131 replies to this topic

#1 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:37 PM

It wasn't very nice.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#2 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:38 PM

Not cool Ovie. Just not cool. He honestly went down a little in my eyes after that. Who does he think he is, Ulf Samuelsson?

#3 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:39 PM

Shoulda been a major for sure. Gonchar could be out for a long time because of this less than clean hit.
Rough as guts.

#4 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:42 PM

What a s***ty thing to do. Seriously. Ovie is waaaaaaaaay too talented to be pulling stunts like that.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#5 Mike

Mike

Population: 11 Banners

• Gold Booster
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

Ovie did not do this on purpose. Ovie went to hit Gonchar with his shoulder but Gonchar moved to his left and that is how the knee on knee contact occurred. Watch the video closely. Ovie never moves his skates or his legs, he is on the same path from before the hit to after the hit. Also, Ovie is clearly leading with his shoulder trying to hit Gonchar with his shoulder, but Gonchar moves to his left at the last second. This does not excuse the fact that it was kneeing and should have been a 5 minute major, but it was not done with intent and was nothing but accidental.

Sig by TeeMan

#6 NumbaSixty-Six

NumbaSixty-Six

4th Line Grinder

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

"Passion on Knee"

fixt.

Edited by NumbaSixty-Six, 08 May 2009 - 09:47 PM.

#7 Pensfan

Pensfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:50 PM

Not on purpose, unfortunate for Gonchar.

#8 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Yeah, seriously it wasnt even bad. Wouldnt have been knee on knee if Gonchar didnt try to move out of the way. His leg was in a straight line the hole time, and he tried to lead with his shoulder. It's just a bad circumstance that happened.

Posted Image

#9 IILeiBlazeII

IILeiBlazeII

Top-Tier Double Backup

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Oh, come on... it was worth a 2 minute minor (or maybe even a 5 minute major), but this hit wasn't suspendably dirty. Gonchar made a bad decision by moving the way he did and it ended up knee on knee. Even the Canadian broadcasters on TSN agree that it wasn't an intent to injure or anything. Let'em play...

Maybe each of my fingers is an undulating shrimp! It's a world of possibilities.

#10 Statts

Statts

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Knee on knee hit. Suspendable IMO. Im not holding my breath though, especially with the two teams playing tomorrow.
I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, I'm going to mop the floor with your face.
I said, You'll be sorry.
He said, Oh, yeah? Why?
I said, Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well.
-Emo Philips

#11 NumbaSixty-Six

NumbaSixty-Six

4th Line Grinder

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (Mike @ May 8, 2009 - 10:46PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ovie did not do this on purpose. Ovie went to hit Gonchar with his shoulder but Gonchar moved to his left and that is how the knee on knee contact occurred. Watch the video closely. Ovie never moves his skates or his legs, he is on the same path from before the hit to after the hit. Also, Ovie is clearly leading with his shoulder trying to hit Gonchar with his shoulder, but Gonchar moves to his left at the last second. This does not excuse the fact that it was kneeing and should have been a 5 minute major, but it was not done with intent and was nothing but accidental.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLSHIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTT. Wishful thinking. Ovechkin went for the big body hit, Gonchar was moving out of the way... so Ovechkin widened his stance to try and take a piece of him and not look like a total retarded moron.

#12 zenway9

zenway9

4th Line Grinder

• Silver Booster
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:55 PM

Yeah but it's OK because he's Ovechkin guys!

#13 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:56 PM

AO didn't widen his stance one bit. Unfortunate play. Probably should have called that one for 5, but there was absolutely no intent to take out the leg. Unless you've perfected that art like guys like Marchment and Samuelsson you're just as likely to blow your own leg out. No way he intended that. No way he gets suspended for that. Or at least there is no way he should be.

Posted Image

#14 TSM

TSM

Prospect

• 40 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (norrisnick @ May 8, 2009 - 07:56PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AO didn't widen his stance one bit. Unfortunate play. Probably should have called that one for 5, but there was absolutely no intent to take out the leg. Unless you've perfected that art like guys like Marchment and Sameulsson you're just as likely to blow your own leg out. No way he intended that. No way he gets suspended for that. Or at least there is no way he should be.

To me, the coincidence of this play is suspect, leg out or not. I personally cannot stand Ovechkin; he's a dirty rat and knuckle dragger. Imagine the outrage around here if he had pulled this play on Lidstrom (when at the age of 39, could be a career ender). I'm sure that Gonchar won't be "friends off the ice" anymore with this monkey. The fact that he didn't do more to avoid injuring a so called friend makes him all the more deploreable to me. Pittsburgh has the momentum, so Ovechkin decides to take it out on someone's knee. Keep it classy chiclet brained Alexandria.
QUOTE (DaKineMaui @ June 12, 2008 - 01:43AM)
I have nothing more on this then. 'If' Vladdy woulda stayed heathy, 'If" Stevie woulda stayed sound, who knows?
'If' my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. Who knows?
#19 ran this team.

#15 NumbaSixty-Six

NumbaSixty-Six

4th Line Grinder

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (norrisnick @ May 8, 2009 - 10:56PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AO didn't widen his stance one bit. Unfortunate play. Probably should have called that one for 5, but there was absolutely no intent to take out the leg. Unless you've perfected that art like guys like Marchment and Samuelsson you're just as likely to blow your own leg out. No way he intended that. No way he gets suspended for that. Or at least there is no way he should be.

stfu, if this happen to lidstrom you'd be balling your eyes out.

#16 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,658 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:02 PM

Too bad for Gonchar. I actually kind of like him. Must be the number smile.gif

Bad collision, but no intent to injure. Hope he's OK and playing soon, but I'm not holding my breath. Those knee injuries hurt and can take some time to heal. Best wishes to him.

Money on the board:  Current total: 0

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#17 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,797 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:03 PM

Fortunate accident. Ovechkin didnt mean to do it, but Gonchar could be on the shelf for a while and I dont like Pittsburghs chances then.

#NOMOREKINDL

#18 EuroTwin

EuroTwin

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (55fan @ May 8, 2009 - 11:02PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Too bad for Gonchar. I actually kind of like him. Must be the number smile.gif

Bad collision, but no intent to injure. Hope he's OK and playing soon, but I'm not holding my breath. Those knee injuries hurt and can take some time to heal. Best wishes to him.

You said pretty much everything I wanted to say... weird. blink.gif
Hudler!!

"If you didn't know him, and saw him without hockey gear, you'd never suspect Datsyuk to be a world-class athlete. He walks a bit hunched over. His gait is somewhat crab-like, almost like he's still skating, even on dry land.

But put him on skates and he's Houdini on ice. He is not the fastest skater by a long shot, but there can't be too many who are stronger or more flexible. Checking him has to feel like checking Gumby. You might get a piece of him, but he bounces away, moving faster thanks to the leverage he gained from your check."

From The Detroit News

#19 McCartyFanForLife

McCartyFanForLife

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:06 PM

He didn't go out of his way to stick his knee out, he just didn't pull it back in. Definitely a penalty because he tripped him. 2 minutes is all he deserved. Not suspension worthy

#20 Pensfan

Pensfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:14 PM

HF is 50/50 it seems.

Edited by Pensfan, 08 May 2009 - 10:15 PM.