• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Here's to positive thinking

Rate this topic

yes.

the wings will not win 3 straight with datsyuk and hossa getting completely shutdown and outscored by a line of benders. the wings will not win 3 straight with a 3rd pairing of lebda-chelios getting icetime. the wings will not win 3 straight when samuelsson is firing all of your powerplay shots.

it's not going to happen.

Excuse me for being an optimist, but both losses were 1 goal games and the Wings have pretty much sucked for the majority of the games. If they play with a little more passion they can get it done with these players. Not saying it will be easy, but it can be done.

I wouldn't rule out Wisnewski until there's an official word. If it is a pulmonary contusion, it may not take long to recover (although I don't know for sure, but my understanding is it doesn't take much longer to heal than a bruise, unless complications arise). If he is out, its still not going to be an easy game for the Wings, but pressuring their defense early on will become that much more crucial.

I like the idea of Leino in on the fourth line, as that line has been the only one to consistently get opportunities and pressure their D. If the Wings put a scorer on that line, those chances might convert into a goal, which is all the extra help they need to win a game.

it's not going to happen.

I'm guessing you're someone that threw in the towel in the first round last year when Hasek was replaced by Osgood. You can't win a championship without facing a little adversity. That's all this is. This is a championship team, they'll get through it.

I'm of the opinion of putting Helm on the top line in place of Homer...Nothing against Homer, but what our top line needs is some speed/tenacity/getting into Hiller's face...Homer can do this while on the pp, but doesn't possess the skating ability to match Dats/Hossa/etc/etc.

What's the worst that can happen - Helm buzzes around the opposition, & hits anything wearing an opposing sweater/digging out loose pucks in the corners while Dats/Hossa work their way closer to the net for a quality scoring chance on Hiller?

I appreciate your interest of mixing it up, but Helm is not a 1st liner. period.

What I would like to see once in awhile, is that when we're down, with like 5 minutes left, just throw Hossa-Datsyuk-Zetterberg out there for one shift...

as a whole, I think we need to go to:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Hossa

Hudler-Helm-Cleary

Maltby-Kopecky/Draper-Samuelsson

Edited by stevkrause

By the way, heres some realistic positive thinking.

Anaheim's #6 Dman is fricking Sheldon Brookbank. Their #7 is an injured Brett Hedican. They traded away Huskins and Montador at the deadline, and unless I'm mistaken, their new #7 is Mikkelson. A 21 year old rookie who has 34 games of NHL experience.

An Anaheim squad that was once 3 paird deep, is now just 2 pairs deep. Say hello to a Brookbank-Mikkelson bottom pairing. In other words - say hello to Pronger and Niedermayer running on empty for half the game, since theres no way Carlyle is putting out those 2 together on the ice when we have 3 lines that can score.

If there ever was a turning point in a series against the Anaheim Ducks, its when they FINALLY have key injuries to their D. If we grind out a W in game 4, and get Rafalski back for game 5, with Wiz still out, this series is ours.

So have you actually watched them play? Or are you saying because they are rookies, that they are not good?

# Pos Player GP G A P +/- PIM PP SH GW S S%

60 D Mikkel 34 0 2 2 0 17 0 0 0 19 0.0

53 D Fester 40 0 5 5 5 18 0 0 0 15 0.0

They are not horrible!

if that is the case, then it's time to shake things up and go with a 5.5 d-man roster... and I say 5.5 meaning dress both Lebda and Meech and have them split duties, with other guys taking more ice time

I think that Chelios had an okay game last night, and it was his best of the post-season (not saying a whole lot, I know), and I thought that Lebda didn't play that well at all (mistake which led to a goal, missed hits etc.). So I don't think it's that simple...

Why is Meech such a bad option? If he an Chelios are not capable of playing in the playoffs why were they on the team all year. Why not bring in Jakub Kindl? He could have been getting ready for this situation all year long.

Same with Leino, he could be running on 4th line that can score. Maybe someone could help our most valuable 4th liner Helm.

I think that Chelios is much better than Meech. Chelios was nasty in the corners last night, and has good positional sense and lots of experience. Meech is quicker, but overall I don't think he is better than Chelios.

