• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

EastLansingNative

Ducks Fans...

Rate this topic

I'm still very much in shock, and too exhausted to go into great detail, but I was appalled by the behavior of the ducks fans tonight. In the parking lot after the game, a dozen drunken duck fans were rocking wings fans cars back and forth and starting fights. Not to mention the trash talking in the stands. I'm all for a little chatter back and forth, but the things these people were saying were completely classless and uncalled for. If you're going to sit and berate "soft euros" for 60+ minutes, then please trade Hiller, Selanne, etc... You don't deserve to have them on your team. While you're at it, when they show Willie O'Ree on the jumbotron, go ahead and boo... we know you want to.

I'm considering selling my game 4 tickets...

Anyone else care to share your experiences?

(to be fair, the people in front of us were very nice and polite, and gave us a hard time about Octopi :)

I'm at school here in NorCal. Over the last four years I've been to four Sharks games, two Ducks games. The difference between the fan bases is night and day -- the former being pretty damn classy on the whole, and the latter...well....

Both CalWingNut and I were grabbed by some drunk woman in the parking lot. Andy said that there was a wings fan that got jumped in the parking lot near his car and there were no police or security were around. It was lovely.

I can't honestly believe people behave this way towards other human beings. It's sad and depressing.

I'm still very much in shock, and too exhausted to go into great detail, but I was appalled by the behavior of the ducks fans tonight. In the parking lot after the game, a dozen drunken duck fans were rocking wings fans cars back and forth and starting fights. Not to mention the trash talking in the stands. I'm all for a little chatter back and forth, but the things these people were saying were completely classless and uncalled for. If you're going to sit and berate "soft euros" for 60+ minutes, then please trade Hiller, Selanne, etc... You don't deserve to have them on your team. While you're at it, when they show Willie O'Ree on the jumbotron, go ahead and boo... we know you want to.

(to be fair, the people in front of us were very nice and polite, and gave us a hard time about Octopi :)

Ducks Fan = Raiders Fan without the Darth Vadar mask or the switchblade.

Seriously? All this happened? I don't remember it being like that, and I didn't leave all that long ago... I remember in 2003 some Wings fans grabbing Ducks fans and beating them up (I was 12, scared the crap out of me) I know it means nothing to you, but I am sorry you had this experience. It's disgusting and a disgrace.

In 2007 at the ponda during the Western Conference Finals (Game 3 (the blow out game) a season ticket holder told me it was embarassing to be a ducks fan because they are now known as the raider nation of hockey. Their behavior is out of control. In all the years I've been going to this arena it's been getting worse and worse.

I'd also like to mention that at that game the man sitting next to me was yelling at me for no good reason other than the fact that I was wearing a red wings jersey and I hadn't even said a word except for "excuse me" so I could sit down. He went so far as to threaten me after he had constantly tried to goad me into any argument he was trying to start. I had texted my friend and he came up and threatened this guy (as if the situation wasn't already uncomfortable). This friend is a ducks season ticket holder (but he also knows the head of security at the ponda- who was also standing there when my friend threatened this guy).

The guy sitting next to me.. just looked at me. I thought you're not even wearing a STITCH of ducks swag... seriously.. and he was probably in his 50s. I can't even begin to explain how utterly uncomfortable that was for me. This guy was a complete donkey.

Edited by VladyIBELIEVE16

Seriously? All this happened? I don't remember it being like that, and I didn't leave all that long ago... I remember in 2003 some Wings fans grabbing Ducks fans and beating them up (I was 12, scared the crap out of me) I know it means nothing to you, but I am sorry you had this experience. It's disgusting and a disgrace.

Actually, I appreciate your apology on behalf of all ducks fans.

It's people like you that are the only saving grace of this organization.

In 2007 at the ponda during the Western Conference Finals (Game 3 (the blow out game) a season ticket holder told me it was embarassing to be a ducks fan because they are now known as the raider nation of hockey. Their behavior is out of control. In all the years I've been going to this arena it's been getting worse and worse.

