• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WingMachine91

awkwardness in the handshake line

Rate this topic

I hope your kidding.

Why should he kid? Look, it's obvious Anaheim is public enemy number one here to the fans. And likewise there, they hate Detroit a lot. But these players are PAID athletes. Aside from the obvious locks, whose to say you aren't ending up in an Anaheim (or conversely, for the Ducks, a Detroit) uniform next season?*

So respecting the individuals on the ice, regardless of what's happened during competition, is a big tradition in the NHL. Several of your Wings fans here have said the same, but the one Ducks guy comes in and says the same, you treat it like he's just told you that Penquins can fly after all and that Anaheim is the cleanest team evar. He just said a fact: players that shun the handshake tradition DO get analyzed by the media after the fact.

I think Detroit's the classiest organization in hockey, and I say that with much envy because I'm from Toronto. So frankly, whether it's Anaheim or the Flyers of yore, you shake hands and continue the tradition. For the players, it is easy to leave it on the ice -- they are all just trying to win, but once the series is over, hey, there's a lot of them who are probably friends.

* your coach came straight from "dirty as hell" Anaheim. Two of your players went there after they won a Cup, etc. Just never know.

Why should he kid? Look, it's obvious Anaheim is public enemy number one here to the fans. And likewise there, they hate Detroit a lot. But these players are PAID athletes. Aside from the obvious locks, whose to say you aren't ending up in an Anaheim (or conversely, for the Ducks, a Detroit) uniform next season?*

So respecting the individuals on the ice, regardless of what's happened during competition, is a big tradition in the NHL. Several of your Wings fans here have said the same, but the one Ducks guy comes in and says the same, you treat it like he's just told you that Penquins can fly after all and that Anaheim is the cleanest team evar. He just said a fact: players that shun the handshake tradition DO get analyzed by the media after the fact.

I think Detroit's the classiest organization in hockey, and I say that with much envy because I'm from Toronto. So frankly, whether it's Anaheim or the Flyers of yore, you shake hands and continue the tradition. For the players, it is easy to leave it on the ice -- they are all just trying to win, but once the series is over, hey, there's a lot of them who are probably friends.

* your coach came straight from "dirty as hell" Anaheim. Two of your players went there after they won a Cup, etc. Just never know.

Obviously this is taking his comment very literal when I say this but I don't respect the devil and never would. But I'm not trying to get into a religious argument here.

I also agree. I wouldn't shake any of those pieces of s***s hands. They don't deserve any respect. Is a vicious elbow to the face respectin a guy? Is jumping on top of a guy from behind and pummeling him respectful? I don't think so. Anybody here that says they would shake their hands is a LIAR!

You, sir, are rude as hell.

I'd go through the handshake line. You're the one that looks petty and disrespectful if you don't.

Obviously this is taking his comment very literal when I say this but I don't respect the devil and never would. But I'm not trying to get into a religious argument here.

His metaphor is pretty good though considering to Detroit, Anaheim IS the devil and company! haha.

You, sir, are rude as hell.

I'd go through the handshake line. You're the one that looks petty and disrespectful if you don't.

Ok lets say something happens in game 7 and some player pulls a bertuzzi on one of the wings players. You are saying you would still shake his hand? That is absolutely ridiculous. The argument in this topic is that you would shake their hands no matter what happened on the ice. So in this case I described to you ,would you still shake the players hand?

Edited by zata20

I also agree. I wouldn't shake any of those pieces of s***s hands. They don't deserve any respect. Is a vicious elbow to the face respectin a guy? Is jumping on top of a guy from behind and pummeling him respectful? I don't think so. Anybody here that says they would shake their hands is a LIAR!

Then you don't belong in the sports world.

These guys have made careers out of playing one of the most emotional sports on the planet. They don't take this stuff personally. I mean, heck, NHLtv did a special on enforcers and Darren McCarty was on it. He said when you drop the gloves, it's never anything personal between you and the guy. It's just a sign of respect towards your team. He said that he's even had conversations with guys mid-fight.

Holmstrom elbowed Wisienewski in the jaw. During the off-season, Holmstrom and Wiz play hockey together since Wiz is from around this area. They're actually friends.

Not shaking their hand is about as disrespectful and unclassy as you can get. Leave your team issues on the ice, but respect the person in front of you.

Then you don't belong in the sports world.

These guys have made careers out of playing one of the most emotional sports on the planet. They don't take this stuff personally. I mean, heck, NHLtv did a special on enforcers and Darren McCarty was on it. He said when you drop the gloves, it's never anything personal between you and the guy. It's just a sign of respect towards your team. He said that he's even had conversations with guys mid-fight.

Holmstrom elbowed Wisienewski in the jaw. During the off-season, Holmstrom and Wiz play hockey together since Wiz is from around this area. They're actually friends.

Not shaking their hand is about as disrespectful and unclassy as you can get. Leave your team issues on the ice, but respect the person in front of you.

Do you honestly think McCarty respects Lemieux?

its a great tradition because the VAST MAJORITY of teams do not play the way the Ducks do, and therefore they deserve respect. if it was just one ass hole like Lemiux with the Aves, fine shake their hands. but this is an entire team of tool bags. and its obvious theres no respect between these two teams so why the empty gesture?

Have the Ducks really been *that* dirty in this series? I've only been watching hockey since the mid 1990's, but I don't think they are playing exceptionally dirty at all, especially in the context of playoff hockey.

