ability AS A FOWARD!!! Did you get that? His defensive play (taking it slow here for you) as A FOWARD. As in nobody expects this guy to be Zetterberg or Datsyuk. Nobody on this planet (except maybe you're dumb.... nevermind) expected Hossa to be a frigging Selke finalist. So WHY are you bringing this up?

Obviously, not every foward can play such great hockey defensively as Zetterberg or Dats. I mean, it's like if Ovechkin wanted to come win a Cup and signed with the Wings for a one year deal for $6 million and here you are complaining that he doesn't play as well defensively as Datsyuk.

It's almost like you're complaing just for the sake of complaining which is why I'm done responding to you. I mean, if you wanna start complaining about Hossa not being a Selke type of forward, why don't we just start ripping everyone apart!

Lidstrom doesn't check enough. He should be out there drilling people. All that and no checking for $7mill a year?

Zetterberg doesn't score enough, all he does is play stupid defensive hockey, and for a whopping $6mill?

Franzen doesn't stick handle enough like he can, he should be dangling defenseman way more often, why'd we resign him?

In the end, you are complaining that our LEADING GOAL SCORER in the regular season, is not good enough for you defensively! YET every team in the NHL would take a player with his goal-scoring capabilities and his back-checking and defensive capabilities over about %90 of the fowards in the world. I mean, does this actually make sense in your own head?

And why are you even talking about the cap-hit next year? This whole post was about how Hossa hasn't been that good offensively thus far in the playoffs. What that has to do with getting him signed next year is beyond me. OH, but since you brought it up, we would have to come to a number of around $6million a year (with losing the likes of Huds and Sammy) for Hossa to resign. Maybe a little less, we'll say 5.75 million per year.

You're saying that Hossa, for $5.75 million per year, is a waste of space and assets? You keep your Huds and Sammy. But every other GM in the NHL will gladly take Hossa for anywhere even remotely around $6million. Oh, and to say that Hossa and Datsyuk have NO chemistry...

a big STFU on this one:

buuut... the tip pass from Hossa... he couldn't... even.... see datysuk?

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>&">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

I won't argue, Dats and Z have much more chemistry than Pav and Hossa. But it's funny that when Hossa and Pav were clicking everyone was loving every second of it. Now in the playoffs, they're not fully up to speed with each other and everyone complains. Some of you people should really be Blues fans. Bitter.... Well, you get it.

Than again, you clearly know everything about hockey! Bet you were a wonder kid, tearing up all those house leagues.. :rolleyes:

Uhhh, am I dealing with the same moron here? I'm just not sure but it seems as if this is a single person using two seperate accounts...

As for comparing Hossa defensively to Zetterberg and Datsyuk defensively... You're talking about arguably the 2 best defensive fowards in the game of hockey right now and you're complaining the Hossa isn't as good defensively as these two? No sh*t! The same could be said about every single forward in the game of hockey compared the Z and Dats.

Again, what is making you sound like a complete idiot, is that you're making out Hossa to be nothing but offense. A horrible defensive player in his own zone. This is just not the case!!! Again, since you think you're so brilliant, why do you think that everyone in the NHL has complemented Hossa for not only his great offensive play but for his great back-checking and defensive ability AS A FOWARD!!! Did you get that? His defensive play (taking it slow here for you) as A FOWARD. As in nobody expects this guy to be Zetterberg or Datsyuk. Nobody on this planet (except maybe you're dumb.... nevermind) expected Hossa to be a frigging Selke finalist. So WHY are you bringing this up?

Obviously, not every foward can play such great hockey defensively as Zetterberg or Dats. I mean, it's like if Ovechkin wanted to come win a Cup and signed with the Wings for a one year deal for $6 million and here you are complaining that he doesn't play as well defensively as Datsyuk.

It's almost like you're complaing just for the sake of complaining which is why I'm done responding to you. I mean, if you wanna start complaining about Hossa not being a Selke type of forward, why don't we just start ripping everyone apart!

Lidstrom doesn't check enough. He should be out there drilling people. All that and no checking for $7mill a year?

Zetterberg doesn't score enough, all he does is play stupid defensive hockey, and for a whopping $6mill?

Franzen doesn't stick handle enough like he can, he should be dangling defenseman way more often, why'd we resign him?

In the end, you are complaining that our LEADING GOAL SCORER in the regular season, is not good enough for you defensively! YET every team in the NHL would take a player with his goal-scoring capabilities and his back-checking and defensive capabilities over about %90 of the fowards in the world. I mean, does this actually make sense in your own head?

