• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jasper84

Line Changes

Rate this topic

I feel like a complete dufus asking this, because I've followed hockey almost all my life & I've been on these boards for over a year now, and I still don't know what it means when a team has the first or second line changes, or match ups, or whatever its called.

Anyone care to explain?

Having the last change means you get to see who the other coach puts out for his line and you have the last change to match it.

So if you watched games 1, 2, & 5 (not sure where you live if you were able to watch or stream the games) Carlyle was making a lot of hand gestures before the drop of the puck.

He was communicating to his team what he wanted the line to do based on a face off win or loss.

When in ANA for games 3-4, he had the last change so he always had the match up he wanted on the ice, he saw who Babs was going with and then sent out who he thinks best matches up.

In Det he has to wait for play to start and his guys to get the opportunity to change. That is why you saw a lot of face of wins for the ducks go back to their zone and reset in Det.

Hope that helped not made you more confused!

yeah basically coaches want certain lines to go against the other teams specific lines... we have been trying to keep the Zetterberg line out there against the Getzlaf line because we feel its a good matchup... Z or Datsyuk are both great 2 way players, so defensively it helps against Anaheims top line, and also they can keep pressure in the offensive zone limiting Getzlaf's chances...

so the home team is allowed to send out their line after the road team sends out theirs to a face off... so when we're home we can see if Anaheim is sending out Getzlaf, if he is we'd shoot out the Zetterberg line, or whatever matchup we feel is favorable and go from there...

Anameim in trying to keep Getzlaf away from the Z line, would see if we send out say the Helm line, they would try to get Getzlaf out there then to hopefully get him away from Z's line...

its just about the coaches playing the matches they feel will help them best, and as a home team before a faceoff, you can send out your line AFTER the away team to make sure you get out a matchup you want...

Okay thanks. My confusion was when these line changes occured. I was under the impression that players could go to the bench for a change at any time. Wasn't aware that both teams couldn't change pre-face off

Okay thanks. My confusion was when these line changes occured. I was under the impression that players could go to the bench for a change at any time. Wasn't aware that both teams couldn't change pre-face off

Well, both teams can change pre-faceoff, but the Ref gives each team a certain amount of time to do so. He will stand at center ice while teams are changing lines and at a certain point will put his hand up signaling the away team must stop changing and let the home team finish.