I liked what Cheli did a cople years ago when he just left the ice without staying in the had shaking line.

ah, i forgot about that incident.

i actually didn't feel all good about it, i felt like Chelios should have just stood in line like everybody else.

and i have to stick to that opinion for tomorrow no matter what happens, as much as id love to see the entire Wings team diss them and just skate off without a handshake due to the Ducks' insult to the game by way of their play,

it wont happen.

Do you honestly think McCarty respects Lemieux?

He may not, but he'd still shake his hand after a game. Doesn't mean he has to go have beers with him down at the bar. It's sports etiquette. Even Draper doesn't have any hard feelings toward Lemieux anymore.

It's really us, the fans, who gets so up in arms about this kind of stuff. The players take this kind of crap in stride.

Ok lets say something happens in game 7 and some player pulls a bertuzzi on one of the wings players. You are saying you would still shake his hand? That is absolutely ridiculous. The argument in this topic is that you would shake their hands no matter what happened on the ice. So in this case I described to you ,would you still shake the players hand?

That's dumb, because if that did happen, that player wouldn't BE on the ice during the handshake. A game misconduct kicks you out.

Again, if one guy bones up and is disrespectful, do you pout and sit out and then get reamed in the media for it?

Brodeur has the best reaction: respect the tradition, but if you hate someone that much, don't shake HIS hand.

In this instance, you don't think all of Detroit wouldn't want to shake Hiller's hand? He's been quiet, he doesn't flop or dive, he does his job, and he's the other reason Detroit had to do this is seven games. The athletes appreciate that talent, they respect that.

Edited by kidish

He may not, but he'd still shake his hand after a game. Doesn't mean he has to go have beers with him down at the bar. It's sports etiquette. Even Draper doesn't have any hard feelings toward Lemieux anymore.

It's really us, the fans, who gets so up in arms about this kind of stuff. The players take this kind of crap in stride.

Ok in favor of sport etiquette i guess i would shake their hands, but that doesn't mean it is out of respect of them or that i respect them. My biggest problem with this is when people say it is about being respectful because I certaintly am not going to give someone that when I don't get it in return. Does that make any sense?

Ok in favor of sport etiquette i guess i would shake their hands, but that doesn't mean it is out of respect of them or that i respect them. My biggest problem with this is when people say it is about being respectful because I certaintly am not going to give someone that when I don't get it in return. Does that make any sense?

I get what you're saying.. but I think it's more out of respect for the game than out of respect for the player.

what a bunch of cry babies, stop whining, win or lose its tradition

Nobody is whining, buddy. We're just talking about whether or not we think post-game handshakes would get awkward.

Stop "whining" about us "whining".

Someone already said it but it bears repeating: if someone does something that bad, they're not out on the ice anyway. And if it's like Clod, where they stay on the ice anyway, there are plenty of things you can say in the handshake line, out of the way of the cameras, to convey your feelings. In any case I want our players to take the high road at all times.

Nobody is whining, buddy. We're just talking about whether or not we think post-game handshakes would get awkward.

when the game ended last night i was thinking the same thing, because obviously these two teams hate each other, but its tradition, The guppies hate us as we hate them as well and at the end there was respect on both sides.

As awkward as it may be you shake your opponents hand after the game no matter what. What Chelios did, while understandable was wrong and embarrassing. There's a time and a place to make a statement, but you disrespect the game itself if you forgo one of its greatest traditions.

Haha, hilarious! Good call.

The tradition is stronger than the win or lose emotion. I don't think it is awkward for the guys, it's just...tradition. They all know it's coming. Yet they play with all their hearts before it does. It's a great tradition, and I'd refuse to be a fan of a team that disrespected this tradition.

...because at least your team gets to have it, mine...not so much!

It was pretty funny last year when Brodeur refused to shake Sean Avery's hand :lol:

Don't think anything like that will happen after this series. Although if I was a Wing I'd find it hard to shake the hand of many of the Ducks..

Well in the case of Avery, I think that Brodeur just pratice good hygiene habits; I don't want to know where HIS hands have been. :unsure:

Shake hands, show respect. You didn't play a bunch of minor leaguers who didn't play the same 82 game season you did. Whether or not we like players from opposing teams doesn't mean they're not all our favorite athletes because they play Hockey.

"I can't believe I shook his freakin' hand" -- Dino Ciccarelli

(This spat, after Claude Lemieux destroyed Kris Draper's face.)

---

I don't think anything that has happened in this series thusfar would keep any Wing from shaking hands with any of the Ducks players. ESPECIALLY when we bounce them from the playoffs.

I have to agree with many of the people here...it may be awkward, but man up show some class and shake hands regardless of what had happened over the games.

I remember when I was younger and played summer baseball, we had a three game series between another team, we lost all three , we were all mad and upset, but we shook hands. Our coaches also made us say "great games" to each player...Granted we were 7, but still. If 7 year olds can do that, why not 20-40 somethings?

When I had found out about Brodeur not shaking Avery's hand I shook my head at his pettiness. Yeah I know Avery was giving him hell and doing really stupid things in front of him over and over and over, but still, he should have maned up shook his hand or at least said, "Good game you little jerk"

Even Dino shook Lemieux's hand after Drapes had gotten his face smashed by him, and then we get the fun quote, "I can't believe I shook his hand!" But you know what...he did.

This is the difference between fans and players. This is their job, their life, and they want to be happy doing it. For us fans, it's a diversion so we can afford to get excessively emotional about certain situations or players. I guarantee Homer will have that trademark grin on his face when he shakes Pronger's hand and Pronger will congratulate him on a tough series (and hopefully wish him well against Chicago). These are professionals, not teenagers.