• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BlakChamber

Ovechkin's hit on Gonchar

Rate this topic

Not dirty. Worth two minutes but if Gonchar didn't try to move out of the way (Ovechkin's right leg did not move when Gonchar did) then there would be no discussion.

It is unfortunate for Gonchar and I hope he gets better but this is not suspendable at all.

Not dirty. Worth two minutes but if Gonchar didn't try to move out of the way (Ovechkin's right leg did not move when Gonchar did) then there would be no discussion.

It is unfortunate for Gonchar and I hope he gets better but this is not suspendable at all.

You sir, surprised me with this post.

So I've learnt two things from this thread:

1. It is possible for the majority of LGW to agree on something about Ovechkin.

2. Numba Sixty-Six is approaching his first anniversary of watching NHL next week. Congrats #66!! Oh... you're dumb by the way.

Watched the replay a few times and it didn't look intentional to me. No late movement of the leg toward Gonchar, just a straight shot, looked like Ovechkin was going in for a check and Gonchar dodged. That said, it's still a dangerous play and any penalty Ovechkin got is well-deserved. Suspendable though? I don't think so. Didn't appear like intent to injure, not like the Brown hit or the Kunitz cross check.

Few players in the history of the league have been harder to catch with a hit, clean or otherwise, than Lidstrom. This wouldn't happen to Lidstrom so it really makes little sense hypothesizing.

Something like this DID happen to Lidstrom, anybody remember the half dozen games or so he missed after he was hit knee on knee against Colorado

Something like this DID happen to Lidstrom, anybody remember the half dozen games or so he missed after he was hit knee on knee against Colorado

And we all know what happened to the guy that did it. Lesson learned, dont mess with Lidstrom.

That's a potential career ender right there, plain and simple. You just don't do that, especially someone like him who is so good he doesn't have to worry about this type of low brow garbage.

The guy needs to get a handle on his emotions, he celebrates huge when he's playing well and that's fine, but you don't take runs at guys when you're not.

Grow up, you're a professional now act like one. It's just sad that he's not being held accountable like one, that's a game misconduct and suspension in a lot of other guy's shoes.

Edited by #19forPresident!

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLSHIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTT. Wishful thinking. Ovechkin went for the big body hit, Gonchar was moving out of the way... so Ovechkin widened his stance to try and take a piece of him and not look like a total retarded moron.

Ovie didn't widen his stance. Take off your homer glasses and watch the video. Ovie didn't move once he decided to go for the hit. The only player who moved was Gonchar and that move resulted in the knee on knee contact. And yes, you are trolling.

It seems like there is a lot of bias on this topic...it is easy to tell who are ovechkin haters/fans. It seems like if you aren't a fan you will look for information to support you point and vice versa.

I'm not a fan of ovi but he's a great player. I've watched that video many times now and tried slowing it down.

He was going in for the big hit, the Gonch dodged it and Ovi did not. He had, IMO, no time to move his leg at all. its like a fraction of a second and when you're lining up for a hit like that its not like "i wonder if i should pull my knee to the side" goes through there mind. The tripping call I would say is warranted because of ovi's carelessness with his hit which caused a trip. BUT those who say he deserved a major....really?? I think the trip is fine and no suspension is necessary...he went for a big hit not to injure him.

It only looked worse because gonchar got out of the way and also was off balance.

On a separate note...I just went to www.detroitredwings.com for the first time in a while with full volume on and Datsyuk absolutely scared the hell out of me!

On a separate note...I just went to www.detroitredwings.com for the first time in a while with full volume on and Datsyuk absolutely scared the hell out of me!

:lol: I just went to see what you were talking about. And then it pops up. I go "Oh, s***!" followed by 2 minutes of non-stop laughter.

"Hi, Red Wing fans!" :clap:

definitly an accident. his knee didnt move and you can clearly see his uperbody going for the hit, meanwhile Gonchar moved out of the way but his leg didnt make it out on time.

1. He wasn't hit knee on knee. He got hit along the boards and tweaked his knee when he fell.

2. I'm fairly certain the knee wasn't the issue.

3. That hit is still only one of three times that I can recall off the top of my head where Nick really got torqued. And that was the only one of the 3 where he missed a shift let alone any games.

Guest Four

A lot of you make me laugh. You make it sound like Ovechkin did this intentional, yet if someone on our own team did this, say Datsyuk, you'd make up excuse after excuse about how it was plain unfortunate and he shouldn't be suspended. If Datsyuk did this, you'd all be saying how Gonchar had a wide stance and tried to turn left at the last send to avoid the hit, which he knew was coming and it ended up with Ovechkin hitting his knee, which was straight under him as he turned right! Ovechkin did not stick out his leg, Gonchar stuck out his. It was just an accident and both couldn't really do much at that point to avoid the leg.

His highness contributed to a dirty play? Oh noes! it must have been some sort of conspiracy, somehow Crosby is responsible. :rolleyes:

:hehe:

side note: anyone watching in pittsburgh as sick of bob errey as i am? if it were up to him, any play with contact would result in a game misconduct and a review by the league. he seriously spent half of the third pontificating "ah, there's another missed penalty"

to say that was intentional might be a little bit of a stretch... Gonchar is an amazing player what a shame, hope he is ok... I am sure OVechkin feels like s***, I highly doubt he would go out there and intentionally hurt players especially a fellow Russian veteran like Gonchar...

"We all have to talk to each other at certain times," said Bill Guerin. "Guys need to get calmed down for different things. Injuries are part of the game. I'd bet my house he didn't mean to do that. You just have to focus on the game."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=422075

Edited by RedArmy

Guest mindfly

It's like someone taking out Lidstrom like this, Gonchar is as important to penguins as Lidstrom is for red wings... I would be very angry if i was a penguins fan... hope he's allright... any reports on the injury yet?

quote name='Shoreline' date='May 8, 2009 - 11:29PM' post='1639053']

Should've been a 5, and Ovy is lucky he didn't get it. It's a dangerous play to make, intent or not.

It should have been a 5 at least and a suspension for intent to injure in my opinion. If Ovechkin was playing with respect for other players in mind then a better effort would have been made to know what part of his body was being used for the hit. If a player is responsible for what happens with his stick then or has to be aware of a hit being delivered to an unsuspecting player then also the player should be present to the fact that skating into a hit with the stance and posture Ovechkin went in with could result in a questionable collision, he lead with his knee out there is no question there.