• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dynheart

Chris Osgood..wow!

Rate this topic

I'm posting in this thread just because I don't want this point to be taken for granted. It was BY NO MEANS a foregone conclusion that we would get good, or even passable, goaltending this postseason. Our regular season goaltending was TERRIBLE. Even if he's done it before, what Osgood is doing this playoff run is nothing short of amazing. To look at old highlights from 1993-94 (the loss to San Jose) and to think that was about 15 years ago, and this is the SAME GUY still leading us to the Playoffs in 2009 is unfathomable.

And if you think about all of the "replacements", like Vernon, Hasek, Essensa, Ranford, Joesph, etc. that we've used in the meantime, and how many times the fairweather fans in this town pissed all over him (and ran him out of town in 2001), and how different today's game is than the game in 1993, it's even more remarkable that he's back and better than ever.

no kidding, all these people with their nose held up high is rediculous. i love ozzy as much as the next guy, but how could you honestly, realistically have had 100% faith in the guy after the regular season performance?

hes been fantastic in this post season, and for that i give him all the credit in the world. im not gonna eat any crow though, because i never contributed to the "ozzy sucks" threads, i just didnt have the perception that he could perform at a high level. go ozzy your truly the best, and the definition of a red wing to me. this series was made by him.

no kidding, all these people with their nose held up high is rediculous. i love ozzy as much as the next guy, but how could you honestly, realistically have had 100% faith in the guy after the regular season performance?

hes been fantastic in this post season, and for that i give him all the credit in the world. im not gonna eat any crow though, because i never contributed to the "ozzy sucks" threads, i just didnt have the perception that he could perform at a high level. go ozzy your truly the best, and the definition of a red wing to me. this series was made by him.

I had pretty much confidence in him for the following reasons...

His solid playoff run last season.

Unless we have Titanic Part II, the Wings are going to have little/no trouble making the playoffs. Regular season success/struggles doesn't necessarily = what will happen in the postseason.

Would I like a "money" goalie right now like Luongo or Hasek in his prime playing with the Wings to make me feel completely 100% comfortable at goalie? Without question. But the goalie isn't the end-of-all-end solutions to winning the Stanley Cup, and Luonogo didn't carry the Canucks to the Cup.

My point is more/less I never fully have 100% faith in just solely one person no matter how much of a superstar or team player they might be, because hockey isn't just an individual sport.

As long as Osgood (and all the other Wings players) do their part on the ice, they have a good chance of winning games more often than not. That means just making saves when needed, keeping brainfarts to a minimum, etc. Not so much having to steal so many games. Osgood has done this so far.

I also have never doubted Chris Osgood. I've always had faith in him that he could get the job done. He was absolutely amazing in the series against the Ducks. He's a huge part of the reason why we're going into the WCF. I love the guy and cant give him enough praise. Oh and the save in the 1st last night was unbelieveable! Way to go Ozzie!!

Guest Shoreline
I had pretty much confidence in him for the following reasons...

His solid playoff run last season.

Unless we have Titanic Part II, the Wings are going to have little/no trouble making the playoffs. Regular season success/struggles doesn't necessarily = what will happen in the postseason.

Would I like a "money" goalie right now like Luongo or Hasek in his prime playing with the Wings to make me feel completely 100% comfortable at goalie? Without question. But the goalie isn't the end-of-all-end solutions to winning the Stanley Cup, and Luonogo didn't carry the Canucks to the Cup.

My point is more/less I never fully have 100% faith in just solely one person no matter how much of a superstar or team player they might be, because hockey isn't just an individual sport.

As long as Osgood (and all the other Wings players) do their part on the ice, they have a good chance of winning games more often than not. That means just making saves when needed, keeping brainfarts to a minimum, etc. Not so much having to steal so many games. Osgood has done this so far.

I also have never doubted Chris Osgood. I've always had faith in him that he could get the job done. He was absolutely amazing in the series against the Ducks. He's a huge part of the reason why we're going into the WCF. I love the guy and cant give him enough praise. Oh and the save in the 1st last night was unbelieveable! Way to go Ozzie!!

Indeed. :thumbup:

Moar luv for Ozzie. Pisses off the haters.

In all fairness, some of us did. We just did. Based on many things. Most of which we were ridiculed for, as many posters called him a "piece of ****", a "worthless human being", and practically demanded that he be waived and/or sent down to the minors, never to don the Winged Wheel again.

And most of THOSE types of statements....

