• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DMAC 25

Colorado or Anaheim?

Rate this topic

Now: Anaheim

90s: Colorado

Right now I hate the Ducks more than any other team in the league by a wide margin. The seem to get away with murder against the Wings and like others have said, when the Avs beat us it was because they were a better team, which is more of a respectful hate. Whenever the Ducks beat us its due to gooning, poor calls, poor goaltending, and usually overall robbery.

This isn't even remotely close to being in the same galaxy as Wings-Avs.

QFT.

I can't stand the Ducks, but the feelings I had toward the Avalanche from '95-'02 will probably never be matched by any team ever again. Homer glasses off, that was the best rivarly in all of sports. Fans of other teams (and other sports for that matter) will even attest to this.

There is nothing in hockey that currently rivals the diveavalanche Red Wing rivalry of the 90s. Nothing close

Nothing even CLOSE to the Avs/Wings rivalry....

whenever the Avs beat us you always felt like it was because they had the better team that time around. Losing to the Ducks always feels like a game we should never lose.

Exactly. In 1996, the Wings came off their first Cup final in ages and a record-setting regular season. The Avs just owned them that playoff series, and Le Turtle smashed Drapers face for good measure. Detroit couldn't figure them out for the first three regular season games the next year. Anaheim's a good rivalry, they've got some great players, and their style is pretty effective against the Wings, but I've never felt that if the Wings play their best they won't win.

When I think of rivalries I think of it more as a sustained hatred. I'm not saying that colorado wasn't a rival in the 90's but it's hardly on the same level that say the Hawks/Wings are rivals. These small flare ups with whatever team is the flavor of the day isn't so much a rivalry in my view. We all hated Colorado but now that they are nothing who really cares about them. The same will happen with the Ducks. It doesn't matter how good the Wings and Blackhawks are, there will always be that mutual hatred.

My two cents

I agree with just about everyone here.

Nothing will ever match DET - COL. To this day I can honestly say I still dislike all the players on the Avs, other than Sakic.

I really dislike the ducks and I hope Pronger gets a stick up his ass, but I cant say I hate them the way I did the avs.

QFT.

I can't stand the Ducks, but the feelings I had toward the Avalanche from '95-'02 will probably never be matched by any team ever again. Homer glasses off, that was the best rivarly in all of sports. Fans of other teams (and other sports for that matter) will even attest to this.

All of this, in capital letters. Those two days after Forsberg's OT goal in Game 5 back in 2002 were probably the darkest in my sports fan life to this point. The fact that they were on the verge of beating us for a 4th time in 5 series, and ending our dream '02 season with that amazing team, was just way too much. It looked like we were never going to beat Roy. It was terrible.

That, of course, made the next two games so, so sweet. I don't think that 7-0 game will ever be topped.

Anyway, all that to say that I completely agree with NFM.

It's not even close. The Ducks are getting most hated status because it's the playoffs, the shot to Hudler, and the blown goal; along with knocking the Wings out in 2007.

That is nothing compared to Colorado from 95 - 02.

I dislike the Ducks...but I don't hate the Ducks.

As a Wings fan now a days, it seems as if whoever their playing at the moment is all of the sudden the rival team.

I think the rivalry between Colorado and Detroit was the biggest true rivalry I have seen. I bet if you took a poll in the fan forums these days of Anaheim, San Jose, Chicago, Columbus, and Nashville, they may say, "yeah detroit is our rival"!

I lived in San Jose and they would definitely pick Anaheim or Dallas over us as their top rival. I have one Sharks fan I keep in touch with who hates the Wings and is rooting for us big time right now. We are definitely near the top, I'm just saying they wouldn't pick us if they had to pick one.

It is two different big rivalries in two different generations but you cannot compare Avs and Ducks.

