• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jake Ryan

Game 3 Line Combos

Rate this topic

Franzen - Zetterberg - Cleary have 9 goals 12 assists for 21 points and are a combined +19 through 6 games.

Break that up and you deserve to be slapped. If Pavel and Marian can't figure things out mix and match them with the 3rd line but you don't touch that top line.

I'll see your way of thinking and raise you mine.

w/o the *ucks top line, how would this series look? So what is more important? Saving the shed while the house is burning down!? Or juggle your lines to nulify that top line!?

I still like my idea of putting :

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Franzen ( not for offense, but they are still your top 3 defensive forwards: Hossa? He is smaller than a mule. )

Hossa - Helm - Cleary ( It would be like watching 2 ferrets on crack being lead by a jack russel )

Flippula - Holmstrom - Huddler/Samuelson ( Put your opaque goalie mask where it is most needed )

*Note*

Last year I saw a coach do something so unthinkable most coaches would have been fired on the spot (PO's or not) for even suggesting it.

Think about it! You're in a tie series with all games won at home, and headed back home. And you sit a 6 time vezina superstar HOF goalie for a backup largely considered by all major analyst's the worst goalie to play as a starter for more than one year. How'd that work out?

This year arguably the best line in the NHL is consistently being beaten by the top line of another team; What do you do?

Edited by Taosuntzu

Dom was pissing the series down his leg and Oz had been better all season long.

You don't bust up a line that's working to fix a line that isn't. Z's line is a combined +5 and Getzlaf's line is a combined -1 through the first two games. Z's line is not the problem.

Dom was pissing the series down his leg and Oz had been better all season long.

You don't bust up a line that's working to fix a line that isn't. Z's line is a combined +5 and Getzlaf's line is a combined -1 through the first two games. Z's line is not the problem.

It's hard to break up the 1st line without breaking up Z's line. How else would you do it?

Sacrifices need to be made.

It's hard to break up the 1st line without breaking up Z's line. How else would you do it?

Sacrifices need to be made.

Z's is the 1st line for one. Blend the 2nd and 3rd.

Hudler - Datsyuk - Holmstrom/Samuelsson

Samuelsson/Holmstrom - Filppula - Hossa

They shared the jennings trophy, and had nearly identical sv%, how do you know it wasn't your defense?

Of course they are a -1, they're 1-1 and play the whole damn game.

This...

I would love to see Leino called up. Helm/Leino/Kopecky would be amazing fun to watch.

How about having a fourth line as good as their second line:

Leino/Helm/Abdelkader

That's skill/speed/size :thumbup:

Maltby has been invisible,and Kopecky looks like a newborn colt skating out there.

I know Draper can take faceoffs,but I think we are dominating that area already.

The problem with your theory is that Hossa gets delegated to the 3rd line.

And the problem with that is....?

Looks to me like you create 3 dangerous lines that AT SOME POINT are going to be severely outmatching the opposition. Datsyuk works best when he leads. Hossa works best when he leads. And Hank works best when hes shutting down the opposition, or so it seems.

If you ask me, it causes the Ducks to really pick their poison, just as much at home when they have the last change. If they use their top D pairing against Datsyuk's line, then in a simple rotation, Hossa is going to see some time against their third D pairing.

They shared the jennings trophy, and had nearly identical sv%, how do you know it wasn't your defense?

Of course they are a -1, they're 1-1 and play the whole damn game.

So are we, and Hank's line gets the most ice time. ;).

Awfully big discrepancy in +/- for the time difference.

You all will think I'm high. Swear I'm not.

Just once...

Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom

Hossa, Hudler, Helm

Franzen, Cleary, Filppula

Kopecky, Samuelsson, Leino.

I'll see your way of thinking and raise you mine.

w/o the *ucks top line, how would this series look? So what is more important? Saving the shed while the house is burning down!? Or juggle your lines to nulify that top line!?

I still like my idea of putting :

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Franzen ( not for offense, but they are still your top 3 defensive forwards: Hossa? He is smaller than a mule. )

Hossa - Helm - Cleary ( It would be like watching 2 ferrets on crack being lead by a jack russel )

Flippula - Holmstrom - Huddler/Samuelson ( Put your opaque goalie mask where it is most needed )

*Note*

Last year I saw a coach do something so unthinkable most coaches would have been fired on the spot (PO's or not) for even suggesting it.

Think about it! You're in a tie series with all games won at home, and headed back home. And you sit a 6 time vezina superstar HOF goalie for a backup largely considered by all major analyst's the worst goalie to play as a starter for more than one year. How'd that work out?