And our 4th line doesn't need to score, they've played very well this series. Our 2nd and 3rd lines need to score.

I'm of the opinion of putting Helm on the top line in place of Homer...Nothing against Homer, but what our top line needs is some speed/tenacity/getting into Hiller's face...Homer can do this while on the pp, but doesn't possess the skating ability to match Dats/Hossa/etc/etc.

What's the worst that can happen - Helm buzzes around the opposition, & hits anything wearing an opposing sweater/digging out loose pucks in the corners while Dats/Hossa work their way closer to the net for a quality scoring chance on Hiller?

As someone else said, Helm is not a top line player. While quick and physical, he doesn't have good hands at all, and I'm not sure that that is what Datsyuk and Hossa need. I agree that Holmström hasn't been that effective, but that has more to do with Hossa and Datsyuk and the defense not being able to keep the puck in the zone or put up any sustained pressure (apart from 1 shift in the entire game).

I wouldn't rule out Wisnewski until there's an official word. If it is a pulmonary contusion, it may not take long to recover (although I don't know for sure, but my understanding is it doesn't take much longer to heal than a bruise, unless complications arise). If he is out, its still not going to be an easy game for the Wings, but pressuring their defense early on will become that much more crucial.

They announced he will not be released from the hospital until tomorrow. i would be shocked if he got clearance to play tomorrow night the same day he is released, but stranger things have happened, like aberrrent whistle blowing. :rolleyes:

p.s. best thing Datsyuk has done this series.. ;)

Edited by RockyMountainWingGal

Problem is that many of those 39 shots are of the low % variety with many either hitting Hiller in the Ducks logo, or the glass behind him...The Wings are a better team - especially during the reg season where penalties are plentiful, & our pp can do some damage...So far the refs are letting some things go (benefiting the Ducks), we're getting no production at even strength (advantage Ducks), & our boys aren't creating chances down low/around the crease while the Ducks are.

Do I think the Wings have a shot at beating the Ducks? Damn straight I do, but in order for us to take this series the Wings have gotta step up their play, & get a few lucky bounces.

Shots that don't hit the net or goalie are counted as missed shots, and don't get counted toward the shot total you see on the box score.

If there ever was a turning point in a series against the Anaheim Ducks, its when they FINALLY have key injuries to their D. If we grind out a W in game 4, and get Rafalski back for game 5, with Wiz still out, this series is ours.

And if Wiz's ribs are injured and he does return, he will be playing with severe pain. If any of you have ever injured your ribs before and tried to play hockey, you'll know how much of a disadvantage it can be.♦

im not trying to piss you off, but i think there is a slight problem with your idea. never mind the fact that helm isnt a first liner, i do like his speed and tenacity and it woudnt be the worst idea ever to add him to the top line. but that means homer is on the 4th line which would pretty much render their current level of play useless. i just dont see a Maltby-Kopecky-Homer line being very effective as a checking line. the reason the 4th line and Helm are effective is because of Helm.

Yes it is absolutely. 2007 Wings down 2-1 to Sharks and 30 seconds from going down 3-1 playing in San Jose. The Wings score, win in OT and rattle off 3 straight wins for a 6-4 series victory.

I see 3 straight Wings victories....

Arghhhh!

The Ducks are NOT the Sharks.

Totally different animal.

Shots that don't hit the net or goalie are counted as missed shots, and don't get counted toward the shot total you see on the box score.

That is 100% untrue, in this case.

I counted at least TEN shots last night, from my seat at the Ponda, that were either high, wide, hit the SIDE of the net, or never made it through, that went up on the shot clock IMMEDIATELY.

And this wasn't the first Game it's happened.

The guys stats are SEVERELY padded.

That is 100% untrue, in this case.

I counted at least TEN shots last night, from my seat at the Ponda, that were either high, wide, hit the SIDE of the net, or never made it through, that went up on the shot clock IMMEDIATELY.

And this wasn't the first Game it's happened.

The guys stats are SEVERELY padded.

but is that used as the official count?