• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Downey Elbows Opposing Goalie In AHL Playoffs

Rate this topic

This would be a strike against the case for Downey being an enforcer for the Wings.

With 6:08 left in the second, the series jumped to the mean stage when Griffins forward Aaron Downey picked his spot to make a statement. Long after a whistle stopped play for a Schneider save, Downey followed to the net, at least 30 feet, and blasted the goalie in the head with his left elbow.

The intent was clear but referee David Banfield wimped out by not assessing the match penalty -- instead opting for five minutes for charging -- and Downey returned to the game in the third period. The outrageous blow to the head followed one check that might have infuriated Downey. His teammate, Brian Lashoff, was wobbled by Moose winger Pierre-Cedric Labrie, who finished his check in the offensive zone.

"Obviously, you saw what happened," said Moose head coach Scott Arniel. "Our goalie got run into five times and one of them was real serious. The Downey one was a clear-cut attempt to hurt Schneider. It's a bush league move by them but whatever. We were more concerned about winning the hockey game. You don't want to drop yourself to that level and do the same thing back the other way, but our guys were getting frustrated by it. In the bigger picture, we had to win this game."

Schneider was as shocked as anybody by the hit.

"That was pretty unbelievable," said Schneider. "I had just made the save and was kind of looking down and wasn't expecting anything and I just got hit pretty good. Fortunately I didn't hit my head on the crossbar or anything and came away unscathed. I saw turn out of the corner of my eye but I never thought he'd come and lay a shoulder into me. I don't think I could have embellished that if I tried. He got me pretty good."

You can be sure the Moose will be sending in video evidence to AHL disciplinarian Jim Mill in hopes of seeing some supplemental discipline handed out.

MLive- Snapshots

Edited by Mike

source of the link shows some bias. I mean it's completly possible Downey did that but it doesn't sound like his actions. They also make it sound like the "moose" were just plain victims, it's possible but if theres no youtube.......

This would be a strike against the case for Downey being an enforcer for the Wings.

Yeh because of all the times he put the team on the PK whilst he played for Detroit the last two season :rolleyes:

Yeh because of all the times he put the team on the PK whilst he played for Detroit the last two season :rolleyes:

2007-2008: GP- 56 PIM- 116

Downey was the team leader in PIM with Lilja being 2nd with 93 PIM but Lilja played in 23 more games. Downey averaged just slightly over 2 penalties per game that he played in (116/56). I'd say he is prone to putting the team on the PK.

This season is a moot point because he only played in 4 games but he did log 7 PIM if anyone wondered.

ohhhh but when avrey does it its the end of the world. we get a thread that goes 50 pages of how we don't want him on the team and he's a cancer to the nhl. hahahaha i'll be interested to see what the avrey haters say about this one. and i know who you are.

QFT. Threads go on for 20 or more pages about how Downey should be on the team but when he does something like this no one comments on the subject.

Downey was the team leader in PIM with Lilja being 2nd with 93 PIM but Lilja played in 23 more games. Downey averaged just slightly over 2 penalties per game that he played in (116/56). I'd say he is prone to putting the team on the PK.

This season is a moot point because he only played in 4 games but he did log 7 PIM if anyone wondered.

Downey also had 10 NHL fights that year...thats 50 minutes of penalties right there that don't put us on the PK...I don't recall him putting us down a man all that often...I guess I could be wrong though, my glasses are a bit Detroit colored...

I have to admit that the article did seem a bit biased and actually checked the source as I was about half way through it to see who's version of the story I was getting...not saying he didn't do it...just would like to see a video before I write him off as the second coming of Sean Avery...

Guest Shoreline

*shrugs*

Unless the Wings lose a handful of forwards, GR is Downey's home for the foreseeable future anyways. I'd be glad not to have such a selfish player who would (apparently) run opposing goaltenders and, if he were so valuable to the team, get himself suspended. That's an issue of maturity and it's acts like this (assuming it's true from what I've read, and that's taking with a grain of salt the very slanted Winnipeg articles) are why I'm glad he's not up with the Wings.

Downey also had 10 NHL fights that year...thats 50 minutes of penalties right there that don't put us on the PK...I don't recall him putting us down a man all that often...I guess I could be wrong though, my glasses are a bit Detroit colored...

I have to admit that the article did seem a bit biased and actually checked the source as I was about half way through it to see who's version of the story I was getting...not saying he didn't do it...just would like to see a video before I write him off as the second coming of Sean Avery...

I checked the Griffins' website and it briefly mentions the incident and says nothing on it. That makes me think that it was intentional and not some sort of accident. That and I do not think MLive would have posted the story if it wasn't true.

...Aaron Downey ran over Schneider on the other end, knocking off the netminder’s helmet and drawing a five-minute major.

GRG

*shrugs*

Unless the Wings lose a handful of forwards, GR is Downey's home for the foreseeable future anyways. I'd be glad not to have such a selfish player who would (apparently) run opposing goaltenders and, if he were so valuable to the team, get himself suspended. That's an issue of maturity and it's acts like this (assuming it's true from what I've read, and that's taking with a grain of salt the very slanted Winnipeg articles) are why I'm glad he's not up with the Wings.

My biggest problem with Downey is his skating ability. He would by far be the worst skater on the team if he were playing for the Wings. For a team that relies on puck possesion, a weak skater can be costly.

Wow, if this was a non-wing who did this everyone would be up in arms and calling for his head. Downey does not deserve to be on the team if this report is actually true, completely uncalled for and not something tolerated in the Wings' system.

Just FYI fights don't put a team on the PK...it takes two to tango. 50 of Downey's penalty minutes were fights. Lilja on the other hand had 15 minutes in fighting majors out of his 93 total minutes. Downey was never a liability in the way you're implying, good try though ^^

http://www.moosehockey.com/moosetv.php?video=374

Video: Highlights from game 2...Downey incident @ ~2:23

Looks like he skated through the crease from the corner and layed a hit on Schneider...definitely unnecessary and a bit Avery-esque...

Even Avery wouldn't have done something like that. What Avery does is harmless, I can't recall a time right now where he tried to injure someone on purpose.

Just FYI fights don't put a team on the PK...it takes two to tango. 50 of Downey's penalty minutes were fights. Lilja on the other hand had 15 minutes in fighting majors out of his 93 total minutes. Downey was never a liability in the way you're implying, good try though ^^

Yeah, I do know the rules of hockey and realize 5 for fighting is off setting. 4-on-4 play can be just as dangerous as a 5-on-4 PP because of the open ice. Plus, some of those fighting majors could have be accompanied by 2 minute minors for roughing, etc.

I am so proud of Aaron right now. :)

Wish you were playing in today's game instead of that scrub who wears number 82.

QFT. If Downey got in 1 fight today he'd have accomplished more than Kopecky has during this entire playoff run.

That wasn't intentional.. i guarentee it.

He was skating with momentum, he made a quick turn, 2 d-men moved in close to him. It looked bad, but it wasn't much of anything.. Bummed that Kolo was acting like a punk just letting that guy jab him in his grill over and over