Were made with great authority by "people with their nose held up high" who accused those of us who did, in fact, have 100% faith, of being blind, stupid, or worse.

Oz has played well. Better than well. As a few of us KNEW he would....as he, his TEAMMATES and his COACH, told you he would.

Hopefully he continues to do so. The Wings need him. Perhaps some are starting to realize for the first time....

That he's no "weak link". He's not "along for the ride". And that the Wings need Osgood at least as much as he needs them.

I can't believe you just used the words "money goalie" and "Luongo" in the same sentence.

Roberto Luongo is not "money". Roberto Luongo is "loose change".

And you can take THAT to the bank.

Some of us believed in Ozzie all along.

Gotta love rubbing it in the faces of haters and doubters. :D

See, I prefer to let Ozzie's play be what gets rubbed in their faces, rather than me going "ha ha" or something. I really hope if the hockey karma juju gods smile on us and we lift the Cup again, everyone that never doubted Ozzie and got s*** on by people for it all have a nice thread where people just apologize to us for being so rude.

See, I prefer to let Ozzie's play be what gets rubbed in their faces, rather than me going "ha ha" or something. I really hope if the hockey karma juju gods smile on us and we lift the Cup again, everyone that never doubted Ozzie and got s*** on by people for it all have a nice thread where people just apologize to us for being so rude.

Ya know, I couldn't care less that those of us FANS who never doubted Oz get any kind of recognition for it.

What I'm hoping for, should the hockey karma juju gods smile on us and we lift the Cup again, is that everyone who ever doubted Ozzie, who called him a "piece of ****", "a worthless human being", and stated without doubt or reservation that he was "done", and that he would SUCK in the Play Offs, would line up in front of his house, (and that line would snake 'round the block a FEW times), offer their sincere apology, and then bend over and allow him to proffer the swift kick in the ass they so richly deserve.

Ya know, I couldn't care less that those of us FANS who never doubted Oz get any kind of recognition for it.

What I'm hoping for, should the hockey karma juju gods smile on us and we lift the Cup again, is that everyone who ever doubted Ozzie, who called him a "piece of ****", "a worthless human being", and stated without doubt or reservation that he was "done", and that he would SUCK in the Play Offs, would line up in front of his house, (and that line would snake 'round the block a FEW times), offer their sincere apology, and then bend over and allow him to proffer the swift kick in the ass they so richly deserve.

I will sell a vital organ to get the money to sit across the street from his house and watch that.

It wasn't the asking more of Ozzy it was the Ozzy sucks, worst goalie, won't make it past the first round with him in net, etc. and the constant mocking (head in the sand, don't understand hockey, etc.) of those of us who said he would be great come playoff time. That is what he was talking about (and lots of that went on) not the Ozzy is a good goalie but playing badly and needs to play better crowd.

Here are a couple of examples of those threads

Here

Here

and

Here

I'm sorry but it is true - Osgood sucked all season long - right now he's completly another player. If somebody knew it that he's going to be so good (great) in the playoff then he/she should play LOTTERY!!!

I don't want to take anything from him - he's GREAT so far in playoff but when people started bashing him I think that was well deserved let's be HONEST! I hope he get his 4th rings.

Fairness in Conversation Act: Ozzie has only "won" 2 Stanley Cups as far as the Hall of Fame would be concerned...1997 belonged to Vernon. Though it certainly helps his cause that he basically relegated Dominik Hasek to the BENCH in 2008 to get his second Cup, even if Dom was significantly older at that point. To say that he "won" the 1997 Cup is kinda like saying Jamie Pushor won a Cup, or any of the backups for Grant Fuhr when the Oilers were winning in the 80's.

But I do think he's a Hall of Famer. Critics will say that he's a product of the system, but that same "system" failed to win Cups with other well-established goaltenders. Also, if you look at the 2003-04 season with the Blues (plus the 1st Islanders season), he was actually a pretty solid goaltender for some pretty mediocre teams. But irrespective of all that, it's kinda like the Kurt Warner effect. He had moderate Hall credentials up to the point where everyone said he was washed up. But after he came back from that and restored his former glory, you put it altogehter and it's a pretty convincing case to enshrine him in Toronto. Plus, the Hockey Hall of Fame is arguably the least selective of all the Hall of Fames anyway.

Jamie Pushor DID win a Cup. Two of them actually. Your point's well received, but Ozzie's name's on the thing three times. He wasn't exactly a bit player on that team either--he started most of the RS games, don't forget.

