• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rush

Our Arch Rival(s)

Rate this topic

Bump, just cause I want to know....

how did the Chicago fans come to hate Detroit so much? There's got to be some reason (aside from the obvious pwnage). Hate like that usually dosen't come out of nowhere.

Its simple. The Wings are the good looking built dude that can beat anybody's ass, drives the sweet 4x4 and the new ZR1 Vette, has the coolest, best looking girl, and makes a ton of money. The Hawks are the scrawny guy making no money, driving the rusted out Caprice Classic that smells like warm beer and vomit, has a skanky girl that bitchs at him and belittle's him infront of his buddies.

Thats where the hate comes from. The Have Nots hate the Haves.

I don't hate the Chicago BlackHawks at all. I am too young (20) to remember ever having a rivalry with them. They have been awful my entire lifetime. To me, it's no different then us playing anyone else. Perhaps this series, the Winter Classic, and more competition for the Central will change this. They do nothing for me at this point.

I dislike every team other than the Red Wings. However, the only teams I currently HATE are the Ducks and to a lesser extent (and for different reasons) the Penguins. :ranting:

Wow, we might be the same person.

Edited by ripham23232

Its simple. The Wings are the good looking built dude that can beat anybody's ass, drives the sweet 4x4 and the new ZR1 Vette, has the coolest, best looking girl, and makes a ton of money. The Hawks are the scrawny guy making no money, driving the rusted out Caprice Classic that smells like warm beer and vomit, has a skanky girl that bitchs at him and belittle's him infront of his buddies.

Thats where the hate comes from. The Have Nots hate the Haves.

:lol:

Thats one hilarious way of putting it

Plain and simple: envy

Edited by Statts

Bump, just cause I want to know....

how did the Chicago fans come to hate Detroit so much? There's got to be some reason (aside from the obvious pwnage). Hate like that usually dosen't come out of nowhere.

Historically there are other reasons for the Blackhawks/Redwings rivalry. It goes back to ownership, and you would have to be pretty old or a student of hockey history to know about this.

"Blackhawks owner and founder Frederic McLaughlin died in 1944. His estate sold the team to a syndicate headed by longtime team president Bill Tobin. However, Tobin was only a puppet for Red Wings owner James E. Norris, who had been the Blackhawks' landlord since his 1936 purchase of Chicago Stadium. Ironically, Norris had made a bid for what became the Black Hawks in 1926, losing out to McLaughlin. For the next eight years, the Norris-Tobin ownership, as a rule, paid almost no attention to the Blackhawks. Nearly every trade made between Detroit and Chicago ended up being Red Wing heists. As a result, for the next several years, Chicago was the model of futility in the NHL. Between 1945 and 1958, they only made the playoffs twice."

This is a brief account, and taken from a Wiki, but it at least gives a basic account of what was going on at the time. The Red Wings won 4 Stanley Cups during this time period, due in no small part to the incestuous relationship between the owners of the Wings and Blackhawks.

While most Blackhawks fans today may not understand the ins and out of that I think it's entirely reasonable to suspect that the hatred has been passed down from our fathers/grandfathers etc. I knew about this as a little kid - my dad told me about it. As a young Hawks fan I really didnt care, and over the last 15 years or so its been overshadowed by our own ownership issues, but I've always looked at the Wings as the team I like to see the Hawks beat and this old idea is probably the reason because I don't have any other real fundamental reason to hate the Wings.

Anyway, not trying to troll your board. Just thought I would toss in some insight.

Edited by milrtyme28

Allow me to rant here for a minute. I don't post much on any board, but I do a lot of reading. And what always seems to be a common theme on every teams board I read come playoff time is no matter what team / city Detroit plays, their fans seem to automatically assume the position or claim the title that *their* team is Detroit's biggest rival! Saw it a lot with Nashville in years past, saw it with Columbus in the first round, and of course with Anaheim having beat us the last two times we played in the playoffs.

Let me start with Anaheim, if I HAD to chose 1 team as our rival, I guess I would have to choose them, although it was no where near the true rivalry we had with Colorado. The teams from 03' had almost nothing to do with the teams from 07'. And Duck fans still bragging about that year just makes me laugh and think "Oh yea?!! What about the 2 times we meet in the 90's?! HUH?!" ... Makes no sense, but whatever they don't have much of a history so they gotta reach for anything they can get, so be it.

Now let's move onto Columbus. Or as they seem to think, Ohio State versus U of M!!! That and just anyone from Ohio absolutely despises anything to do with Michigan. I'll be honest, I don't get it. I live in Detroit, I live in Michigan, born and raised. I'VE NEVER MET ANYONE IN MY LIFE THAT EVER GAVE TWO f***S ABOUT THE STATE OF OHIO!!! My friends are all sports fans, my family mostly sports fans, trust me, NO ONE GIVES A s*** about your state- past the college football games!! OK?!! GIVE IT UP!! Columbus is NOT Detroit's biggest rival because your state hates us over some college football rivalry!

