• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

So am I the only one who prefers Hiller?

Rate this topic

I never thought this kid was steal-a-series material, let alone steal-a-game material. Rather, I think Hiller is more a product of the phenominal defense in front of him who prevent rebounds from going to Wings, and keep our scorers to the perimeter and apply pressure quickly. If you look at the goals that the Wings have scored on Hiller, they aren't your typical playoff-style goals. They're mostly shots from the slot or the perimeter that just beat him cleanly.

Giguere, however, scares me. He's shown in the past that he knows how to play goalie (or at least he knows how position his massive pads to not make so many rookie mistakes), and he's certainly shown that he can steal a series. Now that it's a best of three series, all he really needs to do is steal a game and it could be over.

Sure its a risky move for Carlyle, because Giguere has had a ton of personal stuff going on in his life that's affected his game, but he's also had a break to mentally take care of some stuff, and the playoffs are a different beast than the regular season. Its for these reasons that I would rather the Wings take on a fresh, albeit rookie Hiller over a rusty, yet proven Giguere.

Thoughts?

The key to beating Giguere is to get him moving side to side. He is a big body and moves slow. Doesn't matter who is in goal, the Wings are atill capable of winning.

I have trouble believing Carlyle is really thinking about pulling Hiller. The kid leads all playoff goaltenders with a .946 save percentage. Seriously, what is the point in replacing him? They feel they need a better performance than that? They're an 8 seed tied 2-2 with the best team in the league.

Giguere, however, scares me. He's shown in the past that he knows how to play goalie (or at least he knows how position his massive pads to not make so many rookie mistakes), and he's certainly shown that he can steal a series. Now that it's a best of three series, all he really needs to do is steal a game and it could be over.

Sure its a risky move for Carlyle, because Giguere has had a ton of personal stuff going on in his life that's affected his game, but he's also had a break to mentally take care of some stuff, and the playoffs are a different beast than the regular season. Its for these reasons that I would rather the Wings take on a fresh, albeit rookie Hiller over a rusty, yet proven Giguere.

Thoughts?

Giguere scares me too. he's always seemed to have the wings number. I'm willing to bet Hiller will be the man for game 5 but if they have to put in Giggy, then Giggy would be the man for game 6.

So is Getting-Jiggy-With-It in now and Hiller is out?

Still no word from Carlyle but I would be surprised not to see Hiller.

Still no word from Carlyle but I would be surprised not to see Hiller.

I do not see any reason for replacing Hiller either. Unless CARlyle thinks his D is going to hang the young goaltender out to dry and wants a more experienced tender in there.

Likes others stated; Hiller in for game 5, if a tragic loss again, Jiggy in for game 6.

I think the biggest reason I can think of that Carlyle wouldn't put Giguere in tomorrow, is if it turns out to be a bad decision and they end up losing the series, a lot of people are going to be pointing fingers at Carlyle for the reason they lost.

Anyway, Babs doesn't think Giguere will start either, but I'm still pretty anxious about it.

Count me as one who'd much rather the ducks stick with Hiller.

I, for one, never thought he was as much a factor as everyone was giving him credit for. While he faced a ton of shots, (quantity wise), in most games you could count on one hand how many REAL quality shots he faced.

In responding, over and over again, to mlive.com's Ansar Khan's numerous "the Wings must find a way to beat Hiller" articles, I think I finally annoyed Khan into responding with his "Hiller has been much more of a factor than some of you are giving him credit for....."

Regardless....

The Wings finally showed up on Thursday - something the hadn't done YET in this Series, (despite the Game 1 Win).

They'll have to do it from this point on....a full 60 minute, pedal to the medal, no-let-up, no mercy performance.

If they don't?

It won't matter WHO the ducks put in net.

Well body size isn't an issue, Hiller's about Giggy's size and an inch taller. Giggy's pads however are ridiculous and because of this he'd block the sun out of the sky if he managed to stay air-born long enough. This alone makes me want to prefer Hiller in net even though he blows Giggy out of the water statistic wise in the regular season, and I believe is still leading all playoff goalies in save%. There is one thing I really want to know however, and that's how many of Giggy's goals in the regular season where due to PPs compared to Hiller. Its no secret the key to beating Giggy is forcing him to move his battalion of gear side to side something usually made a lot easier on the PP. The Wings PP has been anything but infallible so far this series and without getting Rafalski back I don't see it improving.

With all that being said, I actually do prefer Hiller, but only marginally and I don't think its going to make or break this series either way.

Count me as one who'd much rather the ducks stick with Hiller.

I, for one, never thought he was as much a factor as everyone was giving him credit for. While he faced a ton of shots, (quantity wise), in most games you could count on one hand how many REAL quality shots he faced.

In responding, over and over again, to mlive.com's Ansar Khan's numerous "the Wings must find a way to beat Hiller" articles, I think I finally annoyed Khan into responding with his "Hiller has been much more of a factor than some of you are giving him credit for....."

Regardless....

The Wings finally showed up on Thursday - something the hadn't done YET in this Series, (despite the Game 1 Win).

They'll have to do it from this point on....a full 60 minute, pedal to the medal, no-let-up, no mercy performance.

If they don't?

It won't matter WHO the ducks put in net.

The bold is what I felt too, I watched most of the Sharks series, and I noticed that his rebound control was probably his weakest spot. Surprised to see he has another weakness of the 5-hole, but the Wings have the ability to just pick this guy apart.

I would also prefer Hiller. I think if we win game 5, we may see Jiggy in game 6 though. But it would be hard for Carlyle to pull the goalie that got him to where he is. The Ducks probably wouldn't have even made the playoffs without Hiller.

hmmmm its a tought thought. but i have a feeling game 5 will be decided on who plays in net!!!!!

but i would rather have hiller since nows hes come down from his cloud and has been really welcomed to the nhl playoffs.

but i will say(might regret it) the wings need to pull away with a low scoring game. like 1-0 2-1. so Carlyle still feels good about hillers play. so game 6 we can go out there and rape him!!!

either way a win is what we need, and a win is what we'll get!

Personally speaking I don't care who is in goal for the Ducks. On one hand we have a goalie who is possibly their MVP that we showed last game is not inpenetrable. Then you have their "proven" goalie who has played what 3 games in the past two months? Their is a difference between practices and game situations. That being said, as long as we keep up the pressure and get the necessary traffic in front we can put the puck past either of them. Go Wings!

id be shocked if they switched goalies after one bad game by Hiller, i mean one second hes gods gift to the world and then one bad game gets him benched. if thats the case i feel pretty good about the wings chances against a cold goalie after a bad reg. season.

One of the only reasons i wanted the wings to play the ducks is getting to see Jiggy in net. He is a top fav in the NHL for me. Huge fan of his, but i still hope wings win the series.