• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

ATTA BOY KOPECKY

Rate this topic

I don't care what anyone says, that was hands down the toughest, grittiest game the son-of-a-b has played these playoffs and even though he lost (handedly) to Beauchemin, the fact that he even stood up and actually fought, gets HIGH praises in my book, especially since we exchanged a 4th liner for one of their top 4 d-men for a nice 5 minute sit down, with less than 9 minutes left and the Ducks down 2 goals...

Kopecky -

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I don't care what anyone says, that was hands down the toughest, grittiest game the son-of-a-b has played these playoffs and even though he lost (handedly) to Beauchemin, the fact that he even stood up and actually fought, gets HIGH praises in my book, especially since we exchanged a 4th liner for one of their top 4 d-men for a nice 5 minute sit down, with less than 9 minutes left and the Ducks down 2 goals...

Kopecky -

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

The Ducks just score to make it a two goal game and almost exactly a minute after this, as an unproven fighter, decides to drop the gloves? Why are you giving the Ducks ANY chance at gaining momentum and letting the crowd get back into it?

I can appreciate the effort, but the timing was atrocious.

I liked seeing him play physical and aggressive and taking out one of their top 4 d-men for 5 minutes. I question the timing of that seeing as they had just scored a goal and then it gave the crowd another reason to get back in the game. Nothing resulted out of it thankfully but I question the timing.

I liked seeing him play physical and aggressive and taking out one of their top 4 d-men for 5 minutes. I question the timing of that seeing as they had just scored a goal and then it gave the crowd another reason to get back in the game. Nothing resulted out of it thankfully but I question the timing.

If anything, I disagree that the timing was anything BUT good... Pronger and Neidemayer had JUST gotten done with a shift and Beauchemin just got on, after the fight they were short and the tired D-men had to go right back out there.... plus, we're not a young, inexperienced team, losing a fight like that doesn't swing momentum, if anything, it raises ours because his teammates realize what he just did - swap a 4th liner for a top 4 d-man with a relatively close lead at that point... did they score again?

I think that says it all.

Kopecky -

At first I agreed with the VS announcer who thought the timing would favor the Ducks, but then the color-guy pointed out that imbalance. Could Kopy really have taken that into consideration? If so, he deserves major kudos.

You know, for all the announcers denouncing what Kopecky did giving by "giving the ANA fans something to cheer about", they seemingly didn't realize the trade-off that took place and how it helped the Wings.

By Kopecky and Beauchemin dropping the mits, it took the Ducks number 4 defenseman off the ice for 5+ minutes with less than 9 minutes remaining. Kopecky is a borderline 4th liner who's presence wouldn't really be missed as much as Beauchemin's. Not only this, the Ducks were playing minus Wisniewski last night, so technically they lost their number 3 defenseman until there was less than 4 minutes in regulation. While I agree that you don't want to get the crowd into it, it was a great trade-off for the Wings. The announcers didn't seem to get that.

Edit: :lol: I see henrik40 beat me to it. I didn't even notice your post until after mine.

I like-a da fights. I figured on it being bad timing as well, but as has already been pointed out, the Wings scored again, the duck did not. Kopy's got a shiner to show for it, series is best of three now with home ice to our team, I'm saying why the hell not? Good show, Kopy! Thanks for trying!

(Why am I the only one that remembers that when speaking about the duck, it must be lowercase and non-plural?)

If anything, I disagree that the timing was anything BUT good... Pronger and Neidemayer had JUST gotten done with a shift and Beauchemin just got on, after the fight they were short and the tired D-men had to go right back out there.... plus, we're not a young, inexperienced team, losing a fight like that doesn't swing momentum, if anything, it raises ours because his teammates realize what he just did - swap a 4th liner for a top 4 d-man with a relatively close lead at that point... did they score again?

I think that says it all.

Point taken.

Kopecky -

:clap::clap::clap:

LOL! I thought the same thing. Beauchemin's an idiot. You're only 2 goals down with half a period to play and you take yourself out for 5 minutes? Especially when you're one of their best players.

I'll take that tradeoff any day of the week.

Good job Kopecky! You got dummied but you earned a lot of respect and got a great player off the ice!

Guest micah
By Kopecky and Beauchemin dropping the mits, it took the Duck's number 4 defenseman off the ice for 5+ minutes with less than 9 minutes remaining. Kopecky is a borderline 4th liner who's presence wouldn't really be missed as much as Beauchemin's. Not only this, the Ducks were playing minus Wisniewski last night, so technically they lost their number 3 defenseman until there was less than 4 minutes in regulation. While I agree that you don't want to get the crowd into it, it was a great trade-off for the Wings. The announcers didn't seem to get that.

