• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

hockeysattva

Why do you like the Red Wings?

Rate this topic

i used to play hockey when i was younger at school.. my trainers brother worked for the Red Wings and always talked about the team during the training.. i started watching videos and stuff and became a huge red wings fan! i bought my Yzerman shirt and i remember wearing it a lot!!! damn, i LOVE the red wings! for me its just not "i like the red wings" or "i do not like the red wings".. for me, the red wings are a FEELING!!!

Edited by Ernesto_182

Grew up watching young future Swedish superstars like Forsberg and Sundin play so I might just as well have picked the Nordiques to cheer for. But from the moment I started looking at NHL highlights I enjoyed Fedorov's game a hell of a lot more, as well as the heart-on-your-sleeve style of play that represented Detroit back in the early 90s. But what made me fall in love with the team and really become passionate was Yzerman and the back-to-back Cups. The fact that there are so many great Swedish players on the team right now is a huge bonus for me personally but compared to the history, spirit and style it is not a big thing.

I get a little sentimental when i think of why I am a Red Wings Fan!

As a 38 year old professional woman, who drives around with a Wings flag on her car..I get this question alot!

The Wings remind me of a family and a sense of togetherness- both in the organization and on a personal level. I was born and spent the first 5 years of my life in Windsor, ONTARIO. I remember my dad listening to the Wings and Tigers games on WJR radio as a youngster. He would tell stories of going to the Olympia and see Howe and the Production line..even having a beer with "the boys" one night at the Tunnel BBQ. It was kind of a bonding experience, hearing those stories, when none of my other siblings seemed all that interested. We moved 2 hours outside Windsor when I was 6 but spent many weekends in Windsor with my dads work or seeing relatives. Since the games were always on, I started to ask questions about everything from some of the players to what an "offside" was. Of Course, being a Canadian kid, HNIC was a ritual on saturday nights and pretty soon I was following right along. That turned into collecting wings Cards and following "my team" like it was a religion.

It was the one thing that my Dad and I could always talk about. At different times in my life our relationship has been strained...but even in the face of any family crisis or difficult time, i could always say " Wow, did you see Kocur's fight last night" or "I am glad Yzerman got the OT winner" and that always brought us together in some way. The Wings are like a big family and thats the way Mr. and Mrs. I have treated it...and thats the way I feel about it too. Hockey can bring people together.

Thats why I love the Wings and bleed the Winged Wheel

Wings in six...Lets go Boys!!!

Simple Answer = Everything. I love everything about the wings.

The owner ship

The leadership

The players

The ownership - They are willing to do whatever it takes to win, they will spend the money, they hire great scouts, they know hockey, they get the "right" hockey guys in the front office. They do not fear losing, they fear not trying.

The Leadership - Either the players or the coach, they always have great leadership, and sportsmanship. They play the game of hockey the right way, they do the little things and always put in a good effort.

The players - Talented hockey players. Loyalty, wiliness to do anything to win. Selfless. Team before themselves. Its always about the name on the front and not about the one on the back.

And I was born and raised in Detroit, just left Michigan at the age of 26. Its my hometown, it my Hockeytown.

P.S. Can forget to mention "The Captain" Stevie Y. He is my hero, so selfless, loyal, talented, plays hockey the right way. Never backs down, always classy and not to mention his amazing leadership. All in all the "typical" Red Wing player.

What other team can boast about a star studded line up that has no ego issues in the locker room?

Edited by Red4wings4life

Born in Flint, MI in 1975. I've been a fan since I was eight years old.

I live in Atlanta now but I made it back up for Games 1 & 2 of the Finals last year. Greatest weekend of my life!

My boyfriend turned me into a Wings and hockey fan. I was never really interested in hockey. I actually made him watch the playoff games in another room when they were playing Calgary a few years back. I started watching hockey at the beginning of the 2007-2008 season. We would watch any game on Versus. He told me that I had to pick my own team because he didn't want me to like the Wings because he made me or something. I tried watching a couple other teams, but I would always pay attention more when he was watching the Wings. I ended up really liking Chelios and then Zetterberg. I told my boyfriend that it was always his plan for me to like the Wings and that I would pick them on my own just because they are awesome. He has said that he knew that I would become a Wings fan because who couldn't if you watched them.

Now, I love the Wings and I love hockey. It has become one of my favorite sports to watch. I love all of the players and hopefully next season we will be able to make it to Detroit for our first game!

Long story short, when I lived in Michigan as a kid I used to listen to Red Wings games on the radio, and I remember hearing the name Yzerman over and over again, so I was thoroughly convinced that he was the greatest hockey player in the world, an assesment that I still hold to this day. Through some lean years, several frustrating near-misses, a few broken toes ('95 SCF) and a new drywall in my bedroom ('96 WCF) followed by much celebration, I have not once had any reason to doubt my decision to remain a loyal wing-nut for 20+ years, and now that I have indoctrinated my wife and new son to all things Hockeytown, the tradition will remain strong through multiple generations. Stevie Y will always be my captain, and the Red Wings will eclipse the Canadiens as the winningest franchise in NHL history, mark my words.