And why are you even talking about the cap-hit next year? This whole post was about how Hossa hasn't been that good offensively thus far in the playoffs. What that has to do with getting him signed next year is beyond me. OH, but since you brought it up, we would have to come to a number of around $6million a year (with losing the likes of Huds and Sammy) for Hossa to resign. Maybe a little less, we'll say 5.75 million per year.

You're saying that Hossa, for $5.75 million per year, is a waste of space and assets? You keep your Huds and Sammy. But every other GM in the NHL will gladly take Hossa for anywhere even remotely around $6million. Oh, and to say that Hossa and Datsyuk have NO chemistry...

a big STFU on this one:

buuut... the tip pass from Hossa... he couldn't... even.... see datysuk?

I won't argue, Dats and Z have much more chemistry than Pav and Hossa. But it's funny that when Hossa and Pav were clicking everyone was loving every second of it. Now in the playoffs, they're not fully up to speed with each other and everyone complains. Some of you people should really be Blues fans. Bitter.... Well, you get it.

Than again, you clearly know everything about hockey! Bet you were a wonder kid, tearing up all those house leagues.. :rolleyes:

Endless insults.. great debater.

The entire offseason after we signed Hossa all we ever heard about was how he was one of the best two way players in the game, in the mold of Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Its clearly not the case. Hes a great backchecker but in his own zone hes lost. In the offensive zone he has two options:

1. Shoot the puck

2. Hold onto the puck and lose it.

I find it laughable that you tack on the whole chemistry isssue at the end of your post like it doesn't matter. Hossa is the second highest paid player on this team. If he truly ever clicked with Datsyuk he would have scored 50+ goals.

The Wings best line this season, outside of the one game D-Z-H was together was the Cleary-Datsyuk-Franzen line. Datsyuk and Franzen have a natural chemistry. Franzen also has the same chemistry with Zetterberg.

Hossa played his best hockey on a line with Flip and Hudler because he could dictate the play.

If Hossa wasn't signed this year, Datsyuk and Zetterberg would have played together all season, Zetterberg would have hit 90 points easily and Datsyuk would be leading the team in playoff scoring.

Instead, Babcock has chosen to put Hossa, Datsyuk and Holmstrom together and load up his second line to provide offense.

Its a complete waste of Datsyuk's talent to be on the same line with Hossa.

As a matter of fact when they're paired together Datsyuk reverts to his pre-lockout style of holding the puck on the perimeter looking for an open Brett Hull and passing up taking a shot instead. Datsyuk needs a winger who doesn't just look to score on every play. That is why Zetterberg and Datsyuk compliment each other perfectly.

Cap decrease, $2 million

Hudler raise, $1.5-$2 million at the least.

Zetterberg raise, $4 million

Franzen raise, $1.5 million

---------------------------

$7.5-$9 million increase on team cap #

Its fiscally impossible to sign Hossa unless you move one or two of the following:

Hudler(RFA)

Kronwall

Lilja

Filippula

and one of

Stuart (NTC)

Cleary(NTC)

Rafalski(NTC)

Or you can just let Hossa walk, we'll have a little wiggle room under the cap and all of the salary increases wont be an issue because Hossa's $7.5 million cap hit comes off the books.

In reality, Hossa would have to sign for about $4 million per season for it not to involve losing two roster players.

Holland has already stated that the cap will go UP 2 million this year.

Endless insults.. great debater.

The entire offseason after we signed Hossa all we ever heard about was how he was one of the best two way players in the game, in the mold of Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Its clearly not the case. Hes a great backchecker but in his own zone hes lost. In the offensive zone he has two options:

1. Shoot the puck

2. Hold onto the puck and lose it.

I find it laughable that you tack on the whole chemistry isssue at the end of your post like it doesn't matter. Hossa is the second highest paid player on this team. If he truly ever clicked with Datsyuk he would have scored 50+ goals.

The Wings best line this season, outside of the one game D-Z-H was together was the Cleary-Datsyuk-Franzen line. Datsyuk and Franzen have a natural chemistry. Franzen also has the same chemistry with Zetterberg.

Hossa played his best hockey on a line with Flip and Hudler because he could dictate the play.

If Hossa wasn't signed this year, Datsyuk and Zetterberg would have played together all season, Zetterberg would have hit 90 points easily and Datsyuk would be leading the team in playoff scoring.

Instead, Babcock has chosen to put Hossa, Datsyuk and Holmstrom together and load up his second line to provide offense.

