• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shaman

Should the wings bring up Leino?

Rate this topic

The big problem with the 4th line - as brilliantly as Helm is playing - is the complete lack of scoring touch. Whilst ever Draper is out, I would be tempted to swap Leino for Kopecky. We all saw in the regular season how the addition of Leino utterly transformed the 4th line.

Once Draper is back (fingers crossed for game 4), Helm will probly jump up the 3rd line (as stated by Babcock before Drapers injury) and someone, probably Hudler, will drop down to the 4th, giving it a bit more firepower.

I think the wings are worried about his defensive responsibilities,,, though when your scoring goals you don't have to worry about playing D i suppose.... :lol:

Really though he is a floater in the defensive zone and is prone to coughing the puck up along the boards near the blue line which is death in the playoffs

With that being said,,,, BRING HIM UP KENNY, he's fun as hell to watch and is great at cycling and keeps his head up at all times

We need Leino for his skill,and Abdelkader for his size and grit.Add Helm's speed and you have a 4th line that can match the other team's second line. :thumbup:

How about put Zetter and Dats back together to get the top line going and put Leino/Flip/Hossa together?

YES.

then Franzen Hudler Cleary or sammy.

Thats' one line better than the ducks top, 1 lines better than the ducks second and one line as good.

I think its because Leino is doing really well for GR and if he was called up for the Wings he'd be a 3rd or 4th liner. They want him getting a lot of ice time during the playoffs, even if its the AHL playoffs.

Personally, I would rather see him up with the big club, he's proven he can play up here, but I'm not going to argue with the coaching staff. They know their stuff.

I think its because Leino is doing really well for GR and if he was called up for the Wings he'd be a 3rd or 4th liner. They want him getting a lot of ice time during the playoffs, even if its the AHL playoffs.

Personally, I would rather see him up with the big club, he's proven he can play up here, but I'm not going to argue with the coaching staff. They know their stuff.

QFT

I really think its time for Leino to be brought up to the Wings against the Ducks

Homer-Dats-Hossa

Mule-Z-Cleary

Leino-Flip-Hudler

Sammy-Draper-Helm

I like this! Is Draper ready to play Game 3? Sending Maltby down is a good thing, he's proved useless for the playoffs and most of the season so far. In fact, I might actually swap Sammy with Leino on that line to give the Draper line some pep. Go Leino!

I would love to see this happen but unfortunately I don't see this much as a reality. The fact is that we remain the only team in the league that hasn't lost a playoff game in regulation so why should we adjust things now.

Just because we haven't lost in regulation yet doesn't mean the team cant be better then it already is.

I think the wings are worried about his defensive responsibilities,,, though when your scoring goals you don't have to worry about playing D i suppose.... :lol:

Really though he is a floater in the defensive zone and is prone to coughing the puck up along the boards near the blue line which is death in the playoffs

With that being said,,,, BRING HIM UP KENNY, he's fun as hell to watch and is great at cycling and keeps his head up at all times

Leino +/- in regular season>>>>>Helm's +/- in the regular season.

Update - Griffins lost and are down 3-0 against Manitoba.

While I would love to see Leino play, I should point out that I'm not sure he should go on the 4th line. Our 1st (FZC) and 4th (KHelmM) have both been great, and I don't think there is any point in changing that - beyond perhaps substituting Draper for Kopecky. Maltby has played quite well - much better than he did in the regular season. He's being pesky, trying to draw penalties, and the line as a whole has had lots of hits and puck possession, and even one or two chances. The two lines that need a boost offensively are the 2nd and 3rd lines.

I don't think Babs is in control of personnel moves - he has stated that if it was his decision than Ericcson would have been up last year. The coach is responsible for the players on the roster - it sounds like he doesn't have much say other than partial input.

You realize there IS actually a middle ground between dictatorial powers to decide who's on the roster and not having any influence at all? You realize the only issue isn't who Babcock wants to play, like the salary cap? You realize it's not just a one time decision who should be traveling up and down constantly but workout out a strategy through the season?

The Wings don't need a scoring threat on the 4th line. They are not there to score. They are there to keep oppenents from scoring and add some energy/physicality. It's the playoffs... 3 goals should be enough to win. I hope Leino will be on the team next year, and I'd put him in if another regular forward got injured, but right now I'd rather keep the current guys that have track records of being good defensively in the lineup.

The Wings don't need a scoring threat on the 4th line. They are not there to score. They are there to keep oppenents from scoring and add some energy/physicality. It's the playoffs... 3 goals should be enough to win. I hope Leino will be on the team next year, and I'd put him in if another regular forward got injured, but right now I'd rather keep the current guys that have track records of being good defensively in the lineup.

I'm with you. I love Leino and hope he's going to play in Detroit next year, not GR. But he is making the transition to more physical NHL style and smaller rinks. I don't think the playoffs is the best time to do that.

Do our current 4th line players have a good history of defensive responsibility? Maltby -9, Helm -7, Kopecky -7.

Other than Helm, our 4th line is invisible. I don't think Leino is any more of a defensive risk than the current selection if that's how they're approaching it.

Leino +/- in regular season>>>>>Helm's +/- in the regular season.

It really does not matter what the regular season stats look like. Personally, I have no idead to send down Helm. He has been our BEST PLAYER on the ice with Ozzie, Maltby, Lidstrom, and Franzen. He has been providing all the energy we really looked forward to.

I'd be thrilled if Leino was brought up given how he produced at a ridicuouls pace in his limited action, but not having Leino up isn't the problem I think. The Wings not finishing is the problem, at least last game. And say Leino just goes to the 4th line, they aren't counted on to score first/foremost (although that'd be nice if it's done obviously). The 4th line for Detroit has been far from a problem. Helm is just busting tail hitting everything he can, Kopecky has been all right with some hits here/there (more than usual that regular season at least), and I haven't noticed Maltby goofing anything up.

Having Leino and Kopecky compete for a spot, and a healthy Draper and Maltby compete would be great. They 4th line would hit everything, and have to generate to stay in. That rotation of 4 is pretty good, even Kopecky has been dece against Anaheim.

I find it to be incredible that Kopecky plays and Leino doesn't. Leino did incredible things with the limited ice time he got during the regular season. Kopecky is....? I'm not even sure what to say here... Kopecky is... ? Ya, I got nothing! I'd put Leino in in a heartbeat, even for miniscule 4th line duties. Hell I try Abdelkader in there over Kopecky to see what he could do.

I really think its time for Leino to be brought up to the Wings against the Ducks

Homer-Dats-Hossa

Mule-Z-Cleary

Leino-Flip-Hudler

Sammy-Draper-Helm

This would give the Wings the best bang for the buck for the wings, and give our third and fourth lines better ability to score. The reason I think he should be brought up is because Maltby and Kopecky both are pretty invisible on the 4th line, only Helm has done anything. Also though both are good at D this would be a Defensive upgrade for all lines.

So what do you think?

I agree Shaman, that would be nice to see, but i doubt Leino will be called up for the playoffs.