• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rush

Our Arch Rival(s)

Rate this topic

Allow me to rant here for a minute. I don't post much on any board, but I do a lot of reading. And what always seems to be a common theme on every teams board I read come playoff time is no matter what team / city Detroit plays, their fans seem to automatically assume the position or claim the title that *their* team is Detroit's biggest rival! Saw it a lot with Nashville in years past, saw it with Columbus in the first round, and of course with Anaheim having beat us the last two times we played in the playoffs.

Let me start with Anaheim, if I HAD to chose 1 team as our rival, I guess I would have to choose them, although it was no where near the true rivalry we had with Colorado. The teams from 03' had almost nothing to do with the teams from 07'. And Duck fans still bragging about that year just makes me laugh and think "Oh yea?!! What about the 2 times we meet in the 90's?! HUH?!" ... Makes no sense, but whatever they don't have much of a history so they gotta reach for anything they can get, so be it.

Now let's move onto Columbus. Or as they seem to think, Ohio State versus U of M!!! That and just anyone from Ohio absolutely despises anything to do with Michigan. I'll be honest, I don't get it. I live in Detroit, I live in Michigan, born and raised. I'VE NEVER MET ANYONE IN MY LIFE THAT EVER GAVE TWO f***S ABOUT THE STATE OF OHIO!!! My friends are all sports fans, my family mostly sports fans, trust me, NO ONE GIVES A s*** about your state- past the college football games!! OK?!! GIVE IT UP!! Columbus is NOT Detroit's biggest rival because your state hates us over some college football rivalry!

Now Chicago, for some oddball reason, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for ANY Chicago team. We don't hate Chicago in Detroit!! Where is all this HATE coming from?!! Are you all really just that much of a bunch of HATERS in Chicago? If Detroit woulda lost, I woulda been pulling for Chicago 100%, not even thought twice about it, that is, untill I just read their boards. Holy s*** they hate us lol!

News flash Chicago, just because we're both Original six, just because we're both in the Central Division, just because we played in the Winter classic, just because you THINK we're your arch-rivals.. WE'RE NOT!! Let the Wings build a little real history with our current teams before we start jumping the gun on this stuff.

And for god sakes.. stop the ******* hate. Ohio and Chicago both! Trust me, Detroit doesn't put a quarter of thought into this rivalry bulls*** as you two so desperately seem to want.

You should be pleased by it, cause Hawk fans hate for the Wings is a compliment of sorts. Your team has been the measuring stick by which a championship calibre squad has been compared for a decade & a half, while the Hawks during the same streach have been a debacle of a franchise.

During the 80s, when the Hawks were a premiere franchise, & the Wings were crap, Hawk fans didn't hate the Wings, they hated the North Stars. It wasn't until the 90s, when the Wings became legit, that the growing hate for the team to the north grew.

In recent years there has been a lot of reason to hate your team. Cups, media bias, players, Bowman, & not being able to beat you, are just a few. But I think things really intensified the last few years, where we have taken the season series (perhaps being over looked), only to be beat in twin shoot outs to start this season, then to get beat in the middle of the season when we were hot on your heels in the standings, & squashed on Nation TV in the Winter Classic.

If roles were reversed, I'd relish Wing fans hating on the Hawks, cause it's really a head nod.

Edited by Supertack

You should be pleased by it, cause Hawk fans hate for the Wings is a compliment of sorts. Your team has been the measuring stick by which a championship calibre squad has been compared for a decade & a half, while the Hawks during the same streach have been a debacle of a franchise.

During the 80s, when the Hawks were a premiere franchise, & the Wings were crap, Hawk fans didn't hate the Wings, they hated the North Stars. It wasn't until the 90s, when the Wings became legit, that the growing hate for the team to the north grew.

In recent years there has been a lot of reason to hate your team. Cups, media bias, players, Bowman, & not being able to beat you, are just a few. But I think things really intensified the last few years, where we have taken the season series (perhaps being over looked), only to be beat in twin shoot outs to start this season, then to get beat in the middle of the season when we were hot on your heels in the standings, & squashed on Nation TV in the Winter Classic.

If roles were reversed, I'd relish Wing fans hating on the Hawks, cause it's really a head nod.

Media bias??????? Oh, you mean AGAINST the Wings, right? Last nights Game 7 on Versus was a perfect example. Jonesy crying about the "ticky-tac" penalties against Getzlaugh and in the second intermission, NOT A WORD on the cross check on Hudler into Hiller to cause a power play and the resulting Ducks goal.

I could rample for hours with examples of NBC broadcasts of the media bias AGAINST the Wings, but I have other things to do right now.