Where do you draw the line for something like that? Are 4th liners allowed to say they won the Cup? Do we just identify the five most important players to a Cup run and tell everyone else to quit gravytraining it? What about someone like Hasek last year? Yeah, he was benched, but he still won two playoff games for us, which has to count for something.

Also, it's kind of weird that you say that the system failed with other established goaltenders but also say that 1997 belonged to Vernon. Throw in Hasek in 2002, too. So basically, of the Wings' primary goalies since the mid-90s, more of them won Cups (Vernon, Osgood, Hasek) than didn't (Joseph, Legace).

I'm sorry but it is true - Osgood sucked all season long - right now he's completly another player. If somebody knew it that he's going to be so good (great) in the playoff then he/she should play LOTTERY!!!

I don't want to take anything from him - he's GREAT so far in playoff but when people started bashing him I think that was well deserved let's be HONEST! I hope he get his 4th rings.

If we're "being honest" I guess Osgood's the only player who's ever had a bad season, right? Yeah, that's it. He's the only goalie to ever have a lousy GAA and the only goalie to ever lose big in the regular season. People always bash Ozzie because he's easy to scapegoat... but get serious. The D in front of him in some of those losses was abysmal. It doesn't really matter though. Those of us who know our goalie never doubt him. Neither does his team. Love your goalie.

Ya know what I can't wait for? The inevitable soft goal. Ozzie does that. It's a character trait.

And then the "ZOMG Ozzie is done we will never win with Ozzie we are doomed" threads start (which will thread-bleed into a fighters thread...).

And then Ozzie tosses back-to-back shut outs up on the board and the Wings advance.

And we get another "I love Ozzie" thread.

Someone sig this. Nostradamus has spoken, *******.

Ozzie is a quiet terror between the pipes. He is doing his job and that is playing hard, and proving all the nay sayers wrong.

GO OZZIE!!!

GO WINGS!!!!

Lets keep Lord Stanleys Cup where it belongs. here in Hockeytown!!!

also, don't look now, but who is he odds on tho get the Conn Smythe from our team, should we win? Right now, you cannot argue against Osgood!

Yeah, but if a forward with ok numbers now blows up for 8 goals and 5 assists in the SCF, he gets it. Basically, it's too early to even handicap the Smythe race.

I always had Ozzie's back 100% of the way. My roommate claims to be a Wings fan, but trashes every player on the Wings NOT named Zetterberg. He was especially cruel to Ozzie, saying Conklin should be the starter in the playoffs. I then proceeded to tell him I would rather lose in the playoffs with Ozzie in goal, than win in the playoffs with Conklin, and I 100% meant it.

Thats not a knock on Conklin, hes amazing, but I just feel bad for Ozzie because it seems like hes the goat of everything. Its almost like when he wins, everyone pretends to be his friend until he starts to lose. It sucks because it seems to me like he LOVES to play for Detroit, and LOVES their fans, even when the majority of them treat him like s***, until he wins. Ozzie has done nothing but win for the Wings.

The Wings should be lucky that Ozzie still wants to play goal for them. How many teams can say that they won a stanley cup with a starting goaltender, and the won another cup a decade later with the same starting goaltender? (98 and 08). Ozzie is by no means Martin Broduer, but he does his job, and to be honest, the Wings can win with him and his salary. This allows Detroit to eat up some salary with other, higher skilled/priced forwards. Detroit wouldnt have been able to afford Hossa with Luongo or some other allstar keeper, and we are looking at the Wings 3rd appearance in the Conference finals in just as many years.

long post short- Did I 100% trust Ozzie would play as well as he has soo far in the playoffs? No. But did I 100% have his back the whole way through the season? Yes. Detroit doesnt deserve the respect and loyalty Chris Osgood gives it. He speaks nothing but the best of the fans even though they are so bipolar towards him. Remind me again how long he spent outside signing autographs after the parade last year? The guy gives his heart to this team and the fans, the least we can do is back him up.

I know, I know, WIN WIN WIN, but the Wings are still in the conference finals with such a "mediocre" goaltender. not too shabby I say.

:clap::clap:

also, don't look now, but who is he odds on tho get the Conn Smythe from our team, should we win? Right now, you cannot argue against Osgood!

IF the Wings win the Stanley Cup again and Osgood gets the Conn Smythe, there should be no questions and no objections to his worthiness to the Hall of Fame.

Osgood has simply brought his play (yet again) to another world in the playoffs as opposed to regular season play.