Its a complete waste of Datsyuk's talent to be on the same line with Hossa.

As a matter of fact when they're paired together Datsyuk reverts to his pre-lockout style of holding the puck on the perimeter looking for an open Brett Hull and passing up taking a shot instead. Datsyuk needs a winger who doesn't just look to score on every play. That is why Zetterberg and Datsyuk compliment each other perfectly.

Like I said, you're complaining for the sake of complaining. First it was his cap hit being too high. Then it was his defensive play wasn't as good as Pav and Hank (you still haven't even named a player who can score as many goals, yet is as good defensively as him) and then you start in about him not having the chemistry with Pav that Z does. If you just came out and said "I don't like the guy" it would be a lot easier than trying to nit-pick sh*t that doesn't even matter. Let alone, to top it off you start trying to make assumptions about how many points Pav and Z would have if they played together all season!!! Maybe if we loaded up 1 line they all would have been the top 3 scorers in the NHL... ohhhh, what ifs! They're so cool. Unfortunately they mean nothing...

What matters is that all anyone every talks about is how great of a fit Hossa is to this organization. I'm guessing you'll say "well of course they'll say that, they have to". Well no, they don't. Its been taken above and beyond and almost talked about TOO much and the players just keep throwing fuel on the fire complimenting this guy about how great of a fit he is into the organization.

Hossa is a perfect fit! Why? Because you won't find many other natural goal scorers like Hossa who are as good defensively as him. You can deny it in your little brain all you want. The guy was our leading goal scorer and still plays better defensively than majority of leading goal scorers on other NHL teams.

And like I said... that's really all that matters.

So until you find some logical to say, other than just trying to make him out to be some Ovechkin type of goal scorer who does ZERO back-checking, shut up! It's truthfully annoying. Honestly, if I had to guess, you were a bitter Pens fan who still held a personal grudge for him leaving Pittsburgh... If not, you need to find a new hobby my friend.

Oh, and you talk about Hossa scoring 50 goals like he only scored 10! The guy was hurt for like 8 or 9 games, and still put up a team best 40 goals. Truthfully, I'd say that's not too bad for a player in his first year as a Wing.

Hell, you've now inspired me to make a post on why Holmstrom isn't worth his cap hit because he plays on a line with Selke nominee Datsyuk and doesn't play well enough defensively. Why are we even paying Homer? The guy is horrible in his own zone! (idiot!)

Edited by This Is Bida

Holland has already stated that the cap will go UP 2 million this year.

And TSN said differently but if thats the case IF, than it doesn't change a thing. That is still $6.5 million added to the cap through various salary increases. You still need to move one or two players and pay for the players that replace them.

Hossa isn't a possibility, the wet dream needs to end.

Guest mindfly

If he really wants the cup that bad he sure needs to step it up and get on the score board no matter how good defensively etc he is.

Oh, and one last little thing... I can't help but find it a little funny that you just joined TODAY and 90% of your posts are about what a horrible player Hossa is. You're the epitome of why real knowledable hockey fans HATE going to bars and Wings games to actually watch the game because we have to listen to people like you behind us in our ear all the time pretending like you actually know what the hell you're talking about. You are the complete definition of someone who never once played or understood the game of hockey but just wants SO bad to be a fan.

As for the debate about the cap hit... where are you getting this number of 6.5? Is that what he's asking to be signed for? Cause it's already been stated by him and Holland (and anyone with half a brain) that he would have to be closer to $6million to stay with the Wings. You're probably one of them smart people who thought Zetterberg would be the first Wing to have a higher cap hit then Lidstrom too, huh?

Edited by This Is Bida

Like I said, you're complaining for the sake of complaining. First it was his cap hit being too high. Then it was his defensive play wasn't as good as Pav and Hank (you still haven't even named a player who can score as many goals, yet is as good defensively as him) and then you start in about him not having the chemistry with Pav that Z does. If you just came out and said "I don't like the guy" it would be a lot easier than trying to nit-pick sh*t that doesn't even matter. Let alone, to top it off you start trying to make assumptions about how many points Pav and Z would have if they played together all season!!! Maybe if we loaded up 1 line they all would have been the top 3 scorers in the NHL... ohhhh, what ifs! They're so cool. Unfortunately they mean nothing...

What matters is that all anyone every talks about is how great of a fit Hossa is to this organization. I'm guessing you'll say "well of course they'll say that, they have to". Well no, they don't. Its been taken above and beyond and almost talked about TOO much and the players just keep throwing fuel on the fire complimenting this guy about how great of a fit he is into the organization.

