• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ozzie30

No Suspension for Brown

Rate this topic

I'm not happy with that decision obviously. I hope Hudler isn't seriously hurt. More reasons to kill the ducks in this series I guess, it better be big wings victory tomorrow!

GO WINGS!!!

Justice will have to be served by another means...

I didn't feel like I felt when they knocked Hudler down since the Avs rivalry days.

Edited by The Nephilim

I'm not suprised he didn't get suspended just like last year when Ribero took his stick and smacked osgood with it and didn't get suspended i guess you have to murder a red wing to get a suspension

I'm not suprised he didn't get suspended just like last year when Ribero took his stick and smacked osgood with it and didn't get suspended i guess you have to murder a red wing to get a suspension

Rebiero didn't exactly wail on Osgood last year. First instinct, i thought he should be gone for the playoffs. After seeing what osgood did and realizing Rebiero hit him rather softly in the chest protector, i wasn't angry at all to see him escape that one. Osgood did a bit of acting, you know he didn't feel a thing.

The hit last night was different obviously. Again though, at first sight I saw it as extremely dirty, but after seeing it again, i really didn't find it to be too bad (at least not as bad as some of us). It's unfortunate Hudler got cut, but i think the 5 and a game fit the punishment.

Edited by Dano33

Or maybe it's that Bettman has specifically called the Pittsburgh Penguins the model franchise of the league - even though it's Detroit who gets the players to sign for less. It's Detroit that every player touts as the "dream team to play for". It's Detroit that the Ducks coach got fired over for saying it'd be a dream to coach this team. It's Detroit that draws in viewers. It's Detroit that has the longest current consecutive playoff streak of any team in any major sport. ...But Pittsburgh is the model franchise?

How many TV commercials have you seen - not on local Detroit tv, but about the NHL in general - where Detroit is beating Pittsburgh in the SCF last year? Now compare that to the TV commercials where Pittsburgh is beating US.. and you have your answer.

The league doesn't like that Detroit has been so dominant for so long.. and that's really all there is to it. Why? Because it makes it that much harder for other teams in terms of competing. They just don't think it's good for the sport. And you can bet your bottom dollar whomever the next dynasty may be will run into the exact same things.

So yes, there is DEFINITE bias against the Red Wings.

:thumbup: very well said!!!! :thumbup:

I have a good feeling this will just help motivate the Red Wings even more!!! :)

Rebiero didn't exactly wail on Osgood last year. First instinct, i thought he should be gone for the playoffs. After seeing what osgood did and realizing Rebiero hit him rather softly in the chest protector, i wasn't angry at all to see him escape that one. Osgood did a bit of acting, you know he didn't feel a thing.

The hit last night was different obviously. Again though, at first sight I saw it as extremely dirty, but after seeing it again, i really didn't find it to be too bad (at least not as bad as some of us). It's unfortunate Hudler got cut, but i think the 5 and a game fit the punishment.

The problem i have with ribero all the same is that he used his stick as a weapon and even if osgood dived which he well might have, it shouldn't be ok to hit osgood (who has extra goalie protection padding) or any player with a stick, when ribero is trying to use it as a weapon whether it hurt him or not intent was still the same he swung his stick to try and hit and possibly injure a player, and that elbow on hudler was late

Edited by redwings4life

I agree with no suspension, at first I was angry about the hit, but its not as bad as Brashears one. The hit wasn't late and Hudler got caught admiring his pass. If Kronwall did this hit we'd all be cheering about it.

:siren::siren::siren:

Zactly.

:thumbup: very well said!!!! :thumbup:

I have a good feeling this will just help motivate the Red Wings even more!!! :)

I don't agree with the conspiracy theories but I sure do like your avatar!

From a business standpoint, why would the league promote the Red Wings? The Red Wing Market is already world wide. They have a huge fan base and sell more mechandise than and fill more seats when visiting other arenas than nearly everyone else. Put the money into promoting other teams. Remember, it is a business.

I don't agree with the conspiracy theories but I sure do like your avatar!

From a business standpoint, why would the league promote the Red Wings? The Red Wing Market is already world wide. They have a huge fan base and sell more mechandise than and fill more seats when visiting other arenas than nearly everyone else. Put the money into promoting other teams. Remember, it is a business.

