• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

The Wings' Pathetic Overtime Record

Rate this topic

As of 2001, the Wings are 6-15 in OT playoff games, which means we're not even winning 1 out of every 3 games.

It seems like in these games we keep getting scoring chances, but only wind up padding the other goalie's stats, and then wind up losing anyway. This is a recurring, annoying theme, especially against the Ducks, who we've lost our last 5 OT games to.

So what the hell is the deal with such a record? Is there something we need to do differently in these games (other than score)? Do our players try to play too cute?

we need todo is not have threads like these, focus on the good of the game and bounce back and blow the opposing team away next game

we need todo is not have threads like these, focus on the good of the game and bounce back and blow the opposing team away next game

This thread is not just about this game, it's about how the Wings have struggled in the playoffs in OT in the last decade or so.

I was hoping some posters here would have input as to whether there's some strategic reason for this record, or is it just hot goaltending for the other team?

I think it's a valid question to ask, when you can't even win 1 out of every 3 games that go to OT.

osgood shoulda had that one. that's why we lost

Yeah, damn him for not giving freaking Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hossa, and Franzen 40 minutes to get one by Hilller.

...oh wait.

Best offensive team, we score 3 or 4 goals per game regularly, but if it goes to OT we NEVER score. I don't understand it.

Yeah, damn him for not giving freaking Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hossa, and Franzen 40 minutes to get one by Hilller.

...oh wait.

Best offensive team, we score 3 or 4 goals per game regularly, but if it goes to OT we NEVER score. I don't understand it.

Exactly.

I want to see one of our players rip a shot like that in OT, instead of making the other goalie look famous like we did against Giguere in 2003.

It all comes down to who makes the mistake, and it always seems to be us. In this case it was Datsyuk (or Kronwall) who bit on a play at the blue line and gave Marchant an open shooting lane.

For such an experienced team, we shouldn't be the ones that usually make mistakes in these overtimes. It might even be a mental thing.

Even though I don't blame Ozzie, it seems like our goalies are always the ones who get outplayed in these OT's also. Say what you want, but Hiller outplayed Ozzie and made more saves than he did.

It can't be explained. We don't really play any differently. It just seems to be in playoff hockey that whoever controls the play in OT will lose the game.

Whenever we go to OT, I've come to expect a loss. I am not the least bit surprised that we lost in OT today and honestly it has made the loss a bit easier to swallow.

Can't blame Ozzy for this one. The coaching staff needs to change up things. The Wings are completely incapable in shutting down Getzlaf, it's pretty embarassing actually. The Dats-Hossa-Homer line not only isn't getting points, they are playing bad defensively as well. Hossa isn't looking good defensively either.

It's just one game, but if Anaheim takes Game 3, the Wings will be in a heap of trouble. Stick Franzen back up with Datysuk. Franzen and Hossa shoot a lot, but Hossa takes too many impossible shoots from the top of the circle, while Franzen is much better at getting to the net and getting his chances closer to Hiller.

Everything is clicking, 4th, 3rd and 2nd lines playing great, the D as a whole is nearly perfect, Ozzy is on his game, but Hossa and Dats isn't working. Either Hossa needs to pass more and let Dats shoot, or just split up the line.

The fact is, if a game lasts longer then a single OT, it's the forwards fault for not finishing it off. Not Ozzies fault whats so ever.

Edited by TheOwl

It can't be explained. We don't really play any differently. It just seems to be in playoff hockey that whoever controls the play in OT will lose the game.

Whenever we go to OT, I've come to expect a loss. I am not the least bit surprised that we lost in OT today and honestly it has made the loss a bit easier to swallow.

I guess from now on we need to let the other team control the play in OT's, and let our 4th liners have one lucky shift which happens to be the one they score on.

I had a feeling in this game that Chelli would have scored if Babcock had played him in the OT.

I think another valid point is that too many guys try to be unselfish in OT's, when the best bet is always to shoot the puck.

The Wings love to put pucks on net during regulation, but it seems like in OT, they try to make the extra pass in certain situations where it would be better to shoot.

I can't think of a lot of Wings OT games in the last few years, but the end of some of them stand out:

1) Game 6 vs Calgary, 2007: Franzen scores a goal that probably could have been stopped (although it was a wicked slapshot)

2) Game 5 vs Anaheim, 2007: Lilja.

3) Game 5 vs Nashville, 2008: Franzen (Mr Clutch) takes a stretch pass and scores on a breakaway.

4) Game 5 vs Pittsburgh, 2008: we all know how this one ended

5) Game 2 vs Anaheim, 2009: Wings fire endlessly at Hiller and tear a hole in the logo on his jersey.

If nothing else, then the most recent two felt exactly the same: the Wings kept taking low-percentage shots and the goalies didn't let any bad ones go by. It seems like they definitely get away from their gameplan of crease crashing and instead just wind up shooting from anywhere with little or no support. Even my mom complained about their lack of a netfront presence today.

I get that everyone's tired, but they don't even look like the same team in overtime.

