• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

XxGoWingsxX

Sorry to say but....

Rate this topic

I know we won tonight but, thats not the point. I'm tired of gray areas in rules. Why is it ok for one team to do something repeatedly and then have the other team get called every time they attempt it? We're at a point where the officiating is actually affecting the outcome of games. If you're going to call something a penalty early on in the game..it needs to be called later in the game too or not at all. I'm all for letting them play but after the Ducks first goal where Stuart moved and pronger went to push but missed and fell on top of osgood....I just can't understand how that goal stands?

If homer farted in Hillers face in that situation it would be a disallowed goal. Then, lets talk about dirty plays. Hossa at the other end chasing the puck behind the ducks net. Pronger straight up slams him while hossa numbers faced him....hossa didn't fall so pronger grabbed hossa's jersey and threw him down. Then i think it wasn't even two minutes later we got called on a hook where there was not even any contact when he reached the stick around. Also, someone please explain why Stu was penalized for laying out selanne? His arms were in, selanne had just touched the puck......even mickey said the ref didn't raise his hand for a delayed penalty until they selanne wasn't getting up.

Heres my stance....In sports, the rules need to be cut and dry...no gray areas. Either something is a penalty or it isn't. There should be NO debate about it. Call it all or let it all go but be ******* consistent with it for christ sake. To me, in order for something to be a real sport, the rules have to be called right down the middle and apply to both teams. The NHL fails to do this anymore and therefore to me, the NHL is no longer a sport. I used to watch any NHL game that was on tv but now it's getting hard for me to even watch wings games. It just saddens me that the greatest game in the world is being tarnished because of the league's lack of consistency.

Not just penalties either. I saw s*** in all of the series pretty much that was deemed suspendable....but Brashear is the only one, and the NHL released a statement saying anything like that would be suspendable...well, I saw all kinds of dirty tactics and the NHL stands behind their refs and turns their heads. It's a complete and utter joke. I grew up watching hockey in the Pre-lockout era. THAT was real hockey. The NHL is just watering it down in an attempt to draw new people in. Sure, that will work for so long but bandwagon fans come and go, and by the time bettman and Co. Realize this, the original fans will have moved on because its just hard to stomach. Bettman is alienating the true fans for new ones who will eventually get bored and leave. If s*** doesnt change, the NHL could be in trouble not too far down the line.

Is this your first playoffs?

This is so ingrained in the NHL they actually have a term for it, play off hockey.

The rules change in every aspect of the game.

It sucks, but it is how this *** ass league does it.

Same thing Bettman did in basketball when players coud run from the freethrow line as long as they dunk.

I feel for the refs in some ways, hockey is so fast, so much going on, Bettman and the NHL hangs the refs out to dry. They have too much power. One thing could solve the entire problem, every call, reviewable (other then whistles of course). Make every goal, every penalty reviewable. Wouldn't be too hard really. Coach gets 3 challenges, if the challenge goes in his favor, he doesn't lose one. Like Tennis. Simple, doesn't solve every problem but if done quickly could create excitement, and refs can get the calls right.

I feel for the refs in some ways, hockey is so fast, so much going on, Bettman and the NHL hangs the refs out to dry. They have too much power. One thing could solve the entire problem, every call, reviewable (other then whistles of course). Make every goal, every penalty reviewable. Wouldn't be too hard really. Coach gets 3 challenges, if the challenge goes in his favor, he doesn't lose one. Like Tennis. Simple, doesn't solve every problem but if done quickly could create excitement, and refs can get the calls right.

then hockey will be like basketball and football and there will be more stoppages then there is playing, f*** that

then hockey will be like basketball and football and there will be more stoppages then there is playing, f*** that

Yeah i think you got my point more than the other 2 guys did. I mean if they're going to let the boys play....they HAVE to at least call the bad/blatant ones...and in tonights game, there were blatant miss calls a-plenty

Also, someone please explain why Stu was penalized for laying out selanne? His arms were in, selanne had just touched the puck......even mickey said the ref didn't raise his hand for a delayed penalty until they selanne wasn't getting up.

i thought it was a good call (not initially, but after seeing the replay). the puck was near selanne but he wasn't looking for the pass. he had no idea the puck was coming to him, and then he gets slammed. it was, in my opinion, a good interference call.

now hudler's "interference" call... :confused1:

Edited by danijel

I agree with you.

My point was bad officiating in the play offs seems to be a tradition, and one the NHL is somehow proud of.

Like I said they even have a term for it, its thrown all over the media.