Now Chicago, for some oddball reason, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for ANY Chicago team. We don't hate Chicago in Detroit!! Where is all this HATE coming from?!! Are you all really just that much of a bunch of HATERS in Chicago? If Detroit woulda lost, I woulda been pulling for Chicago 100%, not even thought twice about it, that is, untill I just read their boards. Holy s*** they hate us lol!

News flash Chicago, just because we're both Original six, just because we're both in the Central Division, just because we played in the Winter classic, just because you THINK we're your arch-rivals.. WE'RE NOT!! Let the Wings build a little real history with our current teams before we start jumping the gun on this stuff.

And for god sakes.. stop the ******* hate. Ohio and Chicago both! Trust me, Detroit doesn't put a quarter of thought into this rivalry bulls*** as you two so desperately seem to want.

Wonderful post. I couldn't agree more with you in belief and experience. I lived in Columbus for 4 years and people would immediately ***** to me b/c they knew I was from Detroit. I told them that no one really gives 2 s***s about OSU. That would piss them off even more. Whenever you have a winning team that is beating the other teams, there is always going to be animosity and a perception of a rivary. I guess thats where the hate emminates from.

Good thread and for the reference had the Ducks beat us I'd definitely be rooting for Chicago to go all the way and if they beat us in the Western conference finals I'll still want to see them hoist the cup.

I've heard this from Red Wings fans before, but it's mostly from "new" fans...either bandwagoners, or people who started following Detroit in the 90's. I've held season tickets in Chicago for 15 years, and that's a lot of lean seasons. This isn't a new hatred...we've ALWAYS hated you. I've lived in St. Louis, and for whoever said that Blues fans hate you guys as much as we do is wrong. This is the first time we've been relevant in a while, and maybe that's why we're making news as Red Wings haters, but it's always been there. As far back as I remember, dating back to the Chicago Stadium days, "De-Troit SUCKS!" was the chant, even when Detroit wasn't even in town. For those who jumped on the wagon post-'95, you're obviously forgetting things like Probert punching Belfour out of nowhere in the playoffs, Konstantinov shooting the puck into the Hawks bench after the whistle, Peluso vs Kocur, etc. This isn't new. We have ALWAYS hated you, and for a lot of the old timers in Detroit, they hate us just the same. We're on a lengthy drought now, but don't forget the chants of "1950!" You guys haven't always been the team that you are now, either.

Regardless of how mu past comments look, I want to be clear. I'm not here to stir up s**t. We've been at the bottom for far too long, and in order to be the best, you have to beat the best. You've been the wrench in our cogs for a long time, and if/when we make that final step, we have to go through you. So yes, there is hatred for those of us who have been here for more than 15 years, and it will always be that way. This is going to be a good series...as a Hawks fan, I heard about how Calgary was going to beat us up. I heard about how Luongo was going to sweep us, before we made him look like a *****. Detroit is a better team than either of those teams, but the games still have to be played. I would be careful about counting us out. Everyone else has, and look where they are now.

I agree with a lot of your post, but I do have one minor thing to add. Please don't bunch the entire state of Ohio together. That really irritates me. I've lived in Ohio my entire life. I do not like Ohio State and I do not like U of M. I don't hate Michigan. As you can tell, I'm an enormous fan of Detroit Sports. Just because people from Columbus can be jerks, doesn't mean everyone from Ohio thinks the same way. Most people don't care about any rivalry to begin with.

Heck, most people I know in NW Ohio would like to see Columbus become its own state so it can stop being associated with the rest of us, haha! Only joking, but sort of not.

I just think the "Rivalry" with columbus comes with being so close together, playing each other often, and having the Red Wings be so darn good.

I've heard this from Red Wings fans before, but it's mostly from "new" fans...either bandwagoners, or people who started following Detroit in the 90's. I've held season tickets in Chicago for 15 years, and that's a lot of lean seasons. This isn't a new hatred...we've ALWAYS hated you. I've lived in St. Louis, and for whoever said that Blues fans hate you guys as much as we do is wrong. This is the first time we've been relevant in a while, and maybe that's why we're making news as Red Wings haters, but it's always been there. As far back as I remember, dating back to the Chicago Stadium days, "De-Troit SUCKS!" was the chant, even when Detroit wasn't even in town. For those who jumped on the wagon post-'95, you're obviously forgetting things like Probert punching Belfour out of nowhere in the playoffs, Konstantinov shooting the puck into the Hawks bench after the whistle, Peluso vs Kocur, etc. This isn't new. We have ALWAYS hated you, and for a lot of the old timers in Detroit, they hate us just the same. We're on a lengthy drought now, but don't forget the chants of "1950!" You guys haven't always been the team that you are now, either.

Regardless of how mu past comments look, I want to be clear. I'm not here to stir up s**t. We've been at the bottom for far too long, and in order to be the best, you have to beat the best. You've been the wrench in our cogs for a long time, and if/when we make that final step, we have to go through you. So yes, there is hatred for those of us who have been here for more than 15 years, and it will always be that way. This is going to be a good series...as a Hawks fan, I heard about how Calgary was going to beat us up. I heard about how Luongo was going to sweep us, before we made him look like a *****. Detroit is a better team than either of those teams, but the games still have to be played. I would be careful about counting us out. Everyone else has, and look where they are now.

