• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HoweHatTrick

Kenny on The Hour with Bettman

Rate this topic

At one point during the show today, Bettman will say the following:

"We have the best officials in all of sports. They're not perfect, but they get it right 99.9% of the time."

<_<

hahahahahahaha How many times has he said that damn quote.

At one point during the show today, Bettman will say the following:

"We have the best officials in all of sports. They're not perfect, but they get it right 99.9% of the time."

<_<

I'd take Tim Donaghy over the blind incompetence of Brad Watson.

Bettman is taking about the goal/no goal by hossa. Caller from Mi asked why not use instant replay for non goals to check. He said becasue they don't want to make the games 4 hours long and that in most cases the ref has a better view than what a camera would ("distorted angles"). :confused: Also talked about letting the play run for a sec or two more and Gary said that Goalies would get injured from being whacked by a stick...didn't mention Ozzy getting bowled over.

Bettman is taking about the goal/no goal by hossa. Caller from Mi asked why not use instant replay for non goals to check. He said becasue they don't want to make the games 4 hours long and that in most cases the ref has a better view than what a camera would ("distorted angles"). :confused: Also talked about letting the play run for a sec or two more and Gary said that Goalies would get injured from being whacked by a stick...didn't mention Ozzy getting bowled over.

God, he's so full of s***.

EXACTLY. That guy is such a retard. I have no idea why he still has a job. Osgood has the puck, get's slashed, puck comes out, puck still in front of Osgood, gets run into, puck goes into the net. Perfectly clean goal for the officials and Bettman. Hiller has no clue where the puck is and it is NOT underneath him. The puck is in clear sight for the whole world to see EXCEPT the OUT OF POSITION Official, and the play gets blown dead without any hint of hesitation for the official. Complete Bullsh!t. Bettman should just ***** say it. I don't like Detroit. They boo me. So I don't want them to win. That guy is a piece of grade A sh!t.

Fan: "So why isn't instant replay allowed?"

Bettman: "Well, we don't want the games to be 4 hours long. And what I mean when I say that we don't want the games to go 4 hours long is that our reffing is typically so bad, that if we review one play, people would probably want the constant other f***-ups from the referees called. So if you think, by saying that the game would take 4 hours long, that I'm insinuating that my reffing staff is terrible. Well you're right. Er, wrong. And thats consequently why we prefer to only review those goals that are really controversial. Let me give you an example. If a puck deflects off a players skate without a distinct kicking motion, onto the skate of the opposition, and into the net, we feel those are the times where we should slow the game down to a dead halt while we review our rule books and add an extra 10 minutes to the game. In situations where a referee is out of position, the fact that humans are incapable of having distorted views, as we all know, and cameras always do, as we all know, then clearly any human interpretation should triumph over the cameras. As Coach Carlyle said the other night, cameras don't lie. Er, I mean. Referees don't lie. Er, something like that. But while the camera is right 100% of the time, our referees are right 99.9% of the time, and when you add in the fact that they're human, that makes them right 101% of the time. So thats why we don't go to video review."

Fan: "But Commissioner Bettm - "

Bettman: "HEY so lets talk about how great Phoenix is actually doing..."

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Replay needs to be used when human error is consistently a factor.

These two occurences are in goaltender interference and blowing the whistle when the puck is not covered.

These are two replays that will take a maximum of one minute for the boys in Toronto to figure out. The games would not be four hours long.

Fan: "So why isn't instant replay allowed?"

Bettman: "Well, we don't want the games to be 4 hours long. And what I mean when I say that we don't want the games to go 4 hours long is that our reffing is typically so bad, that if we review one play, people would probably want the constant other f***-ups from the referees called. So if you think, by saying that the game would take 4 hours long, that I'm insinuating that my reffing staff is terrible. Well you're right. Er, wrong. And thats consequently why we prefer to only review those goals that are really controversial. Let me give you an example. If a puck deflects off a players skate without a distinct kicking motion, onto the skate of the opposition, and into the net, we feel those are the times where we should slow the game down to a dead halt while we review our rule books and add an extra 10 minutes to the game. In situations where a referee is out of position, the fact that humans are incapable of having distorted views, as we all know, and cameras always do, as we all know, then clearly any human interpretation should triumph over the cameras. As Coach Carlyle said the other night, cameras don't lie. Er, I mean. Referees don't lie. Er, something like that. But while the camera is right 100% of the time, our referees are right 99.9% of the time, and when you add in the fact that they're human, that makes them right 101% of the time. So thats why we don't go to video review."

Fan: "But Commissioner Bettm - "

Bettman: "HEY so lets talk about how great Phoenix is actually doing..."

:lol:

This is great!

I'm just surprised that the players and the owners haven't forced Bettman out. He's absolutely horrible at what he does and yet everybody in the NHL tolerating him.

I think the "intent to blow the whistle" really is a joke. If they'd just wake up, they could make it black and white and say, okay, let's review the goal and see if the audible sound of the whistle is heard before the puck crosses the line. Case closed... That way the ref is still part of the decision making process and game 3's goal actually counts even though it was a mistake to blow the whistle that early. They review every goal no matter what now anyway, so it's not going to make games four hours long.

Its all bureaucratic bulls*** with the review system in any league. Its always the "we don't want the game to last forever" excuse. Most goals are clean cut good goals, if you can spend an extra 5 minutes to make the right call on those fuzzy goals that may, hypothetically allow a team to clearly tie a tight game in a tight playoff series, that would be a drop in a bucket. They always use this argument like we'll be reviewing every faceoff and penalty.

Bottom line: Its pathetic when we have a system to review and it fails the way it did in Game 3. When there is a situation when every person watching in several countries and those in the arena can see a free puck and then a good goal and ONE person decides in a split second that he can't see the puck, and that split second of obvious mistake takes priority over the obvious truth, the NHL has failed. Let the NHL be revolutionary for a change and add an actual "common sense" clause, where in if there is a glaring obvious mistake it can be overturned instead of having playoff series decided by a single man's mistake.

Imagine if the day after we were talking about how well the NHL system worked because of common sense and how epic the back to back overtime games were between such closely matched opponents, instead of how blown the call was, how robbed the Wings were, and how lucky the Ducks were. Adds a stink to everything.

Ugh. I don't get giddy on slamming Bettman 24-7 like some do in here but this is pitiful. Even if he just said something like, "It's a shame that a game like this had to be determined by such a ruling even though this is the rule," I would be all right with that but he doesn't even come close to doing such a thing.

Ugh. I don't get giddy on slamming Bettman 24-7 like some do in here but this is pitiful. Even if he just said something like, "It's a shame that a game like this had to be determined by such a ruling even though this is the rule," I would be all right with that but he doesn't even come close to doing such a thing.

QFT.

That is exactly why I'm so pissed. He can never just admit his refs f***ed up. He argues for his guys even in the face of obvious failure. He would rather proceed under the illusion his refs are perfect than simply say "they are human, humans make mistakes, and that call was a mistake".

My quetion for Bettman would have been, "Why wasn't Hossa called for a penalty for shooting the puck after the play was obviously dead?"

I don't tink that even Bettman would have been stupid enough to answer that question, since the only possible answer points out how stupid the rule is in the first place.

"Play till you think there should be a whistle boys, all the way to where you think there should be a whistle. Just like old time hockey boy's, just like the old times."

Edited by Taosuntzu