Play Off Hockey.

I definetely hear what you're saying. Plain and simple, the refs need to show some consistency.

Yeah. I mean I'm as pissed as the next Wings fan that we seem to get the short end of the stick more than often, but as a HOCKEY fan, I'm appalled by what goes on. And believe me, I know the difference between reg. season hockey and "playoff hockey" The problem is, as an earlier poster stated...it's not CONSISTENT. Why was it okay for Pronger to bodyslam Hossa to the ground away from the play, while Stuart gets two minutes for what was pretty clear was a clean hit? If it was vice versa, no, I wouldn't be AS mad, but mainly because I hate the Ducks and how they exploit the current system of inconsistency. I firmly admit to that hypocrasy. But, in the greater scheme of things, a penalty should be a penalty, period.

Yeah. I mean I'm as pissed as the next Wings fan that we seem to get the short end of the stick more than often, but as a HOCKEY fan, I'm appalled by what goes on. And believe me, I know the difference between reg. season hockey and "playoff hockey" The problem is, as an earlier poster stated...it's not CONSISTENT. Why was it okay for Pronger to bodyslam Hossa to the ground away from the play, while Stuart gets two minutes for what was pretty clear was a clean hit? If it was vice versa, no, I wouldn't be AS mad, but mainly because I hate the Ducks and how they exploit the current system of inconsistency. I firmly admit to that hypocrasy. But, in the greater scheme of things, a penalty should be a penalty, period.

The NHL has different rules for different players.

Pronger has been given license to do whatever he wants while on the ice. Been that way since he was on St Louis.

This is why the NHL is a second tier league, the rules actually change from player to player.

Again, Bettman did the same thing in the NBA. MJ could literally carry the ball and run with it, he also double dribbled all over the court.

Its lame but since the late 80's this is how the league has gone.

Yeah I hear you. The NHL is cool though.

It's like calls are made to maximize entertainment value and profit and it sucks. Just let them play and call it by the books in every game. Bettman overextended the NHL so now we have to worry about all this profit stuff with teams with small hockey infrastructures. He should have built the hockey infrastucture first before putting a pro team there if you ask me. Just sayin'

Also, someone please explain why Stu was penalized for laying out selanne? His arms were in, selanne had just touched the puck......even mickey said the ref didn't raise his hand for a delayed penalty until they selanne wasn't getting up.

Let's just debunk this before people catches on. On the replay you could see the ref standing in the corner next to the hit raising his arm almost immediately - the call was there from the start.

That said, I do agree some situations last night made me upset and they definitely weren't consistent.

Guest Shoreline

Your complaint is valid, but the NHL refs have long been inconsistent. There's just a number of problems from this fan's perspective that makes issues like s***ty reffing (from every angle and certainly not just regarding the Red Wings) more like the straw that broke the camel's back. Seriously. f*** these refs. They need to either be directed to call legitimate penalties rather than the chincy, small s***, or be fired, as well as the superior who is putting the game's integrity at risk (one of several instances of this) because of horrible officiating.

I know we won tonight but, thats not the point. I'm tired of gray areas in rules. Why is it ok for one team to do something repeatedly and then have the other team get called every time they attempt it? We're at a point where the officiating is actually affecting the outcome of games. If you're going to call something a penalty early on in the game..it needs to be called later in the game too or not at all. I'm all for letting them play but after the Ducks first goal where Stuart moved and pronger went to push but missed and fell on top of osgood....I just can't understand how that goal stands?

If homer farted in Hillers face in that situation it would be a disallowed goal. Then, lets talk about dirty plays. Hossa at the other end chasing the puck behind the ducks net. Pronger straight up slams him while hossa numbers faced him....hossa didn't fall so pronger grabbed hossa's jersey and threw him down. Then i think it wasn't even two minutes later we got called on a hook where there was not even any contact when he reached the stick around. Also, someone please explain why Stu was penalized for laying out selanne? His arms were in, selanne had just touched the puck......even mickey said the ref didn't raise his hand for a delayed penalty until they selanne wasn't getting up.

Heres my stance....In sports, the rules need to be cut and dry...no gray areas. Either something is a penalty or it isn't. There should be NO debate about it. Call it all or let it all go but be ******* consistent with it for christ sake. To me, in order for something to be a real sport, the rules have to be called right down the middle and apply to both teams. The NHL fails to do this anymore and therefore to me, the NHL is no longer a sport. I used to watch any NHL game that was on tv but now it's getting hard for me to even watch wings games. It just saddens me that the greatest game in the world is being tarnished because of the league's lack of consistency.