This year arguably the best line in the NHL is consistently being beaten by the top line of another team; What do you do?

i ******* like that. i like that a lot. but i dont see babs ever doing that

if anything babs puts hossa with zetterberg or datsyuk and zetterberg together

isnt helm going to be sent back down when draper comes back?

i would love to see helm and leino called up and replace the 2 of 4th liners.

i ******* like that. i like that a lot. but i dont see babs ever doing that

if anything babs puts hossa with zetterberg or datsyuk and zetterberg together

isnt helm going to be sent back down when draper comes back?

i would love to see helm and leino called up and replace the 2 of 4th liners.

Yeah, but somebody forgot to tell Helm that he isn't #8 or his first name isn't Alex.

I love his intensity, speed, and hockey sense. Did you see that imitation of Ovies off the board, and reverse spin and drive to the net. My jaw dropped.

Plus I think Babs knows to reward those who play with more ice time, and those that don't.... If I want a slightly injured Drapes back, I think I might sit either Kopecky or Maltby, depending on what he wants for a 4th line. No fault of Maltby, how can you do good things if you don't get any ice time, but I deffently wouldn't sit Helm for Drapes,

fully recovered or not.

Bold-beginning line combos

(Hossa/Datsyuk)-(Zetterberg/Datsyuk)-(Holmstrom/Franzen)

(Cleary/Holmstrom/Franzen)-(Helm/Filppula/Zetterberg)-(Hossa/Datsyuk

(Cleary/Helm)-(Filppula/Helm)-(Hudler/Samuelsson)

(Cleary/Kopecky)-(Draper/Helm)-(Samuelsson/Hudler)

Lidstrom-(Rafalski/Ericsson)

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-(Lebda/Rafalski)

PP

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Franzen Lidstrom-Rafalski

Hossa-Filppula-Holmstrom Stuart-Samuelsson

PK

Zetterberg-Draper Lidstrom-Rafalski

Datsyuk-Hossa Kronwall-Stuart

We have more possibilities on our lines than the them....and I think putting Helm around guys will pick up others.

Hiller we can beat we just have to crash the net and get traffic in front of him and keep the defense behind our traffic instead of the other way around.

We need to shut down Getzlaf like Nash and we can get under his skin to take bad penalties

and also stop taking stupid penalties such as high sticking

Whhhhhhaaaaatttt?!? I've highlighted the roster changes that point to a possible drinking problem :sly:

If we're going with some line mixing fun... (assuming Draper is out and Rafalski is in)

How 'bout:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Hossa-Franzen-Hudler

Cleary-Filppula-Samuelsson

Kopecky-Helm-Leino

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Lebda

Commentary:

The Franzen line seems a bit weird, but we've seen before that Franzen is a very capable centre on the draw and we all know Hudler is capable of setting everyone up. My first instinct was to put Filppula on the second line as a centre, but I'd rather keep him on the third to make that line more capable of doing damage.

In my opinion, Filppula does much better as a 3rd line centre that's not being matched up against than he does as a 2nd line centre.

Helm's line will create havoc (since Helm is fricking sweet on the forecheck), but without a solid offensive player added it's mostly wasted aside from wearing the opposition's d-men down. Adding Leino suddenly makes that line dangerous (see his performance in the NHL this year and his performance in the AHL- where he led the league in scoring through the first round- 11pts in 6 games).

THIS^^^^^

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Hossa

Cleary-Hudler-Samuelson

Helm-Draper-Maltby

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Stuart- Kronwall

Ericsson-Lebda

The Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Hossa line has not been clicking and the Z line has been ok. Dastyuk and Zetterberg feed off of each other and need to be on the same line.

:thumbup:

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Hossa

Cleary-Hudler-Samuelson

Helm-Draper-Maltby

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Stuart- Kronwall

Ericsson-Lebda

The Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Hossa line has not been clicking and the Z line has been ok. Dastyuk and Zetterberg feed off of each other and need to be on the same line.

Some interesting combinations but I think this one is definitely the most sound and realistic. Honestly I'd like to put in Leino in place of Samuelson on that third line, but of course that is not going to happen.

So are we, and Hank's line gets the most ice time. ;).

Awfully big discrepancy in +/- for the time difference.

Getzlaf's line has been on the ice for every single regulation time goal. That's 5 *ucks goals to 6 Wings goals. Imagine that! That would make them -1.

The Z line is having success against them. The Dats, Hossa, and Holmstrom line is being torn apart by them. Now the Wings are going into Anaheim's house Where they have to stick with their choice of face-off, and if the 3rd or (god forbid) the 4th line goes out for the draw, Carlyle can get his top line out against him.

My concern is Holmstrom is not jumping on loose pucks in the DET zone. Let's face it, he is more known for his hard play in the offensive zone than his great skating ability in the defensive zone.

Besides, I'm not really breaking up the Z line. Cleary is playing well in the defensive zone, I wouls like to switch him for Dats, and as for Holmstrom and Helm, you'll have to follow my thinking.