The Wings controlled the play for nearly two full OT periods, with a power play to boot, and still weren't able to puck into the back of the net. Pitiful, disgraceful and yes, pathetic.

I don't see them advancing if they can't figure out how to win in OT, as I think all these Anaheim games will be close.

When was the last time the Wings won an OT playoff game? I honestly can't remember.

Now that I think about it, neither Datsyuk nor Zetterberg have ever scored an OT playoff goal.

That may not sound like a big deal since even Yzerman only scored one, but it's not surprising that we're always losing if our top players don't play clutch in those situations like they're capable of doing. Both of those players had their chances but they just can't finish the job.

The answer to the poster above is last year against Nashville in game 5. So yeah, we do have some wins, but they're few and far between.

Back when Anaheim swept us I was at the double OT game, and the Wings were peppering Giguere with shots, and Karyia I think gets the puck and skates it into our zone, just throws a shot on net, more to buy his team some time to change, and it goes in.

I was thinking about that game this entire time and it still comes back to haunt me to this day.

Anyway, if the Wings played 100% since the drop of the first puck, they wouldn't have had to go to OT

Back when Anaheim swept us I was at the double OT game, and the Wings were peppering Giguere with shots, and Karyia I think gets the puck and skates it into our zone, just throws a shot on net, more to buy his team some time to change, and it goes in.

I was thinking about that game this entire time and it still comes back to haunt me to this day.

Anyway, if the Wings played 100% since the drop of the first puck, they wouldn't have had to go to OT

I'll never forget that game, since it was Giguere's coming out party.

That game also went 3 OT periods, and not 2. Also, Kariya scored off a faceoff on that goal, right after we iced the puck.

Just too many bad memories in overtimes against this damn team.

Edited by GMRwings1983

It's a simple thing. CRASH THE NET vs. shoot from the perimeter. Want to know why the Ducks goalies look like they're wearing matresses for goalie pads and have blankets for jerseys? Because the Wings haven't completely abandoned the Dave Lewis philosophy yet. When they stay 40 feet away from the net at all times and NEVER bump the other teams goalie, it's no wonder to me why they don't score. Look at how many times Osgood's net and Osgood himself were smashed into today. Then look at Hiller. In the playoffs, the refs put away their whistles and allow players to push other players into the goalies and create crappy goals. The only player on the team who gets this concept is Franzen.

Glad this thread is here. Any wings victory in OT would be a pleasant surprise. This team is abysmal in OT, and its almost ALWAYS characterized by our big offensive stars not working hard enough.

Yay. 62 shots on goal? I didn't see any of the OT, but I can guess what 80% of the shots looked like.

I wish we would've lost in regulation, honestly. Then Hiller would still be looking suspect.

Glad this thread is here. Any wings victory in OT would be a pleasant surprise. This team is abysmal in OT, and its almost ALWAYS characterized by our big offensive stars not working hard enough.

Yay. 62 shots on goal? I didn't see any of the OT, but I can guess what 80% of the shots looked like.

I wish we would've lost in regulation, honestly. Then Hiller would still be looking suspect.

To be honest with you, we had way better chances than what Marchant scored on, so they weren't all shots from the outside, but yeah for the most part the chances we had weren't as good as what the Wings are accustomed to.

For some reason, this team doesn't have the confidence when the OT's begin, and I think several posters have already alluded to it. Even when they get good opportunities from in close, they don't capitalize on them.

I guess from now on we need to let the other team control the play in OT's, and let our 4th liners have one lucky shift which happens to be the one they score on.

I had a feeling in this game that Chelli would have scored if Babcock had played him in the OT.

As the 3rd OT started, I thought Mike might play him just for some live legs, and I had the same feeling all night. Now we'll never know.

The Wings controlled the play for nearly two full OT periods, with a power play to boot, and still weren't able to puck into the back of the net. Pitiful, disgraceful and yes, pathetic.

I don't see them advancing if they can't figure out how to win in OT, as I think all these Anaheim games will be close.

When was the last time the Wings won an OT playoff game? I honestly can't remember.

Round 1 Game 5 of last year against Nashville, 1 of just 2 overtime games in the playoffs for the Wings.

It's not like they are dinking around out there. They had their chances. That's why it is called sudden death overtime, just 1 chance has to go in. It sometimes doesn't take 20 chances to do it. Hiller played a great game, give his credit. Sometimes goalies play great games, it happens.

Round 1 Game 5 of last year against Nashville, 1 of just 2 overtime games in the playoffs for the Wings.

It's not like they are dinking around out there. They had their chances. That's why it is called sudden death overtime, just 1 chance has to go in. It sometimes doesn't take 20 chances to do it. Hiller played a great game, give his credit. Sometimes goalies play great games, it happens.

True, but the Wings didn't pressure him enough. They weren't jumping on too many rebounds, which I think is key here.

Exactly, I really think these games build up opposing goaltenders confidence level. Just watch, next game he'll stand on his head.