Edited by zenway9

Excellent take, but I'm biased because it's more or less exactly what I think. Take St. Louis. However much hate there is for the Wings in Chicago, it's double that in St. Louis, easy. Why? Because every time the Blues are any good - that is, good enough to have legitimate Cup aspirations - we've squashed them. This to me is fun. All these teams think we're their biggest rivals because we keep beating them and because they want to beat us more than any other team in the league. Nuttin' wrong wit' dat.

Though, I dunno how the OP manages a soft spot for all Chicago teams. The Bulls and Hawk Harrelson calling games for the White Sox is enough to put them two teams down in my book. (Though I do kinda like da Bears and the Cubs.) Still, the Wings and Blackhawks really should have been a lively rivalry through the years and it never really worked out cause the teams were never good at the same time. (Mostly that's Chicago's fault.) That's why I'm really happy to see this series.

Allow me to rant here for a minute. I don't post much on any board, but I do a lot of reading. And what always seems to be a common theme on every teams board I read come playoff time is no matter what team / city Detroit plays, their fans seem to automatically assume the position or claim the title that *their* team is Detroit's biggest rival! Saw it a lot with Nashville in years past, saw it with Columbus in the first round, and of course with Anaheim having beat us the last two times we played in the playoffs.

Let me start with Anaheim, if I HAD to chose 1 team as our rival, I guess I would have to choose them, although it was no where near the true rivalry we had with Colorado. The teams from 03' had almost nothing to do with the teams from 07'. And Duck fans still bragging about that year just makes me laugh and think "Oh yea?!! What about the 2 times we meet in the 90's?! HUH?!" ... Makes no sense, but whatever they don't have much of a history so they gotta reach for anything they can get, so be it.

Now let's move onto Columbus. Or as they seem to think, Ohio State versus U of M!!! That and just anyone from Ohio absolutely despises anything to do with Michigan. I'll be honest, I don't get it. I live in Detroit, I live in Michigan, born and raised. I'VE NEVER MET ANYONE IN MY LIFE THAT EVER GAVE TWO f***S ABOUT THE STATE OF OHIO!!! My friends are all sports fans, my family mostly sports fans, trust me, NO ONE GIVES A s*** about your state- past the college football games!! OK?!! GIVE IT UP!! Columbus is NOT Detroit's biggest rival because your state hates us over some college football rivalry!

Now Chicago, for some oddball reason, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for ANY Chicago team. We don't hate Chicago in Detroit!! Where is all this HATE coming from?!! Are you all really just that much of a bunch of HATERS in Chicago? If Detroit woulda lost, I woulda been pulling for Chicago 100%, not even thought twice about it, that is, untill I just read their boards. Holy s*** they hate us lol!

News flash Chicago, just because we're both Original six, just because we're both in the Central Division, just because we played in the Winter classic, just because you THINK we're your arch-rivals.. WE'RE NOT!! Let the Wings build a little real history with our current teams before we start jumping the gun on this stuff.

And for god sakes.. stop the ******* hate. Ohio and Chicago both! Trust me, Detroit doesn't put a quarter of thought into this rivalry bulls*** as you two so desperately seem to want.

Nice Post!

I also read more than i usually post.

I disagree with the breakdown of the Columbus "rivalry". As a hockey fan in Ohio, we had three choices to adopt as our team, the Wings, Hawks, or the Pens. I had family living in Detroit, so i chose the Wings. I think it has less to do with the OSU/UM rivalry then you think(except for the frat boys). I see it more of a Bengals/Browns type rivalry. The Browns had the football market cornered in Ohio, untill the Bengals came into the league. Some fans went with their regional team, while others stayed with their old team. This can create a rivalry more in the fans hearts thean with the teams.

I would count myself as a "Red Jackets" fan, untill the playoffs. At the point I'm a Red Wings fan.

And as far as never meeting someone who gave a f*** about Ohio. Do some research, Ohio has played a large part in your life whether you know it or not. Chances are at least one person you know has ties to Ohio. And you can rarely go anywhere, outside of Ohio, that you won't run into someone from Ohio. I'll get off my soapbox now. :blush:

Oh yeah, "We don't give a damn bout the whole state of Michigan (except the Wings), we're from Ohio" J/K

Edited by Wingnut7781

Supertack! Sup. Always glad to see posters using their correct handles. Well nicely said and spot on. Your post pretty much sums it up.

As far as the other division teams, theres really no history with any of the other teams other than perhaps StLouis and they only rival the BlackHawks in suckage for the past decade/s. Maybe Columbus. Oh yes, theres been a few years here and there with StLouis but lets face it, StLouis is an insignificant 3 sport city where only the Cardinals matter and speaking of Cardinals, the NFL Cardinals bolted to Arizona. How embarrassing is that. StLouis is a Cardinals town and thats it. Maybe NASCAR.