NHL 94, but rather than Sega on the computer.

Whenever you start a game or anything the default options were always Montreal and LA as the previous season's finalists. They just weren't compelling at all. A couple clicks on the random button and I ended up with the Red Wings. Fedorov was amazing in that game (and at the time one of the few players you'd hear of, I live in Iowa). Playing seasons in that game was pretty tough. The Penguins and Nordiques were killer. Same with the Blackhawks.

Cross the blueline, pass off to Dino for the one-timer at the top of the circles, goal. I think I scored more SH goals than PP goals. Loved the breakaway.

NHL 94, but rather than Sega on the computer.

Whenever you start a game or anything the default options were always Montreal and LA as the previous season's finalists. They just weren't compelling at all. A couple clicks on the random button and I ended up with the Red Wings. Fedorov was amazing in that game (and at the time one of the few players you'd hear of, I live in Iowa). Playing seasons in that game was pretty tough. The Penguins and Nordiques were killer. Same with the Blackhawks.

Cross the blueline, pass off to Dino for the one-timer at the top of the circles, goal. I think I scored more SH goals than PP goals. Loved the breakaway.

I remember that game back in the day. Roenick and Robitaille were sick. They were unstoppable.

Is that the same year that when a player got injured, he layed on the ice and blood flowed from his head like the Nile?

Edited by Broken 16

I remember that game back in the day. Roenick and Robitaille were sick. They were unstoppable.

Is that the same year that when a player got injured, he layed on the ice and blood flowed from his head like the Nile?

Yep. The '93 and '94 versions had that writhing head grabbing bleeder.

Great game.... I'm going to make little Wayne's head bleed:

at pre-lockout, I was a Leafs fan since I lived in Toronto, and my favourite player was Almo (big time), but the team changed big time post-lockout and I really didn't like what Toronto did. They weren't the same team. I cheered for New Jersey for a short time before they demoted Mogilny because of a nagging hip (still scored 12 goals and got 13 assists). I hated New Jersey for doing that, and Mogilny was inactive and wasn't going to be back, so midway through the season I was watching a lot of teams. I saw the Detroit-Nashville game and saw Datsyuk's move, and how well he played that game. They played a good style of hockey and I followed them ever since, with Datsyuk being my new favourite player (Russian like Almo!)

All I'm going to say is that people may start watching this team for a number of reasons. Like Mindfly said even follow players here, but once you witness and understand all there is about the organization and of course the team you become a FAN and nothing can change that so easily ! I am very happy to even be able to cheer for this great team. Now smash the Ducks !!!

Thank you Red Wings. :thumbup:

Born and raised Michigander. Been a Wing's fan for as long as I can remember. My sister had a huge crush on Gary Unger, and would scream everytime the Wings scored a goal. (When the games were on tv, which was rare back then.)

I remember the night Mickey scored his 50th, and then 51st goals in the 72-73 season. My dad wasn't a big sports fan, so I didn't see my first game in person until October of 78. Bobby Orr scored his last NHL goal that night. Olympia Stadium, now THAT was a hockey building.

It wasn't easy being a Wings fan back then, but I always watched. We didn't have great teams, but we did have Bruce Martyn, Budd Lynch & Sid Abel to listen to.

Been a season ticket holder for 23 years, and watched Stevie hoist 2 cups at the Joe. It was worth the wait!!

My family infiltrated your solar system when I was but a larva. All 5 of my parents worked outside the pod, so I spent most days with my Grandmum deboning wolverines, sharpening our claws, and darning socks. Granny felt it best that I learn the language and customs of my new world, so she wrapped 3 of her antennae with tin foil and transmitted it through the D13 vasclometer onto the rear viewing screen in our old ship. I learned about life on this planet from watching Gordie, Ted and Sid.

My first day of kindergarten I checked a little girl named Doris and gave her an elbow to the head for good measure after she took the green crayon I had been saving for lunch. The teacher suggested to my #4 parent that I not be allowed to watch hockey any more. Once I understood that this kind of behaviour was allowed only on ice, I adapted to this planet and have lived in harmony with its inhabitants.

I have been a fan of the Red Wings since then, and I still think that Doris is a little stinker.

Ok, I made that up. Dad was from Detroit. Go Wings. Go Lions. End of story.

I was born in Midland in '85 and started playing when I was 5 yrs old. Started watching the Wings although outside of Yzerman, Probert, Fedorov, and Cheveldae I didnt know too many players. My dad then took me to my first Wings game back in 1993 against the Sharks and I can still remember where I sat in the stands in the upper bowl and just being amazed at how awesome everything was. From that point on I knew who my favorite team was and now a days I could not be happier with the success over the years whether it be good or bad.