Want to address a few things here I guess, so I'll quote the whole thing. My post isn't about the old' days, or old rivalry's. I'm sure all of the Wings fans here remember our rivalry with Colorado but I'm also sure as heated of a rivalry as it was, it's long gone. So addressing band wagon hoppers post 95' misses the point. As of right now, Detroit has no clear cut rival. You can try to make a case under a few different circumstances, I'm sure Chicago thinks we're theirs, but you're not ours. Anyways besides that, Chicago's clear hatred seems to go much deeper than hockey, same with Ohio's (obviously, they think everything is about OSU vs. UofM!) and I don't necessarily buy the "Detroit Redwings have been kicking our ass for so long it makes us hate you cause your team has been the best".

Chicago Bulls were the best for a long time, killed the Bad-boys and then went on to win a million championships, I didn't hate on you guys! Guess what, No one from Detroit did either. When people talked about your team they'd just kinda be in awe if it, none of this ******* VENOM and HATRED you guys seem to be so proud of, it's kinda FRAIL if you ask me, man UP! Sorry 2nd city, sorry you can't always be the best at everything. You don't have to always HATE someone that's got something better than you. God forbid you give poor' ole' De-TROIT a little ******* shine for anything.

And as far as counting you out, don't forget I do watch our teams play a lot, considering we're in the same division and all. I knew Chicago had what it took to beat both teams mentioned above, and I know not to count you out vs. Detroit. But even if I didn't think Chicago had what it takes to give Detroit a run for it's money I don't have to be careful about anything, not the end of the world home-boy. My team has of course won 4 recent cups, my cups have runith over, can't win em' all, ya know! And you can bet your sweet ass on one more thing, I'm not gonna ******* hate on your whole damn city like a bunch of haters to the west of Detroit does because "wahhhh my team didn't win I HATE you guys!!"

The think about a true rivalry is if you have to talk about it, then it probably isn't one. There was simply no doubt that once Claude took out Draper with that boarding, then smarted off to the press while celebrating his conference final win that was it. These things don't come around very often and they simply cannot be manufactured in the press. The Wings-AVs rivalry was the most intense of our era because it came from the players and the teams. To think, if he had just said, "I'm sorry, I hope he is okay" we might have missed out on 50% of the intensity.

Another thing. When you play your true rival, you have fear. You don't know you are going to win. You have doubts and it is a nail biting experience, but it is the absolute best when you do win. That is what I felt when we played the Avs - "Man is this going to be awesome, but holy crap, we could lose because these guys are dangerous!"

Give all this, the Ducks are the closest thing we have to a rival, but comparing them to the Avs rival is like saying both G.W. Bush and Abraham Lincoln were Republicans. It's not even close.

Edited by Stiffy

I've noticed the hate from chicago all season. I was also a little surprised as the feeling is nowhere near mutual. I think they would have to beat us in the playoffs for wings fans to return any hatred to the blackhawks but WOW do they hate us.

Gentlemen, it's not a hard concept to understand. Your team has been the jewel of the NHL the last decade, ours has been the dog s*** in the back yard. Yours has beaten us pretty handily, ours has stuggled to beat the likes of Nashville & Columbus. Yours has raised the Cup 4 times in the last 7 years, ours hasn't raised it in 47 years. We've played in the same division for decades, are in close geographic proximity of each other, & even have the same frickin' team colors.

The reason YOU guys don't hate us as much as we hate you, is that we've been irrealivant for the last 14 years. When your playing baseball in the neighborhood as a teenager, & someone's little brother is playing with you, ya arn't bothered much by him.

The think about a true rivalry is if you have to talk about it, then it probably isn't one. There was simply no doubt that once Claude took out Draper with that boarding, then smarted off to the press while celebrating his conference final win that was it. These things don't come around very often and they simply cannot be manufactured in the press. The Wings-AVs rivalry was the most intense of our era because it came from the players and the teams. To think, if he had just said, "I'm sorry, I hope he is okay" we might have missed out on 50% of the intensity.

Another thing. When you play your true rival, you have fear. You don't know you are going to win. You have doubts and it is a nail biting experience, but it is the absolute best when you do win. That is what I felt when we played the Avs - "Man is this going to be awesome, but holy crap, we could lose because these guys are dangerous!"

Give all this, the Ducks are the closest thing we have to a rival, but comparing them to the Avs rival is like saying both G.W. Bush and Abraham Lincoln were Republicans. It's not even close.

No truer words have been spoken :clap: A rivalry should come from the teams. HELLO CHITOWN THE TEAMS DON'T SEE THIS AS A RIVALRY. What current animosity is there with these two teams??? NOTHING!! The only ones who mysteriously believe there is are the Chicago fans high on who knows what.

Edited by Hockeymom1960