• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Vladifan

A little OT controversy

Rate this topic

I'd have to agree that my attention span was being tested the longer the game went on. At one point, I just wanted the game to end. 4-on-4 would save the legs of a lot of players and probably would result in better play for longer periods of time. I still don't know how I would feel about a change like that, but I don't think I would hate it if the NHL did go with that change.

Edited by Mike

I'd have to agree that my attention span was being tested the longer the game went on. At one point, I just wanted the game to end. 4-on-4 would save the legs of a lot of players and probably would result in better play for longer periods of time. I still don't know how I would feel about a change like that, but I don't think I would hate it if the NHL did go with that change.

Actually, me either. They probably also know what they're talking about when they say that audience numbers go down dramatically as the game wears on. It would sure make it more exciting!

I could be wrong here...in fact I wouldn't be surprised if I am. But don't GMs have to vote on changes like that? The article simply states that the Competition Comittee was a ote away from 'recommending' this change. It doesn't say we were a vote away from implementing the change.

Does anyone know the specifics or this so my understanding can be shot down or confirmed? If I'm right here then this would be nothing more news-worthy than simply getting a new proposal on your ballot in November...except that it didn't even make it on the ballot.

Same here, after the 1st overtime I used my tv for my workout dvd's and put the game on the computer, so I could hear if anyone scored.

After years of being against any change to OT in the playoffs, I think I would be for going down to 4-4 after a OT period or two, when considering the number of rounds and games it takes to win the Stanley Cup.

Oh, and my opinion is that this should never be done. Regardless of whether or not the average Joe keeps their attention through the 3rd overtime, they still should play through it. Shortcuts like that in the regular season are fine since it's not really impacting much in terms of the season...there might be a little position jockeying but nothing more. This is the playoffs...not a shortcut. We're proud of hockey because the Stanley Cup Playoffs are the most difficult and demanding professional sports competition. If it makes it tough for teams in the remainder of a game that goes into multiple OTs then those teams should get it done before OT. This is hockey!

Oh, and my opinion is that this should never be done. Regardless of whether or not the average Joe keeps their attention through the 3rd overtime, they still should play through it. Shortcuts like that in the regular season are fine since it's not really impacting much in terms of the season...there might be a little position jockeying but nothing more. This is the playoffs...not a shortcut. We're proud of hockey because the Stanley Cup Playoffs are the most difficult and demanding professional sports competition. If it makes it tough for teams in the remainder of a game that goes into multiple OTs then those teams should get it done before OT. This is hockey!

This is why a 4-on-4 OT should not be used until after 2 5-on-5 OTs. How many playoff OT periods go longer than 2 OTs?

This is why a 4-on-4 OT should not be used until after 2 5-on-5 OTs. How many playoff OT periods go longer than 2 OTs?

Exactly...how many go more than 2? SO why change it at all, een for 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. Just let the game playout. Besides, I don't see GMs voting in this rule. They build their team around 5-5 hockey. They get ready for the playoffs with 5-5 hockey. They are going to want to battle through a game with 5-5 hockey...not risk a W for their team because some articifial means of opening up the ice is employed. Throw all the changes you want into the regular season...but leave the playoffs alone.

Exactly...how many go more than 2? SO why change it at all, een for 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. Just let the game playout. Besides, I don't see GMs voting in this rule. They build their team around 5-5 hockey. They get ready for the playoffs with 5-5 hockey. They are going to want to battle through a game with 5-5 hockey...not risk a W for their team because some articifial means of opening up the ice is employed. Throw all the changes you want into the regular season...but leave the playoffs alone.

That might be a little drastic. All those rule changes would affect the playoffs in some way or another so it would not in fact be leaving the playoffs alone.

I actually love long OT games (unless the Wings are playing).

Some of the most entertaining games I've ever seen involved teams I didn't care about playing in 4 or 5 OT games. No reason to change anything.

This.

Although my opinion's subject to change if yesterday's game ends up affecting us more than the Ducks ;)

I can't believe some of you lost interest during the OT.. especially since you actually have the game on at a reasonable hour.

The best thing about the playoffs is the possibility of marathon-OT games. I love it.

I like that the rules are the same in OT as they are during regulation. Changing to 4 on 4 in the OT might give one team a distinct advantage and that doesn't feel right to me.

The game definitely seemed to drag on. Not that it wasn't exciting, it was just that I was exhausted, and nerve-shot from watching for 4.5 hours. I'm a college student with a huge final presentation this week which requires long hours spent on campus. I wish they would have just lost in regulation instead of me wasting an extra two hours just to watch them lose more fantastically :P

I have a better idea, just call a penalty in OT like one in the first period.

If you mean, "just call penalties like you call them in OT" then yeah, I agree with you. Call legit penalties, and you don't have to worry about it taking 4 OT periods of hockey just because you refuse to call a trip when a player is on a breakaway into the oppositions offensive zone.

This is playoff hockey. Keep it the way it is. You don't want to cut corners, when the Stanley Cup is on the line. I was glued to my set for all five hours. If you think that was boring, then switch to baseball.

Surprising to hear this...I love the current playoff format. The introduction of the shootout was tough for me to take but I've finally accepted it (not that i'm for it, simply acceptance). Please don't mess with playoff overtime. In my eyes it's the most dramatic spectacle in the 4 major professional sports. I love it how it is.

Surprising to hear this...I love the current playoff format. The introduction of the shootout was tough for me to take but I've finally accepted it (not that i'm for it, simply acceptance). Please don't mess with playoff overtime. In my eyes it's the most dramatic spectacle in the 4 major professional sports. I love it how it is.

yea overtime is nonstop excitement the entire time, i never find a boring moment in nhl OTsbiggrin.gif

yea overtime is nonstop excitement the entire time, i never find a boring moment in nhl OTsbiggrin.gif

The only thing I don't like about OT is the lack of skating. I wish the NHL would put in a half-time during the OT periods where they resurfaced the ice. The play in the last 10 minutes of each overtime is really poor, in general.