Not just penalties either. I saw s*** in all of the series pretty much that was deemed suspendable....but Brashear is the only one, and the NHL released a statement saying anything like that would be suspendable...well, I saw all kinds of dirty tactics and the NHL stands behind their refs and turns their heads. It's a complete and utter joke. I grew up watching hockey in the Pre-lockout era. THAT was real hockey. The NHL is just watering it down in an attempt to draw new people in. Sure, that will work for so long but bandwagon fans come and go, and by the time bettman and Co. Realize this, the original fans will have moved on because its just hard to stomach. Bettman is alienating the true fans for new ones who will eventually get bored and leave. If s*** doesnt change, the NHL could be in trouble not too far down the line.

In most situations I'd say, "what do you expect?"......but the last two games have been bad........REALLY BAD. So much so that if the Wings didn't pull out that win tonight, I probably would have been done with the NHL for good. That non call on Pronger, then that call on Stuart, then the blatant numerous penalties on Homer in front of the net....but the one that made me go over the top was the Hudler penalty for getting cross-checked into Hiller and being called "interference". Man o man, if that costed us the game, the NHL would be dead to me.

Note to NHL: FIRE EVERY SINGLE NHL REF AND BRING UP AHL REFS.

On freep.com, "the other side" article, all of the ducks were quoted as complaining that cleary pushed the goalie into the net with the puck. I don't see how they can say that. Maybe they hadn't watched the replay yet, becuase that didn't happen at all.

It amazes me that the ducks gripe at all about the refereeing. But whatever. Thank God we won that series. It would have been a tragedy if we hadn't.

On freep.com, "the other side" article, all of the ducks were quoted as complaining that cleary pushed the goalie into the net with the puck. I don't see how they can say that. Maybe they hadn't watched the replay yet, becuase that didn't happen at all.

It amazes me that the ducks gripe at all about the refereeing. But whatever. Thank God we won that series. It would have been a tragedy if we hadn't.

All religions would have immediately dissipated if we hadn't, because it would have proved once and for all that there truly is NO GOD. :P

Edited by ShanahanMan

When you're watching a hockey game, are you in a rush to get it over with? Who cares if it takes an extra 15-20 minutes to end because coaches would be able to challenge 3 plays. Wouldn't getting at least 3 major calls corrected be worth the extra time? I wouldn't have mined one bit waiting 15 minutes for the refs/Toronto to review Hossa's goal in Game 3 if there was the option for Babs to challenge the call. Why? Because it obviously would have had to be over turned, causing the game to go into over time, and giving the wings a chance to take game 3.

Guest E_S_A_D

+1

Totally agree. Lets slow down a fast paced game, maybe have 6 periods/ intermissions too... hell with that.

I said to my wife last night "if the wings lose, it's because of these BS refs and the league's instruction to f*** over the wings"... Good thing they didn't lose.

The refs were brutal. absolutely terrible

Its a fact that the NHL is not in the same class as the NFL or NBA, or MLB. ESPN let Versus have the TV contract because they knew they could make more money showing the NBA. Most potential NHL fans think the NHL is all about the fights. This morning I saw a 20 or 30 second ad on ESPN for the Stanly Cup Playoffs on Versus and it was nothing but fight clips. That is the image the NHL is promoting and that is why the only network that is willing to carry the NHL is Versus, which is into things like kickboxing, cage figting, All-Star wretsling etc. As long as "sending a message" and fighting are considered part of the game by the NHL management, the NHL will be a second class and second rate professional sport. Joe S

No doubt lastnight's officiating was disgraceful but it happens. I will say that when games are called like that it certainly makes the NHL look like joke. Rules are rules and should be observed by everyone out on the ice, players and officials alike. That being said, it makes this victory that much sweeter. They tried so hard to give that game to Anaheim and the Wings had no quit in them. They make me proud to be a hockey fan.

Who cares, we won. I don't. Celebrate.

See, this is a terrible attitude to me. Stick your head in the sand and let them get away with as much crap as they want as long as we somehow pull it out. It doesn't hold them accountable and NEXT time, we may lose because we didn't raise holy hell.

"We" as in RedWings management.

The NHL is giddy because they got away with letting the Ducks do virtually anything they wanted, just to keep them in the series and keep it interesting. Now the national media is saying, "what a great series!"

BS. The Wings would have won this series in 5 games, going away, if the reffing was anywhere based on reality.