Back to 90s, the Avs and the Wings were almost ALL-STAR teams while now's rivalry is based on the salary cap. The thing made the Avs and the Wings rivalry more intense was

-Son of a bi*ch that Lemieux made unsportmanlike move on Draper

-Vernie, Dom, Ozzie vs Roy

-McCarty, Draper, Ozzie, Maltby vs Lemieux, Deadmarsh, Roy, Forsberg

-Yzerman vs Sakic

-Konstantinov before misery accident just destroyed Lemieux

i would say u cant compare the 2. AVS are the rivals.

but- this is the nhl new era. looks like the avs cant hang and it would be intresting if the ducks took there spot!

It is two different big rivalries in two different generations but you cannot compare Avs and Ducks.

Back to 90s, the Avs and the Wings were almost ALL-STAR teams while now's rivalry is based on the salary cap. The thing made the Avs and the Wings rivalry more intense was

-Son of a bi*ch that Lemieux made unsportmanlike move on Draper

-Vernie, Dom, Ozzie vs Roy

-McCarty, Draper, Ozzie, Maltby vs Lemieux, Deadmarsh, Roy, Forsberg

-Yzerman vs Sakic

-Konstantinov before misery accident just destroyed Lemieux

This is an excellent point about the salary cap and what was going on in hockey at the time. I had a guy on my hockey team here in Minnesota who started going off on me about how he HATES the Red Wings because they're the "Yankees of hockey". Needless to say, the guy clearly hasn't paid attention to the NHL post-lockout, and I proceeded to lay into him for several minutes in front of the rest of my team. But that perception still remains. Sometimes, I wonder if the NHL will ever seem as "big" as it did to me in the late 1990's. It's almost impossible for a Detroit fan to evaluate the state of hockey objectively because of the euphoria of Cup wins in 1997 and 1998. But it did seem like there was something to be said for super teams being put together like Detroit and Colorado and seeing what felt like nearly a dozen future Hall of Famers playing in their prime across both teams. I try to explain to people who aren't from Detroit how big that rivalry was and how big the NHL was to Detroit fans at the time, and they can't even begin to comprehend it. Especially here in Minnesota where the NHL didn't even exist from 1993 to 2000.

To me, I don't think anything will ever surpass the Colorado/Detroit Rivalry from 1995 to 2002 in our lifetime. I say not just because of the Blood Bath, not just because of Roy, Lemieux, and all of the combined talent of those games, but because it was the perfect storm of things coming together. Like Patrick Roy getting traded to Colorado BECAUSE the Wings beat the Canadiens 12-2 and his coach refused to take him out of the game. Like the disappointment of getting creamed in the '95 Finals, multiplied by losing to Colorado in '96. Watching a city like Denver get a cup in their first year, while the Wings had waited for over 40 years.

But it was also a complex rivalry in that you did respect the talent on Colorado, and the anger I had for Lemieux, Foote, Roy, and some of their goons did not extend towards Sakic and some of the other players, including Forsberg. And while we hated the Denver fans b/c of their team and their obnoxiousness, there was an implicit respect for an NHL city west of the Mississippi that actually CARED about this sport and this rivalry. Without Colorado in the way, Detroit may have accomplished even more than it did, but I would argue that it would've meant much, much less.

I lived in San Jose and they would definitely pick Anaheim or Dallas over us as their top rival. I have one Sharks fan I keep in touch with who hates the Wings and is rooting for us big time right now. We are definitely near the top, I'm just saying they wouldn't pick us if they had to pick one.

And, as a Detroit fan, I would agree with you that there is not any particular rivalry between Detroit and San Jose. The only negative memory I have of San Jose is the early round exit over 15 years ago when Osgood turned over the puck (amazing that Ozzie has played that long, isn't it?).

I disagree that you need to have fighting to have a great rivalry. The Colorado rivalry is popularly remembered for the fights, but the rivalry remained relevant because the teams kept meeting up in the playoffs, and there were plenty of memorable moments (like Roy's 2002 Statute of Liberty--the last hurrah) that have nothing to do with fighting.