Ohio? The pitiful Browns/Bengals have rivaled the Lions in futility. Baseball teams have fared better. But Columbus, its a college football town. Always was, always will be. The BlueJackets are an appendix in the sports scene there. 26th in league attendance with a playoff team. A O way to go O H I O.

Nashville? Lucky to still be in that city. 1 sport town. The Grand Ole Opry is a bigger draw. Ranked 28th in attendance this year.

Which brings us to the Blackhawks. Yes. We're not rivals? Perhaps. Not if you were born during the past 2 decades anyways but there are many older posters here. Under the leadership of Dollar Bill Wirtz, he managed to run the Blackhawk franchise into the ground. No matter, thats history and the franchise has had a resurgence as if nobodys noticed. Whether anyone here would care to admit it or not, the Blackhawks are back and won't be a one shot wonder either.

So heres to a good series guys. Everyone in Chicago's looking forward to it win or lose.

Edited by ChiGuySez

Media bias??????? Oh, you mean AGAINST the Wings, right? Last nights Game 7 on Versus was a perfect example. Jonesy crying about the "ticky-tac" penalties against Getzlaugh and in the second intermission, NOT A WORD on the cross check on Hudler into Hiller to cause a power play and the resulting Ducks goal.

I could rample for hours with examples of NBC broadcasts of the media bias AGAINST the Wings, but I have other things to do right now.

I think Keith Jones is still bitter at spending his career getting whooped on by Lemieux and co.

And as far as never meeting someone who gave a f*** about Ohio. Do some research, Ohio has played a large part in your life whether you know it or not. Chances are at least one person you know has ties to Ohio. And you can rarely go anywhere, outside of Ohio, that you won't run into someone from Ohio. I'll get off my soapbox now.

I'm not saying that. I guess what I meant to say was I've lived all over my state (except maybe the west side) from Detroit to the burbs to Houghton Lake and then back to Detroit and I've never met anyone who even mentions any kinda hate towards Ohio what-so-ever. Aside from our College football rivalry no one is upset with Ohio!! But you guys seem to hate us for some god-awful reason;p

No one says you guys have to fall in love with Detroit's ghettos when you drive here for Wings games or Cleveland fans for Tigers games, whatever, but the absolute venom you folks spit from Chicago or Ohio in particular is just beyond me. There is a genuine hate for Michigan and Detroit in general that goes way past hockey or basketball, but we don't feel that way about you guys, so I guess I don't get it.

The rivalry between the states of Michigan and Ohio stretches back to at least the early 1800s. No two states (to my knowledge) hate each other as much, which is partly why the rivalries between Ohio and Michigan sports teams tend to be elevated.

The WIngs are simply in a league of their own. Very few teams are actually competitive with them, which is why Wings fans don't feel a rivalry with many teams. Naturally those teams fans would hate the Wings and they would feel some obsession with defeating them. It would be the same if the tables were reversed.

Now, Chicago may some day be a true rival, but they're not yet. They have a talented squad and the games between Detroit and Chicago haev been getting contentious. But it takes more than a year or two of contentious games to build a real rivalry. Look at all the s*** that has gone on between Detroit and Anaheim over the years and that's STILL not technically a world-class rivalry. There's a rivalry there, for sure, but to me it's still awaiting that spark to send it into "grown up rivalry" territory.

So, if this series goes 7 games, and we face a few more times in the playoffs with each team winning a series or two, THEN it'll be a rivalry.

The rivalry between the states of Michigan and Ohio stretches back to at least the early 1800s. No two states (to my knowledge) hate each other as much

Well what ever it was, Michiganders have let it go by now. I live here so you can't really tell me any different. When I speak to anyone on a day to to basis, even when talking sports (Indians / Tigers - Cavs / Pistons - BJ's / Wings) I never hear any of this venom towards their state - EXCEPT the OSU v. UofM thing. Thats it. So whatever it was, Michigan for the most part has let it go, Ohio should try the same!

And Chicago holy s***, wow, I wanna say you guys hate us more than Ohio! Seems to definitely go past the Wings kicking your guy's ass the past 2 decades. You folks had the Bulls, basically ended my bad-boys era of basketball, and I don't hate you for it! Good run they had, grats! Stop the hate!

Edited by Rush

I wish the Colorado rivalry never would have faded out. That was the best. These otehr so called "rivalries" with the Ducks or Hawks are jokes compared to that.

If Colorado ever fields a decent team again, it could come back. We've seen glimmers of it occasionally. Despite the teams being compeltely different from the rivalry, the history that is there could spark a renewed rivalry someday.

