• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evilmrt

Reviewability of the calls?

Rate this topic

So can someone tell me, by the book, why the disallowed goal was not reviewed? In the final minutes of a PLAYOFF game, I cannot see why this league isn't more professional. It was a game tying goal. Why isn't it automatically reviewed LIKE IN THE OTHER PRO LEAGUES?!?!

So can someone tell me, by the book, why the disallowed goal was not reviewed? In the final minutes of a PLAYOFF game, I cannot see why this league isn't more professional. It was a game tying goal. Why isn't it automatically reviewed LIKE IN THE OTHER PRO LEAGUES?!?!

1) The team getting screwed was the Red Wings.

2) The team benefitting was the Ducks.

End of story, case closed.

In this case, it came down to the Ref's intent to blow the whistle.

This call can't be reviewed, because the issue isn't a matter of where the puck is. The ref lost sight of the puck, and had intended to blow the whistle dead, thinking that Hiller had the puck. Obviously, Hiller didn't have the puck, but since the ref had decided to blow the whistle, even though the puck was in the net before the whistle blew, the ref had intended to blow the whistle sooner, thus the play is ruled dead.

There's no reviewing the ref's intent to blow the whistle.

By the book, play is dead whenever the referee blows the whistle. It doesn't matter if it is inadvertent or incorrect, the whistle stops all play. It is not reviewable because, I guess the thinking goes, players are supposed to stop as soon as the whistle is blown and so you can't extrapolate on what players might have done if play wasn't stopped. This is true in all major sports.

It's absolutely atrocious that the ref blew the whistle on what was clearly a loose puck but it is what it is. From his angle, he thought the sprawled out Hiller had it frozen. Refs are taught to blow the whistle when they lose sight of the puck--really, it's a lose-lose situation for them anyway... if they blow it too quickly, like what happened tonight, one team obviously gets screwed. If they wait five or six seconds and the puck is covered, then they chewed up important time for one team or the other.

I don't think ref should have called the play dead that soon if he didn't know where the puck was. It gave the goalie the benefit of the doubt and cost the Wings the game.

But then again regardless of that, was the puck in after or before the whistle blew?

Edited by gamesmasta

Amazing that one official that's out of position can singlehandedly end a game prematurely.

ya, good thing they have 2

ive always thought on plays exactly like that one why that responsibility doesnt go to the neutral zone ref who has a much better view

LMFAO ... HAHAHAHAHA OMG TOO FUNNY INTENTED TO WHISTLE ...??? LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WOW that's the stupidest rule i've ever heard.

This kind of thing happens more often than I think most people realize. This rule has been around for as long as I can remember it, so I'm quite surprised that you've never heard of it before.

It's a total judgement call by the ref. As soon as he makes up his mind to call the play dead, it's dead. And since there's no way to go back and use video review to determine exactly when the Ref made up his mind to call the play dead, it has to defer to the refs judgement every time. In this case, the ref made up his mind to call the play dead before the puck was in the net, but didn't get a chance to blow the whistle until afterwards.

Doesn't matter that the puck made it in the net. Doesn't matter that it's a wrong call (because clearly Hiller never had the puck). All that matters is the ref made up his mind to call it dead. That's why he waved no goal.

I'm so angry, I could actually hurl... I'm.... still speechless...

EXACTLY the same situation as dealing with fumbles in football. If you rule it a fumble, it can later be reviewed to see if it was a fumble. But if you decide its an incomplete pass or rule the runner down, it can NEVER be a fumble again.

Tonite was the worst blown call based on the obviousness and the overall impact of losing a playoff game in the NHL. Bad enough the refs are blowing the usual calls and the Wings are sans two of their top 6 defenseman and number one faceoff winner, without the refs handing the Ducks the game.

The best part: how many times have we seen the puck knocked from our goaltenders and put in the net with no such whistles....

pure unbridled rage is the only emotion I can muster right now....

Meh - playoff hockey...What ya gonna do? Bitching isn't gonna win the series.

Yes ... will make me feel better.

Why blow the whistle when the goalie is clearly down and STILL MOVING trying to find the puck.. its not like Hiller was stationary. It was clearly not over .. but yet some jackass just cost us a game..

In the same sense.. we shouldn't have played like s*** for the first 45 minutes and we wouldnt have been in that position.