That's really what I was trying to get at. I'm sure they don't think it's good for any sport to have one team dominating the league for so long. It could potentially turn viewers off with thoughts of "What's the point? Wings are gonna win anyway. No contest."

I understand your point of view, but it could also be applied to bias against the Wings, if you get what I mean.

Edited by Ms_Hockey

The problem i have with ribero all the same is that he used his stick as a weapon and even if osgood dived which he well might have, it shouldn't be ok to hit osgood (who has extra goalie protection padding) or any player with a stick, when ribero is trying to use it as a weapon whether it hurt him or not intent was still the same he swung his stick to try and hit and possibly injure a player, and that elbow on hudler was late

If Rebiero does that during the game he gets a two minute penalty for slashing. Also, i agree the hit on Hudler was late, and they got it right by sending Brown to the locker room for the night.

If Rebiero does that during the game he gets a two minute penalty for slashing. Also, i agree the hit on Hudler was late, and they got it right by sending Brown to the locker room for the night.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the ribero slash, i think brown should of gotten at least 1 game if not 2. regardless if hudler comes back, the NHL is supposedly taking this big stance on no hits to the head, but i guess they should say as long as the player who is hit in the head comes back its ok to go headhunting

Edited by redwings4life

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the ribero slash, i think brown should of gotten at least 1 game if not 2. regardless if hudler comes back, the NHL is supposedly taking this big stance on no hits to the head, but i guess they should say as long as the player who is hit in the head comes back its ok to go headhunting

I honestly expected to see Brown get a game or two, due to the amount of suspensions they have handed out already, but at the time i wasn't going to complain if he didn't.

I think that while Brown's hit was a very late hit he got what he deserved with the penalties after the play. I was glad to see Hudler playing after that hit too. As for whether the league shortchanges the Wings, I wouldn't think so. I feel like fans for every team thinks the league is against them. I think fans of each team could make a list of reasons they think they have been wronged in the past. Every team has gets the short end sometimes. As for the Ribeiro thing I won't even get into that, it was a year ago.

i guess you have to murder a red wing to get a suspension

More or less. The NHL has long established it's policy that open season on the Detroit Red Wings is perfectly fine in their eyes, and as long as those two idiots running the league are still on the job, it's not going to change. As much as it sucks because we are fans of this team, it's really nothing new, and something we should be used to by now. Like I said on another forum...it's just tiring, knowing this is coming every time.

id say at least one game would be fair because Hudler should have been more aware of what was going on we are playing the ducks after all and we and the players know the ducks like to hit ppl so Hudler should have been more careful

I do agree had it been Crosby sadly he would have been severely punished i do also agree that just b/c a player comes back shouldnt lessen the forthcoming suspension

The timing of the hit is borderline, was he trying to hurt hudler i dont think so. Should Brown had been more careful yes. What i think did brown in was the blood i think at some point Browns stick may have caught Huds accidentally and i think that may have been what the ref that was standing on the blue right by them may have seen was the stick coming up under Huds visor and cutting him

Also Brashears hit was worse he went out if his way to hit Betts

Interesting to see the Ducks coach manages to represent the majority of their fan base. I can't believe how many of their fans are "surprised" that the NHL didn't side with the Wings. I guess being the most popular team in America makes you some enemies.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Campbell is a dick. So Brashear gets kicked out for 5 games, but the freaking Ducks can get away with the same sh&t. Bettman really does have it in for the Red Wings, that &^%#

Now we're comparing Brashear's hit to Brown's hit? Wow. I went to the Ducks board and just laughed at the ridiculous, whiny drivel over there. But then I came back here and started reading some of these threads and realized we have just as many idiotic fans as every other team.

In my opinion there was nothing wrong with that hit. Anybody remember Scott Stevens exploding Paul Kariya? That hit was far later than the one Brown through.

And these claims that Brown hit him with the butt end of his stick or hit him with his elbow out or yadda, yadda.....quit yer whining people.

If the league is making a real attempt at eliminating the predatory kind of hits where you catch an unsuspecting player with his head down, then by all means they should make a call like they did.