I saw Helm start a shift in the defensive zone. (I didn't look at the time of play sry) the forward with the puck was down low to the right of Osgood. He passed the puck back up to the point. Helm did not glide up to him he sprinted all out, (I caught my breath because I thought Helm was going to get caught high and Ana was got to get a great low slot oppertunity) The point man settled the puck and hurried to go back down low (which was what I expected) But Helm did a 2 foot hockey stop from top speed and sprung back to position. Just in time to break up the cross ice feed for the 1 timer. He shoved the puck to the boards and in the ensuing scrum got the puck in firm control of the defensemen. Later on the same shift he stood at the offensive blue line waiting to enter the zone. The puck came to him and he was promply surrounded by 3 *ucks, he banked the puck off the boards and reverse spun to center ice to try and catch his own pass a' la Ovie, the *ucks got lucky and intercepted the pass. The DET D where caught at center ice, and were about to recieve an odd man rush. Helm dove for the puck slapped it to the boards and bought the D just enough time to get back to their own blue line and nullify the odd man rush. I'm sorry but that type of play is way out of Holmstrom's skill set.

Samuelson is going to take any shot he even gets a chance at, regardless of anything else that happens on the ice. I often here him criticized for it, even though there is no such thing as a bad shot on goal. I propose you put your goalie blind fold on the same line as Sammy. What's the worst that could happen!? Holmstrom gets a goal!?

*NOTEWORTHY*

Every since our first cup in 40 some years, the Wings have stummbled on to an underlying fabric of hockey. Herb Brooks once said "I don't need the best players, I need the right players." What does this mean? Most already know, but bear with me for those that don't. McCarty, Yzerman, and Federov. (aka Rock, paper, scissors. )

It is the same reason that every incredible superstar has another hall of famer sidekick; Mario had Jagr, Gretsky had Messier, and on and on.

Rock: plays well down low, scores well off rebounds, irritates goalies.

Paper: blankets the ice, always ready to dish a gorgeous pass, or shoot, goalies never know which.

Scissors: cuts in to the net, always looking for some open ice to shoot the puck, always ready for the pass.

This is why Holland resigned Franzen, and seems willing to let Hossa (a far better player) go. Too many scissors not enough rocks.

Zetts, Dats, Homer line. It's your favorite line because Z and D are essentially both paper and scissors at the same time. Although Zetts is tad more scissors, and Dats tad more paper.

Ok, what about.. if Draper comes back, we can have Helm centering the 3rd line. Put Cleary down on the 4th.

Like so:

Z-D-H

Franzen-Fil-Hossa

Hudler-Helm-Samuelsson

Cleary-Draper-Maltby

I still think there's no real need to start mixing things up already, but this is a lineup I would like to see.

And you think Huds is the better choice?

Flip has way outplayed Hudler in all facets.

Has he? Because the whole points thing confuses me then. Maybe Hudler's better point total doesn't count then?

No reason to demote Cleary, especially all the way to the fourth line. He's third on the team in points right now.

All I know is, there's no way we can scratch Helm. I hope that next game we see Draper and Rafalski in, Kopecky and Chelios out.

Cleary has been working hard every shift. Just look at Franzén's goal - Cleary took a hit to get the puck to Zetterberg.

While I want to see ZDHolm like everyone else, I'll need to bring out this age old hackneyed mantra: if it ain't broke don't fix it.

FZC has been a very good line for us, so I don't see why it should change.

And while I would love to see Helm get more ice time, it certainly shouldn't be at the expense of Cleary. And keep in mind that the more ice time Helm gets, the less sprinting you might see...

I'm assuming Draper and Rafalski will be back.

FZC (yes this is our first line) have played very well so I wouldn't change it. The only thing is that with the Ducks having home ice advantage, we'll need to be sure that each line will be good defensively. FZC is, and HelmDM is okay. The current 2nd and 3rd lines are okay defensively, but for the sake of offense should maybe be switched up. However, I can't really get anything to look that good without breaking up lines 1 and 4 (which have both been very good).

Hudler-Datsyuk-Holmström - not very good defensively, and I think that it would be good to have a goal-scorer with Datsyuk and Holmström, hopefully Hudler would be able to step it up. However, he's not the player who is going to get his nose dirty.

Hossa-Filppula-Samuelsson - better defensively overall than the above line, and puts Flip (who has been playing well) with a proven-goal scorer and a so-so two-way player.

I don't know...

How about having a fourth line as good as their second line:

Leino/Helm/Abdelkader

That's skill/speed/size :thumbup:

Maltby has been invisible,and Kopecky looks like a newborn colt skating out there.

I know Draper can take faceoffs,but I think we are dominating that area already.

:clap: :clap: :clap: That line would be hell for the opposing D. I can just see them dumping the puck and Helm/abdelkader punishing Pronger and the other picking up the puck and feeding it out front to Leino for a goal. Abdelkader and Helm can fly, and Leino can score.

The wings are doing well enough in the face off circle that Draper's FO skills are almost unneeded.