The fans just follow how the team and its players act/play. What's sad is that the NHL police (the officials) can actually do something about it during the games and don't. If the Red Wings had the 10 power plays per game against the Ducks that they should have, the Ducks would be forced to play with skill instead of penalties. This would open up their fans to a different brand of hockey instead of the muck they throw out there. Lame.

Sadly this stuff happens at most sporting events where alcohol is present.

I was at The Joe last season with a friend and we almost got into a fight with 2 other piss drunk Wings fans because they where pushing and shoving some old guy with a Dallas jersey on after he went the wrong way into the bathroom, something he obviously didn't know he did wrong, until the two started harassing him.

The bottom line with most situations like this is that idiots who revert to 12 year olds after a couple of beers shouldn't be allowed to drink, much less do it in a social environment.

If these incidents you're talking about weren't alcohol related I'd be surprised, also I'd further recommend those involved have their reproductive organs scraped off by Bob Barker.

Things were cool in my section, though I do look pretty badass with my playoff beard, so that probably helped keep a lid on things. :lol: People behind me talked the entire game about houses, boats, cars, and some apparent insurance fraud involving a house fire they committed, and noticed at a couple points a hockey game was going on, but that was all.

Sorry to anyone who had a bad experience on top of a brutal call and a piss poor effort by the Wings.

the fans are definitely worse at the ponda than at staples... and you'd think the kings fans would be worse... i came close to throwing a few blows at ducks games, but luckly for them it never resulted in that.

I'm at school here in NorCal. Over the last four years I've been to four Sharks games, two Ducks games. The difference between the fan bases is night and day -- the former being pretty damn classy on the whole, and the latter...well....

Thank you. :)

The people in socal kind of just treat the games as another party and an excuse to go out. The game itself isn't always the main attraction. Again, I'm generalizing and there are good hardcore ducks fans out there...just way less of them. They don't sell out their playoff games for a reason. Too many other things going on in the LA/Anaheim area and people just don't care about hockey that much.

Hehe. You prob. caught me in the parking lot then. Check out my other thread. Pretty crappy night...

I don't know if this will make anyone feel any better but I got an email from a close friend who happens to be a season ticket holder at the ponda asking me if I made it to my car safely without incident last night. Sadly I couldn't say I had. I explained what had happened to me, then as well all these other incidences that have popped up here on LGW... she's forwarded my descriptions on to her contact at the Ponda requesting that something be done to protect people and their safety when parties are leaving the ponda property etc. Hopefully it'll make a difference....

All teams have good fans, all teams have bad fans. Alcohol, as was pointed out earlier, is to blame in 99% of all fan related fights and I'm sure was a factor in the deplorable behavior of the Ducks fans that got out of line and committed criminal acts last night.

To anyone that had a bad experience at the Ducks game last night I'm very sorry to hear that. Nobody should ever feel threatened or scared simply because of what team they root for, and physical violence is unacceptable.

I will pass along this information to the Ducks and urge them to increase parking lot security after the game for tomorrow night and Game Six (if necessary). I would also urge you to report ALL incidents to the Arena security and/or the police immediately in order to get a record of the attacks and in hopes of catching the offending people.

Edited by PuckPodcast

Guest Shoreline
Thank you. :)

The people in socal kind of just treat the games as another party and an excuse to go out. The game itself isn't always the main attraction. Again, I'm generalizing and there are good hardcore ducks fans out there...just way less of them. They don't sell out their playoff games for a reason. Too many other things going on in the LA/Anaheim area and people just don't care about hockey that much.

For the most part Sharks fans are very civil, however, I have run into quite a few drunks on the way to a hotel, numerous times, on the Alameda (I tend to like to stay at the Arena Hotel) who were trying to goad me into a fight. There's a reason so many cops stand outside at Autumn/Santa Clara. However, I just laugh it off. An ex of mine took their trash talking personally, while we were heading back to the Diridon parking area after a Wings/Sharks game, and nearly got in a fight with someone who couldn't shut her mouth and win with grace. :lol: Good times. :)

But yeah, try to compare Sharks/Ducks fans, and Duck fans end up looking like Raiders fans.

Edited by Shoreline

For the most part Sharks fans are very civil, however, I have run into quite a few drunks on the way to a hotel, numerous times, on the Alameda (I tend to like to stay at the Arena Hotel) who were trying to goad me into a fight. There's a reason so many cops stand outside at Autumn/Santa Clara. However, I just laugh it off. An ex of mine took their trash talking personally, while we were heading back to the Diridon parking area after a Wings/Sharks game, and nearly got in a fight with someone who couldn't shut her mouth and win with grace. :lol: Good times. :)

But yeah, try to compare Sharks/Ducks fans, and Duck fans end up looking like Raiders fans.

I hate the raiders too. Ugh.

Solution: Instead of using age as the qualification to legally consume alcohol, why not use an IQ test? :P

I'd also like to mention that at that game the man sitting next to me was yelling at me for no good reason other than the fact that I was wearing a red wings jersey and I hadn't even said a word except for "excuse me" so I could sit down. He went so far as to threaten me after he had constantly tried to goad me into any argument he was trying to start. I had texted my friend and he came up and threatened this guy (as if the situation wasn't already uncomfortable). This friend is a ducks season ticket holder (but he also knows the head of security at the ponda- who was also standing there when my friend threatened this guy).

The guy sitting next to me.. just looked at me. I thought you're not even wearing a STITCH of ducks swag... seriously.. and he was probably in his 50s. I can't even begin to explain how utterly uncomfortable that was for me. This guy was a complete donkey.

I think that a team's fan base is an extension of the team's attitude when on the ice (field, court, pitch, whatever). The Ducks as a team, suck. And I don't mean they're bad players, or that their system is bad, no... they suck because they're mean, dirty, disrepectful, flippant, and just nasty. When you're a fan of that kind of negativity, then you think its OK to act that way. Athletes are role models to everybody involved in the sport, old and young, male or female. You can be the most macho bastard on the planet, a real hard case, but if you're team is classy, they you'll be classy, if your team is a bunch of goons, you'll be a goon too. Cheering on Pronger the Leg Stomper means that you have to approve of said stomping. Its no different than Avs fans when they cheered on The Turtle, or Rangers fans who cheer on Avery.

You put goon hockey on the ice as your product and you'll collect goons as fans. You put classy hockey on the ice and you'll get classy fans, you put gritty hockey on the ice (Wings!) you'll get gritty fans.

What gets me is that there are players on the Ducks I like and respect as players. Hiller is impressing me a bunch, and his brutal honesty off the ice is great. Selanne has always been a great player and same for the Ducks captian, he's one of the best to play the game. How these guys can stand being on a team and coached to be so thuggie is beyond me.

Man, my brother used to live in Huntington Beach back in the early 00's (doesnt that sound weird) we would go to Ducks games when I got to town, Wings jerseys and all, no one ever said a word. They must be johnny--come--lately hockey fans who jumped on the Ducks bandwagon once they started winning (kind of like ALL the Wings fans who came out of the woodwork after 1997) cause I never experienced that, but as I said I havent been since '03.

All teams have good fans, all teams have bad fans. Alcohol, as was pointed out earlier, is to blame in 99% of all fan related fights and I'm sure was a factor in the deplorable behavior of the Ducks fans that got out of line and committed criminal acts last night.

To anyone that had a bad experience at the Ducks game last night I'm very sorry to hear that. Nobody should ever feel threatened or scared simply because of what team they root for, and physical violence is unacceptable.

I will pass along this information to the Ducks and urge them to increase parking lot security after the game for tomorrow night and Game Six (when if necessary). I would also urge you to report ALL incidents to the Arena security and/or the police immediately in order to get a record of the attacks and in hopes of catching the offending people.

Fixed it for you. :D