• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
pazzloski

Getzlaf

Rate this topic

Not gonna lie, I wouldn't be sorry to hear he's too banged up to play the rest of the series. Dude's been killing us. He can come back next season rested and ready to go but if he's a scratch for Game 5, great.

Yes I cannot sit here with a straight face and say I would be sorry if he was out. Maybe that is what I should ask for for Mother's day. ;) Unfortunately the odds of that happening are like winning the lottery... I trust the Wings can continue to do a better job of containing him though.

Would you want to see Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the bench if we were down 2 so they can get some rest? Definitely not. I would be infuriated if they weren't out there, especially with a two day break coming up. You don't just give up, stranger things have happened than coming back from 2 goals down in the last 2 minutes. All signs point to an injury on this one, but we'll have to wait and see.

From the time that Niedermayer made it a two goal game they actually had 9 minutes and 57 seconds left in the third period. In that 9 minutes and 57 seconds Getzlaf played exactly 1 second. He sat for 7 minutes and 23 seconds AFTER the ducks made it a two point game before he came on for 1 second and Z scored the empty netter. Roughly 10 minutes is plenty of time to score two goals and I cannot imagine the ducks throwing in the towel at that point, especially when you consider how important game 4 was (a 3-1 lead would be hard to come back from) and how demoralizing it would be for the Wings if they did manage somehow to come back.

Guest Shoreline

I imagine Getzlaf will be fine. He's a tough guy. If he isn't, well, that's great news, but him being held out was likely due to that tweak and being that the score was a bit out of reach for a while and resting him.

No way in hell they'd have him play if he was sick with anything contagious, and Carlyle would be an idiot for resting him when you're only down by 2 goals with the Wings where sitting back in cruise control, they also have an extra day of rest before next game as well so truly an even more pointless practice.

I'm more than willing to bet he had a minor injury which hurt a bit for his glorious 1 second of ice time, then decided it wasn't worth the risk of aggravating it further.

He asked to sit out because he was scared of Kopecky.

esteef

Well obviously. Koko inspires terror wherever he goes.

Despite a nickname like Koko. :P

Circle of life...the pig flu caught up with the swine

OOOH BURN. :rotflmao:

QFT.

esteef

I love your posts esteef, your funny as hell. lol My kind of humor!

esteef

nah. Zetterberg. In that scrum at the end of game 3 Z told him. "Hey tell Perry he's gonna get it. You better tell him. Hey Ryan you better tell him. You're gonna get it too." It's clearly on the video. Getzlaf was waiting for the hammer to fall all game. By the third period he was too sick to his stomach to play.

Edited by Third Man In

I'm sorry. This is the playoffs. If you're on the bench and you aren't injured mechanically in some way, then you better be out there. Being sick is no excuse. Why play him the entire game up until the 3rd period? They're playing the defending cup champs. You don't sit your best guy on the bench unless he's injured.

He's injured. That crap about being sick can't be true.

If you are down 3 goals and your best forward has been playing 25 mins a game and is beginning to get run down, why not give him a little rest. It's a lose the battle, win the war mentality.

The point is to win the series, not win the game. Pushing your best player to the limit in a game that you will most likely not win, isn't always the best strategy.

It's not a horrible strategy by any means.

I want the Wings to beat the Ducks with Getzlaf at his best. I want our best to beat their best. (cue the theme to "Rocky" and crank it up!)

We're playing without Draper and Rafalski, I hope Getzlaf is out.

LOL he did get injured. They showed it on TSN in the 2nd period Flip rolled up on his leg by the boards and you could see the grimace on Getzlaf's face.

They were talking about it near the end of the third how he only had like 2:30 of ice time then showed the replay from the 2nd.

He wasn't sick rofl

I want the Wings to beat the Ducks with Getzlaf at his best. I want our best to beat their best. (cue the theme to "Rocky" and crank it up!)

on that same token, we're dow Raffi and Draper and they are down Wisniewski as well, so neither of us are at our best. One more to even it up wouldn't hurt! Although Draper DOESN'T equal Getzlaf. (I'll say that before I ruffle any feathers! :lol: Pun INTENDED)

Guest MrSandMan
If you are down 3 goals and your best forward has been playing 25 mins a game and is beginning to get run down, why not give him a little rest. It's a lose the battle, win the war mentality.

The point is to win the series, not win the game. Pushing your best player to the limit in a game that you will most likely not win, isn't always the best strategy.

It's not a horrible strategy by any means.

He didn't play when the Ducks still had 10 minutes to score 2 goals. Why would their coach not want their best player on the ice when down only 2 goals? They scored 2 goals against us in less than 3 minutes before, why would they give up... unless Getlafed was injured. And clearly he tweaked his knee.

You can watch the replay on TSN.

when was the hit? I never noticed it

i didnt notice it either, but thats probably because versus doesnt show replays for anything. i saw the reply on nhl on the fly, and the look on getzlafs face was pure pain, whether it puts him out or not. i would say maybe hyperextension.

You can see it as part of TSN's video recap (right hand side). Flip and Getzlaf are going into a corner to get the puck, Getzlaf turned and knocked Flip down, and as he was sliding along he ice he pinned Getzlaf's leg to the boards. It looks like a nothing play, but realistically 200 pounds of Flip is coming down on his leg all at once.

I didn't notice it either however I have the NHL network and watching NHL on the Fly they showed Flip sliding on the ice on the right side of the boards, he kinda clipped his left knee. It didn't look too bad. Getzlaf winched and looked like he was in pain, but never showed any signs of injury on the bench or later during the PP.

I think he just sprained his knee while he will be back in full force on Sunday.

Wasn't the accident between Filp and Getzlaf that Filp moved to the board to battle for the puck then Filp laid down his head and hit Getzlaf's knee?

No, Getzlaf knocked Flip over, and his momentum kept him sliding in Getzlaf's direction. As Flip was down on all fours trying to get back to his feet, his rear collided with Getzlaf's leg along the boards. Very flukey play.

I hope Carlyle benched him. Getzlaf has been great in the playoffs so far, but man does he have his lazy moments. He can't skate to save his life, he's overweight, and if wasn't so big he'd get layed out every game for always skating up the ice with his head down.