I would love to look at the ducks Thread to see how they would say it was never a goal. They are always complaining about the league and its conspiracy for the wings to win.

Wondering if any of them would be man enough to admit they got lucky... Ya right !

even though the puck was in the net before the whistle blew, the ref had intended to blow the whistle sooner, thus the play is ruled dead.

There's no reviewing the ref's intent to blow the whistle.

The only problem with that is, the play's not dead...

Hooray for political bull****!!! The puck was in before the whistle sounded, which means the play was still alive???? As far as I'm concerned, they just woke a sleeping dragon.

Wings in 6

Edited by papasgut

The Wings have been strewed by the "intent to blow" BS before

The call that lead to the ducks second goal was BS

The no goal at the end was BS

I am a calm guy normally, but im in FULL RAGE MODE right now!!!

This kind of thing happens more often than I think most people realize. This rule has been around for as long as I can remember it, so I'm quite surprised that you've never heard of it before.

It's a total judgement call by the ref. As soon as he makes up his mind to call the play dead, it's dead. And since there's no way to go back and use video review to determine exactly when the Ref made up his mind to call the play dead, it has to defer to the refs judgement every time. In this case, the ref made up his mind to call the play dead before the puck was in the net, but didn't get a chance to blow the whistle until afterwards.

Doesn't matter that the puck made it in the net. Doesn't matter that it's a wrong call (because clearly Hiller never had the puck). All that matters is the ref made up his mind to call it dead. That's why he waved no goal.

I do understand the rule but it's stupid because it's what happens in the game. Now if the goalie had it and the ref was about to whistle and was late after the opposing player took extra wacks and scored and the whistle went off then I'd understand the situation but not in this scenario. Goals like this should be reviewed by the NHL they just stole a game from us could lead to an elimination.

The only problem with that is, the play's not dead...

It was in the mind of the ref. He was out of position, lost sight of it thinking that Hiller had it, so he made the decision to make the call. Decision made, play dead. No arguing the point.

I don't agree with the call at all, and I'm not defending the ref for losing sight of the puck. It was a horrible mistake on his part, and yes it cost us the game.

But the rules are the rules...

I'm so angry, I could actually hurl... I'm.... still speechless...

EXACTLY the same situation as dealing with fumbles in football. If you rule it a fumble, it can later be reviewed to see if it was a fumble. But if you decide its an incomplete pass or rule the runner down, it can NEVER be a fumble again.

Tonite was the worst blown call based on the obviousness and the overall impact of losing a playoff game in the NHL. Bad enough the refs are blowing the usual calls and the Wings are sans two of their top 6 defenseman and number one faceoff winner, without the refs handing the Ducks the game.

The best part: how many times have we seen the puck knocked from our goaltenders and put in the net with no such whistles....

pure unbridled rage is the only emotion I can muster right now....

My thoughts exactly. Why can't you let these plays go, and then, review them. If the goalies shows on the review that he had it long enough, you say no goal. If it is still live, you let the goal stand. The inconsistency of the NHL officiating is horrible from missed calls, to extra calls, to officials calling something that they are not in a good position to see. Amazing.

tough way to lose a game from an obvious goal... I now know what it feels like to be a sabres fan. I'm just happy the cup was not on the line in this game. Plays like this should be reviewable. the nhls review rules are brutal much like a lot of other things in the league. I understand that the call was made but there are four officials on the ice all from diferent angles, if there is any doubt there should be a review of the goal especially since it was in the net before the whistle had blown. This is water under the bridge but the nhl instant replay rules irk me. One pucks that hit the net should be reviewable if the net is not there the puck would b gone. Two, goalie interference could possibly be reviewed as well although many slippery slopes could come of it maybe not make this reviewable but its either a penalty or its not. Third every goal in the playoffs should be reviewable, no questions asked. If the puck goes in the net it should be looked at, especially on plays like this when the whistle is blown after the puck crosses the line. Why can't these officials have a powwow much like football officials to get word to see if a review should be made. oh well the game is over, wings were screwed in the end, but if lebda would have put the puck in the corner like he should have the score would probably have been 1-1 and we could have been looking at overtime. Hopefully it lights a fire under their asses that they seem to be missing for the first 20 to 30 minutes of each game.