However, this is so new to the game. IMO, as long as I have been playing hockey, that's just finishing off a lazy player who has his head down and is admiring his pass instead of paying attention to his surroundings.

IMO, if they hadn't called anything I wouldn't have bitched at all. I can totally see why Ducks fans are irate. It could've gone either way. It was a controversial call that much is obvious, just look at all the discussion. This wasn't McSorely cracking Brashear over the head. This was a hard, vicious hit that years ago would be totally clean. Heck, I still think its clean. I don't even think it was really late either.

That hit could've not been called a penalty at all. Fortunately for us not only did they call it a penalty, they called it a major. We got a 5 minute PP out of it and the Ducks lost a man. We should be thankful we got that big of a call on that play.

So please stop the fecking whining because Brown wasn't suspended. Jesus Christ, why don't we just get pissy because they don't ban Brown from hockey for life. Get some perspective people.

Now we're comparing Brashear's hit to Brown's hit? Wow. I went to the Ducks board and just laughed at the ridiculous, whiny drivel over there. But then I came back here and started reading some of these threads and realized we have just as many idiotic fans as every other team.

In my opinion there was nothing wrong with that hit. Anybody remember Scott Stevens exploding Paul Kariya? That hit was far later than the one Brown through.

And these claims that Brown hit him with the butt end of his stick or hit him with his elbow out or yadda, yadda.....quit yer whining people.

If the league is making a real attempt at eliminating the predatory kind of hits where you catch an unsuspecting player with his head down, then by all means they should make a call like they did.

However, this is so new to the game. IMO, as long as I have been playing hockey, that's just finishing off a lazy player who has his head down and is admiring his pass instead of paying attention to his surroundings.

IMO, if they hadn't called anything I wouldn't have bitched at all. I can totally see why Ducks fans are irate. It could've gone either way. It was a controversial call that much is obvious, just look at all the discussion. This wasn't McSorely cracking Brashear over the head. This was a hard, vicious hit that years ago would be totally clean. Heck, I still think its clean. I don't even think it was really late either.

That hit could've not been called a penalty at all. Fortunately for us not only did they call it a penalty, they called it a major. We got a 5 minute PP out of it and the Ducks lost a man. We should be thankful we got that big of a call on that play.

So please stop the fecking whining because Brown wasn't suspended. Jesus Christ, why don't we just get pissy because they don't ban Brown from hockey for life. Get some perspective people.

You see the hit as clean because you have absolutely no sense of time. The Brown hit was later and the puck was exponentially further away.

And any references to "clean" hits from days gone by are pointless. The league, at the urging of the players, are trying to remove these types of hits from the game. They sent out a memo to every team stating that blowing up the head of a vulnerable player is no longer fair game. They then suspended Brashear for 5. But then went stupid and ignored Perry and Eager and suddenly there's not standard again. Had Brashear not been suspended for 5 I would have been suprised if Brown would have seen a 1 maybe 2 game suspension as he'd already gotten tossed fairly early in game 1 (that's the reason Pronger got the boot in '07 because he got nothing in the game). But that Brashear suspension, as well as others over the last couple years, leaves you wondering about just what the f*** the league has going through their head if anything at all.

As someone mentioned on a different forum, this play made Colin spin the wheel of justice and it ended up with a pass.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
You see the hit as clean because you have absolutely no sense of time. The Brown hit was later and the puck was exponentially further away.

And any references to "clean" hits from days gone by are pointless. The league, at the urging of the players, are trying to remove these types of hits from the game. They sent out a memo to every team stating that blowing up the head of a vulnerable player is no longer fair game. They then suspended Brashear for 5. But then went stupid and ignored Perry and Eager and suddenly there's not standard again. Had Brashear not been suspended for 5 I would have been suprised if Brown would have seen a 1 maybe 2 game suspension as he'd already gotten tossed fairly early in game 1 (that's the reason Pronger got the boot in '07 because he got nothing in the game). But that Brashear suspension, as well as others over the last couple years, leaves you wondering about just what the f*** the league has going through their head if anything at all.

As someone mentioned on a different forum, this play made Colin spin the wheel of justice and it ended up with a pass.

