• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mindfly

Wings' Draper a last-minute decision for Game 7

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly
DETNEWS

Red Wings center Kris Draper is a game-time decision for Thursday night's Game 7 against Anaheim. Draper has missed the entire series because of an "upper-body injury."

"I've said my piece to the doctors," said Draper, who has taken part in the pre-game skates and practices during the series. "It's out of my hands. Hopefully I get the nod and am able to (play).

"I've been trying to get in for a long time now. This is something I want to be part of and I've stated that. We'll see. I'll probably find out when I get to the rink or just before warm-ups.

Advertisement

"My preparation is that I'm going to play, but I don't get the last say. That's the unfortunate thing."

Coach Mike Babcock understands why Draper would want to play, to be part of a Game 7 in an incredibly competitive series.

"It's an unbelievable opportunity, it should be a lot of fun and Draper wants to play and I don't blame him," Babcock said. "I don't make those decisions. The doctor makes those decisions. When the doctor makes that decision at game time, I can get involved."

FREEP

Update from Joe Louis Arena: Kris Draper may play tonight when the Red Wings take on the Ducks in Game 7 of their second-round series.

Draper has yet to appear in the playoffs because of an undisclosed injury.

Draper has been practicing all along, so conditioning isn't a problem. His assets are his speed and his faceoffs, in addition to being part of the penalty kill rotation.

As for whom he'd replace, it'd probably be Kirk Maltby, although he's played well. Darren Helm is too valuable because of his speed, and Justin Abdelkader, at least when I talked to him this morning, said he was sure he was playing.

BRUCE MACLEOD

Will Kris Draper play tonight? Coach Mike Babcock deferred when asked the question, saying that's the medical staff's decision, not his. Babcock said that Draper will be evaluated at game time.

At least that's telling us that he's no longer being ruled out early in the day. Makes you think that Draper is either ready to play or will be soon.

I don't think this is about making room for Draper in the lineup. He's been put on wing before and just the value of Draper's faceoffs will make him one of the 12 forwards to play when he's ready.

Edited by mindfly

Totally glad that Drapes might be back and that Raf is back but any chance that maybe what we saw in Game 6 was because the chemistry was off a bit with the addition of Raf? I probably shouldn't be concerned but just a thought.

Totally glad that Drapes might be back and that Raf is back but any chance that maybe what we saw in Game 6 was because the chemistry was off a bit with the addition of Raf? I probably shouldn't be concerned but just a thought.

IMO what we saw in game 6 was more about effort than anything. Because Raffy actually looked pretty good, and he and Z were just barely off from giving the wings an early goal. JMO

If he can go put him in. He's very valuable for faceoffs in the defensive zone and on the PK.

This x 1000

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Cleary

Franzen-Filppula-Hossa

Holmstrom-Helm-Hudler

Abdelkader-Draper-Samuelsson

oh man that looks good......

this to me means Draper saw the Dr this morning and was cleared to play. Now its up to Babcock to decide who he will want to sit a guy who hasnt played since the end of the regular season or a rookie. Personally Id play Draper for his experience his roll on the team his speed his ability to win faceoffs and his deffensive mindset.

listen to this interview on tuesday he did with the fan 590. He said they would look at him in the morning and hopes to be ready and play.

http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media.jsp?c...512_125107_7988

Edited by shoe

This x 1000

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Cleary

Franzen-Filppula-Hossa

Holmstrom-Helm-Hudler

Abdelkader-Draper-Samuelsson

oh man that looks good......

Yeah, mostly. ^_^ But why not Abdelkader-Draper-Maltby? And yeah, I like the way Sammy's been playing, but can you imagine the havoc that fourth line would create?!

I have to think that Abdlekader will sit if Draper's in.

You need experience in Game 7. A Draper-Malts have chemistry. PLus Malyby kills penalties.

Although Abdlekader has played really well, I agree. Hopefully Draper is in tonight.

draper would be an awsome add onto the team in its most time of need!! please oh please have draper ready to roll for tonights game

I would love to see Rafalski and Draper play, but does anyone out there not agree with me when I say...LEAVE it as it was for games 4&5...???? The Wings dominated both those games, the lines worked for those games...so, if something is working....why change it up?!?! And where the heck was Huds for game 6?!.......and I love Cleary, but he needs to stop hanging on to the puck so dang long!

I have to think that Abdlekader will sit if Draper's in.

You need experience in Game 7. A Draper-Malts have chemistry. PLus Malyby kills penalties.

I think that´s the way to do it.

Experience counts more than ever now.

It would be awesome to have Drapes with his faceoff skills back. :)

If Draper is back tonight that's huge for us, just have to see who Babcock decides to sit. I'm thinking Abdelkader sits.

It is only huge if he is ok to play. In my opinion Abdelkader sits.

Need Maltby to stir some s*** without taking a penalty.

I would love to see Rafalski and Draper play, but does anyone out there not agree with me when I say...LEAVE it as it was for games 4&5...???? The Wings dominated both those games, the lines worked for those games...so, if something is working....why change it up?!?! And where the heck was Huds for game 6?!.......and I love Cleary, but he needs to stop hanging on to the puck so dang long!

Huds was busy setting up Franzen for our only goal. Huds isn't the problem, as he has been productive. I do agree with you about cleary, and he needs to stop trying to clean the ice with his uniform. As for leaving it the way it was for game 4 and 5, that is impossible with Kopecky being injured. We could leave it the way it was for game 5, but not game 4. I liked the way Abdelkader played in game 5, was not so crazy about him in game 6.