• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
swordfish

Lidstrom appreciation thread

Rate this topic

I was looking over Nicklas Lidstrom's career, and with everything he's done, it's hard for me to pick out what is most impressive. Here is a list of some of them:

• Lidstrom has played in 1330 of 1362 (nearly 98%) regular season games since entering the league
  • Lidstrom has played in all 219 playoff games and has the Wings have never missed the playoffs while he was on the team
  • Lidstrom has his name on 4 Stanley Cups
  • Lidstrom has won the Conn Smythe Trophy
  • Lidstrom has been selected to 11 All-Star games
  • Lidstrom's career +/- is 409 in the regular season and +40 in the playoffs
  • Lidstrom has an Olympic gold medal and a World Championship gold medal

And I didn't even touch his goals and assists! Feel free to add others I have missed!

What do you think his most impressive feat is?

An incredible shot at the blueline.

I think he is the main reason Detroit is dominant in the PP for 15 years.

Add elite defensive abilities and you maybe have the best defenseman in the history of the sport.

I'm not sure I'd be able to call him the best ever, because as great as he is, he hasn't revolutionised the position as much as (blah blah blah we've all heard it before...).

Other ones worth mentioning are perhaps first European-born captain to win Stanley Cup, and the first European-born player to win the Conn Smythe, and the first European-born player to win the Norris..

Incredibly well-rounded defenseman in that he's top of the league (not speaking statisically) in terms of defensive and offensive play (not physical, but he doesn't need to throw a hit when he can lift sticks, steal, position himself etc.).

Off the wall, but I think his greatest feat is that he's accomplished all of these things, won all of those awards, has been admired on two continents and still carries himself with grace and humility, without letting it all go to his head.

Oh, yeah, and he's hot.

Edited by 55fan

What do you think his most impressive feat is?

winning the stanley cup as his only second year as a captain.

Lidstrom is top5 dman ever in NHL for sure. Such amazing player.

Personally, I think it's being named Captain of the Detroit Red Wings... he's the successor to Yzerman... you don't think that'd be a huge feat to accomplish??? It means that it recognizes all of his accomplishments in one swoop.

He's just amazing. I'm so proud that he's our Captain. He's Captain Clutch!!!! :)

Lidstrom's most impressive feat is simple. It's being Lidstrom.

He's a Steve Yzerman protege. One of the most respected players in the NHL - even by other players. There's nothing about him that doesn't impress me. His quiet leadership, his astounding humbleness, his ridiculous skill and talent.

There's nothing about Nicklas Lidstrom that isn't impressive.. and frankly, nothing that any other player in the league shouldn't try to mimic.

....That's it, now I really despise Perry.

20090501223405_2009-0501-jg-DetAna-1072s.JPG

I saw that last night while I was at the bar with my dad and I got SO angry that I started ranting things like "How DARE he lay a glove on Lids! What the hell?!"

He ended up buying me a shot of Hot Damn to get me to shut up. :P

....That's it, now I really despise Perry.

20090501223405_2009-0501-jg-DetAna-1072s.JPG

Fairy's getting more gutsy, there's not even a ref between him for cover this time!

I'm sure I remember watching this and getting quite irritated, because I think Franzén (or whoever isn't in the picture) had pushed Fairy, and he retaliated by pushing Lidström.

He's also scored an Olympic gold medal winning goal. It's not his most impressive feat, but it's still awesome.

That goal is up there with Steve Y's OT goal against the Blues as the most beautiful slapshot goals in history.

I'm sure I remember watching this and getting quite irritated, because I think Franzén (or whoever isn't in the picture) had pushed Fairy, and he retaliated by pushing Lidström.

it was Ericsson after the glove by Perry Ericsson beat his ass.

he is Mr. -DETROIT REDWING-. his talent and his feel for the game are amazing. and just incase anyone was doubting on him. he backed it up with last nights game!

thank you sir . lid!

I saw that last night while I was at the bar with my dad and I got SO angry that I started ranting things like "How DARE he lay a glove on Lids! What the hell?!"

He ended up buying me a shot of Hot Damn to get me to shut up. :P

:lol: :lol: If that's your dad's way of shutting up loud mouths he would go broke watching a hockey game with me.

What impresses me about Lids is you just don't really notice him. he goes out and does what he does w/o the chest thumping/twirling act. What you do know is that most times when he's out there you are safe.

I think it's his amount of games that he's been able to play and of course being the first person to do something in a league that is nearly 100 years old is one hell of an accomplishment so I would say first European captain winning the cup, also the first European captain to win 2 straight cups <_<