What constitutes a late hit? Didn't seem to me like more than 1 second ticked off the clock in real time. I don't think that's late.

As for how far the puck was away from the play, I don't know that it matters. You could have an even later hit with a puck not as far away depending upon the velocity of the initial pass so to me where the puck was doesn't really matter. It's a question of elapsed time from the passing of the puck to the contact. If somebody has stop watched it please let me know what it was. Looked to be about 1 second.

I totally understand your comments on what the league/players are trying to engineer out of the game. I just am not sure I agree with it. How far do we go with this? How do even police it? Does it make the hit Brian Campbell threw on Umberger now an illegal hit? Does it make the hit that Stuart threw on Umberger now an illegal hit?

It used to be you skated with your head up and sometimes somebody got blown up. You live and learn. Now it seems that the league wants to rid itself of something that IMO you can't police effectively and takes something normal away from the game. What are players to do now? Decide not to hit altoghether if the player's head is down? Who's responsible for your head? You? or the guy trying to hit you? I just don't know how the league is going to do this.

And your examples are proof that the league still doesn't know how or what to do about this.

I understand what the league is trying to do. I don't necessarily think its feasible or even the right thing to do. Am I a purist or a dinosaur in my thinking? Could be.

The bottom line for me is that I don't think the hit was late nor do I think it was dirty. Was it one of those hits the league is trying to eradicate? Apparently yes. It still doesn't make it late or dirty in my mind. How can it be? The league hasn't even established or enforced a real standard yet.

I think the 5 min major and game was a blessing for us. Could've merely been an interference or roughing call IMHO.

I'm glad he didn't get suspended. Comparing the Brashear hit to this one is folly IMO. They are only superficially related.

I hope the league figures it out. But in my mind Huddles should keep his head up and I understand why some Ducks fans are losing their s***.

I wouldn't like that call if it was Kronwall drilling Selanne for example.

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

I understand what the league is trying to do. I don't necessarily think its feasible or even the right thing to do. Am I a purist or a dinosaur in my thinking? Could be.

The bottom line for me is that I don't think the hit was late nor do I think it was dirty. Was it one of those hits the league is trying to eradicate? Apparently yes. It still doesn't make it late or dirty in my mind. How can it be? The league hasn't even established or enforced a real standard yet.

Bobby Orr even said that hits like that have no place in hockey.

"I don't want to see hitting taken out of the game, I love hitting in hockey," Orr told TSN, "but if someone puts his shoulder into a player's face, if he puts anything -- an arm, an elbow, a glove -- I think that player should get a penalty. Definitely, it should be a penalty. We are having players getting knocked unconscious before they even hit the ice and carried off on stretchers. How can that be legal? When did hitting someone in the head with your shoulder or any part of your body become part of the rules? Anything above the neck, it's wrong.

"Hey, I got hit a lot when I played and I didn't get hit in the head with checks," said Orr, the legendary defenceman who is now the head of his own player representation firm. "Players didn't always hit like that. To me, that's not part of bodychecking. I mean, don't you have to be responsible for your actions? If you hit a guy in the face with your stick by accident, you're going to get a penalty. Two minutes, four minutes, five minutes, something. If you go to bodycheck a guy and you hit him in the face or head, and injure him, that's legal? That's fair? That's not a penalty? I'm sorry, I don't think that is right. It should be a penalty."

You're not a 'dinosaur' for wanting to keep brutal hits that potentially end player's careers in hockey--you're and idiot for wanting that.

Hitting someone in the head is something that shows a lack of respect, and/or a lack of control. Both are needed for the player lining up opposite you and yourself, respectively.

I noted in the other thread about Brown's hit that I've been playing hockey for almost 20 years now, and that kind of check is dirty no matter how you look at it. Brown was obviously either out of control, or going for Hudler's head. A hip check would have taken him out of the play just as well, and been a lot less dangerous, on top of being a higher percentage play in open ice at that speed.

The thing that really irks me, though, is that Brown was skating up ice and veered towards Hudler to put that check on him, knowing full-well that Hudler wasn't aware of him.

Generally you don't hit a guy when he has no clue where you are. That's a good way to end a player's career, especially when you put a shoulder, elbow, arm, whatever, into his head at that speed.