• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wingslionstigers

Hotels close to the Joe

Rate this topic

Every time we've flown to Detroit for some games, we've gotten AMAZING deals on hotels. Not to sound commercial, but your best bet is going to Priceline, to the "Name Your Own Price" feature. We've stayed at both the Doubletree and the Marriott Renaissance. I think we stayed for $45 a night at each place, or something close to that. Just go to the website, choose the downtown area and 4 star, and low ball. If you don't get anything, check back the next day with a higher price. It's a little late to be going about it, but the hotels get your bid immediately after it's been accepted on the website, and you're sure to get something great. Good luck!

I've stayed at the Marriott Renaissance both times I've been in the D for games. Nothing bad to say about it, rooms we stayed in weren't especially fancy but I don't think it was too expensive and everything was fairly nice. We've cabbed (like $5) to Cheli's and then taken the shuttle both times too.

Don't forget the newly-opened Westin Book Cadillac and the Double-Tree Guest Suites. No offense to anyone, but I would not recommend the Detroit Riverside Hotel (former Hotel Ponchartrain). I work across the street from it and I can tell you that the outside is nasty and I have heard that the inside is, too. Service was horrible last time I ate at one of their restaurants. It's old and it has really been neglected.

Wubs

Don't forget the newly-opened Westin Book Cadillac and the Double-Tree Guest Suites. No offense to anyone, but I would not recommend the Detroit Riverside Hotel (former Hotel Ponchartrain). I work across the street from it and I can tell you that the outside is nasty and I have heard that the inside is, too. Service was horrible last time I ate at one of their restaurants. It's old and it has really been neglected.

Wubs

Agreed; I heard from others who have stayed there that it is terrible.

There is a Holiday Inn Express at Washington & Michigan Aves, across the street from the Book Cadillac and about a block from the PeopleMover station (that will drop you right at the Joe). Don't know what it's like inside, but it always seems busy. Looks like $109-$129/nite.

Edited by Wubbie

Is the Riverside Hotel that bad? I have been checking out reviews and its like one guy says excellent and the next guy says hed never go there again. Don't really understand how that works. Has anyone here actually been there personally and could fill me in.

I was hoping to be in walking distance to the Joe. I don't plan on being sober and either does anyone else in my party. Cabs? What are those i live in the U.P. hahah..

These other hotels some of you guys mentioned how far from the Joe are they?

Double-Tree Inn and Hilliday Inn express both decent rates. Both with in walking distance to the Joe and Both One block from the people mover. I stayed at the double tree about three weeks ago. Very nice, clean hotel. I highly recommend it.

Every time we've flown to Detroit for some games, we've gotten AMAZING deals on hotels. Not to sound commercial, but your best bet is going to Priceline, to the "Name Your Own Price" feature. We've stayed at both the Doubletree and the Marriott Renaissance. I think we stayed for $45 a night at each place, or something close to that. Just go to the website, choose the downtown area and 4 star, and low ball. If you don't get anything, check back the next day with a higher price. It's a little late to be going about it, but the hotels get your bid immediately after it's been accepted on the website, and you're sure to get something great. Good luck!

Definitely priceline it and name your own price. Downtown Detroit is desolate and the hotels are dying to get people to come stay there. Like she said, we stayed at the Renaissance for $45 a night, as well as the Double-Tree another time. The Double-Tree even gave us a suite and warm cookies when we checked in. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Oh, and you can take the people-mover to the joe from both of those locations for fifty cents.

We stayed at the Marriott Renaissance that has been mentioned. It's a nice place. We got to stay on the 67th floor and had an incredible view of the city!

You can walk over to the game quite easily. We walked the few blocks with kids, so it's not too far. You can also take the Detroit People Mover for 50 cents per ride. We did this to get back after the game.

Have fun! Go Wings!

We ended up staying at the Marriott Renaissance Center. It was awesome glad you guys talked me into it. We were on the 60th floor and the view was fantastic, never been that high before.

Game was great, 1st playoff game and the atmosphere was amazing.

Glad you had fun!

There is a Holiday Inn Express at Washington & Michigan Aves, across the street from the Book Cadillac and about a block from the PeopleMover station (that will drop you right at the Joe). Don't know what it's like inside, but it always seems busy. Looks like $109-$129/nite.

i've stayed there, no complaints and the Joe is literally down the street 5 min walk.