In the "new NHL", though, a team like Pittsburgh or New Jersey could never be a rival b/c you might see them 2 times all season. I have animosity towards Pittsburgh when I see them play, but really the odds of two teams getting all the way through their respective conferences several times in a period of a few years isn't likely to happen. Even if Pittsburgh and Detroit were to meet again in this year's final, that "rivalry" wouldn't have any legs because there simply wouldn't be any opportunities to play them after that. By contrast, if you have two quasi dynastic teams in the same conference (like Detroit and Colorado), it's almost inevitable that they'll play each other in almost every playoff season.

This is an excellent point about the salary cap and what was going on in hockey at the time. I had a guy on my hockey team here in Minnesota who started going off on me about how he HATES the Red Wings because they're the "Yankees of hockey". Needless to say, the guy clearly hasn't paid attention to the NHL post-lockout, and I proceeded to lay into him for several minutes in front of the rest of my team. But that perception still remains. Sometimes, I wonder if the NHL will ever seem as "big" as it did to me in the late 1990's. It's almost impossible for a Detroit fan to evaluate the state of hockey objectively because of the euphoria of Cup wins in 1997 and 1998. But it did seem like there was something to be said for super teams being put together like Detroit and Colorado and seeing what felt like nearly a dozen future Hall of Famers playing in their prime across both teams. I try to explain to people who aren't from Detroit how big that rivalry was and how big the NHL was to Detroit fans at the time, and they can't even begin to comprehend it. Especially here in Minnesota where the NHL didn't even exist from 1993 to 2000.

To me, I don't think anything will ever surpass the Colorado/Detroit Rivalry from 1995 to 2002 in our lifetime. I say not just because of the Blood Bath, not just because of Roy, Lemieux, and all of the combined talent of those games, but because it was the perfect storm of things coming together. Like Patrick Roy getting traded to Colorado BECAUSE the Wings beat the Canadiens 12-2 and his coach refused to take him out of the game. Like the disappointment of getting creamed in the '95 Finals, multiplied by losing to Colorado in '96. Watching a city like Denver get a cup in their first year, while the Wings had waited for over 40 years.

But it was also a complex rivalry in that you did respect the talent on Colorado, and the anger I had for Lemieux, Foote, Roy, and some of their goons did not extend towards Sakic and some of the other players, including Forsberg. And while we hated the Denver fans b/c of their team and their obnoxiousness, there was an implicit respect for an NHL city west of the Mississippi that actually CARED about this sport and this rivalry. Without Colorado in the way, Detroit may have accomplished even more than it did, but I would argue that it would've meant much, much less.

Great, great post. I think this is the best summation of those years that I've read.

OMG! THIS! :clap:

Well spoken, sir. Altough I disagree with the bolded section. Forsberg was a very skilled player, and very clutch scorer, but he was also a dirty player and was always trying to start stuff with our smaller forwards. I'll never forget, my favorite part of the big brawl in '97, more so than D-Mac pummeling Le Turtle, was Igor Larionov landing a haymaker on Forsberg's ugly mug after getting the business for most of the preceding shift.

Anaheim has a long way to go before being considered a real rivalry, because as was stated more eloquently than I could, there is hatred, but no mutual respect. The ducks do not respect anyone, nor do their fans. They play like goons, and they only succeed when the refs look the other way. Whereas, our current lineup is made up of players who, with a few exceptions, would just as soon take a licking and let the power-play do the talking. I thoroughly enjoyed Ericsson standing up for himself and not letting Corey "the Fairy" Perry get away with his after-whistle antics, and while I cheered for Kopecky's effort, there was not much he could do once the punches started flying last night. Until I see Datsyuk or Zetterberg drop the gloves, this will never be close to the rivalry that existed between the Wings and the 'Lanche.

Nowadays, I hate Anaheim far, far more than I do Colorado. The Avalanche are such a joke of a team nowadays that they aren't worth the time and energy it would take to hate them. Anaheim, on the other hand, can go f*** themselves.

Nothing compares to the Wings/Avs rivalry. At its peak...it was the best rivalry in any sport. Between The Turtle and Roy, there isn't a player that a Wings fan could hate more (still hate them).

Hoping that Roy takes the head coach for the Avs as I get to hate the Avs all over again (umm I mentioned that I hate Roy, right????)