If Colorado ever fields a decent team again, it could come back. We've seen glimmers of it occasionally. Despite the teams being compeltely different from the rivalry, the history that is there could spark a renewed rivalry someday.

"The brawl"

One of the best moments in hockey history. Will anything ever come close? Not in Gary "Gaylord" Bettmens lifetime.

"The brawl"

One of the best moments in hockey history. Will anything ever come close? Not in Gary "Gaylord" Bettmens lifetime.

Yeah, unless the refs ever let players get past the shoving and hugging matches, a truly great rivalry will never emerge for any team.

Yeah, unless the refs ever let players get past the shoving and hugging matches, a truly great rivalry will never emerge for any team.

Actually remember that HUGE bench clearer we had with St Louis on new years some years back? That could have started something. I remember Joey Kocur throwing a chair at the St Louis bench from our coaching corner.. lol.

Too bad. Gary Bettmen used the lockout to create the league he wanted. Not to get political but to quote that asshat Rahm Emmanaul "Never waste a good crisis". Bettman jumped on his opportunity to bring forth his dream of a pussified NHL.

And Chicago holy s***, wow, I wanna say you guys hate us more than Ohio! Seems to definitely go past the Wings kicking your guy's ass the past 2 decades. You folks had the Bulls, basically ended my bad-boys era of basketball, and I don't hate you for it! Good run they had, grats! Stop the hate!

I'd have to say that over the last month, I've heard more hate from Chicagoans regarding the Wings than any of fanbase of any sport that I follow. Needless to you, the Wings aren't liked here. Why the hate? I truly don't know and it can't just be the winning because the Wings have only won 4 Cups out of the last 11, which means there were 7 others that someone else won. We didn't even play Chicago in those 4 playoffs. Maybe some of the Hawks' fan can explain why but I've never really understood why they hate us besides we both Original 6 teams and are both geographically close which really aren't reasons to hate someone.

It wasn't until the 90s, when the Wings became legit, that the growing hate for the team to the north grew.

Maybe its just me but i would think a city being a few hundred miles to the east would make them a team to the east

Living here in Chicago I have also seen the hate. Just like another member on the boards I was at a bar once when the Hawks were playing and after they won they started chanting detroit sucks, and they weren't even playing detroit, and i dont even think it was the playoffs.

Edited by Namtaru

I've noticed the hate from chicago all season. I was also a little surprised as the feeling is nowhere near mutual. I think they would have to beat us in the playoffs for wings fans to return any hatred to the blackhawks but WOW do they hate us.

my thoughts exactly

Well what ever it was, Michiganders have let it go by now. I live here so you can't really tell me any different. When I speak to anyone on a day to to basis, even when talking sports (Indians / Tigers - Cavs / Pistons - BJ's / Wings) I never hear any of this venom towards their state - EXCEPT the OSU v. UofM thing. Thats it. So whatever it was, Michigan for the most part has let it go, Ohio should try the same!

I hate Ohio. It's nothing but one big soybean field from end to end. It sucks.

the Michigan-Ohio hate started over a border dispute in 1835, just search Toledo War. eventually the feds stepped in and awarded Ohio the land, but gave Mich the Upper Peninsula as a consolation prize. Michiganders were bummed until copper and iron were discovered there, actually worth more than the Toledo strip. BOOYAH! It all comes back in November for teh football game, then dies back down. I'd agree that its no longer a big hate, just a dislike. Ohio does have Cedar Point after all :thumbup:

Calling the Red Wings/Hawks a rivalry is premature at best. Any history between the two is ancient by now, this is a bandwagon if ever I saw one. I don't understand the immense hate from Chi-town....picking on our economy is uncreative and boring. Wow, GM's circling the drain? We've got a high unemployment rate? I really didn't know that!

Bump, just cause I want to know....

how did the Chicago fans come to hate Detroit so much? There's got to be some reason (aside from the obvious pwnage). Hate like that usually dosen't come out of nowhere.

Are you all really just that much of a bunch of HATERS in Chicago?

I think Chicago is just a bunch of 100% pure unadulterated HATERS! No other way to explain it. They go through life being known as the 2nd City and it's created some kind of inferiority complex.

Stop the hate haters.

Edited by Rush

I don't hate the Chicago BlackHawks at all. I am too young (20) to remember ever having a rivalry with them. They have been awful my entire lifetime. To me, it's no different then us playing anyone else. Perhaps this series, the Winter Classic, and more competition for the Central will change this. They do nothing for me at this point. :unsure:

I dislike every team other than the Red Wings. However, the only teams I currently HATE are the Ducks and to a lesser extent (and for different reasons) the Penguins. :ranting: