• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

EastLansingNative

Ducks Fans...

Rate this topic

My earlier posts weren't to justify the horrible treatment of the red wings fans but more so to point out it was coming from all ends but having experienced it myself I let my anger and outrage take over.

Gotta tip my hat to the wings for bringing their "A" game tonight. Unfortunately, more incidences occurred. Police were too busy taking care of victims instead of capturing the drunk jerks. I was standing near the first aid place while waiting for my guest to finish in the restroom and saw an older gentleman probably about 60 or 70 carried into the room with his head completely bandaged up and blood was still dripping. Just horrible. I asked the security guard if a lot of fights were going on and he just said "It's playoff hockey". Decided to wait inside till the crowds died down just to avoid any mayhem.

Although I did notice more policemen it obviously wasn't enough. I just hope the Honda center learns something and gets even more security there for game 6 because hoping the fans will be mature and civil seems out of the question.

WoW that's awful :(... stuff like this makes me sad. I'm glad you got home safely. And if you need a new ducks towel let me know. I can mail you one I got the other night.

I know the violence is on both sides. I also thought it important that you knew we weren't singling either side out.

Things were fine again tonight on my end. One guy behind me seemed to think chants involving "Detroit" and "poverty" were funny, but the rest of the section to their credit told him to kindly STFU. He didn't come back for the third anyway. There was one pretty nasty fight in the corner below me towards the end of the game, not cool.

From what I saw, Wings fans celebrated without rubbing it in, and Ducks fans weren't angry or mean tonight after the loss. Again, though, my playoff beard is pretty badass. You don't mess with the TMI :lol: Hope everyone had a safe and fun time tonight.

Edited by Third Man In

WoW that's awful :(... stuff like this makes me sad. I'm glad you got home safely. And if you need a new ducks towel let me know. I can mail you one I got the other night.

I know the violence is on both sides. I also thought it important that you knew we weren't singling either side out.

thanks for the towel offer, but I already have plenty from all the playoffs I've gone to. There were some posters on here saying the ducks are a dirty team and so are their fans. I was taken aback from that (well not the dirty team part *wink, wink*) But the true hockey fans on here, like yourself, promptly corrected them.

The true Red Wings fans that I've gotten to know at the games are great people. The guy that sat next to me tonight was very nice, he was from detroit but lives in southern ca. Anyways, he kept on getting up to use the restroom or get a beer so I had to stand up about 7 or 8 times to let him through during the game. Finally I told him that he might want to look into getting some Flomax because he's got a problem. He gave me a high five and laughed it off. That is a respectful fan, he didn't call me a name or get offended, just laughed it off because it was just a harmless joke.

If you ever wanted to see something, maple leaf gardens after a game. Pretty much dumped you right into the downtown area and you had to deal with huge mobs of Drunken Maple leaf fans. With practically the whole stadium walking in the same general direction. The Air Canada is in a much nicer spot.

If you ever wanted to see something, maple leaf gardens after a game. Pretty much dumped you right into the downtown area and you had to deal with huge mobs of Drunken Maple leaf fans. With practically the whole stadium walking in the same general direction. The Air Canada is in a much nicer spot.

I went to air canada last october nothing too exciting from the fans as far as rudeness goes. Went to Ottawa after that. Nice stadium, nice fans, the only thing that annoyed me was the drunk 20 year old girl in front of me. After that hit Montreal, that was a bit scary since the woman who sat next to us mentioned how rude some fans are to Americans but everyone was very pleasant. I was wearing a Selanne jersey and 2 guys stopped me who were from Finland and bought me a drink just because of my jersey. This one drunk guy in the row below me kept going "WHOOO!" for no reason and high fiving me.

Even though the ducks won in all 3 of the games I was very respectful and didn't rub it in afterwards. Made sure I had conversations with the people around me, complimented them on some good attributes of their team (every team has at least one... well except the wings-- lol j/k) and just overall was very respectful to the fans around me because I was a guest in their stadium. Did the same thing at the Staples center (Win), in Phoenix(Win), Dallas(Win), and San Jose(Loss, but we made up for it by kicking them out of the playoffs) and never had an issue. And my overall record on road trips are 6-1!!!

Next trip for next season, western Canada to continue the luck.

Gotta tip my hat to the wings for bringing their "A" game tonight. Unfortunately, more incidences occurred. Police were too busy taking care of victims instead of capturing the drunk jerks. I was standing near the first aid place while waiting for my guest to finish in the restroom and saw an older gentleman probably about 60 or 70 carried into the room with his head completely bandaged up and blood was still dripping. Just horrible. I asked the security guard if a lot of fights were going on and he just said "It's playoff hockey". Decided to wait inside till the crowds died down just to avoid any mayhem.

So a 60 year old gets tossed around? So even if I went there at the age of 15 (which is my age), I wouldn't be safe? They still would go after me? I go to a lot of Wings road games and I usually don't get in fights with people. It's more like joking around type stuff.

It's very sad to see games end up like this, people getting beat up. Do you know if most of the people that do this even remember what they were doing?

Fact of the matter is that there are bad peas in every pot. You can hear about such experiences in just about any arena.

That being said, it still sucks this happens but shows you that alcohol plus being an idiot in general don't mix well.

I have had good and bad experiences in several arenas.

I have had good and bad experiences in several arenas.

I have too, and it is with people that weren't even at the game. They were waiting outside to fight someone after a Wild vs Red Wings game in Minnesota. They came up to me and started to talk smack. I just walked away, because I would of got killed.

To tell the truth, I'm kind of glad I didn't go to Game 4... I went to Game 3 by myself and some of the crap I saw on the way out to my car was inexcusable. From both sides. I thought about getting tickets to Game 6, but after hearing how this stuff has continued (and even worsened), I'll stay home and watch it. Its pretty ridiculous, to say the least, that security is ok with all of this going on... they'd have to be, to let it continue to happen. Something must be done, or I'll have to restrict my Wings games to the Staples Center... I had no problems there back in March, after a 4-0 Wings win. And I probably won't go there alone, either.

Don't get me wrong, I love live hockey. And I hate the idea of missing out on seeing my favorite team. But its just not worth it, plain and simple.

Edited by dauidus

If you're a real hockey fan, you usually don't need to fret much in Anaheim or Los Angeles.

It's the Southern California bandwagon fans you have to watch out for, and in Anaheim they are more prevalent because the Ducks have won recently, the Kings have not.

But most Southern Californians hate it when the Wings (or conversely, Yanks or Sox or Bulls, in other leagues) come into town, because a lot of the Wings fans attending those games aren't real Wings fans either. Just a lot of bandwagon folks who give everyone a bad name.

(For that matter, from my understanding, most Anaheim fans hate Detroit as a team simply because of those types of fans in their area.)

I don't know, I've seen games all over, wearing visiting sweaters usually, and I've had great times connecting with other hockey fans across the league. I just avoid any overtly beer swilling bandwagoner who doesn't know offside from icing.

First post here, and I hope I don't get labeled as some troll. :P

As a season ticket holder and a die-hard Ducks fan, I would to apologize to ANY fan of the opposing team that gets attacked at Honda Center. It is disgusting and it shouldn't happen, no matter what team is playing, and what the outcome is. As this is a Wings message board, I'm sure there aren't threads about Ducks fans venting about bad encounters with Wings fans, but it goes both way. Take a look on the Ducks message boards, because Red Wings fans aren't innocent angels (I am not trying to justify any bad behavior like I've been reading about on here).

I'm a trash-talker at the games, and I'm sure I use my share of profanity. Although, I would never physically attack another fan of any team (which is hard for me because I have an awful temper), which might not be surprising because I am a 17 year old girl, I might be tough and could hold my own for a couple seconds but I'd get my butt handed to me. If I had seen any of these acts occur, being a Wings fan or especially a Ducks fan being the instigator, I would have said something and called security.

It's a shame that these things happen, and it labels ALL of Anaheim's fans as classless and dirty (Sounds like our team eh? ;) ). But one thing I'm sure you all know is that every team has fans like that, even the Red Wings. I've been to games in L.A., San Jose, and even Phoenix where I have gotten profanities screamed at me by grown men (I have thick skin, so it doesn't bother me especially because I don't keep my mouth shut). I've seen fights go down, cars damaged, out of control drunk people at many different games from many different fans. Unfortunately, that's what happens. Most of the time those people aren't "fans", just bandwagoners or people looking for a drink and a good time.

Again, I am NOT trying to justify any violent behavior from Ducks fans, I just think that maybe some of you are a little emotional about it because it is the post season, and let's face it, the Anaheim vs. Detroit rivalry has gotten pretty ugly.

If any of you attend game 6 at the Pond and experience some nasty Ducks fans, come on up to section 425, and let me know. I'll take care of them. ;) I want all visiting fans to enjoy the Honda Center atmosphere and be able to cheer for their team without having beers chucked at you (wishful thinking).

Again, sorry for all these bad encounters. It's disgusting to see, as a Ducks fan, and as a hockey fan in general.

I was at the game last night and sitting in section 429 and there was no trouble in or around that section. I was pretty suprised no one heckeld or threw peanuts at me. Overall it seemed a little bit more tame( as in not as much verbal bashing and fights) then other previous wings-ducks playoff games. Maybe I was in a good section though.

I was at the game last night and sitting in section 429 and there was no trouble in or around that section. I was pretty suprised no one heckeld or threw peanuts at me. Overall it seemed a little bit more tame( as in not as much verbal bashing and fights) then other previous wings-ducks playoff games. Maybe I was in a good section though.

Probably because of what it said on the scoreboard. :P Ducks "fans" tend to get quiet real fast when they aren't winning. I screamed at my own section last night for not chanting, standing up, cheering. They basically sat their like zombies.

Game 4 was pretty cool, until some duck fan bundled up one of those little orange towels and threw it at a 10 year old girl red wing fan at the end of the game right after zetterberg got the empty netter and then ran out of the stadium like a *****. he was probably aiming at me but he ended up hitting the girl with it.

Im sorry to here that you guys had a bad time at Honda Center, but I wouldn't be expecting a warm welcoming when your coming in and throwing octopus everywhere and starting fights. Stay Classy. Hopefully your next experience is better.