Hossa is a perfect fit! Why? Because you won't find many other natural goal scorers like Hossa who are as good defensively as him. You can deny it in your little brain all you want. The guy was our leading goal scorer and still plays better defensively than majority of leading goal scorers on other NHL teams.

And like I said... that's really all that matters.

So until you find some logical to say, other than just trying to make him out to be some Ovechkin type of goal scorer who does ZERO back-checking, shut up! It's truthfully annoying. Honestly, if I had to guess, you were a bitter Pens fan who still held a personal grudge for him leaving Pittsburgh... If not, you need to find a new hobby my friend.

If you had to guess, you would be wrong, I have already displayed more knowledge about this team in a single topic than you have.

Hossa led this team in scoring and Franzen was second, scoring 6 less goals for about five million less.

And coming in here and saying "I don't like Hossa" is pointless and trollish, im backing up my claim with logical points that you can't comprehend apparently. I guess if all you look at is the statsheet your argument applies.

Datsyuk and Hossa play completely different styles as a matter of fact during most games they look terrible together. They rarely sustain any pressure in the offensive zone, they get most of their chances on the fast break.

The only reason Datsyuk and Hossa are paired is because they're slightly better together than Hossa and Zetterberg.

It doesn't work, it was a nice signing and a great addition to an already stacked lineup but Hossa doesn't fit with either of our top two centers. The only way to make it work would be playing him on the third line with a guy like Flip and Hudler, which would never happen.

Players and Management saying that he "Fits the team" is simple. The guy turned down a lot of money to play here, hes a friendly guy in the locker room and he has produced. That doesn't mean that hes worth losing Flip and Hudler over.

Most rational fans value team depth over any single player.

And its not a wild assumption to say that Zetterberg, paired with Datsyuk, is capable of 90 points. He did it last season, he hit 87 points WITHOUT Datsyuk in 2006. Datsyuk and Zetterberg were both negatively effected by Hossa on their lines this season, although Datsyuk still kept on scoring(Which is why he was nominated for a Hart), Zetterberg on the other hand was brutal with Hossa.

Putting way too much value into one player.

Oh, and one last little thing... I can't help but find it a little funny that you just joined TODAY and 90% of your posts are about what a horrible player Hossa is. You're the epitome of why real knowledable hockey fans HATE going to bars and Wings games to actually watch the game because we have to listen to people like you behind us in our ear all the time pretending like you actually know what the hell you're talking about. You are the complete definition of someone who never once played or understood the game of hockey but just wants SO bad to be a fan.

Ive been on this messageboard since its inception...

Ive played hockey my entire life...

Ive followed this team since 1994

Oh wait.

If you had to guess, you would be wrong, I have already displayed more knowledge about this team in a single topic than you have.

Hossa led this team in scoring and Franzen was second, scoring 6 less goals for about five million less.

And coming in here and saying "I don't like Hossa" is pointless and trollish, im backing up my claim with logical points that you can't comprehend apparently. I guess if all you look at is the statsheet your argument applies.

Datsyuk and Hossa play completely different styles as a matter of fact during most games they look terrible together. They rarely sustain any pressure in the offensive zone, they get most of their chances on the fast break.

The only reason Datsyuk and Hossa are paired is because they're slightly better together than Hossa and Zetterberg.

It doesn't work, it was a nice signing and a great addition to an already stacked lineup but Hossa doesn't fit with either of our top two centers. The only way to make it work would be playing him on the third line with a guy like Flip and Hudler, which would never happen.

Players and Management saying that he "Fits the team" is simple. The guy turned down a lot of money to play here, hes a friendly guy in the locker room and he has produced. That doesn't mean that hes worth losing Flip and Hudler over.

Most rational fans value team depth over any single player.

And its not a wild assumption to say that Zetterberg, paired with Datsyuk, is capable of 90 points. He did it last season, he hit 87 points WITHOUT Datsyuk in 2006. Datsyuk and Zetterberg were both negatively effected by Hossa on their lines this season, although Datsyuk still kept on scoring(Which is why he was nominated for a Hart), Zetterberg on the other hand was brutal with Hossa.

Putting way too much value into one player.

It's official, you're a close minded idiot, I'm done trying to be rational with you. I have no problem agreeing to disagree but you just only see your one side of it. If you really can say that Hossa is "too much value in one player" at only about $5.75 million, you're just dillusional.

No need to respond, I'm going to bed and won't be back to check this topic... Unless you just feel like working yourself up again.