Yup, an awesome trade-off at the perfect time. Kopy wasn't going to be on the ice anymore in that game and he knew it, so he took one of The Ducks valuable players off with him. It was a smart, selfless move. Hopefully his teammates noticed - especially Holmstrom.

Edited by NeverForgetMac25

Blackhawks :blink:

Just kiddin' - agree with the trade off concerning Beauchemin/Kopecky...Too bad Kopay didn't do better in the scrap; IMO it was brutal!

that was the only downside, he really did get his butt handed to him, but it's the effort that matters the most and the courage, from a guy who for the most part, has been lacking it this year

I also liked it for

- he dropped the gloves and squared off. How often do we get to see that, period?

- bye-bye to one of their top D for 5 mins. Bad timing? I think not with 6 mins and change to go in the game. That and it just gives Pronger/Niedermayer that much more time on the ice that they don't really need.

Thanks Kopy!

Part of me applauds the fight, for taking a crucial defenseman out at a crucial time. Maybe not too smart on Beauchemin's part, he should know better than to fight a fourth-liner. But the other part of me says you definitely do not want to fire up the crowd at that moment. That was my initial reaction - why are we fighting now when the last thing we want to do is give Anaheim any kind of spark or reason to get motivated?

Either way though, I've liked what I've seen from Kopecky these playoffs. Looks like a quality agitator. I don't think you can question his heart.

that was the only downside, he really did get his butt handed to him, but it's the effort that matters the most and the courage, from a guy who for the most part, has been lacking it this year

He said he didn't realize that Beauchamin was left handed. lol. I bet he won't make that mistake again.

I half expected to read this thread and find out Kopecky was concussed, and being congratulated for taking himself out of the lineup! :hehe:

Seriously though, if it had worked out differently we would be crucifying Kopecky right now, regardless of whether the Kopecky-for-Beauchemin trade is a good one. I also have a hard time believing this was a conscious effort to eliminate one of their top D-men for 5 minutes, but I guess it's possible. It worked out fine this time, but I'd just as soon not have that happen again.

And Downey, now that you're back, please give Kopecky some lessons ... that was brutal.

He said he didn't realize that Beauchamin was left handed. lol. I bet he won't make that mistake again.

Beauchemin's very underrated in the fisticuffs. Iginla found that out the hard way 2 seasons ago.

Here's Kopecky's take on the fight:

"He was cross-checking me in front of the net and then he asked me if I wanted to go. I didn't back off from the challenge,'' Kopecky said. "It was a good chance for me to take him (off), and that's what I did.''

Kopecky said he was surprised that Beauchemin punches with his left hand.

"I didn't get a good grip right off the hop, didn't protect myself really good,'' Kopecky said.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...cky_will_u.html

It sounds like he considered the trade off of getting Beauchamin off the ice before he fought him.

Any time any player for the Wings stands up and drops the gloves, I applaud him for it.

I may look back and analyze it and see that it was bad timing, or a mismatch or something later, but at least he's not afraid to get his hands dirty. I guess I applaud the balls it takes to trade punches.

That said, I hope Kokopuffs gets some serious time with a trainer. He's got the size to be a tough guy, he just needs the skill.

Any time any player for the Wings stands up and drops the gloves, I applaud him for it.

I may look back and analyze it and see that it was bad timing, or a mismatch or something later, but at least he's not afraid to get his hands dirty. I guess I applaud the balls it takes to trade punches.

That said, I hope Kokopuffs gets some serious time with a trainer. He's got the size to be a tough guy, he just needs the skill.

all he needs is more balance and strength... not like those are big deals though, haha

seriously though, agreed.

While I did think it was stupid for Kopecky to get into a fight at that point in the game giving them a chance to gain some momentum (especially when you get your ass handed to you), he did take Beauchemin off the ice for 5 minutes, which was helpful since the Ducks' defensive core was already depleted.

all he needs is more balance and strength... not like those are big deals though, haha

seriously though, agreed.

Kopecky? Balance?

He needs to hang onto a guy's jersey to keep standing. He should do that Karate Kid thing where he stands on the poles and hops from one foot to the other. (Sorry- only saw the movie once, and that was when it came out.) Yeah, if Koko could keep his feet at normal times, it would help in fights.

I don't think you can question his heart.

Skating ability? Yes. Finishing ability? Yes. Fighting ability? Yes. Heart? No.

Kopecky looks so brutal out there. I think it's still his knee, because he was actually looking like the prospect the Wings drafted up until he got hurt. Still, I always like the underdog, so make it happen Kopper! Maybe he and Lilja ought to do some training in the offseason.